• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE CEO Jim Ryan Interview about PS4

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A few snippets from this Interview that can be found on http://metro.co.uk

This interview is pretty refreshing, as its not just softball question after softball question.

GC: I’ve been to a lot of E3 conferences but I’ve never seen anything like last night, with the chanting and the genuine… relief, not just happiness, from the crowd. Is that the response you expected, because the intensity of the reaction certainly seemed to take [PlayStation America boss] Jack Tretton by surprise. Which kind of implies even Sony didn’t quite appreciate just how important these issues were to people.

JR: It’s an interesting question. I’ve been attending these things for nigh on 20 years and I’ve never seen anything like it, for us or anybody else – platform holder or publisher. I think we were very confident in what we had to say, but I don’t think we were expecting quite the level of enthusiasm that manifested itself.

GC: The flipside of that euphoria though is that if you ever renege on any of that you’ll be crucified. Are you happy now for Sony in general, and the PlayStation division in particular, to be seen as… I can only paraphrase Andrew House at the end where he said, ‘We’re fighting for consumer rights’. Because that is not what you expect a global corporation to be saying and I just worry that some people within Sony might see these issues only as buzzwords or a temporary means of getting one up on your competitors.

JR: I can see why someone might put that interpretation on it, but if you look at the two… put aside the issue of price, which is a perfectly rational human reaction to a price that’s lower than that of our competitor. But if you take the two points that got everyone so excited when Jack was on stage – the used game policy and the need not to be always connected – those are things that we decided upon well before the furore of the last couple of weeks. Those are matters of policy that we determined were appropriate for our platform.

It’s interesting that you reference that last closing bit of Andy’s, I liked the bit where he spoke about have to gain or regain the trust of consumers. I thought that was very important, and you sort of mentioned the possibility that some of the stuff might be ephemeral – that there might be some small print somewhere – to the best of my knowledge, which I wouldn’t say is considerable but it’s probably as considerable as anybody’s, there isn’t any.

I mean who knows, some force majeure situation comes up years down the road – nothing’s forever necessarily – but these are our policies and we intend to stick by them.

GC: I wrote an editorial before E3 which warned readers that there are only two constants in the games industry: that companies never learn from their own, or anyone else’s, mistakes and that they always miss an open goal.

[Sustained and knowing laughter from both Jim Ryan and his PR handler]

GC: I think one of the reasons this situation seems so unusual is that a company, Sony in this instance, made neither of those common mistakes.

JR: Your editorial sounds somewhat cynical but if you based your observations on things that have happened in the past they’re not unreasonable. [laughs] But we have certainly learnt our lessons from the PS3. And there are a number things that occurred that time round that we do not intend to happen again. And I think some of the things that we’ve done in February and then again yesterday indicate that we have learnt those lessons.

GC: And in a similar manner there’s also a cycle of console manufacturer dominance, and publisher dominance as well, where a company does very well and it’s justifiably successful, and then it gets arrogant, and then it makes seemingly obvious – often anti-consumer – mistakes, then it does very badly, and then it realises its mistake, starts making an effort again, and the cycle repeats.

JR: You could be talking about Sony couldn’t you? [laughs]

GC: I’m only playing devil’s advocate! But genuinely I was very pleased with your announcements, purely from a consumer point of view and regardless even of whether you were talking about games or not. But what I also found interesting is that I would say on a game-by-game basis, particularly in terms of exclusives, Microsoft probably had the better of the two media briefings. And I can see an enormous caveat in that there seem to be a large number of first party Sony developers that haven’t announced anything yet for the PS4, but the fact that there isn’t an obvious killer app yet for the PlayStation 4 does seem to be your Achilles heel.

JR: First of all, in response to your observation that they had the better of it yesterday – which is understandable. It’s understandable… but I’m not saying I agree with it. I’d just point out that we unveiled a very large number of games at the February 20th event and at their equivalent launch event, for their own reasons – which may be perfectly good reasons – they did not focus so heavily on gaming. So obviously their powder was drier than our powder. But I think if you look at the piece cumulatively I would say we were at least competitive.

GC: Oh sure, I’m not suggesting you were very far behind. But my particular concern, which I may have voiced in February, is the nature of some of the titles that were announced. I just… again they’re not bad franchises per se but Killzone and inFamous just don’t seem to justify the level of prominence you’re giving them, given the quality and level of success of their predecessors.

