• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5080 reportedly launches before RTX 5090

Draugoth

Gold Member
Nothing is set in stone yet, and it is unlikely to be confirmed by anyone at this point, but one thing is certain: when it comes to NVIDIA GPU leaks, Kopite7kimi seems to be one of the most reliable sources. The leaker has responded to claims that the RTX 5090 graphics card could be the only model launching this year. These reports have no basis and technically make no sense, but Kopite wants to set the record straight.

According to the leaker, the GeForce RTX 5080 should actually appear before the RTX 5090, the supposed next-gen flagship GPU based on the Blackwell architecture. Contrary to the reports that the RTX 5090 would be the only SKU launching this year, it would actually be released after the RTX 5080.

Source

Last edited:

MaKTaiL

OK, let's just hope the 5080 is actually affordable and a worthy upgrade from the 3080.
Despicable Me Lol GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Confusing and conflicting rumors.

I’m guessing they’re releasing a very cut-down chip that should be called 5080 but they’re planning on branding it the 5090, until gamer backlash forces them to change the name back to 5080

Ozriel

M$FT
5080 should once again be the sweet spot in terms of performance and power consumption. In for one when it shows up.

Hopefully this means they’ve got 5xxx series laptop GPUs for next year’s gaming laptop refreshes too

Last edited:
You guys definitely need a 5090 to play all those indie games lmao. Wake me up when we get actual demanding visual beasts on PC. Until then, 7080 is a more realistic wait for buy.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm a little concerned on pricing with GDDR7 memory making its debut on RTX 50xx.
I'm more concerned about the power port they're using these days, literally the only thing keeping me from thinking on getting an Nvidia card until it's solved, but I'm whiling to give it a go if reports are good.

Cyborg

These Nvidia GPU will come down in price when we have a competitor that is able to match them in every aspect.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp more time to build up the war chest. Can't go back to the 80 tier after the 4090. I'm invested now.

Buggy Loop

I wonder what feature they will lock behind the new generation this time?

Wouldn't be surprised that it's the gen where they implement their Neural Radiance Cache tech optimized in the RT block for path tracing or a variant of it. Tech is already software ready in RTXGI SDK 2.0 but their papers if I recall showed many areas of improvements on hardware side.

Basically more AI

I would be shocked if 5000 series is not tailored made for making it the Defacto Path tracer, leaving Ada and Ampere in the dust for PT.

Dr.D00p

All I'd say is If you are considering a 90 class, then get it in the launch period.

It's the only time it makes sense to get one.

You'll get two solid years of enjoyment out of it, no worries about it being superceded by a mid gen refresh or their 2nd hand value falling.

Hudo

I said nothing about price. My comment was all about efficiency. the 4080 had better performance per watt than the 4090
Ah sorry. I misread. For some reason I read sweet spot in terms of performance and price.

Mea culpa.

MikeM

Keep in mind that Kopite7kimi might be seeing a cut down die and thinking that it’s the 5080… while Nvidia will release that die and named it 5090 at $2000
Leaving room for a future Titan?
*Looks at kids' college fund*

They can stop after high school.
“Do a trade, son. Get paid right away, womenz be all over you and your truck, And you get to have an alcohol problem. Now THAT is a quality education!”

Ozriel

M$FT
Ah sorry. I misread. For some reason I read sweet spot in terms of performance and price.

Mea culpa.

No worries at all. I use dual 1440p monitors so the 4090p was overkill for me…and the 4080 uses like 100w less power.

I’m not sure I’ll move up from 1440p anytime soon, so the 5080 would probably be the more sane upgrade for me.

Can’t deny I haven’t been tempted by the 4090 though…

Hudo

No worries at all. I use dual 1440p monitors so the 4090p was overkill for me…and the 4080 uses like 100w less power.

I’m not sure I’ll move up from 1440p anytime soon, so the 5080 would probably be the more sane upgrade for me.

Can’t deny I haven’t been tempted by the 4090 though…
I've been one of the premium retards who bought a 4090 for the price Nivida were asking for.

What can I say? I am a massive idiot.

Top Bottom