• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3 |OT| The fun has been TRIPLED!

Surprised you weren't here sooner, man.

Just saw episode 4 and I hated the episode for this exact reason. Horrible message.

I didn't really like this episode, mostly because I don't think it effectively tackled the subject of bullying (sacrifice yourself to save your bully and win their heart, and "tell an adult" aren't really solutions, although telling an adult can't hurt, and it's the most risk-free advice).

Just the other day I came off of watching SFDebris' review of Avatar the Last Airbender, in which he explained that he doesn't agree with fans who say that Azula's not a monster, that she's really a good person, and it's the world's fault, because the world made her a monster. He explained how (in his opinionated opinion) it's your choices that define you who are, and what you do now that matters, not your upbringing. Zuko chose to become a better person. Azula didn't.

Babs chose to become worse. And she didn't seem to show any signs of guilt or remorse while she actively and aggressively made the CMC miserable (just some occasional blank-flank shame). I don't think Babs was doing it out of fear of DT and SS, I think as a former victim, she liked the role reversal. She bullied Applebloom out of her own bed. DT and SS weren't in her bedroom.

When the CMC learned why Babs was a jerk, I don't think it should have stopped their plan to get even. Standing up to bullies and fighting back is just one more slice of the anti-bullying formula, even if you have to plan and strategize in order to compensate for weakness (interestingly, The A-Team frequently armed people to deal with bullying situations). And yeah, attacking your bully is a great way to provoke your own butt kicking, but that kind of retaliatory strike is usually just a required response, and afterwards you might find yourself less-targeted, since you're not worth the trouble.

The CMC seemingly stopped their attack (and took the hit for themselves) because of pity, but pitying your bully, and especially letting your bully know that you pity them, is often a really bad idea, because that sort of emotional attack cuts deep and may make a bully want to shut you up by making sure you never pity them again.

But... kids show in the modern world. They're not going to advocate violence.

Also, Apple Jack, the responsible adult, is probably to blame for this episode, because she deliberately didn't tell the CMC that Babs was coming to town to deal with insecurity issues regarding her blank flank, she just allowed the CMC to get all "CMC" up in Babs' face unsupervised, as everyone knew they would. I think I approve of setting up powder kegs, but you're at least supposed to watch them in case they explode, silly pony.

I didn't really like this episode, mostly because I don't think it effectively tackled the subject of bullying (sacrifice yourself to save your bully and win their heart, and "tell an adult" aren't really solutions, although telling an adult can't hurt, and it's the most risk-free advice).

Just the other day I came off of watching SFDebris' review of Avatar the Last Airbender, in which he explained that he doesn't agree with fans who say that Azula's not a monster, that she's really a good person, and it's the world's fault, because the world made her a monster. He explained how (in his opinionated opinion) it's your choices that define you who are, and what you do now that matters, not your upbringing. Zuko chose to become a better person. Azula didn't.

Babs chose to become worse. And she didn't seem to show any signs of guilt or remorse while she actively and aggressively made the CMC miserable (just some occasional blank-flank shame). I don't think Babs was doing it out of fear of DT and SS, I think as a former victim, she liked the role reversal. She bullied Applebloom out of her own bed. DT and SS weren't in her bedroom.

When the CMC learned why Babs was a jerk, I don't think it should have stopped their plan to get even. Standing up to bullies and fighting back is just one more slice of the anti-bullying formula, even if you have to plan and strategize in order to compensate for weakness (interestingly, The A-Team frequently armed people to deal with bullying situations). And yeah, attacking your bully is a great way to provoke your own butt kicking, but that kind of retaliatory strike is usually just a required response, and afterwards you might find yourself less-targeted, since you're not worth the trouble.

The CMC seemingly stopped their attack (and took the hit for themselves) because of pity, but pitying your bully, and especially letting your bully know that you pity them, is often a really bad idea, because that sort of emotional attack cuts deep and may make a bully want to shut you up by making sure you never pity them again.

But... kids show in the modern world. They're not going to advocate violence.

Also, Apple Jack, the responsible adult, is probably to blame for this episode, because she deliberately didn't tell the CMC that Babs was coming to town to deal with insecurity issues regarding her blank flank, she just allowed the CMC to get all "CMC" up in Babs' face unsupervised, as everyone knew they would. I think I approve of setting up powder kegs, but you're at least supposed to watch them in case they explode, silly pony.

Just saw episode 4 and I hated the episode for this exact reason. Horrible message.