JR: I’ll tell the developers you said that. [laughs]

GC: But again, I don’t want to pretend it’s a terrible game or anything. But… is this part of a bigger plan for your release schedule? I’d be perfectly okay with Killzone being merely the start of a constant stream of first party releases, but if it and inFamous are all we’re getting from Sony for the first six months…

JR: Yes…

GC: And before you say yes…

JR: I already did! [laughs]

GC: Before you try and convince me that the answer is yes all I’m thinking of is the launch of the 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U where exactly the same things were implied and the very opposite was true…

JR: Well you know, 70 million PS3s probably says you we’ve got a pretty good chance of it. I think relative to the platforms you’ve just mentioned, when you look at the scale of consumer interest you look at the volume of pre-order business that’s been done. And some of that’s just people writing their name down on a form, but a lot of it’s people putting £50 down – so that’s serious intent.

I think, and I’ll be quite honest, who knows where it’ll end up in four or five years’ time but I think we’re going to get off to a damn good start and in this business momentum is all. If you get the momentum going and you get all the publishers and developers behind you, you might not be guaranteed success but you’ve got a very good chance.

GC: So you’re confident that that supply line of quality games is already in place? You won’t have a good launch and then nothing for six months?

JR: Not at all. And the statistic was quoted yesterday, I think it was 140 games in the first year. And the majority of those will come in the back end of 2014.

JR: Publishers are our major partners, we talk to them on a very regular basis – we listen to what they say. At the end of the day they have to provide an account to their shareholders and the single biggest factor that influences whether they make money, on either individual titles or a portfolio, is the size of the installed base that they’re publishing on. And that dwarfs everything else. If you get a spreadsheet out, which we obviously don’t have time for, I could demonstrate it to you.

So, yes there is a certain common knowledge that there is unhappiness within the publishing community over the fact that they do not participate in the second-hand business. However, if you offer any publisher a choice between an installed base of X – where X is a very large number – with the status quo on the second-hand disc-based model or 50 per cent of X and some sort of putative cut of the second-hand business I can predict with 100 per cent certainty what they would take.

GC: I must say the line-up on the PlayStation 3 last night was very impressive: only one sequel and an excellent diversity of other titles. Is that just an accident of where those games ended up or is that some kind of statement of intent for the breadth of titles you want for the PlayStation 4 as well?

JR: The PS2 we kept going for 13 years, we’re only seven in for PS3 so with an installed base of 70 million you’d be a fool not to want to publish to that still.

And the bonus:
GC: Good point, well thank you for your time. Oh, I forgot the obligatory Last Guardian question!

All: [laughs]

PR guy: You’re the first person to ask as well!

JR: We might have more news on that… no news this E3…

GC: It does still exist though? It hasn’t been cancelled?

PR guy: It does exist.

Read the full interview here: http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/18/plays...icies-and-we-intend-to-stick-by-them-3845735/

benny_a

Messed up some copy paste here, but should be fixed. I still recommend to just read the full interview.

benny_a

"I'll tell the developers you said that." Ha.
Other than quips no new news or anything.
Partly why I posted this.

It's not often you read an interview where the interviewer says the interviewees stuff is not that great.

Ashes

Banned
I just read the launch games thread, about how more launch games may be announced, and I just read here that the last guardian exists.

I don't intend to buy ps4 this fall due to its multiplayer tax, but TLG would push me over. dammit. Not that I think the game will sell tons, but I mean, if it's ready, why not? god tier launch title for the core crowd.

benny_a

Because I'm the arbiter of quality I'm going to settle this Killzone vs. Infamous thing for all time.

Infamous I liked 2.5 out of the 3 games.
Killzone I liked 1 out of 3.

Infamous > Killzone

Don't exaggerate. It doesn't sell as well as something like Battlefield or even Borderlands, but it's definitely not mediocre.

Plays like and sells like it though...

It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as COD, BF or Halo. Not even Gears or Uncharted. No Killzone is well below those franchises in terms of sales. Sony should just kill it when SF bombs despite being a launch title.

Don't know when right now. Hopefully, all things well, we'll be playing it next year. Believe.

SCEJ on lockdown right now.

:O

Roxas

InFamous is a solid franchise and SS looks better than any exclusive on either console...so not sure what the interviewers problem is there..

