• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

6. The Blob (1958)
blob3besgg.gif

For a horror/sci-fi film from the 50s, this was incredibly ambitious. The protagonist played by Steve McQueen is amazing, just like the many films he follows up after this breakout role. The film has a 3 act structure where sometimes the pacing slows down. It doesn't have many scare moments but that "panic" scene felt remarkably genuine. Overall it was an enjoyable film and would recommend.

forrest

formerly nacire
I would recommend What Lies Beneath starring Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfieffer. It's a suspenseful thriller more in the vein of Hitchcock than a horror movie, but well worth the watch during this time of year!

haikira

*Title* = First time watching
201355sf7.jpg

Click any movie below for my "review"

01 American Mary 3.5/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3.5/5
03 Session 9 4/5
04 V/H/S 3.5/5

05 Hellbound: Hellraiser II 4/5
A surprisingly decent sequel. This is just a crazy film, showing lots of imagination, great specials effects work and it's interesting seeing what was set up in the original explored further. I've heard that this is considered to be the last good film of the series, which sounds like quite the achievement considering there're nine of the damn things. With the story being satisfyingly rounded up with this one, I'm tempted to stop here with the series. I think this is my favourite of the month so far.

First Film ive watched so far:

The Conjuring (2013)

A real wasted opportunity this. Started out really quite well, it had some tension, some subtlety to its horror, and some really good (if a bit predictable) scares. I was really getting into it but the second half does a typical Hollywood horror botch job of going balls out mental with flying wardrobes and people spinning around in the air and shit.
First half id give an 8/10, 2nd half, 4/10

Dascu

*Title* = First time watching

01 American Mary 3/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3/5
03 Session 9 4/5
04 V/H/S 3/5

05 Hellbound: Hellraiser II 4/5
A surprisingly decent sequel. This is just a crazy film, showing lots of imagination, great specials effects work and it's interesting seeing what was set up in the original explored further. I've heard that this is considered to be the last good film of the series, which sounds like quite the achievement considering there're nine of the damn things. With the story being satisfyingly rounded up with this one, I'm tempted to stop here with the series. I think this is my favourite of the month so far.
Hellraiser Inferno is pretty good actually.

NIGHT-

Watched Halloween 3: season of the witch last night. Way underrated! It doesn't have a lot or scares but the atmosphere and the mysterious aspects of the movie are amazing. I wish John Carpenter was allowed to do more "Halloween" releases the way he wanted to.

8/10

SolKane

Really enjoyed this one - suspenseful, taut, and the video camera narrative was well employed. The final scene when they arrive in the penthouse was the only very scary part, was the film was so atmospheric throughout that I didn't mind the relative lack of scares.

6. Bride of Chucky
bride-chucky-a.jpg

I think I had seen this one when it first came out. This is about the point where the series turned into an outright campfest, full blown parody series. The kills are fairly dull and the plot is meandering, but there are some good lines thrown in there. Most memorable for me is when Tiffany says "Nah, just babysitting. Foul mouthed little fucker." This also happens to be the high point of Katherine Heigl's career so far.

Alright movie dump time from the weekend.

#5 Alone in the Dark (1982)
766109064_658092dab2.jpg

- A great little slasher, with a great cast. Jack Palance, Donald Pleasance, Martin Laundau, and Dwight Schultz. Loved Schultz on A-Team and Star Trek, so was a surprise to see him as the lead in this one. Group a crazies escape a mental hospital during a black out and hunt down their doctor and family. Nothing special but it's a well done little movie.

#6 Stepfather 2: Make Room for Daddy (1989)
10136888695_1938bb3055.jpg

- The Stepfather to me was always one of the more underrated slasher/thriller films out there, but I never got around to watching any of the sequels. The movies really shine mainly because of the performance by Terry O Quin who is perfect for the role. He has such a non threatening "father" mode but when something goes wrong with his family life, the killing starts. So with 2 we find out the step father didn't die and is locked up in an asylum, of course he breaks out and the film really looks to take a more typical slasher direction this time around. But the movie does slow down and goes back to the more thriller like pace of the original. This wasn't too bad, nothing special for slasher fans but if you liked the original you might like this one.

