• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 3 |OT| The fun has been TRIPLED!

McNum

I'm looking forward to this episode for the wrong reasons!

because "Discord moves in with Fluttershy" is the stupidest idea for an episode I've ever heard

I haven't watched the promo, but it's either the dumbest or most awesome idea for an episode yet. It's just so... weird. I'm thinking it's going to be awesome, though. The show does weird concepts fairly well.

Hm, interesting. I wonder if the Season 4 rumors actually turn out to be legit... If so, I hope for one episode, because that'd be funny to see:
Rainbow Dash tries to teach Twilight to fly.
So much potential in that.

q0F3n.gif

My reaction right here.

Orcastar

The thing that bothers me the most about this is that they could have made a season-long story arc about it and even hinted at doing so, but what we actually ended up with was a few hints in the season premiere and then nothing for the next seven (or possibly even ten) episodes.

Such a waste.

Two guesses:

1. Twilight ascends at the end of the episode, and her new responsibilities/powers drive some of the plot for later episodes. (As said before, learning how to fly.)
2. She'll become a princess, but then learn that it would mean leaving Ponyville for training, which leads to her declining the offer and losing the new powers by the end.

Two guesses:

1. Twilight ascends at the end of the episode, and her new responsibilities/powers drive some of the plot for later episodes. (As said before, learning how to fly.)
2. She'll become a princess, but then learn that it would mean leaving Ponyville for training, which leads to her declining the offer and losing the new powers by the end.

My guess:
She's offered the coronation and is told to think it over, she's told all the responsibilities that would come with it. She thinks it over for most of the episode and at the end refuses because she wants to be with her friends. This coronation was a test and she chose correctly and can go to the 'next level' of training. Because friendship is magic after all.

ibtD6uUMtEzyVo.png

We're playing right into their hands!

akira28

guys relax and enjoy the cute talking ponies

that is the correct way to digest this show

it's like we're being slowly trained not to care about things. Can't wait to abandon my infant twin daughters on some concrete lion den barrier at the zoo.

If she gets wings, I quit.
edit:

yQWNv.jpg

I. will. burn. this. planet. to. the. ground.

Well, since he asked, sure.

th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif

I'm actually not that torn by the prospect of
alicorn Twilight
- it'd actually do a lot to explain
where the heck alicorns come from in the first place
. I suppose it would ruin
the perfect 2-of-each setup we have right now
, though.

tafer

My guess:
She's offered the coronation and is told to think it over, she's told all the responsibilities that would come with it. She thinks it over for most of the episode and at the end refuses because she wants to be with her friends. This coronation was a test and she chose correctly and can go to the 'next level' of training. Because friendship is magic after all.

http://i3.minus.com/ibtD6uUMtEzyVo.png[IMG]
We're playing right into their hands![/QUOTE]

Monters, they are playing with people's feelings!

Meh, at the end of the day the show is in good hands.

judhudson

Well, since he asked, sure.

th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif
th_onoz-omg.gif

I'm actually not that torn by the prospect of
alicorn Twilight
- it'd actually do a lot to explain
where the heck alicorns come from in the first place
. I suppose it would ruin
the perfect 2-of-each setup we have right now
, though.

That's why we were treated with Trixie returning this season. She'll fill in Twilights role. :D

Just because I multi-quote, doesn't mean I am ranting.. ;p

I'm looking forward to this episode for the wrong reasons!

because "Discord moves in with Fluttershy" is the stupidest idea for an episode I've ever heard

That is indeed one of my very top reasons. Oh and the shipping stories.. THOSE are always fun!

Does anyone remember what I said, at the end of the Season 3 opener? I recall it very well! Something along the lines of "There are already 100s of people readying a petition of some sort to stop XXXXX from happening?" Well, turns out the gears are moving after all.

This is.. soo good! I cannot wait.

