• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3 |OT| The fun has been TRIPLED!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Cloud Chaser has little tolerance for this stuff, Fluttershy.

ZtKkJ.png

McNum

It's not such a big stretch to imagine that pegasi can sculpt clouds in a way that allows other ponies to stand on them, at least temporarily. Rainbow Dash turned a bunch of clouds into a spring, basically.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Loved the episode except for Spitfire, and my problem was her seeming to be ignorant of Thunder Dust's behavior. I kept expecting at the end for her to tell Dash that she put her with Thunder Dust to see how she handled a reckless teammate, but int he end, Rainbow Dash is somehow telling the Wonderbolts that they're reckless and teaches them a lesson. Just felt out of place for this military organization to not know what's going on.

Gotchaye

Loved the episode except for Spitfire, and my problem was her seeming to be ignorant of Thunder Dust's behavior. I kept expecting at the end for her to tell Dash that she put her with Thunder Dust to see how she handled a reckless teammate, but int he end, Rainbow Dash is somehow telling the Wonderbolts that they're reckless and teaches them a lesson. Just felt out of place for this military organization to not know what's going on.

Overanalyzing, but the show has always tended towards a pretty cynical take on high-status anything. This comes up a lot in Rarity storylines. Of Very Important Ponies, only the ones with a fairly direct connection to Twilight are presented as decent and competent (Twilight, Shining Armor, and the three alicorns are pretty much it).

I wasn't sure while watching the episode whether or not Spitfire knew what was going on, but the end seems to make clear that she knew and approved. The recklessness wasn't brought to her attention by Dash; Dash convinced her that it was bad. Not that she was aware of the tornado that happened five minutes before Dash went to talk to her, but everything before that, and she seemed approving of the tornado immediately after learning of it.

Edit: This isn't even the first time that the Wonderbolts have been portrayed as either incompetent or misguided relative to Rainbow Dash. Dash saves several Wonderbolts on at least one occasion (Sonic Rainboom, I think, and I want to say that there's another example), and in Hurricane Fluttershy the Wonderbolt present can't be bothered to help make sure there isn't a horrible drought even after the pegasi have given up on trying to break a record and are just trying to get the job done (this is not called out in the show, but the Wonderbolt is clearly just standing there watching even as Twilight is trying to impress upon Fluttershy just how important it is that she contribute and after the first tornado failed). The only part of the episode that felt odd to me was the military atmosphere, but even that's been foreshadowed in a variety of ways, most notably in the very military culture of the pegasi in the episode where the ponies re-enact Equestria's founding. Perhaps it should be understood as a cultural thing rather than as indicating that there's actually a functioning organization behind it.

Overanalyzing, but the show has always tended towards a pretty cynical take on high-status anything. This comes up a lot in Rarity storylines. Of Very Important Ponies, only the ones with a fairly direct connection to Twilight are presented as decent and competent (Twilight, Shining Armor, and the three alicorns are pretty much it).
Well, Fancy Pants is a pretty swell guy, from what we can see of his actions, so there's him, too.

Dash saves several Wonderbolts on at least one occasion (Sonic Rainboom, I think, and I want to say that there's another example)
S2E9, "Secret of My Excess", doesn't exactly have her save them, but she does save Rarity and Spike (with Fluttershy's help) when the Wonderbolts are trapped inside an empty water tower that Spike lodged in the mountain face.

There's also Soarin's pie...

