• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is this viglink thing..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thanks for explaining it EviLore. Though it'd be preferable to get a heads up before implementing a script from some unheard site, especially when it jacks links. I thought I'd managed to get some sort of malware on my tablet when I noticed the interstice page.

I updated the privacy policy and I had been keeping tabs on things to see how conspicuous the tech was for users. We have a vocal community, and of course people are encouraged to report any instances of malware and such. If we had a huge freak-out instantly when it went live, then clearly it wasn't as transparent as I thought it was and it wouldn't be a good fit for NeoGAF, but it took a few days for this thread to happen, and then it sank after one reply for another day. This bodes well for it being an unobtrusive technology for the overwhelming majority of users.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
NeoGAF going down over the last few days is from being hit by DDoS attacks, nothing to do with this.

oneils

Thanks.

I updated the privacy policy and I had been keeping tabs on things to see how conspicuous the tech was for users. We have a vocal community, and of course people are encouraged to report any instances of malware and such. If we had a huge freak-out instantly when it went live, then clearly it wasn't as transparent as I thought it was and it wouldn't be a good fit for NeoGAF, but it took a few days for this thread to happen, and then it sank after one reply for another day. This bodes well for it being an unobtrusive technology for the overwhelming majority of users.

I have been experiencing gateway timeouts on my ipad (over the last couple of days) while surfing the forum. But haven't noticed anything abnormal on my desktop. I don't know if the timeouts have anything to do with this tech, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Thanks.

I have been experiencing gateway timeouts on my ipad (over the last couple of days) while surfing the forum. But haven't noticed anything abnormal on my desktop. I don't know if the timeouts have anything to do with this tech, though.

The gateway timeouts on the mobile site were due to a DDoS protection scheme gromph had implemented that interfered with the functionality of the mobile site due to the way it works. Not related.

oneils

The gateway timeouts on the mobile site were due to a DDoS protection scheme gromph had implemented that interfered with the functionality of the mobile site due to the way it works. Not related.

Good to hear. Thanks. I've left this enabled on my phone and desktop. When the ipad charges, I'll enable it there too. I'm not sure if I have ever purchased anything due to a neogaf link, but if I do, what the heck why not support my favourite forum?

Tacitus_

Personally I just noticed it today since I mainly use Gaf from my PC (where I'm running Noscript). And imo, getting heads up if the privacy policy gets updated/changed would be nice as well.

big_z

So i tried to disable vglink thing through the privacy link as suggested and it does nothing. It says i've opted out but the redirects still happen. If i block the site the i still get the redirtects but i can no longer do anything on the opt out page.

Not cool yo.

Oh, this is probably why YouTube links don't open up in the YouTube Android app anymore using Opera. It just says "invalid request" in the Android app, and I am forced to attempt to watch the video on YouTube's web page.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
What, so they don't pay you unless people click on them? That sucks.

It's mostly not quite that simple. Most banner ads on the internet function in effect as a CPC/CPM hybrid, meaning that publishers get paid per 1000 ad impressions, but the rate per 1000 impressions is determined by what the clickthrough rate is. If clickthrough rate is really low, then the payout per 1000 ad views is almost nothing, or less high paying ads are served by a network in order to maintain a minimum click rate for the campaign, or less repeat ad deals happen with private companies since they may not be satisfied with the click rate they get, etc. Even if you don't ever intend to click on ads, leaving the ads enabled is still beneficial for the site, but diminishing returns are involved if there aren't any clicks.

Just the way it goes, though. People on forums click on banner ads less than probably any other type of website there is. That's why they typically seek alternate means of monetization. Banners work pretty well integrated into content on blogs and news sites and such, 10x-100x better performance than on forums.

Lucario

EL, have you ever thought of just having a sticky for a few weeks that says something like "hey, don't use adbock, that shit is killing us"?

I don't want to answer for him, but I used to do this in a small forum I ran. (complete with a little "ads barely even pay for our hosting, we're not getting rich off you" speech)

Some well-meaning (but not too intelligent) users decided to brag about how many ads they could click in a day, despite not being interested in any of the services offered. No moderators saw the posts in time, and, as a result, I have a lifetime ban from adsense.

I'm sure this wouldn't happen on a much larger forum like neoGAF, but it's still something to fear.

Ermc_G6

I have learned so much about internet advertising through the years just by hanging out here.

I know that this is totally not your style evilore, but if the site was ever in danger of getting shut down for some financial reason, would you ever throw up a donations page?

Also, if you were to suddenly die, does the ownership of neogaf follow a patriarchal lineage, or would all the red-tags have to gather together and elect a new forum king from among themselves?

AlexBasch

Also, if you were to suddenly die, does the ownership of neogaf follow a patriarchal lineage, or would all the red-tags have to gather together and elect a new forum king from among themselves?
You're being too dramatic and ridiculous over this.

Everyone knows bish is next on the lineage.

Giolon

To be honest, I didn't say anything about this when I noticed it a few days ago because I thought I had gotten a virus in my browser or something. Link hijackers are not terribly uncommon.

I know I read the "workarounds" suggested, but none are as convenient as being able to just grab the link from the thread to toss over to somebody. Is there any way to make it so that when copying the link URL it doesn't do the Viglink thing, similar to how it doesn't do it when quoting an image or how when you copy something off of SFGate.com they insert a stupid "more at sfgate.com" section into your clipboard? It's pretty annoying the way it works right now when trying to get the link for somebody. I'd rather not Opt-out of the thing if it's helping maintain the site. If that ends up being the price we have to pay for GAF remaining free, well, so be it.