Hm, interesting. I wonder if the Season 4 rumors actually turn out to be legit... If so, I hope for one episode, because that'd be funny to see:
Rainbow Dash tries to teach Twilight to fly.
So much potential in that.
I am thinking that will be a good idea. I just hope they don't cop-out and do what fan-fic writers do:
Which is to say... "Alicorn's bodies are too large to sustain long flight, and thus, they need a chariot". This falls apart when Celestia herself flies down to Ponyville during the whole Lesson Zero thing, and oh yeah those fucking dragons! you know are much larger than ponies and don't have magic-assist +5 rolls!

Really going to suck uf they change her like that. We dont need a mary sue in ponyville.
Is she not already a Mary-Sue since Season 3? Most of her faults are nearly forgotten as of late...
guys relax and enjoy the cute talking ponies

that is the correct way to digest this show
Debate is fun. Although sometimes certain people get so defensive about party ponies, I have to wonder... (I am kidding, everyone ;p)
That's why we were treated with Trixie returning this season. She'll fill in Twilights role. :D

This is acceptable.. although it'll basically reset the show as all the ponies would have to teach her how to be, you know, FRIENDLY (and not wimpy and run away!) I wouldn't mind it though.

EDIT:
If Twilight stays an Alicorn, id rather she be witten out as a main character.

Hmm, I'll keep this in spoilers, but
I could have swore that was the goal anyway, as Tara Strong, or mainly the people who she works through, seem to charge much for her VA work as Twilight. I am unsure, as the rumor itself was very vague, but logistically getting rid of Tara may prove easier for future shows. We shall see...

ffdgh

...Woah nelly that alot of info to take in all at once after 2 weeks O_O.

I'm honestly curious as to how this will play out.

Gotchaye

If Twilight stays an Alicorn, id rather she be witten out as a main character.

I don't know how I feel about that. Twilight and Rarity episodes are most of why I watch. A few episodes of winged Twilight in Ponyville would be neat, if it actually changes the dynamic. They could also just not treat it as a big deal; it's not like flight drastically changes what Twilight can do.

Do we actually know for sure that there are going to be more episodes?

McNum

Officially there's no word of a fourth season. But the rumor mill is pretty sure there will be. No quotable sources, of course.

My guess would be that there will be a fourth season, but it will not be named "Friendship is Magic". It'll be the start of a new set of 65 episodes called something else. For syndication reasons.

$200

Banned
Officially there's no word of a fourth season. But the rumor mill is pretty sure there will be. No quotable sources, of course.

My guess would be that there will be a fourth season, but it will not be named "Friendship is Magic". It'll be the start of a new set of 65 episodes called something else. For syndication reasons.

Season 4 was mentioned in Hasbro's yearly financial report or something.

McNum

And the season finale now has a title and synopsis thanks to Zap2It.

Title: "
Magical Mystery Cure
"

Synopsis: "
When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic.
"

That... was not what I expected. Also, Twilight is THAT powerful? That's some powerful magic she's slinging around there.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Could have been better, but still good. Ending was a little rushed, and overall, I think the episode would have been better served as a 2 parter. Liked that the friendship angel wasn't over the top, and felt kind of natural.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I honestly think there should be a 45-min format, since I doubt it'd work as a two-parter but being a single episode won't help at all.

So how quick with those fluttercord art

Orcastar

Didn't like it. Discord's supposed to be this centuries-old spirit of chaos and disharmony that terrorised all of Equestria before being imprisoned and Fluttershy reforms him in one day by letting him walk all over her, calling it friendship and then employing emotional blackmail? Ridiculous, and not in a good way.

blamite

Didn't like it. Discord's supposed to be this centuries-old spirit of chaos and disharmony that terrorised all of Equestria before being imprisoned and Fluttershy reforms him in one day by letting him walk all over her, calling it friendship and then employing emotional blackmail? Ridiculous, and not in a good way.

Yep, this about sums it up. Just a dumb plot, and not in an interesting way.

