• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube issues statement to “Let’s Play” video creators regarding monetization

Youtube has released their official statement regarding gameplay footage and copyright:

We know we have a lot of partners who love and want to post videos relating to games, so we wanted to share some tips to help you monetize gaming content.

As always, you should ensure that you have all the necessary rights to commercially use all content in a video before you submit it for monetization. Video game content may be monetized depending on the commercial use rights granted to you by licenses of video game publishers. Here are some tips!

● Check the video game publisher’s license agreement (Terms of Use, EULA etc). Some publishers allow you to use all video game content for commercial use and state that in the license agreement.
● Get written permission. Some publishers may allow you to monetize videos containing their game content if you reach out and ask.
● Videos showing software user interface may only be monetized if you’ve signed a contract with the publisher or paid a licensing fee.
● If you do have the appropriate license, submit your documentation to YouTube in a timely manner. If you do not have the appropriate license from a video game publisher, your videos must contain minimal use of video game or software user interface and be as informative and educational as possible - commentary must follow the live action shown step by step.
● Use your video metadata wisely! Use relevant, accurate titles, tags and descriptions for your videos.
● Make sure your dialogue is family friendly, so fans of all ages can enjoy your video.

A final reminder: Simply buying or playing a video game does not grant you the copyright or permission to monetize. To earn revenue from videos from the game, you need commercial rights.

For additional information about monetizing video game content, as well as what YouTube requires in the documentation you submit, please refer to the Help Center.

https://plus.google.com/+YouTubeCreators/posts/SULUVfi3K2T

jediyoshi

I missed when all this was in a gray area and I could watch counterstrike linkin park montages all day long

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Bump for those that might have missed this under the avalanche of XBO news.

I'm coming to the conclusion faster and faster now that this is one of the Games Journalism avenues of Gen 8 here, and YT is heading off being caught being seen as complicit in sapping of the message.

onipex

I've been telling people on YouTube that they just need to seek permission from Nintendo but they would rather just whine about it.

I can't wait till nike or adidas etc claims that it owns all rights to soccer balls, and that any home made video's which use the soccer ball must be given promission to monetize.

Or that I have to ensure crayola is okay with me selling the painting I made with their crayons.

Or photoshop letting me upload timelapse paintings using their software.

How about the fact that it's the person playing who's developing the content with the assets provided by the developer, and that once those assets have been purchased by the end user they have every right to create and distribute their re-worked creations/manipulations of those assets.

You just claim artistic liscense and commentary.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
https://plus.google.com/+YouTubeCreators/posts/SULUVfi3K2T

We know we have a lot of partners who love and want to post videos relating to games, so we wanted to share some tips to help you monetize gaming content.

As always, you should ensure that you have all the necessary rights to commercially use all content in a video before you submit it for monetization. Video game content may be monetized depending on the commercial use rights granted to you by licenses of video game publishers. Here are some tips!

● Check the video game publisher’s license agreement (Terms of Use, EULA etc). Some publishers allow you to use all video game content for commercial use and state that in the license agreement.
● Get written permission. Some publishers may allow you to monetize videos containing their game content if you reach out and ask.
● Videos showing software user interface may only be monetized if you’ve signed a contract with the publisher or paid a licensing fee.
● If you do have the appropriate license, submit your documentation to YouTube in a timely manner. If you do not have the appropriate license from a video game publisher, your videos must contain minimal use of video game or software user interface and be as informative and educational as possible - commentary must follow the live action shown step by step.
● Use your video metadata wisely! Use relevant, accurate titles, tags and descriptions for your videos.
● Make sure your dialogue is family friendly, so fans of all ages can enjoy your video.

A final reminder: Simply buying or playing a video game does not grant you the copyright or permission to monetize. To earn revenue from videos from the game, you need commercial rights.

For additional information about monetizing video game content, as well as what YouTube requires in the documentation you submit, please refer to the Help Center.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It should be covered under fair use.

I saw this writeup on GB, dunno how accurate it is:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/la...pyrighted-character-part-ii-blog-post/100970/

The other option available to Let’s Play is to claim that their videos constitute a “fair use” of Nintendo’s copyrighted material. “Fair use” is an exception to copyright law stating that under certain circumstances, the public is allowed to use copyrighted material without the copyright holder being able to sue them. For example, material may be used for criticism or education without being able to trigger a copyright claim. There are four factors that get examined when looking at whether something qualified for the “fair use” exception:

1. The purpose and character of the use, including whether such work is of a commercial nature or is for non-profit or educational purposes
  2. The nature of the copyrighted work
  3. The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
  4. The effect of the use upon the potential market or value of the copyrighted work
Most of the debate on this issue is going to center around the first factor, which is also the one that the US Supreme Court has labeled the “primary” factor. The central examination taking place under this factor is whether the work claiming fair use is “transformative” in nature. If this seems really vague and unhelpful, that’s because it’s intended to be that way. Congress and the courts don’t want to strictly define the term and potentially limit some future legitimate use of the material. Therefore, it would be a mistake draw conclusions about Let’s Play videos simply by taking the dictionary definition of “transformative” and applying to say that the fair use exception applies (or doesn't). That said, most “transformative” works are held to fall into two categories; parody and commentary/criticism.

Since the Let’s Play videos are pretty clearly not parody, their only real chance of falling into the fair use exception is to qualify as a “commentary” on the gameplay. Obviously, your feelings on this matter are going to turn heavily on just what you feel a “commentary” is.
Nintendo would certainly argue that “commentary” means something more substantial than a bunch of guys sitting around talking about playing a video game and that the term implies something a little bit more critical than what amounts to a “Long Look.” On the other hand, if you define commentary as “a descriptive spoken account of an event or performance as it happens,” then you probably think that Let’s Play qualifies. They are after all, describing their experience with a game as they are playing it, which seems to fit that definition.

Given that there is support for both sides, I would point out that this is an examination of just one of the four factors. The other three tilt more against Let’s Play; they are for-profit videos and those tend to receive less fair use protection than non-profit or educational videos. This puts them at risk under factor number two. Additionally, they show substantial portions of a game, in some cases the entire game. This puts them at odds with factor number three, which gives less protection to items that display significant portions of a copyrighted work. In other words, Let’s Play videos are likely going to have a hard time qualifying under fair use.

This makes me happy.

tim-curry-grinch-smile-o.gif

ElFly

It should be covered under fair use.

I really doubt that a Let's play that covers a significant part of a game's content would fall into fair use.

Even Rifftrax has to pay licenses for the movies they laugh at.

Besides this all falls under the youtube license agreement; youtube isn't really cutting out your fair use rights.

I really doubt that a Let's play that covers a significant part of a game's content would fall into fair use.

Even Rifftrax has to pay licenses for the movies they laugh at.

Besides this all falls under the youtube license agreement; youtube isn't really cutting out your fair use rights.

Get outta here with that logic, it's overreaction time!

I don't see why someone should be allowed to make a video of an entire single player game that they didn't create without permission and get paid for it. Youtube's warnings on this matter seem fair and balanced.

Videoneon

I'm more interested in the shutting down of LP's that aren't designed to monetize and were just shown off (i.e. the Shining Force 3 LP's from Sega when Shining Ark was being released.)

LP's with monetizing in mind are definitely going to have a harder time in the future (thanks for the fair use link).

rbanke

I'm sure someone can (and will) show me where I am wrong in thinking this, but I feel like this is not much different than furniture, posters/art on the wall, cars, etc on a movie/tv show set. Those things are being used in the production of a greater thing, but still add something to it. If I as a game publisher can claim monetary rights to something you created with a game I published, shouldn't I also be able to do the same if you are using a boat in your video that my boat company made? What if you make fishing videos and you use my companies fishing rods? Certainly I am entitled to the ad revenue you are generating because without my rods, you wouldn't be able to make these videos.

I'm sure someone can (and will) show me where I am wrong in thinking this, but I feel like this is not much different than furniture, posters/art on the wall, cars, etc on a movie/tv show set. Those things are being used in the production of a greater thing, but still add something to it. If I as a game publisher can claim monetary rights to something you created with a game I published, shouldn't I also be able to do the same if you are using a boat in your video that my boat company made?
The game is the center of an LP, not some thing in the background.

rbanke

The game is the center of an LP, not some thing in the background.

What do you think about the last part of my point? I know its a stretch, but its in the same vein. I'd also argue that people watch LP's for the comentators more than what they are playing.

What do you think about the last part of my point? I know its a stretch, but its in the same vein. I'd also argue that people watch LP's for the comentators and more than what they are playing.

It really isn't. Also people keep bringing up that people watch LPs for the commentators, that's all fine and dandy, but if they really are just watching it for the person then the LPers can do a different kind of video for money and do LPs for fun.

ElFly

I'm sure someone can (and will) show me where I am wrong in thinking this, but I feel like this is not much different than furniture, posters/art on the wall, cars, etc on a movie/tv show set. Those things are being used in the production of a greater thing, but still add something to it. If I as a game publisher can claim monetary rights to something you created with a game I published, shouldn't I also be able to do the same if you are using a boat in your video that my boat company made? What if you make fishing videos and you use my companies fishing rods? Certainly I am entitled to the ad revenue you are generating because without my rods, you wouldn't be able to make these videos.

If you theoretically were to watch a reality show, as I have never done, you would notice that a lot of trademarks, posters, art on the wall and t-shirts are blurred over.

Not exactly sure why but licenses must be in the equation.

Regular shows don't do this normally as they have more control over what they show.

MrKayle

I'm trying to look at this from the perspective of a game developer/publisher

help: gets the word out about the game, it's free marketing!!

hurt: some people might just watch the game being played instead of buying, or will be turned off by how the game is represented and not buy it

i think the solution is to make games that must be played to be enjoyed...

hwy_61

Banned

No. I don't agree with these points. Just because I watch someone driving a beamer, or using a fishing rod, it doesn't mean I'm getting anything out of it. You can't use a fishing rod by watching someone else use it.

ElFly

I don't know much on US law but aren't walkthroughs etc classed as a trans-formative work?

Youtube and the publishers (say, nintendo) aren't sending cease and desist orders to LP makers. They can make all the LPs they want and publish and distribute them, even on youtube.

They are just taking the ad profits from the videos cause they contain massive portions of the publishers' IP.

rbanke

If you theoretically were to watch a reality show, as I have never done, you would notice that a lot of trademarks, posters, art on the wall and t-shirts are blurred over.

Not exactly sure why but licenses must be in the equation.

Regular shows don't do this normally as they have more control over what they show.

I always thought they did that because they don't want to give free advertising.

lenovox1

What do you think about the last part of my point? I know its a stretch, but its in the same vein. I'd also argue that people watch LP's for the comentators more than what they are playing.

Your last example isn't relevant to copyright law.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I will spend millions of dollars just to make a few hundred bucks. Sounds good.

Deft Beck

LPs are an excellent form of indirect marketing. It only makes sense that if the video creators are monetizing their videos that the content creators/publishers/develeopers also get a cut.

Silent LPs of single-player games aren't worth going after, IMO.

hwy_61

Banned
I have to say that yes, it does seem like a bonehead move on Nintendo's part, but the problem in having is Let's Players making money off of these videos. That's where I draw the line.

M3d10n

No. I don't agree with these points. Just because I watch someone driving a beamer, or using a fishing rod, it doesn't mean I'm getting anything out of it. You can't use a fishing rod by watching someone else use it.

But I can definitely see all of the TellTales' Walking Dead story, a major selling point of the game, by watching it.

Meier

The fact people have been making money off these videos absolutely blows my mind. Of course it shouldn't be possible.

fallagin

These lets players bought the game, they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want with it besides pirating it.

Linkified

Youtube and the publishers (say, nintendo) aren't sending cease and desist orders to LP makers. They can make all the LPs they want and publish and distribute them, even on youtube.

They are just taking the ad profits from the videos cause they contain massive portions of the publishers' IP.

But a trans-formative work then makes that work the property of the creator, video creator - Nintendo doesn't need that money. It gives a bad taste in the mouth. Revenue split sure? Taking it all kinda pathetic.

ElFly

I always thought they did that because they don't want to give free advertising.

I think that's part of it but it seems more like protection against lawsuits. It is not exactly the same issue as having to license the things, but companies may not like being associated with, say, jersey shore, if it's not the demographic they are targeting.

But a trans-formative work then makes that work the property of the creator, video creator - Nintendo doesn't need that money. It gives a bad taste in the mouth. Revenue split sure? Taking it all kinda pathetic.

Oh I completely agree but the reality is that the LPers are in the wrong here. Fair use doesn't protect them.

These lets players bought the game, they should be able to do whatever the fuck they want with it besides pirating it.

They still can do whatever they can with the games besides pirating it.

Top Bottom