Gotchaye

Well, Fancy Pants is a pretty swell guy, from what we can see of his actions, so there's him, too.
I may be being unfair because the show doesn't seem to be consciously portraying Twilight as being particularly important, but:

That whole episode is pretty explicitly about Rarity being accepted by high society ponies because they think she has connections. They spend the episode demonstrating a willingness to suck up to everyone more important than they are. Fancy Pants initially declares Rarity worth knowing because she's acquainted with Celestia, and until he hears that she's staying at the castle he and his girlfriend are doing the whole upturned-nose thing. Until the end, it's pretty clear that Fancy Pants is being nice to Rarity because he thinks she's in with Celestia. Then, being the most skilled social climber of the bunch, he recognizes Twilight at the garden party from the various occasions when she's been hanging around royalty (most recently, she was standing at Celestia's side for a large part of the Grand Galloping Gala, and was seen doing so by a great many ponies), and, knowing (even if Twilight never seems to grasp this) that she could call the guards over and have all their heads in a second if she wanted to, is careful to be as nice as possible to her.

Failing that, his behavior is still explicable as him defending Rarity because she's in with Celestia (and the trainer of the Wonderbolts, who she lies about knowing). Many of the other ponies present may not be aware of that, since they were largely all aware of Rarity only through Fancy Pants' introductions.

Cheerilee

Rainbow Dash + Lightning Dust = brilliant. They need to keep her around.

Spitfire 2.0 is terrible.

I wanted to hit Pinkie Pie in the head to make her stop...

Fluttershy made me LOL.

I may be being unfair because the show doesn't seem to be consciously portraying Twilight as being particularly important, but:

That whole episode is pretty explicitly about Rarity being accepted by high society ponies because they think she has connections. They spend the episode demonstrating a willingness to suck up to everyone more important than they are. Fancy Pants initially declares Rarity worth knowing because she's acquainted with Celestia, and until he hears that she's staying at the castle he and his girlfriend are doing the whole upturned-nose thing. Until the end, it's pretty clear that Fancy Pants is being nice to Rarity because he thinks she's in with Celestia. Then, being the most skilled social climber of the bunch, he recognizes Twilight at the garden party from the various occasions when she's been hanging around royalty (most recently, she was standing at Celestia's side for a large part of the Grand Galloping Gala, and was seen doing so by a great many ponies), and, knowing (even if Twilight never seems to grasp this) that she could call the guards over and have all their heads in a second if she wanted to, is careful to be as nice as possible to her.

Failing that, his behavior is still explicable as him defending Rarity because she's in with Celestia (and the trainer of the Wonderbolts, who she lies about knowing). Many of the other ponies present may not be aware of that, since they were largely all aware of Rarity only through Fancy Pants' introductions.

No he didn't. He was actually nice and polite to her. Fleur complimented her "taste". Sure, he did take MORE of an interest in her knowing she was staying at the castle, be he wasn't a rude snob like Jet Set and Upper Crust. I think you're making it more than it really is. The whole point of Fancy Pants was that not ALL high class ponies look down on others.

I hope we get an episode that covers Derpy's death.

Thinking about it, maybe they're saving her for a big episode and just aren't relegating her to cameos anymore. I mean Vinyl Scratch and Octavia are popular, but you don't see them in every episode.

Gotchaye

No he didn't. He was actually nice and polite to her. Fleur complimented her "taste". Sure, he did take MORE of an interest in her knowing she was staying at the castle, be he wasn't a rude snob like Jet Set and Upper Crust. I think you're making it more than it really is. The whole point of Fancy Pants was that not ALL high class ponies look down on others.

But all of that was after finding out she was staying at the castle. She bumps into him and his friend, he says "my goodness, that's one way to make an introduction", and then he and his friend turn their noses up and look away. Rarity stammers out an apology in which she mentions that she's staying at the castle, and that's the first time FP takes an interest. Then Rarity mentions knowing Celestia. Then FP's friend compliments what Rarity's bought (and "a pony with expensive tastes, I see" has something of a double meaning; it's also an indication that Rarity has money).

And the beginning of the scene at the end where Fancy Pants approaches Twilight only works if his intentions are ambiguous or malicious. Note the stress on "ensemble" and its use to describe something very simple, how Rarity reacts with horror when she realizes she might get outed as the designer of the dress (clearly Rarity doesn't at that point think Fancy Pants actually likes the dress or the pony wearing it), then Fancy Pants puts more odd stresses on "Ponyville" and "charming". Then Twilight outs Rarity and the high society ponies, including FP, are taken aback that Rarity associates with them. Only after processing that is FP openly complimentary of Twilight's dress and unambiguously nice to the Ponyville group.