Darte

New Episode
Interesting episode, though I think I would have preferred a 2 parter on this to sorta keep his chaotic nature alive in Ep1 and toning down to what they had at the end of this new episode in the 2nd parter. Seemed kinda rush but I guess it was okay. I wanna see more of Discord next season though!

Final Episode
Twilight becomes an Alicorn after changing everyones destiny? Perhaps a return to status quo at the end? imokaywiththat.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well they had two choices. Reform discord, or accept that it's done and never use him again. Much like Q in Star Trek, he was just too powerful to realistically put up against them again, and it's made even a bit more unrealistic since they have a the elements of machina with them in MLP. They had to make him less threatening if they wanted to continue using the character.

It was a fun episode, and they did some neat things with Discord's magic. Also kinda nice to see that, aside from Flutters, no one is all that comfortable with Discord yet.

I'm also of the thought that this would have benefited from two episodes, if only to provide more Fluttershy/Discord moments, but you have to work with what you're given.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I can see people probably declare this a "Jump the Shark" episode. I saw one guy on Twitter claim this was worse than "Superior Spider-Man" in terms of heel-turns. Overreaction? Probably.

Bland, forgettable, meh episode, like all of season 3.

At this point I can only hope for
Alicorn Twilight
, only because the reactions and drama would actually be entertaining to watch (unlike season 3).

I'm just worried they'll pull the cliche status quo bullshit we all see coming a mile away where she
rejects becoming one because it would mean leaving her friends
. I want the show to continue with Twilight and her friends in Ponyville, sure, but I want Twilight to
have wings
while continuing with the kinds of situations we normally see in the show.

StarWolf

Banned

So true! I was VERY disappointed. This is supposed to be someone that is pretty much evil incarnate yet he suddenly has a change of heart over nothing? Had this been a two parter where, perhaps he and fluttershy went on some long journey working together and they both overcame obsticals it might have made sense, but this was just ridiculous.

Also, is it just me or have the Mane 6 not been showing Celestia the respect she deserves?

In the beginning they were always in awe of her, bowing down and least of all talking back, yet you see in this episode they get downright disrespectful towards her and even Twilight yells at her.

Gotchaye

So true! I was VERY disappointed. This is supposed to be someone that is pretty much evil incarnate yet he suddenly has a change of heart over nothing? Had this been a two parter where, perhaps he and fluttershy went on some long journey working together and they both overcame obsticals it might have made sense, but this was just ridiculous.

Also, is it just me or have the Mane 6 not been showing Celestia the respect she deserves?

In the beginning they were always in awe of her, bowing down and least of all talking back, yet you see in this episode they get downright disrespectful towards her and even Twilight yells at her.

In fairness, what she's asking of them is crazy, and she doesn't bother justifying it with anything other than a vague "I have a use for him".

I guess I'm okay with the episode because Discord was never really evil. I get the impression from his first appearance that he just likes chaos, and at times he seems to honestly want Twilight to enjoy herself. He doesn't seem to actually try to oppose anyone who isn't trying to put him away for another thousand years, and as far as I can tell no one got hurt (which really required conscious effort on his part given all the stuff that was going on). I don't think it would be that out of character for Discord to be fine with limiting his chaos to a small corner of Equestria, where perhaps he could run an amusement park.

That is, I think it makes sense to look at the episode not as Discord reforming, but rather as Discord letting go of his grudge against Celestia and the Ponyville 6.

I really liked this episode, maybe the last part was a little rushed and a two parts with more hijinxs against the mane 6 would have worked better, but Discord is an amazingly fun character. And if "reforming" him to bring him back like Q character, to create a little fun chaos and help sometimes, well, im all for it.

Ive never really seen Discord as evil personificate, but more as an operetta villian that loves chaos and the fun it brings to the table, so even if it was little forced and rushed how he converts, its not really that out of character IMO.

Top Bottom