• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Platinum shows interest (sorta) in buying Darksiders

Atsushi Inaba, the head of Platinum Games, tweeted that they "want to buy it... on the cheap." His tweet was translated by Kotaku, where I learned of this. How would you like it if Platinum held the Darksiders rights ? I, personnally, would be effin' stoked ! I love Platinum and the games they make. Darksiders, with its combat system not unlike your DmCs and GoWs, would feel at home in the hands of those guys. That's what I think. What about you ?

Source

Eusis

I'm morbidly fascinated in seeing how this would pan out if they got their hands on it because no one else wants it.

Con_Smith

Banned
I dunno. I love Platinum, but I'm not sure they would do it justice outside of the crazy scenarios they could come up with. Would be interesting though.

Zaventem

Darksiders 2 already had a pretty great combat system but terrible part of the game pushed it down t 7/10 for me i think they could do it.

I always felt like that series took itself just a touch too seriously. Plus, it'd more or less just be a Platnium-made Zelda game.

I feel weird about this. The combat in a Platinum-developed Darksiders would be amazing... but at the same time, I'd hate it if a Darksiders game had the wacky tone and spectacle of a typical Platinum game.

From my response in the other thread:

Kotaku's translation of Inaba's tweet is heavily misleading. Their translation, "We want to buy Platinum Games on the cheap," makes it seem like Inaba is speaking on behalf of the company.

To me his tweet DEFINITELY feels like more of a personal desire of Inaba's...kind of like he's saying "I want to buy it!" in a joking way.

PG and Darksiders could transform into something more in the future, but this seems like Inaba being silly at the moment. It shouldn't be used as proof for anything, Kotaku.

Then again, it should be common sense not to trust Kotaku around these parts.

Orayn

So yeah, I've come down off my hope-high and I would advise GAF (and Kotaku for that matter) not to take the tweets too seriously. My heart goes out to Vigil and I hope the potential Platinum job offers go somewhere, but I just can't make myself believe this will work out. There's just too much reality in the way.

It's the circle of life!

Atsushi Inaba, the head of Platinum Games, tweeted that they "want to buy it... on the cheap." His tweet was translated by Kotaku, where I learned of this. How would you like it if Platinum held the Darksiders rights ? I, personnally, would be effin' stoked ! I love Platinum and the games they make. Darksiders, with its combat system not unlike your DmCs and GoWs, would feel at home in the hands of those guys. That's what I think. What about you ?

Source

You didn't see the other thread did you.

Corto

So yeah, I've come down off my hope-high and I would advise GAF (and Kotaku for that matter) not to take the tweets too seriously. My heart goes out to Vigil and I hope the potential Platinum job offers go somewhere, but I just can't make myself believe this will work out. There's just too much reality in the way.

It's the circle of life!

Unfortunately. It seems so. This needed a giant like Epic stepping in to save 38 Studio's Big Huge Games kind of scenario

Eusis

Kotaku's translation of Inaba's tweet is heavily misleading. Their translation, "We want to buy Platinum Games on the cheap," makes it seem like Inaba is speaking on behalf of the company.

To me his tweet DEFINITELY feels like more of a personal desire of Inaba's...kind of like he's saying "I want to buy it!" in a joking way.

PG and Darksiders could transform into something more in the future, but this seems like Inaba being silly at the moment. It shouldn't be used as proof for anything, Kotaku.

Then again, it should be common sense not to trust Kotaku around these parts.
To be honest the only reason I think there's any chance of this happening for real is that it seems no one was interested at all. At least not enough to buy day one. Wouldn't surprise me if someone else swooped in, but I imagine if no one's touching and THQ isn't going to be picky maybe there's a real chance of grabbing the IP. Probably depends on where the Darksiders staff goes and if their new owners feel it's worth grabbing.

Beth Cyra

To be honest the only reason I think there's any chance of this happening for real is that it seems no one was interested at all. At least not enough to buy day one. Wouldn't surprise me if someone else swooped in, but I imagine if no one's touching and THQ isn't going to be picky maybe there's a real chance of grabbing the IP. Probably depends on where the Darksiders staff goes and if their new owners feel it's worth grabbing.

The Darksiders Staff was Vigil and they are getting shuttered because no one wanted them aren't they? I can't see anyone picking up the entire dev team at this point.

Eusis

The Darksiders Staff was Vigil and they are getting shuttered because no one wanted them aren't they? I can't see anyone picking up the entire dev team at this point.
You'd probably have them fragment all over the place unless you had one developer/publisher being very friendly. Still, one company getting all the key staff may be enough for them to decide to jump on the rights I'd think.

I'm very surprise Warner Bros didn't go for the Darksiders franchise. It would fit their portfolio quite well. Comics, Toys, Games, Animated films and merchandise. Now that this is out there on the DS franchise not getting any love, same with the studio. Let's see what the outcome would be.

Mesoian

Man...I'm really sad about what happened to Vigil...but...could you imagine? Plague or Pestilence being a Bayonetta level character action game?

::Swoon::

Beth Cyra

You'd probably have them fragment all over the place unless you had one developer/publisher being very friendly. Still, one company getting all the key staff may be enough for them to decide to jump on the rights I'd think.

Eh can't see it personally. If a company was remotely interested in that style of game we would have seen someone pick up Vigil as a whole. I full expect anyone who gets picked up to be absored into whatever studio they join. Also it's not like DS2 really lite up the sales charts either.

I could be wrong though, we will see soon enough I guess.

sflufan

Banned
Stop.

Just stop.

All this is based on a couple of Tweets where Platinum extended offers to former Vigil employees to contact them for potential job opportunities and one Platinum guy wistfully speculating that he wished he could buy the IP.

That's all there is to it, nothing more.

Darksiders and Vigil are dead. Mourn, accept, and move on.

Orayn

Hideki Kamiya retweeted the "SHUT UP, INABA" sentiment earlier and is currently playing dumb while corresponding with some English-speakers. My guess is that he's being dismissive about the Darksiders series?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Man...I'm really sad about what happened to Vigil...but...could you imagine? Plague or Pestilence being a Bayonetta level character action game?

::Swoon::

Its actually Fury and Strife in the Darksiders universe.

Soul_Pie

I have no issue with this as long as they respect the need for the games to retain their look, strong sense of lore and character, and invest in top notch voice acting like THQ/vigil did. Combat wise, platinum would absolutely turn this into something special.

JABEE

If Inaba really wanted to buy it, he wouldn't post about it on his Twitter. I don't believe he was being serious.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
As other posters have mentioned, the wording the original Japanese tweet has makes it more like playful or wishful thinking on Kamiya's part more than anything else. He's not writing it in super serious terms, at least. Definitely an interesting what-if scenario, but not really newsworthy in its own right.

Hideki Kamiya retweeted the "SHUT UP, INABA" sentiment earlier and is currently playing dumb while corresponding with some English-speakers. My guess is that he's being dismissive about the Darksiders series?

"SHUT UP, INABA" is because now he'll have a bunch of people asking him about Darksiders and Vigil, something he, probably, dosn't know or care but people will keep asking him...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No one wanted that IP, NO ONE. It will probably sold on the cheap. I don't think they'll buy the studio and hire up the whole staff, but the IP? certainly possible.

More and more as the details are emerging it looks like the Darksiders IP was not actually on the table today.

Top Bottom