#7 Funeral Home (1980)
7811213492_b102c37b6d.jpg

- Just a crappy Friday the 13th like clone, nothing at all going for it and it's jus boring as all hell. Nothing happens for like 45 minutes, no gore, no t&a, stupid twist.

#8 The Church (1989)
Chiesaposter.jpg

- Argento produced this atmospheric film about a Church built as a seal to hold back a demonic plague. A bit slow at parts like most things Argento is involved in, but looks and sounds great. Some good gore and lots of style. Some real cool scenes in this one and if your into Italian horror, it's worth a look.

#9 Slugs (1988)
1774023874_03bbfb8b18.jpg

- Killer slugs? Went in expecting awful, instead I thought this was awesome. It's a bad movie, but a good bad movie. Lot of gore, and it's just fun since it takes itself so seriously with the subject matter about mutant slugs taking over a town. Movie also is hilarious in the music department since it's almost all totally misplaced, it sounds like they stole a bunch of random music from other movies and TV and randomly use them for scenes that don't really fit. Out of all the 80's animals gone killer films, this is one of the better ones. And hey, according to the opening credits it's based off a book! lol

#10 Grave Encounter 2 (2012)
8581430061_135d75fc1b_n.jpg

- Something modern for once. Anyways liked the original, so finally gave this one a go. The premise for the film is interesting with a bit of meta involving the original. Really like the concept of how they went with this one. When it finally gets rolling to the good stuff, there is some good moments but overall it just didn't have same impact as the original, in part due to how much time they spent on setting it all up.

devenger

Oct 6: The Innkeepers - I was one of those happy with 3/4 of House of the Devil, so my expectations were lowered. This is also 3/4 of a great movie, but I was more satisfied at the end of this one. Great tension as usual, kind of by the numbers ending. 7/10

I kept thinking, Leigh said there were 3 ghosts, where are the other two? Then she dropped the line about 'reverse déjà vu.' Duh, by the end there WERE 3 ghosts. I also had to watch the last scene about 5 times to finally see a hint of a glimpse of the final ghost.

It looks like I won't be able to cycle Netflix discs fast enough to get thru my whole list, which means, I'll probably have to lose 1408 and the Woods, and do more scraping in the instant watch barrel.

snowtown-murders-poster-us-300-thumb-300xauto-29290.jpg

6. The Snowtown Murders (aka Snowtown) (Netflix Instant)

The first of three horror films without any supernatural elements that I will watch as part of this year's marathon, this was the most horrifying and harrowing film I had seen so far. My feelings of horror and disgust were magnified by the fact that this was a fictional interpretation of a real Australian serial killer and the fact that the way the protagonist was broken and conditioned into following the serial killer and the circumstances that created the killers are not isolated to just poor Australian suburbs. The film's specificity gives it the power to be abstracted and generalized; what happened here wouldn't be farfetched if the film had been set in a poor American town instead.

Since the movie is based on real events, I'm going to talk directly about the events that were shown in the film and drop the spoiler skirting policy of previous posts.

I wonder how many people asked "what if" in the aftermath of these murders. What if the police had responded to Elizabeth Harvey's claim that her boyfriend was sexually abusing her sons? Would Elizabeth have felt compelled to let John Bunting into her life because John was the only one who would take action against the paedophile? What if Elizabeth and her family didn't live in a poor suburb of Adelaide? If her family had been better off financially, would her eldest son be the bastard that he was portrayed to be? What if Jamie and his brothers had a more stable father figure in their lives? Would he still have been so easily conditioned to aid John in his murders? What if the community members had been more skeptical about their neighbors' disappearances? Would John and his gang have been caught earlier? What if the community had understood that homosexuals are not necessarily paedophiles? Would understanding that distinction have prevented John from gaining a foothold in the community to start doing what he did? All I can see from the Wikipedia entry on the actual Snowtown murders is that the leaders of Snowtown wanted to change the town's name because it had been tainted by the scandal.

John groomed Jamie to be his accomplice in murder as much as Elizabeth's boyfriend groomed Jamie and his brothers to be his victims. As if by magic, John appeared. John then used positive reinforcement to befriend Elizabeth, her sons, and the larger community through gestures large (driving away Elizabeth's boyfriend from the town through harassment, though doesn't that just make him some other town's problem) and small (buying ice cream for the boys, letting them ride his motorcycle, taking Elizabeth and the boys to a local arcade for dinner, video games, and dancing). It seemed John had become romantically involved with Elizabeth; did he do it so he could gain access to Jamie and his brothers? By driving away 1 paedophile, John's stature in the community seemed to grow. At what point did John decide that driving them away wasn't good enough, and that he had to kill them?

Because the film is not a procedural, it leaves the viewer haunted with these questions, even as it tells its tale almost bloodlessly. Almost none of the acts of killing are shown; the one we do see is one we had to see because it warps Jamie and desensitizes him so he can assist John. Instead, we only feel the aftermath through the voicemails that John had his victims leave for their family members to dissuade them from looking for them.

Daniel Henshall's performance as John Bunting astonished me. Even when he's asking about everyone else's health, his aggression and mercilessness come through the twinkle in his eye. He doesn't leave room for another person to think when he asks questions; he dominates them by following his questions with "yes?" or "right?" to lead the other person to agreeing with him. Only Elizabeth seems to protest John's behavior, but she's too burnt out by life to effect an effective response.

There's a moment that sticks with me. We only see John sitting in the backyard in the bottom right of the screen. He gets up and gets two bricks from a pile next to the house. At this point, we, the viewers, have a sense that he is a violent man, but we don't know for sure that he's a killer yet. He leaves the frame and returns to his seat without the bricks. The camera switches to one of Jamie's brothers, who is inexplicably wearing a woman's blouse. We see that John has given him the bricks, and he must hold his arms out while holding the bricks. He's a teenager, and he struggles to keep his arms raised. The camera moves again, and we see John smugly sitting in his lawn chair looking at the child struggle. This is never explained. We can assume that John caught the boy wearing his mother's blouse and skirt, but it's possible that John wanted to torture the boy by making him put on the blouse and skirt and forcing him to hold the bricks aloft.

Lucas Pittaway's performance James (Jamie) Vlassakis is also remarkable; it takes skill to appear to give up agency and be so powerless. At first, Jesse Pinkman's description in Breaking Bad of another character as an "Opie dead-eyed piece of shit" was all I kind of think when I watched Pittaway on screen, but Pittaway's Jamie is as much a victim as any of the people John killed. It doesn't absolve Jamie of his guilt, but it complicates things, which is a necessary complication in such a complicated tale.

Finally, I love this poster. There's another that shows Lucas Pittaway as Jamie standing alone, but the visual idea that John is Jamie's devil, whispering into his ear, is a powerful image.

GhaleonEB

Slugs definitely has one of the more unique ways to die.

Death by partial slug ingestion!

My favorite scene starts with a slug crawling into a glove and ends with
the guy A) cutting his hand off and B) blowing up his house, himself and his wife.
It was kind amazing in a Murphey's law on steroids kind of way. The whole movie is wonderfully icky.

matt360

#6 - OCTOBER 6 - Insidious
tm0hEFK.jpg

I thought it was pretty tame. Felt kinda like a horror movie made for the masses. I don't think there was a single scene or jump scare that got me, and I wasn't feeling the comic relief by the ghost hunter guys either. There are so many movies with pretty much this exact same premise, so I'm not really sure why it got made. But apparently it was really successful and a lot of people liked it. Maybe the safest horror movie I've ever seen. I'll throw it a few points because the acting was pretty good and I enjoyed some of the make-up effects. Also, Magdella from Something About Mary is in this movie. 3/10

Camwi

While there's no way in hell we're getting to 31, my wife and I recently made up a list of horror movies we're planning on seeing, and we started that this weekend.

The first one was:

#1. Evil Dead (2013)

I'm a big fan of the original trilogy, and I loved this remake as well. There were plenty of good cringe moments and some good gore. I also dug the homage to the originals with the whole
wielding the chainsaw with a bloody stump
thing.

The second one we watched was:

#2. Carrie

I've seen it plenty of times before but my wife wanted to watch it, so we did. Never seen it uncensored before, though, so I didn't realize there was so much TNA in the intro. Gotta love that retro bush.

Also, can I just say that I'm extremely annoyed that they made the new Carrie hot? One of the reasons Sissy Spacek worked so well was because she's kinda weird-looking, so that's reason enough for all the kids to constantly shit on her.

the guy A) cutting his hand off and B) blowing up his house, himself and his wife.
It was kind amazing in a Murphey's law on steroids kind of way. The whole movie is wonderfully icky.

I was laughing so hard when that happened. Movie is so awesomely over the top.

Ridley327

Yeah, that scene was so ridiculous.

Necrovex

October 6: Requiem

Netflix....Learn how to categorize your films! Just because some mentions of demons are in a film doesn't equate to it being horror.

So I saw a drama last night instead of a horror because of falsehoods. It was a fantastic film, however I had some reservations about the ending. When I wrote this post yesterday, which I didn't post because Gaf crashed, I was really against the ending. But today, I am a lot more mellow about how the film ended.

This is a German movie, but even with the language barrier, I can tell when an actress is stellar at her role. This is not a horror film, so I recommend people to watch this after this month is over.

Score: 4/5

Linkhero1

Any recommendation on Alien Horror movies?

October 6: Requiem

Netflix....Learn how to categorize your films! Just because some mentions of demons are in a film doesn't equate to it being horror.

Yeah, Netflix's categorization is pretty bad. There's some horror under "Cult" but not under "Horror" so I had to keep going back and forth looking for movies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
1)The Blair Witch Project
2)Halloween (remake)
3)The Crazies
4)The Collector

5)Halloween 2 (remake, Netflix Canada): In my review of H1, I said I hoped Rob took another crack at it. Not knowing/forgetting that he had taken another stab at it. This movie is Hollywood 101 on how NOT to do a sequel. Two characters that you might have liked in the first movies, have now been turned into grade a douche bags. Add to the fact that the main actress dialogues is said while she is crying/sobbing 95% and you will hate them both for different reasons. The kills weren't anything special. Michael has been turned into a
drifter bum
and made more human. The movie starts out with a bang and picks up right where the first one ended. After the hospital scene it goes down hill.

5/10. The 5 is for the first half, 0 for the second half.

Any recommendation on Alien Horror movies?

Slither (on Netflix).

Bsw63Ul.jpg

Never saw the remake, but the original is one of my favorites and the ending is still a little creepy; mainly the voice.

8/10.

cchum

Linkhero1;85193071]Any recommendation on Alien Horror movies?

John Carpenter's The Thing
Slither
Alien
Predator (not really horror, but close)
Signs
Pitch Black
Species
Dreamcatcher
Invasion of Body Snatchers

Edit: Thought that Dark Skies movie had it's moments

MattyH

Movie 6 - Return Of The Living Dead
the-return-of-the-living-dead-cover.jpg

ive always had a love for this film ever since my young eyes saw it in the video shop in the early 90s. its everything a zombie fan like me needs 80s Punk (TSOL,The Cramps,45 Grave) Gore,awesome effects and of course 80s boobage.