I can definitely agree with this (especially the fact that they didn't show Babs having a hint of remorse through the episode. Just a little, would've helped I think, however my sister and I agreed that it's not bad to show kids that bullies usually have a reason behind their bullying and they're not always the typical "street punk stereotype" and with all the trouble you hear about bullying these days that this is definitely a good thing to show. Besides I think you're right, Cheerilee, they probably had to be careful not getting certain people upset by "encouraging" fighting back.

And I guess that song strikes a chord with me too. *sigh*....

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Surprised you weren't here sooner, man.

I can definitely agree with this (especially the fact that they didn't show Babs having a hint of remorse through the episode. Just a little, would've helped I think, however my sister and I agreed that it's not bad to show kids that bullies usually have a reason behind their bullying and they're not always the typical "street punk stereotype" and with all the trouble you hear about bullying these days that this is definitely a good thing to show. Besides I think you're right, Cheerilee, they probably had to be careful not getting certain people upset by "encouraging" fighting back.

And I guess that song strikes a chord with me too. *sigh*....

People seem to forget that they showed both types of bullies in the episode. They ramped up Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon a bit.

What a great and heartwarming episode, and im not really a fan of scootaloo or Rainbow Dash. The apparition of Luna was a really good surprise.

3 really good episodes so far this season, episode 3, episode 5 and 6 have been my favourites, lets see if they can continue this trend and we can go into season 2 levels of awesome nearly episode after episode (I know some people like more season 1, but my opinion is that 2 is the greatest).

This season 3 start feels more like season 1 start (without counting the Nightmare moon episodes wich were much better than the season 3 special), after Dragonshy the series took off into an amazing little show, but before that it was merely good, just like 1,2 and 4 of this season.

After watching them do it in some season 2 and season 3 episodes (like this last one) I prefer if they throw away the Celestia letter all together because it works much better like this and leaves the writters more space to do fun things that trying to stick it to a forced moral at the end.

BDGAME

Good episode. I don`t like the first and second episode from this season and the Bad seed is average. But that Pinkie episode is good, the magic Duel is amazing and that Scootaloo one is very good too.

In beginning I think that season 3 will be a flop, but now my faith is restore. Can`t wait more for the next episode.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Episode 7. Wonderbolt Academy

Rainbow Dash can't believe her luck when she gets an exclusive invitation to enroll at the Wonderbolt Academy, but soon she is wondering whether she is really cut out for the school and whether someone else would be a better fit.

Sounds expand the idea from The Last Roundup, with Applejack finding people better than her. I wonder if they will go for Dash not being able to keep up, or the more realistic (and in character) idea that Dash can't fit into a team that well. She can do a flying maneuver only known as myth, it would be odd to see better flyers than her. Dash not being able to work well with a team though, sounds much more plausible.

And I hope the cold opening has Dash and Scootaloo hanging out.

Rainbow Dash: "So, how many times have you all saves the wonderbolts?"

Pony 1: 5

Pony 3: 4

Pony 7: I saved 12 of Soarin's pies

Pony 2: Who hasn't saved a dozen of Soarin's pies"

Rainbow Dash: ...

Cheerilee

Just caught the latest episode. Thought it was great.

One thing that jumped out as me was, Rainbow Dash was shown putting in earplugs. And they confirmed that yes, those are earplugs, because RD couldn't even hear herself speaking while wearing them. And yet... RD was apparently the only pony to hear Scootaloo yelling?

Solution? Rainbow Dash was the only pony who was awake when Scoots started yelling. Luna woke RD up, as doing that served Luna's ends and solved a Scootaloo-fear problem that she felt like solving.

But RD doesn't scare so easily anymore. Luna can't easily jolt RD awake with a nightmare. So what kind of dream did Luna send to RD? I doubt she just revealed herself and gave the story to RD straight.

Link Man

Banned

One thing that jumped out as me was, Rainbow Dash was shown putting in earplugs. And they confirmed that yes, those are earplugs, because RD couldn't even hear herself speaking while wearing them. And yet... RD was apparently the only pony to hear Scootaloo yelling?

Solution? Rainbow Dash was the only pony who was awake when Scoots started yelling. Luna woke RD up, as doing that served Luna's ends and solved a Scootaloo-fear problem that she felt like solving.

But RD doesn't scare so easily anymore. Luna can't easily jolt RD awake with a nightmare. So what kind of dream did Luna send to RD? I doubt she just revealed herself and gave the story to RD straight.
Big Mac turning into Luna could have done it.

