• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

Kelpie

Slither (2006) 95 min - Comedy | Horror | Sci-Fi - 31 March 2006 (USA)
Watched via Netflix Streaming - Never seen before.

I just finished re-watching Firefly last weekend so I decided to start the marathon off with some more Nathan Fillion. I missed Michael Rooker's name when I was checking to see who's in this movie so that was a neat surprise. I liked the creature design and the transformation phases were pretty cool. There were plenty of nods to classic films that were nice and not overdone. Overall I enjoyed this one.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Yeah well screw my backlog. Spent the last two hours watching one of my sentimental favorites of all-time. Dario Argento's phenomenal Phenomena:

IvPSsqN.jpg

Argento is my second favorite director behind Carpenter, and I can count the movies I find superior to this one in his repertoire with 3 fingers (Deep Red, Suspiria and Opera). This is Argento at his over the top finest. Only him would use Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade in stalk'n slash sequences and make it work. Only him would pair up Jennifer Connelly with a wheelchair-bound Donald Pleasence. And then slap-in a laser guided, rollerblading monkey in the procedings.

An all-girl school, a newcomer, the bizarre and uptight headmistress. What does this movie needs? A murderer who kills girls with a spear and collects body parts to add to his collection. Add in sleepwalking and a psychic link to bugs and you get Phenomena.

The film is just bizarre and dream-like all over. It's a twisted nightmare from beginning to end. Even giallos tropes are made twisted and offset. Black gloved killer? Present. But his gloves are cotton and have a little butterfly on the wrist. Gleaming weapon in the dark? Yep...but it's a goddamn IKEA-like spear. A police investigation? Yep, but the investigation tool is psychic insects.

Everything about it is entirely dream-like and hard to wrap your head around. Few movies can pull off the "grim fairytale" style and get away with it but Phenomena does. It features some of the best images in Argento's career (the white dream corridors...damn) and some of the scariest (the reveal of the killer and his lair. Damn) Amazing soundtrack by Goblin too.

aFIGurANT

An American Werewolf in London was:

Fun at first but turned a bit amateur in the end when the action kicked in. I don't know why there was all this amazing work put into making a werewolf suit for the lead if everything is done in the dark and shies away from showing the actual final act. I did like that the movie was funny and had a nice score but other than these two facets nothing seemed too revolutionary to me. I would not watch Werewolf in Paris based on what I saw today.

Ridley327

There is never a good reason to watch An American Werewolf in Paris, especially if you love An American Werewolf in London.

There is never a good reason to watch An American Werewolf in Paris, especially if you love An American Werewolf in London.

Well despite the CG that's aged pretty badly, I always thought the core werewolf designs were pretty rad and grounded. Also, Julie Deply <3 and the soundtrack had Suicide Machines!

Enk

makes good threads.
An American Werewolf in London was:

Fun at first but turned a bit amateur in the end when the action kicked in. I don't know why there was all this amazing work put into making a werewolf suit for the lead if everything is done in the dark and shies away from showing the actual final act. I did like that the movie was funny and had a nice score but other than these two facets nothing seemed to revolutionary to me. I would not watch Werewolf in Paris based on what I saw today.

It may not seem much today but those werewolf transformation effects were awe inspiring back in the day.

GhaleonEB

#2 | Re-Animator (first watch)

Well this was an interesting way to kick things off (officially). Never scary but certainly gory and often bat shit crazy with the basic premise spiraling out of control much faster than I thought it would. Went to some absurdly hilarious places while spilling copious volumes of gore and nudity in almost equal measure. Fun, schlocky 80's flick.

Also seen:

[REC]

##############

So good...

If you enjoy it, definitely seek out From Beyond (here on Hulu) and Dagon.

I've already seen both. From Beyond is my favorite of the three; Dagon was fun but the skinning scene at the end bothered me a great deal. The only likable character in the film didn't deserve that. Effective but I did not enjoy it and it tainted my overall impression of the film.