Now leading onto tonights film

Movie 7 - Dawn Of The Dead 78
DawnOfDead_GBQ.jpg

Now this is The Ultimate Zombie Film ive watched it countless times across 3 different formats (VHS,DVD,Blu) and each time ive noticed things and i owe most of my taste in film to DOTD if it wasnt for the argento Cut i wouldnt of tracked down Suspiria or Deep Red and from that i wouldnt of Found Lucio Fulci and discovered the beyond no matter what cut you watch make sure its on your list (p.s go with the Theatrical first)

devenger

Does anyone know the difference between the original and recent rerelease of Day of the Dead?

I'm ordering a few movies to supplement my Netflix queue, haven't seen either.

MattyH

Does anyone know the difference between the original and recent rerelease of Day of the Dead?

2008 one with ving rhames sucks stick with the original

1oRA9ca.png

Haunting, but I don't quite agree with a psychological horror classification (or any horror). Quite incredible. Maybe beats out Valerie a týden divů as top Czechoslovak New Wave, will have to rewatch it tomorrow to decide (was a while ago I saw that). Will also have to add Panna a netvor (gothic horror by the same director) to the list. 3/3

grim0451

Neo Member
5. Dawn of the Dead (1978)

I've seen the remake, but never the original. I thought it was time to rectify that this year, and I'm glad I did. This movie is hilarious, mostly intentionally, often not, which I'll account to the age of the film. But that doesn't really matter as that's part of the charm, and I have to say by the end the characters are all pretty interesting, adding enough drama to not be entirely goofy the whole time. I've now seen Night, Dawn, and Day of the Dead. I remember really enjoying Day but haven't seen it forever, but I can see why people love Dawn more then any of the others.

Also switchblade mustache comb, I don't know why I laughed so hard at such a brief scene.

Overall: 8

Oct 6: #2 The Serpent and the Rainbow

Synopsis: Bill Pullman, before his days as alien-destroying president, plays an anthropologist who investigates a case of a living zombie in Haiti and find the ingredients for the zombie powder that made him comatose and come back 12 years after he "died." As he dives deeper into Haitian voodoo, a powerful sorcerer tries to turn him into a soulless zombie before he discovers the secret.

Disclaimer: Do NOT use this movie as a basis for real-life Haitian voodoo. I was sorely disappointed that actual voodoo is merely West African animism combined with Catholicism. The Haitian zombie myth isn't even directly connected with voodoo. They don't even steal people's souls and control their minds (bummer). So don't read anything about voodoo before watching this movie. However, the core of the film is based on real events. The living anthropologist Wade Davis did travel to Haiti to investigate a zombie case and did find the ingredients for zombie powder, but that's where reality ends.

Thoughts: Being a Wes Craven film, dreams and reality become indistinguishable for our protagonist, who has to deal with corpses everywhere and surreal visions of his future. The disturbing imagery and excellent special effects help make the movie creepy.

I rate it 7 or 8/10, because the middle pacing is weak and voodoo isn't nearly as interesting as portrayed in the movie.

7th October

Film number 14: Bruiser
Tagline: Meet the new face of terror

Opening thoughts: George A. Romero

eGQwSxi.png

Closing thoughts: Holy fucking shit, what a complete embarrassment for nearly everyone concerned. Jason Flemyng’s US accent is hilarious, Peter Stormare’s overacting is next level ham and cheese, and this film – which is sort of a vaguely supernatural version of ‘Falling Down’ – is just very, very bad.

Score: 2 out of 10. Utter shite. Would have been 1/10 but gained an extra point for having The Misfits performing at a party, plus The Wohlstandskinder’s version of Take On Me is played over the credits.

Film number 15: Devoured
Tagline: You will be…

Opening thoughts: The first feature from documentarian Greg Olliver.

hphJ9Ww.png

Closing thoughts: A young mother from El Salvador comes to the US to make some money to pay for an operation her son needs. She finds work in a restaurant. And bad things happen. This film is wonderful and strange and the most beautifully melancholic horror movie I’ve seen since Let The Right One In. It’s also magnificently spooky, with a gorgeous score and a great ending. Best film of the month so far.