Orcastar

Well Inception taught us that dying in a dream wakes you up, so...

So, was Luna creating those nightmares herself to teach Scoots a lesson? That's what it looked like to me.
I don't think so. Seemed more like she was passing by and noticed the nightmares, and decided to intervene.

Then again, she was the Headless Horse, so who knows.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
EQD us reporting that Saturday's episode has somehow leaked. While we do discuss upcoming episode synopsis and official previews, please no spoilers if you're weak and watch it early.

Narag

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic S3 7

iUVh17EAuJjpd.gif

brian577

Banned
I guess the usual rule applies? If an episode is leaked we put it under spoiler tags?
Well that was not what I expected at all. What does this mean! This is has to be the biggest change to the status quo ever. Also, why was Spitfire's VA replaced?

Damn a leak... knowing my luck I'll find it and watch it... lol. Oh well spoilers are ok. I am still withdrawing from other shows, and games lately.

That said, I'll find it when it comes.

Very good episode. it was interesting
watching season 1 Rainbow Dash interacting with season 3 Rainbow dash.
A good way to show character growth.

judhudson

About Wonderbolts Academy

To me, it seemed...unfinished - no outcome so it felt like we didn't get the whole resolution. Maybe they'll continue on in the next episode (perhaps this is why we still dont know what Episode 8 is?). I was disappointed on that aspect.

But I did enjoy the character growth of Rainbow Dash and they took me by surprise that hey, RD isn't 100% of the douche I'd figure she would be.

And still no signs of Derpy. But then again, why would she be in the Wonderbolts Academy? She appeared in stranger places though...

Orcastar

Good episode and a pretty surprising conclusion. What does it all mean?!

Also no Derpy in such a pegasus-centric episode is just further proof that's she's gone for good. I mean that's half a season without her!

About Wonderbolts Academy

To me, it seemed...unfinished - no outcome so it felt like we didn't get the whole resolution. Maybe they'll continue on in the next episode (perhaps this is why we still dont know what Episode 8 is?). I was disappointed on that aspect.

But the airdate for Apple Family Reunion is 22 December.

judhudson

Good episode and a pretty surprising conclusion. What does it all mean?!

Also no Derpy in such a pegasus-centric episode is just further proof that's she's gone for good. I mean that's half a season without her!

But the airdate for Apple Family Reunion is 22 December.

Okay...I could of sworn there is an episode coming up without any details...Maybe its the 9th/10th one. Strange.

Wonderbolt Academy Spoilers:

Episode was decent, nothing too special. I think it would have been a neat twist ending if RD was out of the Wonderbolts. Everything LD got in trouble for, RD probably should have been in trouble just the same. LD couldn't have done all that stuff without RD, LD in authority or not. Then again, kids show.

Watching ponies punch clouds is cute.

Surprised to see many ponies from Hurricane Fluttershy returning. I'm glad to see Rainbow Dash growing as a character, so hopefully we'll see her as a full-fledged Wonderbolt soon. Also, tons of Rainbow Pie material

brian577

Banned
My thoughts on the episode

Everything with RD was great. She has certainly grown as a character and become far more mature while still possessing the same cocky attitude that made love her in the first place. However, as much as I enjoyed the scene with RD saving her friends I really wish they had no involvement beyond the opening. The rescue scene could have worked just as well with the other recruits. This was supposed to be RD's story and the rest of the mane 6 seemed to be just interfering. Everytime they cut away I just groaned because the story wasn't about them it was about RD.

Secondly Spitfires voice/personality, taking a character who's personality has been well established and turning her into a complete ***** is just plain lazy. Spitfire's is the captain of the Wonderbolts, not a drill sergeant. So now's she playing double duty as a trainer and captain? Would it have killed them to create a different character to play the drill sergeant?

Whogie

Fantastic episode. I'm glad to see they left it open ended, which allows the show to progress the plot. As opposed to most cartoons where everything goes back to normal at the end.

I hope we get an episode that covers Derpy's death.

Good episode, and not being a fan of rainbow dash, this two last episodes did good to her.

I love episodes when they show different things about equestria, like the academy.

$200

Banned
Looks like they have fixed the order of the episodes.

Episode 8 will now be Apple Family Reunion, while episode 9 will be
Spike at Your Service

Summary of episode 9:

Just as Spike is about to be gobbled up by hungry Timberwolves, he is saved by Applejack; Spike feels the need to repay Applejack and is soon offering a little too much assistance on the farm in order to fulfill the "Noble Dragon Code."