I believe that the current inheritance laws are an Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture, although this could be changed as long as EviLore has reigned for at least 10 years and no vassal has a negative opinion.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I can understand this viglink stuff being bothersome to an extremely small subset of users, potentially, if you're on a really slow computer or slow internet connection or old browser or something and you notice the redirect so it's not seamless. That's cool. Check out the privacy policy page, which has a link to viglink and an explanation of what it does; there's an opt-out link there that should disable it on your computer, or you can noscript or adblock if you must, just like you can always do if you actively don't want to support the 100% free website that you're using.
Every time I click on a link now, I get thrown around to MS Forefront TMG, which has viglink marked as "Malicious". Can't even do the opt out. I just won't use links when fucking off at work. Not complaining, just noting it for other folks at cybersecurity-obsessed companies as to why they might also be having issues. I didn't notice the switch over until today since I was out of country.

I had to opt out because the issue for me is that when I right click a link in Chrome and click "Copy Link address" and then try to paste it somewhere else, it pastes a massive 200+ character re-direct.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with Chrome or a bug with their link generation script, but in any case, if that ever gets fixed I will go back and opt back in.

la_briola

I had to opt out because the issue for me is that when I right click a link in Chrome and click "Copy Link address" and then try to paste it somewhere else, it pastes a massive 200+ character re-direct.

I'm not sure if this is a bug with Chrome or a bug with their link generation script, but in any case, if that ever gets fixed I will go back and opt back in.

You have four options.

1) Link them to the post that contains the url.

2) Follow the link yourself and copy the url in the navbar.

3) Click on the post number, which will take you to the single post format, which I have left the viglink code off of, then copy the url inside the post as normal.

4) Disable viglink on the opt-out page (or by using noscript or adblock, but this is bad for NeoGAF).

read this.

GulAtiCa

Oh, so that is why I see it sometimes. If it's on purpose from NeoGAF, then I have no issue with it (for most part). I was worried it was spyware, but glad it isn't.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Seriously, why isn't this a thing yet?

Yeah, I'd far rather do that than deal with stuff like viglinks. But it would change the hierarchy of a forum. Forums are something to which users contribute the main value but see none of the revenue generated. Paying makes former users now customers. And customers have a bigger say. Or at least, feel they have a bigger say.

Yeah, I'd far rather do that than deal with stuff like viglinks. But it would change the hierarchy of a forum. Forums are something to which users contribute the main value but see none of the revenue generated. Paying makes former users now customers. And customers have a bigger say. Or at least, feel they have a bigger say.

Well, if they're treated the same by mods, and get banned for the same reasons, I'm sure that "feel" would dissipate rather quickly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Well, if they're treated the same by mods, and get banned for the same reasons, I'm sure that "feel" would dissipate rather quickly.

Likely. And at least cause people to be more hesitant to pay.

Yeah, I just opted out of it. I don't mind the idea and it probably hurts NeoGAF maybe a bit if I disable it (but at least I still have the ads), but I share a lot of GAF links and this makes it a bit troublesome to do.

Nander

Bumping this thread instead of creating a new one.

The new Metro IE11 in Windows 8.1 doesn't play nice with these viglinks. It gets stuck for a long time in the limbo before going to the real page, only showing "about:blank" in the address bar.

Anyone else with problems?

Billen

Banned
*explanation cut out*

Thank you for the clarification. There being an opt out possibility is very nice for those interested, and I really appreciate your stance (business model) regarding the unobtrusive monetization attempts.

Hopefully models like this could actually work, so that we could see less sites behind paywalls.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
It's pretty seamless on my end, I wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for this thread. I certainly don't have a problem with it, especially if it helps keep this site afloat.

EDIT

I was linked here from a recent thread, I didn't even realize this thread was almost a year old!

malfcn

Sorry about creating a new thread, my quick search didn't find this one.
Never noticed viglink before, but all of a sudden I am seeing it attached to everything.

If it helps GAF, that's a good thing.

Recently noticed this starting to happen to me when I copy/pasted links and it's just a bunch of neverending nonsense. It's negatively affecting the usability of the site as you can't really copy links directly, which is somewhat annoying.

But if it helps keep the site running and is in place of worse alternatives, I suppose I can deal with this inconvenience and copy the link from the address bar.
Thanks for explaining it EviLore. Though it'd be preferable to get a heads up before implementing a script from some unheard site, especially when it jacks links. I thought I'd managed to get some sort of malware on my tablet when I noticed the interstice page.
Also this. If Google hadn't found this thread I'd suspect I'd been infected by something.

Yeah the only issue is (like the people who started the thread) I thought I had a browser hijacker, I just hadn't run into this monetization system before. Even though the thread is a year and a half old I never noticed it until a week or so ago, maybe it involves more links now or something?

ampere

Just noticed this today and immediately assumed I had spyware. The write up by EviLore explains it fine and I don't mind having the links around, but maybe it would help to have a sticky about it? Just so people don't assume they have a virus or get confused. This thread is a big old

Only negative I see about it so far, minor negative, is that by removing the slash from an img tag in a quote now will have a new link generated with the rest of the tag, which isn't even a real link. This is minor and could be corrected by removing the entire end tag. See the minor issue below:

e6twLZQ.png

Thanks for the write-up, EvilLore. I've encountered viglink with no script at work at a few other forums I visit, so it's no surprise. I noticed we also have it blocked for some at work as we block advertising (for security reasons).

NH Apache

Banned
Bumping this only because the past few days I've noticed sharing links are extremely long.

I actually thought I had an issue locally, but I eventually found this thread. I don't really have a problem with it, especially after Evilore's explanation. My only issue is when I copy a link to share, the link is a million characters long.

Hopefully, bumping this helps some other people as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom