• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play The Last of Us a month earlier @ GAME lock in

Certinty

I would rather not.

Playing the game a month early isn't worth the constant annoyance of Game employees persuading you to preorder with them.

Vashetti

Banned
Two events near me but I'd be far too embarrassed to go to something like this.

Seems like the kind of event that would justify the overweight, smelly gamer stereotype.

Kinyou

Never in a million years would I do this - oh it's 2 hours, whatever. Still weird.
Yeah, at first I thought you'd have to play through the entire game locked up with a bunch of other guys. With 2 hours it's a nice sneak peak but probably still not the way I'd want to experience the game.

Audioboxer

What I got to play was great, game is actually challenging. Clickers with their "1 hit kills". Really good weighty feel to the gameplay.

I got to take home one of the big advertising cut outs as well, thanks to the cool Sony rep I was chatting to. Shared some good insight into the PS4 as well, and mentioned that gaikai will be coming to the PS3.

Nowhere to put this, but it's never getting chucked out! http://instagram.com/p/ZdF_NPkmTD/ Was a right laugh packing it into my tiny car, thankfully my GF is also tiny or it wouldn't have fitted haha.

Vashetti

Banned
What I got to play was great, game is actually challenging. Clickers with their "1 hit kills". Really good weighty feel to the gameplay.

I got to take home one of the big advertising cut outs as well, thanks to the cool Sony rep I was chatting to. Shared some good insight into the PS4 as well, and mentioned that gaikai will be coming to the PS3.

Nowhere to put this, but it's never getting chucked out! http://instagram.com/p/ZdF_NPkmTD/

This is new-threadworthy.

Courage

Nowhere to put this, but it's never getting chucked out! http://instagram.com/p/ZdF_NPkmTD/ Was a right laugh packing it into my tiny car, thankfully my GF is also tiny or it wouldn't have fitted haha.

Agreed, Audioboxer make a thread.

Don't do it. They have horrific zombies in there. Zombies that won't let you leave until you buy a gela-skin case for your Xbox 360 controller and preorder the next 6 Mario titles.

If you have one near you give it a shot - then let me know which store it was so I can smack talk them if they do a shit job.

Don't do that.

Moobabe

I work at Game but I can only speak for my store;

It's not an actual "lock in" depending on the store - you're free to pop in and play for as much or as little as you like. In our store for lock ins we have 3 staff on hand and it's a lot more informal than you might imagine.

We have one til open for people who do want to pre-order and you're reminded as a group of that maybe twice over the course of the event for people who have arrived late. Sure, we still ask people to fill in questionnaires for our own purposes but that's about it.

We have a pretty good mix of people who come to ours as well; I was a little apprehensive the first time we did one but they're all over 18 events only so you eliminate a lot of the chavvy, gobby types.

If you have one near you give it a shot - then let me know which store it was so I can smack talk them if they do a shit job.

Audioboxer

A rep named Paul mentioned it, works for Sony marketing and doing demo events like this one. If you went to a game event in Scotland, or northern England he'd of been there. Further south in England (likes of London) were being handled by other staff.

Also said to expect a PS Vita like walk in shop event for the PS4. If you live in the UK you might of visited one of the Vita shops before it launched. Pop-up shops or something they are called, opened and designed to show off the Vita, afterwards shop closes and goes away - http://www.popupspaceblog.com/2012/02/playstation-vita-pop-up-shops/

Also said the PS4 will be playable at Eurogamer Expo in September, and hinted strongly for a console release not long after. Potentially even October.

Lastly said Beyond will be getting a Last of Us type event in GAME stores, and that right now even although it's good to play it's buggy as fuck.

I work at Game but I can only speak for my store;

It's not an actual "lock in" depending on the store - you're free to pop in and play for as much or as little as you like. In our store for lock ins we have 3 staff on hand and it's a lot more informal than you might imagine.

We have one til open for people who do want to pre-order and you're reminded as a group of that maybe twice over the course of the event for people who have arrived late. Sure, we still ask people to fill in questionnaires for our own purposes but that's about it.

We have a pretty good mix of people who come to ours as well; I was a little apprehensive the first time we did one but they're all over 18 events only so you eliminate a lot of the chavvy, gobby types.

The staff at my game gave up quite quickly on trying to make anyone pre-order haha. I simply enjoyed free pizza and played the demo till I completed it. A fairly generous demo, took me a while to complete with all the deaths on top.

And yeah, it's very informal, you might get ID'd though. Even the demo kiosk has a special way of starting the demo due to age restrictions. Think it was square and the right d-pad you had to push on the title screen.

TheLawyer

Neo Member
I went to one last night and enjoyed it. Very informal with free pizza and some drinks, staff were all quite approachable and certainly did not try and force a sale or anything like that; the only thing they did comment on was that you got a free double-sided poster if you pre-ordered the game.

I really enjoyed the demo. It was slightly difficult to play because of the environment so it became somewhat difficult to listen out for the clickers etc. But gorgeous looking game, nice weight behind everything. Real sense of foreboding with the clickers as well knowing they are one-hit killers. I also tried a few ways of mixing the battle up with them rather than just trying to sneak around and they are tough; 3 shots in the head to one barely did anything.

Moobabe

The staff at my game gave up quite quickly on trying to make anyone pre-order haha. I simply enjoyed free pizza and played the demo till I completed it. A fairly generous demo, took me a while to complete with all the deaths on top.

And yeah, it's very informal, you might get ID'd though. Even the demo kiosk has a special way of starting the demo due to age restrictions. Think it was square and the right d-pad you had to push on the title screen.

We're not too bad - I get an earful every other week for not "pushing" pre-orders hard enough - but I'm a gamer, and I know if people want to pre-order something, they will.

How long is the demo? Our lock in event is tomorrow.

I went to one last night and enjoyed it. Very informal with free pizza and some drinks, staff were all quite approachable and certainly did not try and force a sale or anything like that; the only thing they did comment on was that you got a free double-sided poster if you pre-ordered the game.

I really enjoyed the demo. It was slightly difficult to play because of the environment so it became somewhat difficult to listen out for the clickers etc. But gorgeous looking game, nice weight behind everything. Real sense of foreboding with the clickers as well knowing they are one-hit killers. I also tried a few ways of mixing the battle up with them rather than just trying to sneak around and they are tough; 3 shots in the head to one barely did anything.

Which store was your lock in at?

Audioboxer

We're not too bad - I get an earful every other week for not "pushing" pre-orders hard enough - but I'm a gamer, and I know if people want to pre-order something, they will.

How long is the demo? Our lock in event is tomorrow.

I'd say 15-20 mins, but trust me people will be dying left right and center. You simply cannot run and gun.

Once you find the shotgun you'll be happy! Limited ammo though. Combining materials to make a pipe with scissors attached is a must, can one hit kill the weaker enemies.

Moobabe

I'd say 15-20 mins, but trust me people will be dying left right and center. You simply cannot run and gun.

Once you find the shotgun you'll be happy! Limited ammo though. Combining materials to make a pipe with scissors attached is a must, can one hit kill the weaker enemies.

I'm so hyped for it. Might grab myself one of those posters while I'm at work as well.

Vashetti

Banned
Hmm, Cardiff event is tomorrow, might try and go!

How was it set up at the one you went to? Myself and my boyfriend are pretty shy. Kind of want to be left alone to play, you know?

Were there enough consoles/TVs for everyone?

Audioboxer

Hmm, Cardiff event is tomorrow, might try and go!

I'm pretty shy so it might be a bit of a struggle to interact with people :p

As are me and my GF, but it was pretty relaxed. If you just want to jump on a demo kiosk and then leave right after you'll be fine to do so. I mainly started chatting to Paul because my GF studies event management and desperately wants a job in the Games industry organizing large scale events. He ended up being an awesome dude so we continue to speak about The Last of Us/Eurogamer and all things Sony.

He did say about the next Xbox, it certainly is not always online, but as he works for Sony I see more credibility in his statements surrounding them (not that I don't believe it, I genuinely do think now that the rumour storm has blown over a bit, the next Xbox will certainly not be always online).

BibiMaghoo

Yeah, would love to play an anticipated game like this, standing in a GAME store with a cue of people behind me, with a limited play time and no way to continue my game when I own it.

I'll pass.

Top Bottom