Who's "they"?

I mean, most sites (save Zap2It) said "Hearth's Warming Eve" was S2E11 when it aired, but (in the few times they actually acknowledged episode numbering) Hasbro was consistently calling it S2E13, which was later confirmed on Netflix and iTunes (the latter only after they broke the 26-episode seasons into two 13-episode chunks, but still).

Like I said, we're not gonna know for sure until after the fact. I'm gonna keep calling it S2E9 until proven wrong.

Looks like they have fixed the order of the episodes.

Episode 8 will now be Apple Family Reunion, while episode 9 will be
Spike at Your Service

Summary of episode 9:

Just as Spike is about to be gobbled up by hungry Timberwolves, he is saved by Applejack; Spike feels the need to repay Applejack and is soon offering a little too much assistance on the farm in order to fulfill the "Noble Dragon Code."

Regarding the spoiler:
I may have read far too many mangas/fetish sites/perverted fanfics, but the line that says 'too much assistance' made me laugh my ass off! God, today has been weird. I did however like an old fanfic idea of so called Mountain-Lions.. hehe, but that is another topic!!!

An obvious question does arise... WHERE WAS TWILIGHT?!? Poor Spike... That is all for now.

Regarding the whole 'leaked' episode, while being in the mood...:
Timing was FAR too good for this episode. Honestly, I though Rainbow has grown more than most of the other ponies, this Academy episode simply proves it. Granted, I do think she was ok with Scoots before, but something tells me, if she had been a Season 1 Rainbow Dash, being asked by the cute little filly, she would have said no, or something hurtful (unintentionally, as I find her to be more brutally honest than anything).

Spitfire, I honestly didn't see as a leader at all even if sh is a Captain, in the previous episode. It might have been because the whole 'Gala' thing, she was laid back. But, with the new voice (who I immediately heard as Gilda, and it made me laugh to myself), I couldn't take her seriously.

The Wonderbolts are essentially a stunt division of whatever 'Pegasi Air Corps' they have in Equestria... not some Marine Boot Camp. Spitfire CANNOT do an R. Lee Ermey or a Marine drill Sargent role. It simply doesn't fit her. Leader? I could see perhaps, but not THAT role. In her defense I think Soarin' would have been bad in a D.I. role as well.

Also, I highly am suspect the all these records were broken in one day... far too coincidental, but meh.. it is a cartoon. Dash 'quitting' at the end was unneeded too, but it showed growth. I do think Lightning shouldn't have been kicked out, punished yes, but not kicked out.

NOW MY RANT ON WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE. It is all in a nine-letter name:

Pinkie...

Fucking Pinkie Pie...

I hate her even more because of this episode. Here is why:

The good bye scene, and the whole mailbox thing... It was bordering on pure obsessive. I mean COME ON! There has to be party to fucking plan, and Spike to pick on. STOP WAITING ON RAINBOW!!! GAH!! I mean, Twilight leaves, no big issue. Rarity goes to Canterlot, brings a party, so at least was planning something. Spike leaves? She doesn't care (what a fucking surprise...)

Rainbow Dash leaves.... DON"T FUCKING FORGET ME!! HUG YOU TO DEATH!!! I LOVE YOU DASHIE!!!! PLEASE STAY, BUT GO FULFILL YOUR DREAMS TOO! WRITE ME, OR I'LL DIE!!!

I HATED IT! Gahh! It'll not only feed those who like Pinkie (sorry, just don't feel like beating around the bush), but the shippers too. I don't get it., I see why Rainbow likes her, I do.. but Pinkie has taken this to un healthy level, and I cannot stand it anymore.

Oh, and fuck the care package...(I wanted to say something more, but I think I vented about Pinkie enough. For now, anyway.

I still plan on watching tomorrow. I really look forward to it

Er, just to add to what I was saying - if "they" are Hasbro/The Hub themselves, then yeah, I'll take that at face value. (Their names for background ponies, on the other hand... eh.)

Have to agree with $200 there. The opener was... just not good. Enemy was pathetic, and... no, not going to voice why again. That said, the Season got better since then.

UberTag

Apple Family Reunion needs to be a Pony version of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
They could have brought in Randy Quaid to guest voice a role based on his Cousin Eddie character in the Vacation flicks.
It's not like he's doing anything else right now besides hiding out in Canada to begin with.

Felt the episode was pretty meh to be honest. Why oh why did it have to be Merriwether Williams?