Score: 9.5 out of 10. Because nothing’s perfect.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)

#11 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
9134191329_1b177cacbc.jpg

- Finally released last year on a dvd/blu ray combo, this oddity of a "slasher" is kinda hard to really pin down. The movie is based off true events but obviously takes liberties with the subject matter to make it more interesting. Film though at times feels like a slasher film, it seems to be at odds with itself as it's also attempting to be like a true crime report with a narrator explaining many things. Movie also has some serious and tense violence that really stand out, yet it then has random goofy comedy moments tossed in such as the dopey patrolman and his silly music. The movie soundtrack also at times feels like that of a TV movie and not a horror film. Kind of feels like there was multiple hands involved in this movie who wanted to create something different. But the parts involving the actual killer and such are really well done and shows far more than alot of the slasher that came after it. Long violent attacks, killer clearly visible and stalking his prey, lots of screaming and some decent tension. It's a flawed film due to it's odd presentation, if you went back and just removed the narrator from the film, it would be alot better and feel more like a true horror flick. Movie was previously only available on VHS for years till last year, and Shout Factory themselves seemed confused by the film, as they didn't release it under the horror label Scream Factory.

Apparently a sequel is in the works right now for a release next year....

cchum

#11 The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976)
9134191329_1b177cacbc.jpg

- Finally released last year on a dvd/blu ray combo, this oddity of a "slasher" is kinda hard to really pin down. The movie is based off true events but obviously takes liberties with the subject matter to make it more interesting. Film though at times feels like a slasher film, it seems to be at odds with itself as it's also attempting to be like a true crime report with a narrator explaining many things. Movie also has some serious and tense violence that really stand out, yet it then has random goofy comedy moments tossed in such as the dopey patrolman and his silly music. The movie soundtrack also at times feels like that of a TV movie and not a horror film. Kind of feels like there was multiple hands involved in this movie who wanted to create something different. But the parts involving the actual killer and such are really well done and shows far more than alot of the slasher that came after it. Long violent attacks, killer clearly visible and stalking his prey, lots of screaming and some decent tension. It's a flawed film due to it's odd presentation, if you went back and just removed the narrator from the film, it would be alot better and feel more like a true horror flick.

Apparently a sequel is in the works right now for a release next year....

I remember watching this when I was like 16 or so. Remember it exactly as you described. Need to check it out again. Is it on Netflix or bluray?

I remember watching this when I was like 16 or so. Remember it exactly as you described. Need to check it out again. Is it on Netflix or bluray?

Only on Bluray/DVD combo set, never seen it anywhere else. Tried to find it for years for rent and streaming but apparently it was a rare film for a while only on VHS it seems. The Shout Factory set that came out last year also comes with an extra movie on the DVD copy of the film 'The Evictors', so yay double feature.

Jal

7. Night Of The Demons 2 (1994)

rvlZnM9.jpg

Loved the atmosphere and most of the make-up/effects in this, has that Evil Dead vibe but they tried too hard at the comedy and failed, i can't fully remember the original but I'm sure it was better than this.

5/10

GhaleonEB

Oct 6: #2 The Serpent and the Rainbow

I rate it 7 or 8/10, because the middle pacing is weak and voodoo isn't nearly as interesting as portrayed in the movie.

Largely agree, though I thought it flew off the rails in the last 20 minutes or so. By and large it kept things pretty grounded until the need for a supernatural showdown approached. It was fun, but felt out of step with the rest of the film.

I have both. Haven't gotten around to watching the Scream version yet because I couldn't fit it into my schedule for the marathon, but if you have any specific questions I can pop in the disc to check.

The transfers are different (honestly, I didn't think the original was bad) and both seem to have different quirks with the transfers from what I've read. The biggest difference is with the extras. You're probably better off checking reviews if the extras matter to you.
Here and Here. Go to the screenshot section and check out the pic of the zombies on the street that's included in both reviews if you'd like to compare transfers.

