• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE CEO Jim Ryan Interview about PS4

So infamous and killzone are not "cool enough" but MS's forza and dead rising 3 are?

"Okay"

Forza is Microsofts boutique racing franchise.

Dead rising is a Capcom ip

Whatyoutalkingboutwillis.jpg

As for killzone, it strikes me as a poor answer to halo. Always has done always will. Infamous I think still has huge potential. Id agree that shadowfall will break even at best.

Its a shame insominac shit the bed with Resistance. If they just kept to the R1 forumla, they would have a COD/Gears competitor on their hands now instead of a dead franchise.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It's a good question, but it's been asked and answered ad nauseum. It's almost as if the gaming press is just aching for Sony to introduce Xbox-style DRM so they can do the classic "build em up, tear em down" tactic of journalism. It's starting to become exceedingly tiresome.

It's worth asking just to shut up the doinks that still insist that Sony really is still doing XBOne DRM.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Who is making a new thread?

At least confirms one auxiliary feature that people have asked about.

thuway

One thing I don't understand. Why were Sony not hounded to reveal their DRM plans after their February reveal?
The rumor mill at the time from DAE, Kotaku, and the rest of the media had found leaked information that Microsoft was applying a stone cold DRM wall. Sony had yet to even suggest anything like that to third parties.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
The rumor mill at the time from DAE, Kotaku, and the rest of the media had found leaked information that Microsoft was applying a stone cold DRM wall. Sony had yet to even suggest anything like that to third parties.

So they never clarified this, then a campaign was started to stop them doing something they had no intention of doing in the first place basically?

Steroyd

One thing I don't understand. Why were Sony not hounded to reveal their DRM plans after their February reveal?

Because Microsoft didn't confirm the DRM rumours till May, and up until then everyone just assumed it was the status quo in terms of game ownership, or at least thought no-one was stupid enogh to try it.

DieH@rd

Banned
What I want to know is, can I share my account with another console? PS3 supported at first sharing of 1 account on 5 consoles, and then they lowered it to two. Hopefully this system will remain active again with PS4.

Somebody needs to ask Sony (yosp) about that.

Because they went silent after the February reveal. Which left only their PR people to talk and their response was always along the lines of "We haven't announced anything yet, but we've always tried to make the right decisions for both gamers and our publishing partners".

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Not just MS, but people were campaigning against Sony as well. See the PS4NoDRM and XB1NoDRM twitter.

Yeah I am talking about Sony, I just was wondering about the timeline of the whole thing. They were smart to get good PR but it seems they had long ago decided against using any DRM, they could have said this any time from February and journalists could have pushed them to.

Instead they got a massive PR victory through not doing something they were never going to do with the PS4NoDRM stuff.

androvsky

Yeah I am talking about Sony, I just was wondering about the timeline of the whole thing. They were smart to get good PR but it seems they had long ago decided against using any DRM, they could have said this any time from February and journalists could have pushed them to.

Instead they got a massive PR victory through not doing something they were never going to do with the PS4NoDRM stuff.

Just after the February event, there were a lot of interviews, and in one of them Yoshida answered the used game question by saying that the PS4 won't block used games (after consulting with a PR person). At the time it was good enough, but after the MS reveal people realized that "PS4 won't block used games" could still mean that there's some sort of back-end transaction model that's required to play them (despite the fact that would actually be blocking them unless you pay).

$h@d0w

Jim Ryan rules.

Htc said:
How is best Xbox one or PS4?

Jim Ryan said:
Hi Htc. PS4. Thanks, Jim

a6PtDLH.gif

Yep. That's why I'm confused when some fans say Sony listened to the PS4NoDRM campaign. It's awesome they never had any intention of adding an always online check, but they were still playing a PR game by waiting to reveal their DRM plans at E3.

Top Bottom