Regarding the spoiler:
I may have read far too many mangas/fetish sites/perverted fanfics, but the line that says 'too much assistance' made me laugh my ass off! God, today has been weird. I did however like an old fanfic idea of so called Mountain-Lions.. hehe, but that is another topic!!!

An obvious question does arise... WHERE WAS TWILIGHT?!? Poor Spike... That is all for now.

Regarding the whole 'leaked' episode, while being in the mood...:
Timing was FAR too good for this episode. Honestly, I though Rainbow has grown more than most of the other ponies, this Academy episode simply proves it. Granted, I do think she was ok with Scoots before, but something tells me, if she had been a Season 1 Rainbow Dash, being asked by the cute little filly, she would have said no, or something hurtful (unintentionally, as I find her to be more brutally honest than anything).

Spitfire, I honestly didn't see as a leader at all even if sh is a Captain, in the previous episode. It might have been because the whole 'Gala' thing, she was laid back. But, with the new voice (who I immediately heard as Gilda, and it made me laugh to myself), I couldn't take her seriously.

The Wonderbolts are essentially a stunt division of whatever 'Pegasi Air Corps' they have in Equestria... not some Marine Boot Camp. Spitfire CANNOT do an R. Lee Ermey or a Marine drill Sargent role. It simply doesn't fit her. Leader? I could see perhaps, but not THAT role. In her defense I think Soarin' would have been bad in a D.I. role as well.

Also, I highly am suspect the all these records were broken in one day... far too coincidental, but meh.. it is a cartoon. Dash 'quitting' at the end was unneeded too, but it showed growth. I do think Lightning shouldn't have been kicked out, punished yes, but not kicked out.

NOW MY RANT ON WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE. It is all in a nine-letter name:

Pinkie...

Fucking Pinkie Pie...

I hate her even more because of this episode. Here is why:

The good bye scene, and the whole mailbox thing... It was bordering on pure obsessive. I mean COME ON! There has to be party to fucking plan, and Spike to pick on. STOP WAITING ON RAINBOW!!! GAH!! I mean, Twilight leaves, no big issue. Rarity goes to Canterlot, brings a party, so at least was planning something. Spike leaves? She doesn't care (what a fucking surprise...)

Rainbow Dash leaves.... DON"T FUCKING FORGET ME!! HUG YOU TO DEATH!!! I LOVE YOU DASHIE!!!! PLEASE STAY, BUT GO FULFILL YOUR DREAMS TOO! WRITE ME, OR I'LL DIE!!!

I HATED IT! Gahh! It'll not only feed those who like Pinkie (sorry, just don't feel like beating around the bush), but the shippers too. I don't get it., I see why Rainbow likes her, I do.. but Pinkie has taken this to un healthy level, and I cannot stand it anymore.

Oh, and fuck the care package...(I wanted to say something more, but I think I vented about Pinkie enough. For now, anyway.

I still plan on watching tomorrow. I really look forward to it

Pretty much this for me. Worst episode of the season so far. Yes even worse than the premiere. Why? Crystal Empire was a solid episode, but a poorly developed villain. Wonderbolt Academy had good characters and a good concept, but was written pretty poorly.

Honestly, I think they should've had a new Drill Sergeant pony with Spitfire watching on the sidelines. I think it would've made the episode a lot better. Seeing the ponies from Hurricane Fluttershy was nice. I love Pinkie, but she was way out of whack here. Less of her and the Mane 6 would've helped too I think.

Link Man

Banned
Felt the episode was pretty meh to be honest. Why oh why did it have to be Merriwether Williams?

Pretty much this for me. Worst episode of the season so far. Yes even worse than the premiere. Why? Crystal Empire was a solid episode, but a poorly developed villain. Wonderbolt Academy had good characters and a good concept, but was written pretty poorly.

Honestly, I think they should've had a new Drill Sergeant pony with Spitfire watching on the sidelines. I think it would've made the episode a lot better. Seeing the ponies from Hurricane Fluttershy was nice. I love Pinkie, but she was way out of whack here. Less of her and the Mane 6 would've helped too I think.

The entire episode just seemed half-baked.

Ikael

I quite liked this episode, 3rd best of the season after Magic Duel and Sleepless in Ponyville I think.

- Rainbow Dash character development and her meeting "her old self" was truthly great. This episode night even make me -gasp- like the character

- Cool to see the weather ponies again, they acted like a great mini support cast

- Moral dilemmas are always great narrative devices.

- Fluttershy's "rescue" XD

Top Bottom