• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Why splitting Xbox One's OS RAM allocation is good for developers

Sakura

Nobody is forcing people to snap apps to the side. When the game is running full screen it gets 5 GB of RAM and 90% GPU/CPU, same as the PS4.
Is there a source stating that the PS4 gets the same as the XBO? Only 5GB of RAM and 90% CPU/GPU? Or are you just saying that?

It's similarly shortsighted to think the only way to do this is through some single, expensive mega-box when much of it can be increasingly offloaded to smaller, cheaper, less obtrusive devices. See Roku Stick and Google Chromecast. Even the TVs themselves are taking on apps more and more. The future of the living room doesn't favor expensive jack-of-all-trades STBs.

My receiver has only so many HDMI slots. I'd rather have 2 or 3 be dedicated to all of my services. I'd also prefer them to be gaming devices. PS4/WiiU/Xbone.

but I get your point :)

Satchel

Banned
I want an all-singing-all-dancing entertainment super-hub. I'm happy that Sony are doing the same thing. I don't really care if you want 7GB for games, I'm not going to spend £350+ on a games-only box.

This is what i don't get. Who the hell wants a games console that only plays games aside from people still using "dumbphones"?

I've wanted an all purpose console since the day my Saturn could be used for DJing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's similarly shortsighted to think the only way to do this is through some single, expensive mega-box when much of it can be increasingly offloaded to smaller, cheaper, less obtrusive devices. See Roku Stick and Google Chromecast. Even the TVs themselves are taking on apps more and more. The future of the living room doesn't favor expensive jack-of-all-trades STBs.

sure, but most smart TVs are pretty shitty at integrating apps in a meaningful way. As are boxes like the roku or apple TV. They are basically little boxes that run apps, and as usual require you to know what you want to watch and what service that will be on.

Xbox one doesn't solve that, but it gives us another chance to get a properly integrated entertainment experience. Something that lets you easily search across your subscribed services, even your live TV (and hopefully recorded TV when they get their act together)

It *could* be the best way to consume entertainment by quite a distance. And clearly MS want a crack at it before Apple have another go. They still have a long way to go but its a start.

Yes, I suppose that if you have negative intelligence you can assume that I am trying to spread this narrative.

if it helps, I don't think you were trying to spread anything, for some reason he seems to be baiting you.

USC-fan

Banned
Completely fucking nonsense.

These "next gen" consoles are just pushing me into building a new PC this year. I want a gaming machine and not a chrome cast device.

Thats a gross oversimplification. Fast task switching like the type shown on both the PS4 and the XB1 requires RAM to cache data in. Being able record gameplay in the background requires resources as well.

Stop saying this. Sony explicitly said that there is secondary hardware that handles recording. It doesn't hit the game resources.

Satchel

Banned
Completely fucking nonsense.

These "next gen" consoles are just pushing me into building a new PC this year. I want a gaming machine and not a chrome cast device.

Doesn't want a machine that does anything more than games.

Buys a PC.

He he.

Stop saying this. Sony explicitly said that there is secondary hardware that handles recording. It doesn't hit the game resources.

The point is both consoles will have resources taken away from games for OS tasks. Saying otherwise is disingenuous at best and shilling at worst. PS4 is gonna be a great games machine, we don't need to make up magic quantum resources to bolster it's spec sheet.

J-Rzez

Crazy. I must be the only one who just wants a machine that focuses on games. I can understand party chat and maybe skype, but I don't need apps on my console that tells me the weather. My PC, phone, tablet, and TV already do that. How many "useful" apps can be applied to consoles? I'm fine with a console playing/streaming movies, but Facebook/twitter/etc? No thanks.

Now a days too many things do the same too many things, simplicity, purpose, and focus has gone out the window.

Bsigg12

The specifics about this aren't even known yet. What happens when your friend on skype asks you "How do you turn off you Xbox with voice?" while you're Skyping him on your Xbone?

There's like 3 commands currently on the 360 you have give in order for it to shut off via voice. Microsoft has it setup currently to avoid this from happening by mistake.

Bsigg12

Except the fact that most ppl use Yahoo or ESPN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNfm0Fhkmi4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3RQOL2Hc8

Its a neat feature but it confuses me why they choose the NFL for fantasy. Its just seems to be an APP which could of been done with any of the top two.

I bet I could build an ESPN.com or Yahoo app that pulls from those services that works in the Windows 8 framework laid down for apps on the XB1. If Microsoft would allow it, both services could easily have dedicated apps.

I bet I could build an ESPN.com or Yahoo app that pulls from those services that works in the Windows 8 framework laid down for apps on the XB1. If Microsoft would allow it, both services could easily have dedicated apps.

This was heavily rumored at BUILD 2013. The WinRT framework will be present on the App partition and its API will be exposed in JS/C#/C++

Estocolmo

Jesus fucking christ! Is RAM the only relevant piece of feature that next generation gamers care about? Looks like RAM is far more important than anything else! RAM this, RAM that. Microsoft and Sony should just forget about researching anything and focus everything on RAM instead. Just make it a RamStation 4 & XRam One, then replace everything in the next gen consoles with lots of RAM to satisfy the Neogaf audience.

