• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 will soon require all Steam players to sign in with a PlayStation Network account

Topher

Gold Member
THE REQUIREMENT WAS REMOVED AT LAUNCH FOLLOWING TECHNICAL ISSUES, BUT IS COMING BACK

The requirement was present when the game originally launched, but after its unexpected early success led to severe technical issues, it was temporarily removed.

Now, a message from Sony on the game’s Steam page confirms that the requirement will return on May 30, and that all players will need to have linked their Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4.

“Due to technical issues at the launch of Helldivers 2, we allowed the linking requirements for Steam accounts to a PlayStation Network account to be temporarily optional,” Sony said. “That grace period will now expire.

“Account linking plays a critical role in protecting our players and upholding the values of safety and security provided on PlayStation and PlayStation Studios games.

“This is our main way to protect players from griefing and abuse by enabling the banning of players that engage in that type of behaviour. It also allows those players that have been banned the right to appeal.

“As such, as of May 6, all new Helldivers 2 players on Steam will be required to connect their Steam account to a PlayStation Network account.

“Current players on Steam will start to see the mandatory login from May 30th and will be required to have linked a Steam and PlayStation Network account by June 4th. PlayStation Network accounts are free and easy to set up using this link.

“We understand that while this may be an inconvenience to some of you, this step will help us to continue to build a community that you are all proud to be a part of.”

Helldivers 2’s next premium Warbond, titled Polar Patriots, will be released on May 9. The DLC will include new weapons, armour, emotes and capes.

According to research firm Circana, which this week published its US games industry sales report for March, Helldivers 2 already ranks 7th in lifetime US dollar sales for Sony published games after just two months of availability.

trojan horse gates GIF by South Park

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ll take this over having to use a separate launcher or storefront any day. Plus I already have a PlayStation account anyway so I actually don’t see it as a big deal.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
the amount of complaining about this is hilarious to me.

just throw a useless email and call it a day. geesh.

I think it's okay for PC players to be a bit miffed if they've been happily playing for months with their Steam account, only to be told by Sony that they HAVE to have a PS account for THA SECURITIES.... when we all know that security has fuck all to do with it, and it's all about fleecing more money from people by making them sign into their eco-system to be sold at, and about bumping up 'engagement' to please shareholders.

Point being, it's an unnecessary move, made by a greedy company, and everybody can see that.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

THE REQUIREMENT WAS REMOVED AT LAUNCH FOLLOWING TECHNICAL ISSUES, BUT IS COMING BACK
I was going to say I thought you had to use it anyway lol.
Review bombing incoming.
Why? Says on the page you need it.
Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: nProtect GameGuard
Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)
Requires agreement to a 3rd-party EULA
HELLDIVERS™ 2 EULA

feynoob

Is this Sonys Trojan Horse moment?
Nah, just regular business pc practice.

People who would take this as a bad thing haven't played PC.

We regularly have companies PUT their own accounts in order for you to play them. Most of MMo games do that.

Last edited:

Robochobo

One issue present here is if you essentially live in any country where PSN isn't actually on that account creation list. Saying you live somewhere else is a violation of those terms and can lead to an account ban. So you've basically allowed people who wouldn't normally, the ability to play the game, and now giving them the option of either not being able to play the game anymore, or potentially getting banned anyway for lying about what country they live in if they want to continue to play.

Big yikes.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It's been listed on the page as a requirement since before launch, why are people acting surprised?
And why are you here trying to defend a multi million dollar company? Also just a quick reminder:

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users

May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts

November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures

August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts

September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack

October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

And this is just those we know.

Holammer

Remember when Sony pissed off a bunch of nerds by removing OtherOS from PS3?
This is going to motivate them for another PSN Hack.

Mr Moose

And why are you here trying to defend a multi million dollar company? Also just a quick reminder:

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users

May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

Huhhhh? Because I can read requirements on a page?
I learned to check after Halo MCC needing it, you can't play the campaigns without an account.

They really do get hacked an awful lot lol.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

I guess just ignoring that the PSN account requirement was already known....before launch ...is better?

So ppl just buy games and not read....interesting.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Huhhhh? Because I can read requirements on a page?
I learned to check after Halo MCC needing it, you can't play the campaigns without an account.
Sure, still a dick move. Don't force it, let people make the choice and don't ruin the good will in an instant. Don't you think it would have been smarter? Also this being for "security purpose" is pure bullshit.

I guess just ignoring that the PSN account requirement was already known....before launch ...is better?

So ppl just buy games and not read....interesting.
I knew it, and I already have my account linked with Helldivers but I can understand why people are upset? It's that simple.

winjer

Gold Member
It's been listed on the page as a requirement since before launch, why are people acting surprised?

Most people don't read everything in a product page or EULAs. As if gamers now have to read through all this crap, just not to get scammed by companies.
Sony did what is essentially a bait and switch. They knew most people would not read the fine print, so they released the game without that requirement enabled, so they would not upset gamers.
Now that some time has passed, and people can't refund their purchase, they switched on the requirement for another account.

As a PC gamer it has become a major problem, that every publisher now requires people to use their launcher, with another account, another service booting up with windows, and a helper service. Frequently, gathering telemetry data to send back.
And them there are the problems with security, because most of these companies do not care about privacy and the security of their costumers data. And Sony has the worst track record in this regard.

Top Bottom