1. The Pact (2012)
thepactb9brg.gif

The film doesn't rely too heavily on tired cliches and lets tension rise naturally. The protagonist (played by Caity Lotz who will be in Arrow next season) was likable and did a fine performance. The cinematography wasn't that great but they didn't have that much to work with in that small home, the outside scenery was much better. I will definitely be looking forward to whatever this director does next.

Thanks to everybody who recommended this.

Edit: Holy Shit at all the Dr. Pepper product placement.

#1 Scars of Dracula (1970) Oct 1
Maybe it was a break from Hammer Film horror, but I enjoyed this one more than few previous ones. Even though I had nearly fallen asleep closer to the end. But surprise ending was worth it. Still fake bats look lame especially after watching German Nosferatu.
Sideburns are probably the scariest thing of the whole movie.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Watched Insidious: Chapter 2 tonight and I thought it was pretty good. People say it's like the jarring last third of the first, but I disagree. To me it feels like the quiet, subtle moments of the first 2/3s intertwined with some of the kookiness from the last 1/3. There was a good balance between the two, and it was well paced. (I thought the ending of the first was pretty abrupt, but I guess you could say they always intended to make a part two to compliment it.)

There were some decent scares, I especially loved the
"Scooby Doo investigation"
part with the mom. And while it didn't *need* to answer
who the bride in black was
, it was done in a fresh way I thought. The ending doesn't beg for a sequel nearly as much as the first, and it feels like everything is pretty wrapped up, so I wouldn't mind either way if it got another sequel or not -- just as long as it's as good or better. This movie was much more "grounded" than the first's last 1/3 too, so I feel like they have a good idea of what the franchise should be.

Final note: it pulled off humor surprisingly well. There was a particular moment in the middle with the two paranormal guys that had the entire theater (like 6-7 people, lol) cracking up. It was good.

Also fulfilled my day one rewatch of The Blair Witch Project. This movie gets a lot of criticism and hate but it's still effective after all these years, and even knowing it's not real. Few other horror flicks have the audacity and courage to show as little as this movie, yet still be as disturbing.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It might be my favorite horror film, haha. It never gets old to me. I think I'm a freak, cause it got old for everyone else I know the first time they watched it.

Ridley327

A proper review for Resolution will come tomorrow, once I've seen it front-to-back in one sitting. Until then...

WEEK ONE - THE NEW BLOOD
October 1

Never let it be said that sub-genres can't find new ways to excite once they reach well past the point of over-saturation. Certainly, such a concept seems nigh impossible when zombies are the sub-genre in question, which by my count, accounted for about 60% of the films made in any given year this decade. Of that number, my superior scientific research skills peg the number of completely unwatchable films in the 99% range. The Battery is in that vaunted 1%, and may in fact transcend the association entirely.

Former baseball players Mickey (Adam Cronheim) and Ben (writer/director Jeremy Gardner) couldn't be more dissimilar: if Mickey is reserved, Ben is outgoing; Mickey is the romantic, Ben is the realist; and so on. And yet, it would be impossible to imagine one without the other, since their strengths and weaknesses compliment each other, as the title (the baseball term for a pitcher and catcher) alludes to.

It's hard to think of a film that it compares to, since zombies are almost entirely incidental to the plot, and it has the habit of making even the most minor victory seem significant: an early scene is nothing more than an unbroken three-plus-minute shot of our heroes brushing their teeth for what is likely the first time in months, and it doesn't feel like a single moment is wasted. Gardner's script rarely deviates from being largely two guys shooting the shit, but it's always genuine and engaging. Even the film's soundtrack feels eclectic without drawing too much attention to itself. It's the kind of oddball execution that shouldn't exist on any level of filmmaking, but it's on full display here, and it manages to stick with you in ways that few films, even without zombies in them, can manage to.

Its low budget trappings do betray it at times: neither Cronheim or Gardner were professional actors before this film, so they can be a bit uneven, the audio recording for the voices can be a tad on the abominable side, and while they did a much better job with the zombie makeup than you'd think you'd be able to get with a $6000 budget, we're certainly not talking about Walking Dead-levels of detail. But The Battery never feels like amateurs made it over a few weekends, and it never feels like it's trying to jump on a bandwagon simply because it's the hot thing to do. This is unquestionably a singular film, and one that will be fondly talked about for years to come.

October 2 preview: The slight addition of a rewatch of Resolution won't be enough to make me forget about the film originally on the schedule. Antiviral finds first-time director Brandon Cronenberg mining similar territory from his father's classic body horror features, but the real question will be if he's got the chops to strike out on his own without feeling too owed to what came before.

day 01. movie 01. &#12458;&#12459;&#12523;&#12488; (Okaruto) / The Curse.

msLlb10.gif

i like modern Japanese horror, a lot. there's a kind of subversive quality to a great many j-horror classics that leave me jumpy and nervous; waiting for a raven-haired onry&#333; to suddenly materialize from under my couch and yank me down to whatever level of Hell awaits. the best of these films don't even shock as much as they disturb and penetrate my mind for days.

director k&#333;ji shiraishi is apparently a habitual horror film maker, having averaged at least one film per year since his stellar "&#12494;&#12525;&#12452; (Noroi) / The Curse" in 2005. this film however, is like all of the worst parts of Noroi stitched together without any regard for clarity of plot, or actual scares/horror and bloated to an almost 2-hour run time. like many movies in this genre, this is a low-budget (sometimes low-budget-esque but given the absurdly entry-level special effects in this one, this is the real deal) found-footage movie. none of that as it stands are reasons to dislike this film. the claustrophobic, always connected, digital wonderland that is Tokyo (where the majority of this film takes place) lends itself to these kinds of films.

the biggest flaw is that Occult simply isn't scary. it's marginally tense in a few spots, mostly owing to the calculated insanity of main character/antagonist Eno-kun or the at-times baffingly caustic soundtrack. it's Eno-kun's cool, matter of fact demeanor that gives the entire film the possibility of something interesting. the problem is that the plot makes little sense, and isn't really even "horror" in terms of it's subject matter (the name Occult is a complete misnomer). ideas are introduced that are never expounded or even follow-up on later in the film. sub-threads of plot are discarded entirely for seemingly no reason, and by the end, you'll likely have even forgotten what started these series of events in the first place. there are also numerous (NUMEROUS) scenes of relatively ordinary events that go on for several agonizing and uneventful minutes.

the ending is also so terrible i almost laughed. the film is at best an erratic travelogue of the Shinjuku, Shibuya, and outlying areas of Tokyo, but you'd have a scarier time listening to Goblin while using Google Street View.

&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
good for: basically nothing. reminiscing about my trip to Tokyo two months ago i guess.
bad for: your health.

I'm just catching up on the thread now because I kept getting server errors earlier, so sorry for so many quotes/late replies thrown in one post.

Anyone into Stuart Gordon needs to listen to The Flophouse Podcast. Not only is the show hilarious, especially their October episodes, but Castle Freak is a running gag among the hosts.

Thanks for the recommendation. I only listen to 1 podcast now, so I could use a few good ones. I'll take a look.

October 1: Hellraiser

imgHellraiser3.jpg

{...snip...}

P.S. How were the sequels? Probably shit, but some of them *might* be good.

I've been watching them 2 a year since this started, so I'll be doing 5 and 6 this year, but for 2-4:

#2 is well... it has some fantastic old school effects including some awesome stop motion and is a direct followup to the original, but the good things pretty much end there. As you were worried they go into too much detail on the Cenobites and pretty much ruin them. It actually retroactively makes the original a worse movie.

#3 is so goofy and over-the-top I found it hilarious and had a great time watching it. It's kind of like TCM2, only they were probably trying to make something serious and took a wrong turn at Albuquerque. Just thinking about it makes me giggle. I want it on blu-ray so I can watch it every day.

#4 has some interesting ideas and its tone is more like the original which isn't a bad thing, but it falls pretty flat. Poor performances, a lazy script kill it. It doesn't really make much sense either (even more so than the others, and that's saying something). Pinhead's motivations make absolutely no sense in the context of this film.

Now my understanding is that #4 was the final theatrical release (for good reason) and that the straigt-to-video sequels (with the exception of Hellworld) were preexisting, unrelated scripts rewritten to become Hellraiser sequels.

I had Inferno recommended to me in year 1 of the marathon so I am looking forward to getting to that later in the month. The rest... who knows. You can find my reviews to the first 4 linked on the first page of this thread if you're interested.

OCTOBER 2 - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2
aYYKczB.jpg

{...snip...}
Does anyone know if there was a reason for the tonal shift?

IMDd has a bit of trivia that says the sequel was supposed to be a satire of Motel Hell, which itself was a satire of the original TCM and the studio forced considerable changes so what was left became TCM2.

Are you going to watch #3 and 4? Those are... well. I'll let you discover them.

matt360

IMDd has a bit of trivia that says the sequel was supposed to be a satire of Motel Hell, which itself was a satire of the original TCM and the studio forced considerable changes so what was left became TCM2.

I'm not familiar with Motel Hell, I'll have to check that out. I was planning on watching the 2003 remake with Jessica Biel sometime this week to see how it compares to the original. I'll watch 3 and 4 eventually, but probably not this month as part of the 31 nights.

01_TheBirds_zpsb2c5928d.jpg

01) The Birds (1963) (Oct 1)

"That's a sparrow, all right."

Believe it or not, I had not actually seen a full Hitchcock movie until earlier in the year when I picked up the Hitchcock Essentials Blu-ray set. I watched Psycho instantly but then instead of continuing on with the Hitch boxset, I moved on to Bates Motel and the Psycho sequels.

So now was a perfect time to dig back into that and I watched The Birds today. I doubt many of you haven't seen it, so I'll spare you all the plot details - but what a fantastic movie. Hitch really is the master of suspense.

While most of Psycho's plot was already known to me before watching, all I really knew about the Birds aside from various short clips I've seen, is that the birds were complete assholes. I had no idea half of the movie was a weird romance and even though I was waiting for some hot bird action, it never felt slow or unnecessary because man, when the birds flipped out, they REALLY flipped out. The payoff was well worth the wait.

One thing I love about older movies like the Birds is that if it was made in today's film climate, it would be a total disaster. There's no way they could have pulled it off with the reliance on CGI we have today. Sure, some of the composite shots were dated and somewhat goofy, but I'll take a poor composite with real birds over some CGI wankery any day. And then there's all the crazy stuff with real birds that would have the humane society flipping out and of course what he did to poor Tippi.

I'm not familiar with Motel Hell, I'll have to check that out. I was planning on watching the 2003 remake with Jessica Biel sometime this week to see how it compares to the original. I'll watch 3 and 4 eventually, but probably not this month as part of the 31 nights.

I watched Motel Hell last year, I personally don't think it's worth bothering with unless you're curious about the satire. The DVD transfer is terrible too.

Divius

Oooooohhh looks like this thread is underway in full effect! Love seeing all these write-ups and crazy opinions. Will be posting impressions of my first watch in a bit.

f0lken

I didn't know of this thread until just now, so I'll make my best to wathc at least a movie a day. First one I saw yesterday was this masterpiece

I remember having watched it when I was very little (maybe 10?) and some scenes like the first victim are still as shocking as before, the sound design is so haunting and strident that it still resonates in my head, and the photography is simply sublime. Damn movie makes you feel each stab and keep you tense until the very end, only thing that was jarring was the "soap opera" feel the movie has, kinda like activating true motion or motionflow in some TVs, but anyway is so damn amazing

suspiria.jpg

Today's night is this movie's turn:

One of the most effective parts of the film is the general lack of score. The sound of the birds chirping and squawking (Is that even a word?) really raise the tension. Hitchcock was a genius.

I didn't even notice there wasn't a score until about 3/4th into it too. I think that really shows how effective it was. Really, really fantastic stuff.