He's definitely played as more of a benignly neglectful type of aristocrat than an actively dickish one, but he seems every bit as status-conscious as the rest. He's just a lot better at playing that game (as befits "the most important pony in Canterlot"). His conversation with Twilight at the end could easily have turned into an attempt to shame her, and was presented as heading that way until Twilight's connection to Rarity came out.

I grant that my preferred interpretation of the ending, where FP recognizes Twilight, is something of a stretch. But the ending makes perfect sense as just another instance of FP trying to be nice to Rarity because he thinks she has connections.

Nohar

It seems that someone said that Derpy doesn't appear anymore in the show. Is that true (and related, I guess, to the Derpy Gate) ?

Overall, I loved this episode, though... Pinkie Pie, you're beginning to worry me here. She always was close to her friends, but this is taking worrying proportions.

Like I said, they could be holding back for a big appearance as a compromise for no more Where's Waldo appearances. Or, it could be limited to just merchandise and comics. It's clear Hasbro doesn't want to destroy Derpy, but they want to tread carefully to avoid another Deroygate.

Orcastar

She's appeared once or twice albeit obscured.

Like I've said before, if you can't see her face or cutie mark, it doesn't count.

Like I said, they could be holding back for a big appearance as a compromise for no more Where's Waldo appearances. Or, it could be limited to just merchandise and comics. It's clear Hasbro doesn't want to destroy Derpy, but they want to tread carefully to avoid another Deroygate.

I'm inclined to believe that she won't be appearing in comics or other official merchandise much longer either...

I'm inclined to believe that she won't be appearing in comics or other official merchandise much longer either...

And what inclines you to believe that?

Simple.. she is dead. They took her out back, and killed her. She wasn't scared, she refused to work. They greased her.

Honestly, she'll always live on in a way. There is no going back, for the fans at least. But as far as Hasbro goes, she was a mistake they would like not to repeat.

Yes, I am a very negative person, but ehh, if I am wrong, I wouldn't mind it at all.

EDIT: That Fancy Pants talk some post up reminds me of this very long and drawn out theory I have involving Unicorns and other Upper-class Ponies in Canterlot using lower famous ponies for their own means. Maybe I should do that Plinkett-esque critique of the show...

maybe indeed...

Fantastic episode. I'm glad to see they left it open ended, which allows the show to progress the plot. As opposed to most cartoons where everything goes back to normal at the end.

Agreed, it's nice that Rainbow Dash isn't stuck forever chasing her dream, she's actually getting to follow it. She already has to do other things off-screen, like clearing the clouds and such, Wonderbolts training probably won't be a big change, probably just name-dropped in a later episode why she isn't present (versus other excuses they've used before, when the writers don't want them all there).

As for Derpy, I wonder if Raindrops wasn't a late, convenient substitution. She was in Hurricane Fluttershy too, but there's a shot or two that would've been better, like it was planned for Derpy to be in her place.

Orcastar

So apparently Sibsy's (Sabrina Alberghetti, a senior storyboard artist on FiM) OC Wildfire, who previously appeared in A Canterlot Wedding, was originally supposed to appear in Wonderbolt Academy as one of the cadets, but for some reason the character was recoloured. Here's proof:

Wildfire and that pink pony both have the same design, and as you can see above, the scoreboard has Wildfire's cutie mark in place of the pink pony's cutie mark, which was a sunflower. The bottom image also shows a frame where the artists forgot to recolour her.

Sibsy has since confirmed on dA that the pony was originally supposed to be Wildfire:

Wt35g.png

In an interesting twist, Andrea Libman actually claimed the recoloured pony as her OC and used it as her Twitter profile pic for a while.