Both cuts are the same. To the best of my knowledge only Night and Dawn had alternate versions released.

Largely agree, though I thought it flew off the rails in the last 20 minutes or so. By and large it kept things pretty grounded until the need for a supernatural showdown approached. It was fun, but felt out of step with the rest of the film.

I felt the same way. I was really into it until it took a dive into Fucktown at the end.

H2Yo

Curse of Chucky: Pretty entertaining with some over the top gore. Wasn't a fan of Charles Lee Ray's backstory, seems to tarnish my impressions of him from the first movie.
Also, I had totally forgotten that Tiffany
had become human again which is totally ridiculous
and also the after credits scene where
Chucky is posted to Andy's house and Andy shoots him in the head with a shotgun... Since when has that even killed Chucky?

Monstersquadposter.jpg

Oct 5th - The Monster Squad

This was a rewatch from last year. Pretty sure it's gonna be a yearly thing, especially as my son's fondness of it continues to grow.
So yeah, not to much to say this time other than it still continues to be a timeless classic that just ozzes classic horror with all the Univeral Monster dopplegangers and what not. Still, I can't praise enough Shane Black's handling of the two cops in this film. I swear Shawn's dad may just be the coolest chain smoking copdad ever commited to film. They sell the buddy cop dynamic so fucking hard despite barely being in the flick

9/10

Pitch_Black_poster.JPG

Oct 5th - Pitch Black

Despite probably being considered more of a SciFi thriller now, what with the expansion of the universe and such, this was very much a horror film when I originally saw it theaters. Film holds a pretty special place in my heart due to it being what I saw with my wife, then girlfriend, back in highschool.
It's aged remarkably well to the point where even the budget CG doesn't stick out as much anymore. Not like say, The Frighteners, but we'll get to that later...
Anyway, the thing that still stands out to me, besides the creation of one of the greatest modern cinema AntiHereos, is the dialog and setup. It's tight and well written almost 95 percent of the time and I found myself easily getting caught up in it all once again. Especially Johns and Riddick. Their banter is golden here and has only aged like a fine wine.
As far as horror, it's still affective with a few great thrills. What always stood out to me more though is how the first half has this great sense of impending doom. The scene where
the eclipse finally happens
is still as awe-inspiring as when I saw it when I was a teenager. Just a fantastic use of color, sound design, music, and peformance. It's striking as fuck.
I still very much adore this film

9/10

Frighteners_ver1.jpg

Oct 6 - The Frighteners

I think I've only seen this film once before in my life and it was a very long time ago. Probably in the 90s actually. Still, seeing it again and it's problems immediately came flooding back again. It's just too fucking long and pretty much climaxes at the musuem sequence. After that, it's still got almost an hour left and not alot of places to go. The finale in particular is the complete opposite of Jackson's Dead Alive (all awesome practical effects). It's devoid of any tension and they go into full CG wankery non-stop. You just get to watch our leads get chased around by a shotgun with an unlimited ammo cheat for what feels like a half an hour.
Not all is bad though. New Zealand still looks very much gorgeous here (It's like Lord of the Rings!) and Peter Jackson get's the most out of it. Though it is funny as the place is so obviously New Zealand, yet everyone is American. When he isn't overdosing on the CG, he does a lot of comendable camera work here as well. The flick just looks great. Danny Elfman's score is pretty phoned-in though, which isn't surprising.

6/10

devenger

Thanks for the info, Thirsty. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything in the actual movie. I'll go with the $7 used version :)

#5 Cast a Deadly Spell (1991) Oct 5

Quote from the cover describes movie spot on - I was thinking about Roger Rabbit while watching. Nice mixture of detective and horror with accent on the detective part. Could do better with a bit more magic for my taste, but guess budget was not big enough. Kicking gargoyle in balls without breaking a leg and thus making an escape made me chuckle.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

I remember this vaguely on HBO when I was a kid. Could of sworn it was called something else at the time though.

Great find!

Top Bottom