HooYaH

Yikes at the 2014 backend of games. If I were Sony, I would push some of those games during the beginning-mid summer.

btkadams

InFamous is a solid franchise and SS looks better than any exclusive on either console...so not sure what the interviewers problem is there..

i don't think he was referring to quality, but to the popularity. infamous isn't god of war or uncharted. i'm so unbelievably stoked for it, but i can see the interviewers point that it probably isn't going to grab the attention of the mainstream population like uncharted, halo, or god of war.

Excellent interview, Jim Ryan seemed humble enough. Didn't sound like he tried to be "right" all the time. I guess that's what happens when your company is in the process of a comeback. I bet the PS4 will sell 5 million before Derrick Rose's return.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That was a pretty good interview. I found this part in particular very informative:

Publishers are our major partners, we talk to them on a very regular basis – we listen to what they say. At the end of the day they have to provide an account to their shareholders and the single biggest factor that influences whether they make money, on either individual titles or a portfolio, is the size of the installed base that they’re publishing on. And that dwarfs everything else. If you get a spreadsheet out, which we obviously don’t have time for, I could demonstrate it to you.

So, yes there is a certain common knowledge that there is unhappiness within the publishing community over the fact that they do not participate in the second-hand business. However, if you offer any publisher a choice between an installed base of X – where X is a very large number – with the status quo on the second-hand disc-based model or 50 per cent of X and some sort of putative cut of the second-hand business I can predict with 100 per cent certainty what they would take.

It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as COD, BF or Halo. Not even Gears or Uncharted. No Killzone is well below those franchises in terms of sales. Sony should just kill it when SF bombs despite being a launch title.

Is this fucking for real or are you trolling?

ElRenoRaven

I tell you the Sony guys know how to say the right thing. I always liked Sony but with the PS3 they started to become a company I didn't like so much till the end of this generation. They started the generation so arrogant. The last couple years though they really improved a lot and it seems that will continue with the PS4.

Yikes at the 2014 backend of games. If I were Sony, I would push some of those games during the beginning-mid summer.

They really don't have any power to do that. Publishers just like to load up their releases into the fourth quarter of each year. It happens all the time and some times leads to the newer IP's getting chewed up and spit out by the established brands. It's one reason that Sony was very smart to launch TLoU at a dead period in the year.

benny_a

i don't think he was referring to quality, but to the popularity. infamous isn't god of war or uncharted. i'm so unbelievably stoked for it, but i can see the interviewers point that it probably isn't going to grab the attention of the mainstream population like uncharted, halo, or god of war.
Too bad they couldn't make Infamous into a launch game, as launch games have the chance to become quite big due to limited selection and good games bubbling to the top.

It would be absurd if the third one launches in end of May, beginning of June yet again.

Verendus

Banned
Out of Infamous and Killzone, I think Infamous has more potential. Killzone is a decent series, and it has its fans, but Infamous is getting a very good opportunity right now. It kind of got lost in the shuffle on the PS3, so whilst it was successful, it wasn't a big IP. It's going to be releasing just when people want something more than the launch games, and it really is, in my opinion, the most impressive title currently announced from SCE releasing on the PS4. If it clicks, then this could be a really big hit for SCE and Sucker Punch. The potential for open world games like Infamous is going to be pretty incredible with the PS4, but more importantly, Infamous is the kind of game that can showcase the powerhouse ability of the console.

HooYaH

They really don't have any power to do that. Publishers just like to load up their releases into the fourth quarter of each year.

I meant for first party Sony titles. They have 15 more announcements for the year which is quite a lot. Won't be surprised if 3 of those titles are Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and GT6 converted to the PS4 and a few titles that are throwaways (Invizimals).

benny_a

Killzone 2 had fantastic multiplayer and the KZ2 MP guy is now back for KZ:SF.

That and shiny new graphics are the only reason I'm not as bummed about Killzone being announced than I thought I would be. Before the PS-Meeting I was hoping for Guerilla Games' New game.

Out of Infamous and Killzone, I think Infamous has more potential. Killzone is a decent series, and it has its fans, but Infamous is getting a very good opportunity right now. It kind of got lost in the shuffle on the PS3, so whilst it was successful, it wasn't a big IP. It's going to be releasing just when people want something more than the launch games, and it really is, in my opinion, the most impressive title currently announced from SCE releasing on the PS4. If it clicks, then this could be a really big hit for SCE and Sucker Punch. The potential for open world games like Infamous is going to be pretty incredible with the PS4, but more importantly, Infamous is the kind of game that can showcase the powerhouse ability of the console.