I've got nowhere to go now but down :(

*breaks out the Blind Dead DVDs*

Divius

Fe728kf.jpg

#1 - Gojira (1954)
Not surprisingly more drama than horror, as the narration mostly focuses on people dealing with people problems while the giant atomic lizard destroying the country is often only used to bring out these problems. The monster itself is somewhat of a mixed bag, as most of the time it is terrifying when it towers over a burning city while it's mechanical roar brings goosebumps to my arms, at others it's painfully obvious we are watching a man in a suit make waves that crash into a miniature coastline (the miniature work throughout the film was really well done though). Obviously the film offers critical commentary towards WWII, Japanese leadership and other political metaphors and undertones while making a statement on (the testing of) nuclear bombs. 7/10

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Happy October Everybody!

Day 1

"And now you're the last one standing, so to speak."

Hey, this was my day 1 as well!

Child's Play scared the hell out of me as a kid. I remember being brought to tears by the box art. Because of this, I've been a huge fan. Of course, I don't really find it scary anymore. The movies will always get me a bit excited, though. I was disappointed with the more recent movies (too silly), so it was nice to see them give Chucky another serious try. While watching it, I couldn't help but imagine how terrified I would've been if I had been 6 when it came out, despite the laughable CGI. It's extremely rare for me to find a movie scary these days, but I really enjoyed it for the feelings of nostalgia it gave me.

No idea what I'm going to watch tonight. Hopefully something on Netflix motivates me.

Zutroy

Started off with The Descent last night. I felt it had a bit of a slow start, but I got into it by the end. The thing I liked about it is usually when whatever is hunting the main characters is fully revealed in a film then it's no longer scary for me, however in this film it managed to keep it's creepy edge to it.

MattyH

1: Cut (2000)
1881730.jpg

very very underrated slasher flick involving a "cursed" film and the students to attempt to finish it im on my phone atm so keeping it brief

rogueriffers

Neo Member
Thanks for the recommendation. I only listen to 1 podcast now, so I could use a few good ones. I'll take a look.

Can I suggest our podcast? You can find it here. We just talk about movies video games and make a few jokes.

#3 is one of my favorite TCM films, and one of my favorite horror movies. I'll have a review later in the month.

Ridley327

TCM2 sure as fuck ain't no Motel Hell.

Bit-Bit

Last night I watched Poltergeist.

Haven't seen it since I was a kid. It really doesn't hold up well. I'm not sure if it's trying to be scary because the music is overbearing and takes all of the tension out of the few scenes with it.

The little girl was a horrible actress and she just got more annoying as the movie went on.

The mom was hot though.

Eklipsis

Ok so I cheated a little....I started watching a few days before Oct 1st so I could also fit some of my favorites and to make sure I get all 31 movies in because TWD starts this month also so Sundays will be spoken for.

One question though....Where do you guys find the movie gifs? or are you making them yourselves?

BioHazard

A local theater is doing an all night Halloween marathon on Halloween night. From 10pm 8am:
American Werewolf in London
Burn Witch Burn
Fright Night
The Burning
Dawn of the Dead

The question is...am I a bad enough dude to accept this challenge?

Gameboy415

1. The Relic
220px-Relic_ver1.jpg

-I hadn't seen this movie in ages so I decided to kick off my list by watching the Blu-Ray version I picked up over the summer.
The creature effects still look good after all these years and the plot, while a bit predictable at times, was still fun and entertaining. It sounded pretty awesome with Surround Sound too!

MattyH

A local theater is doing an all night Halloween marathon on Halloween night. From 10pm 8am:
American Werewolf in London
Burn Witch Burn
Fright Night
The Burning
Dawn of the Dead

The question is...am I a bad enough dude to accept this challenge?

worth it for the burning and dawn

Lub me some horror-GAF. I would participate in full spirit this year (haha) but I'm actually finishing the second draft of my feature length horror screenplay! Been a dream come true having jobs that allow me to write at nights. I've mainly been watching DVD extras for information, but I'll be watching features too.

Still, I'd love to post at least ten for the month, and anyways, reading everyone's impressions is great, just like the last two times. It's wonderful seeing people's reactions.

I guess I'll try to be as informative as possible.

EDIT: AND REMEMBER, the original Sleepaway Camp is available fo' free on Youtube in 720HD.

Duane_Jones_as_Ben_in_Night_of_the_Living_Dead_bw.jpg

#1 Night of the Living Dead (1968) (Oct 1)
Specifically, tracked down the Elite DVD of the 35mm print that Romero approved, and listened to his commentary with crew members, not actors. Their collective memory is staggering and wonderful, to say the least. Most remember the exact-ish details of production and how each shot was accomplished, probably because it was so taxing on each of them. Kind of like the first Evil Dead shoot, everyone remembers how it was done because it was such a bear in the first place. They laugh at some of the lesser effects and reveal how they did the best ones. The discussions are candid and fast moving, never a dull spot as they consistently keep up with what's occurring on screen. Very little fluff in terms of what you normally hear about productions on these things, they seem to have specifically made it for fans of the film and movie makers. Better than any making of documentary they've released. If you want to learn how to shoot low budget black and white features, I'd make sure to find a way to listen.

The film itself has been talked about over and over, but I'll just say it remains one of my favorites and not just of nostalgia. Romero has an amazing understanding of small groups and stress points, and the story never drags. Ever. Hell, the first zed is introduced in five minutes, and once survivors trickle into the farmhouse everything just plows forward. I think the horror of their related stories does just as well (if not better) than today's five minute explanatory sequences of violence.

Sure, the creatures don't look threatening. Sure, the decisions and tropes have been rehased ad nauseum. Never hurts the original, and it's not like he reinvented the wheel. Once and forever shall be a classic.

And the 35mm transfer looks SO MUCH better than public domain prints, even if there is some haze and fog due to the cameras. I'd love to hear what our UK friends think of the Region B Blu that came out not too long ago.

In short, one of the best zombie survival stories, and one of the most haunting and creepy films ever made.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm not big on horror movies, but want to watch some this weekend. What are the best on Netflix? Anything I should check out as a beginner horror movie? lol.

So I'm not big on horror movies, but want to watch some this weekend. What are the best on Netflix? Anything I should check out as a beginner horror movie? lol.
EDIT: AND REMEMBER, the original Sleepaway Camp is available fo' free on Youtube in 720HD.
Watch and love! Teenage camp horror done right.

VHS-Poster.jpg

1. V/H/S (Netflix)

I had high expectations for V/H/S, but I should have tempered those expectations since it combined two horror formats fraught with perils (found footage presentation and anthology). Like other horror anthologies, I thought that some of the horror shorts were very effective, while I turned from the movie to check e-mail or Twitter not because of tension, but because of boredom.

There were two barriers to my emotional investment or enjoyment. First, even though the shorts were written and directed by different people (Adam "You're Next" Wingard, David "The Signal" Bruckner, Ti "The House of the Devil" West, Glenn "I Sell the Dead" McQuaid, Joe "Drinking Buddies" Swanberg, and a group called Radio Silence), I felt pummeled by the same white dude-bro personalities, from the white petty criminal thugs in the framing narrative to the white party dudes from David Bruckner's "Amateur Night" to the male characters in Glenn McQuaid's "Tuesday the 17th" to the Halloween-loving dudes in Radio Silence's "10/31/98." It's one thing to follow a group of white dude-bros over the course of a feature film, like we did in Cabin Fever, and see their personalities (hopefully) gain depth as they react to the circumstances the film presents them. Instead, with these 15-20 minutes shorts, I only saw enough of the characters to be annoyed by them before they get violently dispatched.

I didn't feel like most of the movies had good reasons for using the found footage format or the first person perspective that the found footage format often presents. I get that the found footage format shares the same advantage as first person video games: it draws the viewer in and makes viewer identification and investment easier. However, it needs to be done carefully. The found footage needs to make sense, and the film needs to be able to stand up to scrutiny. If I can't get a sense of answers for "Who found this footage, does the editing make sense, how did this footage get here, why are the characters and the audience watching this" that are internally consistent, the whole format falls apart. And that puts aside the question that haunts the found footage format: "why would the characters keep filming while all this is happening?" The use of found footage in "Amateur Night," Ti West's "Second Honeymoon," Swanberg's "The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger," and the framing narrative answered those questions well enough that my suspension of disbelief remained suspended, but "Tuesday the 17th" and "10/31/98" did not.