3gb seems like a lot for the OS but maybe it will be a really good OS
I don't just care about the games I care about the whole package, as long as their is value as a consumer I will be happy

prwxv3

Personally I really don't see the appeal of multitasking for a console when I have a mobile device that can do the same things but its much easier. The only things I need a console to do is play games, play other media, and have all the sharing features. I don't see the need of other apps that I can use much easier on my ipad.

Doesn't want a machine that does anything more than games.

Buys a PC.

He he.

Honestly, I never understood that rational. On the one hand, they want a command prompt interface for their consoles so as to be "games only". On the other, they think PC more game-focused despite being capable of literally everything else besides gaming.

Jesus fucking christ! Is RAM the only relevant piece of feature that next generation gamers care about? Looks like RAM is far more important than anything else! RAM this, RAM that. Microsoft and Sony should just forget about researching anything else and focus everything on RAM instead. Just make it a RamStation 4 & XRam One, then replace everything in the next gen consoles with lots of RAM to satisfy the Neogaf audience.
I laughed.

Yeah, seems strange that RAM seems to be the single spec that most seem conserened with.

Is there a source stating that the PS4 gets the same as the XBO? Only 5GB of RAM and 90% CPU/GPU? Or are you just saying that?

He's just saying that. Brian Provinciano said that there are some games that are being developed to the PS4 that are using up to 6 gigs of RAM. Therefore, it looks like the PS4 will have at least 6 gigs available for games while the OS takes up 2 gigs of RAM. As for the 90% GPU/CPU tidbit, there has been no info whatsoever on how much resources the PS4 OS demands.

The point is both consoles will have resources taken away from games for OS tasks. Saying otherwise is disingenuous at best and shilling at worst. PS4 is gonna be a great games machine, we don't need to make up magic quantum resources to bolster it's spec sheet.
But it isn't true that the PS4 is losing resources for recording.

I am pretty sure, when you're skyping on your Xbone, that you'll probably be looking at the screen.

Example:

1. Snap Skype
2. You are talking to your friend (friend is on the skype screen)
3. Friend asks you how to turn off Xbox with voice
4. (You're looking at the screen) Xbox Off
5. Fuuuu

Read up

We haven't seen it actually work.
What an oddly specific gripe. That situation, if ever, is unlikely to crop up on a regular basis. Also, say it should. How dificult is it to convey to somebody the commaned without actually saying it? "Say, 'Xbox' followed by the magic word 'off'."

Sorted.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username
Personally I really don't see the appeal of multitasking for a console when I have a mobile device that can do the same things but its much easier. The only things I need a console to do is play games, play other media, and have all the sharing features. I don't see the need of other apps that I can use much easier on my ipad.
yure not te onlii 1 acoirdn to existn msintenal metricx

xboapp ecosytem degtaizls ncoiming for midseptem>.BbbbIG sgcanceltaino heard abut an verifryin bef4 i say antyinjg here. u wil say wow,.

Barzul

xboapp ecosytem degtaizls ncoiming for midseptem>.BbbbIG sgcanceltaino heard abut an verifryin bef4 i say antyinjg here. u wil say wow,.
Not eben going to bother decrypting all of this. Something about app ecosystem details coming in September? The rest I'll leave that to someone more skilled at deciphering this.

You're not the only 1 according to existing MS internal metrics.

Xbox App eco system digitals incoming for mid september. ______ heard about and verified before I say anything here. You will say wow.

crazy buttocks on a train

quite possibly the greatest username

Xbox App eco system digitals incoming for mid september. ______ heard about and verified before I say anything here. You will say wow.
clos

Usted no es el único, de acuerdo a las métricas internas de Microsoft en aplicaciones existentes 360. Más detalles aparecerán en la mitad de septiembre. Noticia grande en una cancelación, así, una vez que obtenga la verificación. Usted se sorprenderá.

What does reading lips have to do with anything? And that library is highly interpretative and nowhere near accurate.

The commands won't activate if your lips aren't moving at the same time I believe. It won't see your friend saying "Xbox off," so it won't be a problem with your situation.

nib95

Banned
clos

Usted no es el único, de acuerdo a las métricas internas de Microsoft en aplicaciones existentes 360. Más detalles aparecerán en la mitad de septiembre. Noticia grande en una cancelación, así, una vez que obtenga la verificación. Usted se sorprenderá.

You're not the only one, according to Microsoft's internal metrics into existing applications 360. More details will appear in the middle of September. Big News in a cancellation, so once you get the check. You will be amazed.

statham

I translated 'BbbbIG sgcanceltaino' in google translate it gave me' BbbbIG sgcanceltaino'

JJD

clos

Cboat dropping the spanish bombs on this thread!!! =D

nib95

Banned
Cboat, I respect you, but hope for you're sake you're not Spanish. Don't want Microsoft to be able to weed you out. Sure they're not too impressed with your leaks. So be careful lol.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
You're not the only one, according to Microsoft's internal metrics into existing applications 360. More details will appear in the middle of September. Big News in a cancellation, so once you get the check. You will be amazed.

what does it all mean

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
What does that last sentence even mean. It feels amazing to be randomly replied by CBOAT

putting the two translations together sounds like a cancellation, but hes waiting to verify/check info, but we'll say wow if true.

nib95

Banned
what does it all mean

Microsoft is aware that not everyone is interested in apps etc. More details of the apps and digital ecosystem will appear in September, but there could also be a potentially big cancellation of some kind, which if Cboat confirms, will surprise and amaze us.

Top Bottom