• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA frustrated by Nintendo, is Working On Brand New SOC For Gaming Handhelds & Consoles

He cares cause Enzo Ferrari doesn't want to build and sell Kia Rio's. People and companies who strive to be the best aren't content peddling trash.
This is a hilarious argument when you consider that Ferrari made the V6 currently used in the Alpha Romeo Quadrifogilo cars.

You do what you need to do to make money. Any money.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This thread is still going from a very shallow source and with absolutely no evidence whatsoever ... interesting.

jm89

Nintendo: "We want your cheapest SoC".
NVIDIA: "We don't do cheap anymore, son."
giphy.gif

Zannegan

Hardware specs, 3rd party games, and even entire Directs leak all the time, so I can see why people might take those rumors as borderline confirmed. But this kind of stuff, that could only be heard by a few people high up in the company and/or their therapists, gets filed under D for Dubious in my book:
  • "Phil Spencer insecure about the size of his Gamerscore."
  • "Nintendo developing top secret Luigi Board to bring back Satoru Iwata as company's first spirit CEO"
  • Gabe Newell selling Valve shares to Meta to support Ozempic habit.
Not that I think the Switch 2 will be a bleeding edge loss-leader (it won't). And NVidia could be pushing to showcase some of their proprietary tech in mobile hardware (though they don't exactly need Nintendo for that). I just doubt that Jensen Huang or someone close to him would publicly vent this supposed frustration, let alone that some "insider" with no rep would be the first to hear of it.

Plus, I find it hard to believe highschool-level drama like "X hurt by Y's lack of attention, starts relationship with Z to make Y jealous" actually happens in the business world. Companies backstab eachother all the time, but their motivations are money and control, not feelings.

Yes if that's what they did.
I thought they were using the vehicle Soc though?
Nintendo saw the opportunity to use it for another purpose. 🤷‍♂️

Prolly why the company’s been around for 120+ years and has never been more profitable than they are now. Mostly on the back of the “shitty tablet device using a vehicle SoC”.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Nintendo saw the opportunity to use it for another purpose. 🤷‍♂️

Prolly why the company’s been around for 120+ years and has never been more profitable than they are now. Mostly on the back of the “shitty tablet device using a vehicle SoC”.
Are they using it or not? I'm getting confused...

Woopah

Yes if that's what they did.
I thought they were using the vehicle Soc though?
The T234 is the vehicle SoC that, from my understanding, is too big for a gaming device, even something like the PS5.

So what Nintendo has asked Nvidia to do is take the T234 and customise for something that can be used for gaming, such as cutting out things it doesn't need and making it smaller, while also adding things that would be helpful.

This is what the T239 is (Switch 2 will still likely be a hybrid though).

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
This is a bit ridiculous. The Switch was hardly a piece if shit when it launched at $300 in 2016. I can understand the argument for their prior handhelds at launch.
That’s one opinion. It’s a toy. I’d gladly buy a true next gen home console. Nintendo hides its awesome games behind its CHOICE to cheap out on hardware. Well my display doesn’t play well with what it really is, a handheld.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

That’s one opinion. It’s a toy. I’d gladly buy a true next gen home console. Nintendo hides its awesome games behind its CHOICE to cheap out on hardware. Well my display doesn’t play well with what it really is, a handheld.
Repeating gimmicks hasn't worked well for nintendo and they know this.

I am hoping for a surprise from them.

Top Bottom