OCs are serious business!

tafer

So apparently Sibsy's (Sabrina Alberghetti, one of the layout artists on FiM) OC Wildfire, who previously appeared in A Canterlot Wedding, was originally supposed to appear in Wonderbolt Academy as one of the cadets, but for some reason the character was recoloured. Here's proof:

Wildfire and that pink pony both have the same design, and as you can see above, the scoreboard has Wildfire's cutie mark in place of the pink pony's cutie mark, which was a sunflower. The bottom image also shows a frame where the artists forgot to recolour her.

Sibsy has since confirmed on dA that the pony was originally supposed to be Wildfire:

http://i.imgur.com/Wt35g.png[IMG]

In an interesting twist, Andrea Libman actually claimed the recoloured pony as her OC and used it as her Twitter profile pic for a while.

OCs are serious business![/QUOTE]

Delicious production drama that I hope, someday, we'll get the entire story behind!

Yes, OC/background pony drama! I have often wondered why we hadn't seen more of the blindbag and other Hasbro created recolors on the show in some way, shape, or form, but if this information is true, I suppose there are different brands of ponies for a reason (that one Pegasus from Hurricane Fluttershy notwithstanding).

Still, very interesting. and it would explain the lack of Derpy (who I presume is dead as far as the show appearances goes, and may or may not remain a merchandise option for much longer, as DJ-P0N3 is now slowly taking over...)

Then again, maybe they are simply being careful. Lord knows Hasbro doesn't need a Transformer/GI Joe-like fan war over the Pony lines of toys, as well as the whole Derpy-gate again. (I fully blame myself. I liked her appearance too much, and should have expected something to happen).

Bah, I am rambling now, but I have one more thing to add... If I could only ask one thing, regarding the toy lines: NO MORE TOYS R US exclusives! I hate them so much...(at least Walmart doesn't over-price the blindbags... and Hot Topic is rather fair with those Vinyl figures)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yee-haw indeed.

I really want this episode to be a Pony version of National Lampoons Christmas with Applejack in the Clark Grizwald role, trying to make a perfect family reunion.

Or the one where she over-exerts herself and goes insane.

I suppose you could make the argument that all of those had a lot of focus on the other ponies, too, but by and large, the spotlight's on the orange one.

In other news, I was looking over the TVTropes Recap page, and noticed they'd found some messages from Sibsy concerning the missing S3E8. Apparently there's a very logical reason why it's being reordered? (I'd still kinda like to know what it is...)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Or the one where she over-exerts herself and goes insane.

I suppose you could make the argument that all of those had a lot of focus on the other ponies, too, but by and large, the spotlight's on the orange one.

In other news, I was looking over the TVTropes Recap page, and noticed they'd found some messages from Sibsy concerning the missing S3E8. Apparently there's a very logical reason why it's being reordered? (I'd still kinda like to know what it is...)

308 is called Applejacks funeral. :(

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
188956__safe_spitfire_wonderbolts-academy_best-night-ever.jpg

Honestly, if Spitfire wasn't the Drill Sargent or w/e, everyone would be complaining about that instead.

This.
I'm stunned so many people were offended. Have they not seen Full Metal Jacket? Drill sergeants are not nice when they're on-duty.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This.
I'm stunned so many people were offended. Have they not seen Full Metal Jacket? Drill sergeants are not nice when they're on-duty.

My problem wasn't that she's different on duty, that makes sense, my problem was that she had to be told that reckless behavior can get others hurt.

My problem with Spitfire wasn't how she acted in the episode. I can totally buy Spitfire the drill sergeant (not entirely sure why a drill sergeant is the one doing stunts at an event like the Grand Galloping Gala, but hell, why not).

My problem with Spitfire was that she didn't sound much like Spitfire did beforehand.

Apparently it was the same voice actress, though, so maybe I just need to compare them a bit more closely. Still, it felt off.

Top Bottom