• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this viglink thing..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanmik

I was just wondering what this viglink thing is..?

Everytime I press a link on Neogaf (a link in a thread like this www.google.com ) it uses viglink to link me to the other link.. is this a new Neogaf thing..? or a virus or something on my side..?

la_briola

Get Paid for Clicks from Your Content
Clicks from your site to over 30,000 others are monetizable with VigLink.
VigLink follows along with clicks leaving your site.
When a reader buys something, you get paid.
VigLink can add new links to content, increasing revenue.

Its annoying as hell. If you want to share a link with someone on IRC/IM you spam them with a 200+ character URL.
I hope this will removed.

edit: I guess we are now being sold.

n0n44m

I see them when opening a link in incognito mode or when copying a link url (chrome)

Edit: its in the source of every neogaf page so probably nothing to do with my pc :p

Dead Man

Seems like you have a virus, then. Links are fine for me.

Only happens on GAF so far. No other site I have been to seems to do it. Work computer is a pretty basic terminal served from across town, so if it is some malware there is bugger all I can do about it.

Edit: Viglinks website has this to say -

Simply paste the VigLink code snippet into your website.

And has page the behaves the same as what I am seeing: http://www.viglink.com/demo

n0n44m

view-source:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513337

viglink3vrps.png

Chrome on Windows 7

Wichu

I see them when opening a link in incognito mode or when copying a link url (chrome)

Edit: its in the source of every neogaf page so probably nothing to do with my pc :p

That's interesting. I normally use Firefox, and it works normally on that.
But I just tested with Chrome, and I get the redirect in that. Chrome malware, perhaps an extension, maybe?

EDIT: OK, I was wrong the first time. It does look like it's on GAF's end.

Looks like I just figured it out on my end at least, I have NoScript installed and new sites are blocked by default (so it's preventing the viglink script from executing).

n0n44m

That's interesting. I normally use Firefox, and it works normally on that.
But I just tested with Chrome, and I get the redirect in that. Chrome malware, perhaps an extension, maybe?

I see it as well in the source and in links with "Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)" , and I never ever use that browser :p

Danj

That's their selling point
http://www.viglink.com/demo

I tried that page too and no matter what method I used to click on the links, it never went to or through a viglink address as far as I could see.

EDIT: even tried adding api.viglink.com and cdn.viglink.com to Opera's block list (so that I'd get an error if it tried to go through them) and no change, the links still seem to be direct links for me.

EDIT 2: OK so I can get this viglink thing to activate if I use Chrome, but it doesn't seem to work in Opera.

Dead Man

I tried that page too and no matter what method I used to click on the links, it never went to or through a viglink address as far as I could see.

EDIT: even tried adding api.viglink.com and cdn.viglink.com to Opera's block list (so that I'd get an error if it tried to go through them) and no change, the links still seem to be direct links for me.

Better ask for your money back :)

Spocker

I see it on my work computer as well (IE8). Not the fastest computer so I can see the redirects in the status field whenever I click a link.

It probably is active at home too (Chrome), since I can find the script in the page source.

Danj

I see it on my work computer as well (IE8). Not the fastest computer so I can see the redirects in the status field whenever I click a link.

It probably is active at home too (Chrome), since I can find the script in the page source.

Well I can reproduce it by copying and pasting a link, so for example if I copy and paste a link from this thread from Chrome to say Notepad or whatever, it has all the viglink crap on it. But in Opera it doesn't have that.

Danj

I can't see anything on that page without enabling scripts from their domain. But I don't get their redirect since I don't allow their scripts.

Hmmm....

Well if you block their scripts then it's fine, you don't need to opt out. I guess the opt out link is for people who don't have the means to block them or are using IE which can't block stuff.

oneils

I can't see anything on that page without enabling scripts from their domain. But I don't get their redirect since I don't allow their scripts.

Hmmm....

Mind giving me some tips on how to block the script (so I can potentially block others)?

Tacitus_

Mind giving me some tips on how to block the script (so I can potentially block others)?

Install some sort of Javascript blocker addon. They take a bit of time to train since they function a bit like firewalls, as in you need to tell the addon what sites to trust. I personally use Noscript for Firefox. You can get it here: http://noscript.net/

I don't get it, does it make GAF money? Why would be block it if it doesn't actually do anything besides link you and make GAF money?

Cross site scripts aren't cool. Rogue scripts (mostly from tainted ads) are one of the lead causes of computer infections.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Looks like I just figured it out on my end at least, I have NoScript installed and new sites are blocked by default (so it's preventing the viglink script from executing).
NoScript to join AdBlock on the banned substances list in 3... 2...