I know this is kinda off topic, but I would like to ask: Do you see Sony offering games on the PS Store for $5-$10 cheaper to help encourage digital adoption. Or perhaps a more uniform percentage discount on titles on the store? Pre-order bonuses would be nice as well. I mean...give me a reason to not use amazon.

On topic: Infamous looks amazing. A day one purchase guaranteed.

btkadams

Too bad they couldn't make Infamous into a launch game, as launch games have the chance to become quite big due to limited selection and good games bubbling to the top.

It would be absurd if the third one launches in end of May, beginning of June yet again.

with open-world games like gta5, saints row iv, and watch dogs coming out in the fall, maybe infamous will do better if it has its own space in the spring. yeah, i hope it comes before june though, like in february/march.

Verendus

Banned
I know this is kinda off topic, but I would like to ask: Do you see Sony offering games on the PS Store for $5-$10 cheaper to help encourage digital adoption. Or perhaps a more uniform percentage discount on titles on the store? Pre-order bonuses would be nice as well. I mean...give me a reason to not use amazon.

On topic: Infamous looks amazing. A day one purchase guaranteed.
Stuff like that isn't really nailed down at this stage, or is still being talked over for the most part. So, I can't really say much that would be of help nor do I know enough details of substance at the moment relating to that. As for whether something like that could be possible? Yes, since they throw around lots of ideas and I know incentives to drive digital sales have been discussed. The question is which ones actually stick once they're agreed upon.

:O
I'm sick of this bullshit "I don't like it so kill it" attitude. No, maybe it doesn't sell eleventy million copies but there are fans of the franchise. Who are you to say what should and shouldn't be developed just because its not your bag?

Real as they come mate, Killzone just isn't very good. It's form over function, looks pretty plays poorly.
Again, says you. There's plenty of folks who think the opposite.

Whatever happened to "each to their own"?

I meant for first party Sony titles. They have 15 more announcements for the year which is quite a lot. Won't be surprised if 3 of those titles are Last of Us, Beyond 2 Souls, and GT6 converted to the PS4 and a few titles that are throwaways (Invizimals).

I definitely think that we'll see Sony spread their titles out. They've been good at that in recent years. We already know that inFamous is planned for the first quarter of 2014. And of course MLB The Show 14 will be released around then as well. They'll probably announce more games at gamescom and TGS, which will give a better idea of what they have to come next year.

Amir0x

Banned
GC: The flipside of that euphoria though is that if you ever renege on any of that you’ll be crucified. Are you happy now for Sony in general, and the PlayStation division in particular, to be seen as… I can only paraphrase Andrew House at the end where he said, ‘We’re fighting for consumer rights’. Because that is not what you expect a global corporation to be saying and I just worry that some people within Sony might see these issues only as buzzwords or a temporary means of getting one up on your competitors.

This...is actually a pretty good question. Not used to those in these interviews. Anyway, nice read

casmith07

Real as they come mate, Killzone just isn't very good. It's form over function, looks pretty plays poorly.

False. Killzone 2 was excellent and the team working on Shadow Fall includes the engineer that did the multiplayer from KZ2.

Even KZ3 was good enough. Not as excellent as 2, but it was still a good game. Just because it doesn't have care packages and kill streaks and Pave Lows doesn't mean it's not a good game.

I'm sick of this bullshit "I don't like it so kill it" attitude. No, maybe it doesn't sell eleventy million copies but there are fans of the franchise. Who are you to say what should and shouldn't be developed just because its not your bag?

It's not that I think they should kill it because I don't like it. I think Killzone is just a waste of resources within SCEE. The opportunity cost to keep pumping Killzone games that don't sell very well is quite high because SCEE could be working on new IP that has a better chance of being successful.

It's pretty ridiculous how so many people hate on Killzone. It almost seems like people just hate on because it's a popular opinion on the forums where it makes you feel like you're with the crowd.

GC: The flipside of that euphoria though is that if you ever renege on any of that you’ll be crucified."

I have been thinking about that before I entered this thread. Sony needs to tread carefully up through launch.

casmith07

This...is actually a pretty good question. Not used to those in these interviews. Anyway, nice read

It's a good question, but it's been asked and answered ad nauseum. It's almost as if the gaming press is just aching for Sony to introduce Xbox-style DRM so they can do the classic "build em up, tear em down" tactic of journalism. It's starting to become exceedingly tiresome.

Top Bottom