• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolls Royce of Gaming Consoles?

nightez

Banned
Which games console was the best indicator of socio-economic status ever?
Neogeo £650... 3DO £700... PS3 £600??

Roi

GC_PanasonicQ.jpg

Jaguar

Sony-PSX.jpg

Mercedes

Definitely Neo Geo. The system lived on solely for the hardcore for a long ass time, while people talked about system generations, Neo Geo was always in the background minding it's own business transcending generations with game prices that would scoff at the so called "high" prices of current generation gaming.

Thoren

Banned
I can't find a link now, but there was a PS3 entertainment set up for thousands of dollars that included a built-in PS3.

camineet

Banned
RDI Halcyon - $2500 in 1984 or 1985
halcyon.jpg

3.8 times the cost of a NEO-GEO Gold
6.25 times the cost of a NEO-GEO Silver
2.7 times the cost of a Pioneer LaserActive
3.5 times the cost of a 3DO
4.1 times the cost of a 60GB PS3

(actually more given inflation)

argon

Neo Geo!

Seeing that pic makes me realize that its industrial design holds up even today; it has quite the timeless look to it.

oBa

Beaten by camineet but I thought I would post the flyer anyways.

Rdi Halcyion Laser Disc game system.

Price: $2,500 back in 1985.

haclyonflyer2ed0.jpg

haclyonflyer3sn3.jpg

Gek54

argon said:
Neo Geo!

Seeing that pic makes me realize that its industrial design holds up even today; it has quite the timeless look to it.

My thoughts exactly. Very nice. I think I would buy one today for the same price of a Wii instead of a Wii.

camineet

Banned
overall I would still go with the NEO-GEO. first system to actually bring the arcade home, without the bullshit lies of everyone else, especially SEGA's marketing.

console wasn't that expensive, but the games sure were. first system that I know of to introduce memory cards, 4 years before Sony did (1990 ====> 1994).

camineet said:
overall I would still go with the NEO-GEO. first system to actually bring the arcade home, without the bullshit lies of everyone else, especially SEGA's marketing.

console wasn't that expensive, but the games sure were. first system that I know of to introduce memory cards, 4 years before Sony did (1990 ====> 1994).

That might be because memory cards weren't necessary before CD based media. Carts could obviously save data without them.

That being said, the master system and Turbografx both had actual games available in card format prior to 1990- the turbografx cards were even compatible with the turboexpress portable to play on the go.

the more you know, and all that.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'd have to go with Neo Geo because of the game prices. $599 today for a PS3 isnt luxury in my opinion, since so many can afford it.

Victrix

*beard*
I have to go with the Neo Geo, not because of the price, but because the fans (who still exist today, and lurk in dark corners of the internet) are the most rabid insane stuck up bunch of complete whackos I've ever encountered in all of videogame-dom

Which is an impressive feat, on some level

Victrix said:
I have to go with the Neo Geo, not because of the price, but because the fans (who still exist today, and lurk in dark corners of the internet) are the most rabid insane stuck up bunch of complete whackos I've ever encountered in all of videogame-dom

Which is an impressive feat, on some level

Dreamcast fans say hi.

Seriously though, I agree the neo takes this. While there are other expensive consoles (the CDI, and that halcyon thing is just out there) the Neo actually had a reputation for some VERY high quality games and was supported long after a lot of more mainstream consoles.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It was the Sonic Team Dreamcast. Only a couple were made and it went for as high as $5000 on Ebay.

Ponn

Banned
Neo Geo. Me and my friends were the gaming clique in school and between us all we had just about everything. No one had a Neo Geo though.

camineet

Banned
Victrix said:

I agree with that completely. neo-geo.com forum is absolute proof of what you said :lol

Boerseun

Banned
Innotech said:
speaking of the NeoGeo, the wii is getting games for it on VC ;)

Yeah, this got me really excited when they announced it. Though I don't remember them mentioning which games would be supported. Or am I mistaken?

Tiktaalik

I'll have to say Neo Geo because not only was it expensive, but it's games were expensive.

Also it is an extremely sexy console.

Dizzan

MINI Member
Neo-Geo

I remember driving to this shady guys house, who had a game store like setup in his garge. We used to pay $350 per game.

Suffice to say, we only ever bought about 4 games until we "upgraded" to a SNES

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The Halcyon? What the hell was that? I pride myself on knowing a lot about gaming history, but I'd never heard about it until now. Voice activated? Over 700 titles? Who made all these titles?

Manmademan said:
That might be because memory cards weren't necessary before CD based media. Carts could obviously save data without them.

That being said, the master system and Turbografx both had actual games available in card format prior to 1990- the turbografx cards were even compatible with the turboexpress portable to play on the go.

the more you know, and all that.

But the Neo-Geo was a cart-based system with memory cards as the only save system... :)

While it is true that most consoles didn't need memory cards because of internal cart saving, the Neo-Geo and Turbografx are exceptions to that... the Turbografx with to-system saving (with an addon or the CD drive, I think? I know that the Turboexpress didn't support saving, too) because they didn't put batteries on the cards in most cases, and the Neo-Geo because the carts don't have save RAM onboard...

Dali

I'd say Neo Geo because the carts were so damn expensive. It is only a temporary crown though, until the release of:

playstation9ql0.jpg

This thread has made me flip through old gaming mags from the early-mid 90s. Damn were there some odd systems back then. They'd be received so brutally in this modern environment.

Jackson

Dali said:
I'd say Neo Geo because the carts were so damn expensive. It is only a temporary crown though, until the release of:

playstation9ql0.jpg

:lol

"PS9: Play out in the middle of the traffic, have psychotic breakdowns, travel down dark alleyways downtown! Its worth it!"

Dilbert

Neo Geo would win for consoles, but if you slightly expand the definition of "console," then high-end gaming PCs win every time. It's mind-boggling how much some people spend on their gaming rigs...

Dali

-jinx- said:
Neo Geo would win for consoles, but if you slightly expand the definition of "console," then high-end gaming PCs win every time. It's mind-boggling how much some people spend on their gaming rigs...

Yeah but one can actually be productive on a high-end PC. Consoles are [were] pretty-much a really expensive one-trick pony.

tnw

Banned
I don't know why the PS3 is on there because it's not being marketed as a rolls royce gaming system.

The NEO GEO was more like the freemasons. A gaming console you know exists but no one you know owns one. But somewhere someone is playing amazing games where each game costs the price of a console you bought. It was never strongly marketed to the mainstream. That's Rolls Royce. How many have you actually seen a rolls royce in real life. I've seen one once at a wedding, which is about as often as I've seen a NEO GEO.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The Neo Geo would be considered one ages ago but its games were ported to many other consoles for a fraction of the price and the console itself without games is no more expensive than a used 360 on Ebay.

If we want to be technical, we can throw in that 18k PSP by Russell Simmons that goes for more than $10k.
You can add the Orta Xbox.
You can add the Seaman Dreamcast Xmas bundle.
You can add the Mazora Dreamcast.
You can add the 666 LE PS2s.
Etc.

camineet

Banned
the articles that got me aware of NEO-GEO, and wanting one.

neogeoegm0gf7.jpg

neogeoegm1xo3.jpg

neogeoegm2og6.jpg

SNK wanted to market NEO-GEO as a 32-Bit system before they called it a 24-Bit system :lol

Top Bottom