BHZ Mayor

So since this seems to be intentional, could we get banned for stating this in the future (like the adblock thing)?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We've been testing it out as a potential second unobtrusive revenue stream on a trial basis for a few days now (thanks for being oblivious to all my mentions of it, TDM!). The way it works is that outbound hyperlinks are checked to see if they match a list of merchants, like Amazon, and if they are then that's tracked and NeoGAF gets a percentage if you buy something after you go there. It doesn't have any sort of negative hit for you, just supports the site transparently if you leave it enabled. It doesn't add any new hyperlinks like some of those services can do, and it's not like typical affiliate linking where people are spamming links with any sort of agenda and you can't necessarily trust their motives; the links are just the links created by the users as they discuss things.

Keep in mind that banner ads on NeoGAF have absolutely dismal performance since no one clicks on them and tons of people use adblock, and that's all we've got, normally. And that's declining despite the site getting much larger. We don't have subscriptions or membership payments, no donations, no reskins. And that's intentional due to my philosophies with running the site, but it's kind of dangerous to only have one crappy source that fluctuates heavily seasonally or based on what company is willing to work with you.

NeoGAF gets rejected by almost every high quality ad network due to a) being a forum, and b) having too much "adult content," since my policies are not as strict as they could be, but that's my preference. Still, I have high standards for what sorts of advertising can show up, which means that there are barely any ad networks that we can use. In January I had to kill a major contract we had with a gaming ad network due to popups and redirects coming up <1% of the time that couldn't be addressed fast enough by their campaign management. It's important to me that the ads stay high quality and totally non-malicious, but that meant a tremendous hit to us by giving it up.

I can understand this viglink stuff being bothersome to an extremely small subset of users, potentially, if you're on a really slow computer or slow internet connection or old browser or something and you notice the redirect so it's not seamless. That's cool. Check out the privacy policy page, which has a link to viglink and an explanation of what it does; there's an opt-out link there that should disable it on your computer, or you can noscript or adblock if you must, just like you can always do if you actively don't want to support the 100% free website that you're using.

The philosophy is to keep NeoGAF completely free to use and with unobtrusive monetization. By keeping this functionality on, >99% of you will have absolutely no impact to your experience with the site -- I do not notice it in action whatsoever and this thread with some people wondering took days to even come up -- and it potentially could do well and keep NeoGAF safe financially as it continues to grow more and more ridiculously large and we look to add better hardware, more features (I have a Who Quoted Me custom implementation coming, but that has substantial server overhead...), etc.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You can't share links via IRC or IM because the links are extremely long. That is my problem, Evilore.

You have four options.

1) Link them to the post that contains the url.

2) Follow the link yourself and copy the url in the navbar.

3) Click on the post number, which will take you to the single post format, which I have left the viglink code off of, then copy the url inside the post as normal.

4) Disable viglink on the opt-out page (or by using noscript or adblock, but this is bad for NeoGAF).

oneils

Thanks, EviLore. Your privacy policy seems clear enough. The issue I am having is that the vigilink page does not seem to explain what information, if any, they retain. Would you happen to have a link to their privacy policy?

la_briola

You have four options.

1) Link them to the post that contains the url.

2) Follow the link yourself and copy the url in the navbar.

3) Click on the post number, which will take you to the single post format, which I have left the viglink code off of, then copy the url inside the post as normal.

4) Disable viglink on the opt-out page (or by using noscript or adblock, but this is bad for NeoGAF).
3) sounds good. I will try that. Thanks!

Veezy

que?
EL, have you ever thought of just having a sticky for a few weeks that says something like "hey, don't use adbock, that shit is killing us"?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thanks, EviLore. Your privacy policy seems clear enough. The issue I am having is that the vigilink page does not seem to explain what information, if any, they retain. Would you happen to have a link to their privacy policy?

http://www.viglink.com/policies/privacy

Most of it is about use of their website, not their technology. The relevant bit I see would be:

In addition, we may install the Software on third party websites. In doing so, the Software will place a cookie on the computers of users of those third party websites and will collect personally non-identifiable information about your browser and your activity at such websites.

Same as what we disclose in our privacy policy.

Tacitus_

Thanks for explaining it EviLore. Though it'd be preferable to get a heads up before implementing a script from some unheard site, especially when it jacks links. I thought I'd managed to get some sort of malware on my tablet when I noticed the interstice page.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is this why Neogaf has been on fire for me for the last 12 hours or so? Or is that unrelated?

Thanks for explaining it EviLore. Though it'd be preferable to get a heads up before implementing a script from some unheard site, especially when it jacks links. I thought I'd managed to get some sort of malware on my tablet when I noticed the interstice page.
Yeah, a brief sticky heads up would have been nice. Especially considering the FTC disclosure rules linked to earlier in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom