• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Nvidia might be working on a PC handheld rival to Steam Deck

Draugoth

Gold Member
4e94e923c61bf0843639a22594f1385a

Nvidia is reportedly working on a PC gaming handheld of its own, according to YouTuber Moore’s Law Is Dead, with the claim that “Nvidia is getting serious about making more handheld gaming devices with their graphics IP (intellectual property) in them.” Not only does it make sense in general, as this market is a growing one that Nvidia would want to invest in early, but there’s another important reason for the tech giant’s alleged investment.

Moore’s Law is Dead claims that though Nintendo will be using Nvidia silicon to power its Nintendo Switch 2, Nvidia is looking to expand beyond the console market with a PC-oriented portable system. The YouTuber also asserted: “I have heard that [Nvidia] may even partner with Intel to make a premium gaming handheld.” While this would circumvent the x86 roadblock, it would also require a proper heatsink since the CPU and GPU would be separate.

Source

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
why partner with Intel over AMD?
this is interesting nonetheless, this might be the first PC handheld with a dedicated gpu

Sentenza

I'm starting to get a bit confused about why so many companies are suddenly trying to enter this niche.

The Steamdeck was a decent success but we aren't exactly talking of Iphone-like earth-shattering sales. I doubt that there's that much to make, especially if you start to fragment the market even more.

bigdad2007

I freaking loved the OG shield portable. It was the Steamdeck before the Steamdeck.

Actually the form factor is way way more comfortable than any of the current handhelds. It was an Xbox duke controller with a folding screen. For years and years I wanted a new version, but the Switch killed it I think since I’m sure Nvidia didn’t see the point of creating a competitor to a customer they are supplying chips for.

If the rumor of the Switch 2 going away from Nvidia is true maybe they will make one now.

squarealex

Nintendo, Valve, Nvidia, Asus, Lenovo, MSI, other chinesse company, Microsoft and maybe Sony.

What the f... hell...

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I'm starting to get a bit confused about why so many companies are suddenly trying to enter this niche.

The Steamdeck was a decent success but we aren't exactly talking of Iphone-like earth-shattering sales. I doubt that there's that much to make, especially if you start to fragment the market even more.
The Steam Deck was a decent success sure, but the console that inspired it is what's causing all this crazy competition. The Steam Deck just offered an easier alternative to handheld game console in the form of making a handheld PC that runs windows (missing the point abit since the Deck ran linux but eh.) no need to build up a game library, first party, taking a loss on hardware, build a platform or anything like that. Just have nice hardware and a decent user experience.
2023 was already a pretty big year for PC handhelds but the biggest GPU manufacturer releasing one is a real big deal

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Why did you add " rival "? Why is everything a team sport with you people?

Nvidia is set up now to make great mobile devices. And it being their own without the Nvidia tax should make it the best it could be.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Wouldn’t this be an ARM based SoC? That will drastically cut amount of games available. Even if they produce an emulator for x86 in ARM like some of the current community efforts, it would still take a huge hit to performance.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with though.

Last edited:
as long as we dont have a UI for windows for handhelds for gaming this is pointless
Nvidia will just install Valves own Steam OS. There's nothing stopping them from doing so, they already have their own Linux distro and can easily port their proprietary drivers to this flavor. Pretty sure Valve themselves will start supporting Nvidias drivers once it's known to them that they want to get in.

Drew1440

A lot of them want to be the next Samsung in the handheld gaming space.

Buggy Loop

Duh? Outside of MLID crap, it's an obvious shooting in the barrel type of statement.

It's why I said to peoples that thought Nintendo would go for the cheapest fucking crap or fuck it up to be less powerful than a Deck that Nvidia wouldn't let them do that, first Nintendo could not afford the R&D costs of Nvidia for a pure custom chip like old ATI times, so Nvidia has a chipset on the side for gaming handheld focus with of course a certain amount of tweaks specific to Nintendo, mainly for cartridge handshakes and anti-piracy, etc.

They'll do like Shield, they'll use a variant of this for their own hardware. It could have been a shield 2 plugged to TV but the PC handheld market being hot right now would also make sense for them, a dock effectively makes it a Shield 2 anyway.

Holammer

It *is* weird how everyone and their dog is doing a PC handheld now.
What if the Deck is actually a huge stealth success with tens of millions of systems sold, every insider in the industry knows it and wants a piece of the pie.

shamoomoo

More companies in a particular market,the less niche something becomes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If they make a steak deck competitor with a competitive price, I will be very interested in that piece of shit

MLID is nothing but Fake News. But this is something that I would not be surprised...

If they make a steak deck competitor with a competitive price, I will be very interested in that piece of shit

Define "Competitive Price". I mean logically they won't be making something around $400. Be a lot more than that.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

The market for handhelds is huge: Switch, steam deck, portal, kishi/backbone, windows handheld etc. Getting a slice of that pie is likely profitable. For Nvidia pushing ARM based devices over x86 could have multi billion dollar advantages in the future.

Mr Hyde

If this is true, and it's a real handheld with no streaming GeForce bullshit, I'm much more interested in it over an AMD-branded one.

SoloCamo

My concern is power. Sure, Nvidia gpu's are more efficient but in a combo like this? There is a reason I've been using 15w AMD APU's in my laptops since 2014....

Last edited:

Calverz

Because it probably represents the biggest growth sector at the moment. May as well get in early (ish)

Can they get a licence from intel or AMD, a handheld with an arm cpu will be dead on arrival on a pc handheld.

Given that it legitimately sounds like nVidia is going to make at least high performance (ARM) laptop parts, there's probably going to be some attempt to get Windows on ARM going as a gaming platform.

Android might work better.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

Wonderful.

All those sweet rumors/speculation about powerful specs, DLSS, etc was true-except it was for Nvidia's new handheld console and *NOT* Nintendo's.

For the Nintendo Switch 2, Nintendo to simply use another Tegra X1 at regular speeds(instead of underclocked) for a slight performance boost, kick resolution up to 4k and ensure backwards compatibility. /sarcasm but Damn they'd probably do this, wouldn't they?!

giphy.gif

Top Bottom