Realism might be a strange thing to complain about when it comes to supernatural horror movies, but you need the realism to ground the viewers' expectations about the world in order for the supernatural to stand out. The key might have been how they handled the use of technology in those shorts that seemed to make sense. "Amateur Night" hows us events through a camera embedded in glasses a character wears. Sure, the microphone on such a camera probably wouldn't be able to pick up half the stuff the audience is presented, but I can overlook that because the short committed to this conceit. This commitment actually impressed me. "Second Honeymoon" shows us a vacation tape, and there are enough moments in the short that create verisimilitude. "The Sick Thing That Happened to Emily When She Was Younger," showed us the protagonist actually holding up a laptop that had a web camera, even if the device that frames the characters doesn't hit the realism mark. And the film's framing narrative could be thought of as a bunch of hooligans filming their misdeeds, even if it made me think of Stringer Bell asking Sean "Shamrock" McGinty, "Is you taking notes on a fucking criminal conspiracy?" Other than its use of creative static and artifacting, it didn't seem that "Tuesday the 17th" had a good reason to exist as a found footage film instead of a normally shot film.

The other pitfall that found footage movies have to face is the shaky cinematography. Sometimes, it enhances the viewer's sense of confusion and raises tension while it obscures the horror to leave it to the viewer's imagination. Other times, it just makes the film hard to watch. Most of the shorts stayed on the right side of this divide, though "Tuesday the 17th" comes close to crossing to the wrong side.

Divius

^avengers23, is VHS2 also on your list for this year? I personally liked it more than the first as I agree with most of your complaints and criticisms. VHS2 features longer segments, giving them some more time to breath and tell the story.

^avengers23, is VHS2 also on your list for this year? I personally liked it more than the first as I agree with most of your complaints and criticisms. VHS2 features longer segments, giving them some more time to breath and tell the story.

Unfortunately, V/H/S/2 isn't streaming on anything I have access to, so it will have to wait.

No way could i squeeze in a movie every night, but maybe over halloween weekend ill do a binge. Going old school with some of my picks, grew up watching these and havent seen them in so long

The Gate
The Lost Boys
In The mouth of Madness
The Thing
The Shining
Hellraiser
Creepshow

Seriously if i have time to watch even 2 of these, ill be happy

kaiju

Going with sequels as my theme. There are a ton of sequels to Horror movies I've enjoyed that I never watched, so I figured what better time to do so. Not sure if all of the movies I watch will be sequels, but we'll see.

Day 1: Howling II: Your Sister Is a Werewolf (1985)

large_bYpkdOAn1QKrRQwrOwUvtugNLEm.jpg

The Howling is one of my favorite werewolf movies of all time, and although I had heard the sequel was pretty bad I decided to give it a chance. After all, Christopher Lee is in it, so it can't be too bad right?

Wrong. Even Lee can't save this one. The plot is pretty lame. The next full moon will mark the tenth millenium of werewolf Queen Stirba's first transformation, and on that date all the werewolves in the world will wreck havoc. She must be stopped before she transforms, and blah blah blah.

The werewolves look so fake, and you can basically see the glue holding the hair to their bodies. The special effects in the first movie were great, what happened? Different Directors most likely.

There is some real strange stuff in this movie. Kinky werewolf S&M cult? Check. A threesome of werewolves having sex? Check. Baby gargoyles exploding out of a Priest's mouth? Check. And it just goes on and on.

As a lover of bad B-movies (Troll 2, etc), this movie does hold some value. I found myself laughing at how bad the acting, special effects, music and story were. But if you are looking for a good scary movie, stay far, far away from this one.

Top Bottom