• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Drawn to Life Thread of Already Underrated Gem Territory

Infernal Monkey said:
falconalive007.jpg

Best game ever.

That looks really really good. Shame it is so blurry. Any chance of a crisper version? :)
So is it easy to draw on this? I've found it quick hard on the little bits i've tried on worms, although that is mainly down to how damn small the flags are i guess.

That's the best I can get, my camera's shit. :( But yeah, it's really easy to draw stuff, lets you zoom in heaps to cram in detail. I hope there's a car to design later on or something, because Captain Falcon zooming around in the Blue Falcon would amuse me greatly!

shinsnake

Banned
Yeah, I got this game and it's cool to draw the stuff. Like some said before, it's not quite New Super Mario Bros in the gameplay department but it's way more than adequate. Because I like to draw my own stuff, I'd give it an 8.5/10. I made the Punisher and Ghost Rider as my heroes so far.

I think a funny mode you should have implemented was "Mad Lib Mode." My son hands me the DS and tells me that I have to draw him a sock. I look at it and it does look like the outline for a sock, so I draw him a big red stocking, complete with the white half moon on the heel part and green glitter on the top part. It turns out I had just drew him his shooter (that so many other people are drawing penises for).

It would be funny to not know what I'm drawing and just make shit up whenever I see an outline.

My one complaint, and this is probably more due to the DS than anything, you can't really see the fine detail of my character when you're playing. You can't see the skull I drew on Punisher's shirt or the chain I drew around Ghost Rider's chest.

Rlan

Try searching for a "micro" feature on your camera Infernal, most have them nowdays.

Quick Q: Can you only save one version of your Hero, or can you save Multiple Hero skins? I'd love to try a bunch of different ones without deleting the other, but space might be a problem.

shinsnake

Banned
Rlan said:
Try searching for a "micro" feature on your camera Infernal, most have them nowdays.

Quick Q: Can you only save one version of your Hero, or can you save Multiple Hero skins? I'd love to try a bunch of different ones without deleting the other, but space might be a problem.

You can save three hero skins. Can't remember if you can switch on the fly though or if you have to do it back at your house.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I may be stoned for this, but... this game is boring me to pieces.

I like to draw. I like the concept. The gameplay itself just seems... generic, dull, and boring.

Does the gameplay pick up at some point? I've just finished the first "world" (or whatever you'd call it) and I just can't feel interested in continuing the game.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I grabbed this today, along with Gamecube Twighlight Princess, and it is so, so very awesome.

I sat there with a huge grin on my face as I was navigating a world made of platforms I had created... just wonderful. I'm going to start again as I'm not happy with my hero at the moment. Kinda waiting for inspiration to strike.

Anyway, absoloutely wonderful. I hope it spawns several sequels.

jarosh

got this today.

haven't even really played it yet. spent a lot of time drawing my hero...

dtl-samus.jpg

made a video of her running too cause i thought it looked neat:

jarosh

i'm still confused as to when the game saves, what i can re-draw and where i can restart after turning off the ds... the manual isn't very helpful either.

ok, so there was a random sign that would have let me re-draw the first platform. will there be more signs like that (for other stuff too)? can i come back to this level at any time if i want to re-draw this platform? is there another way to re-draw stuff i've already drawn (somewhere in the town maybe)? when does the game save? can i only ever restart at the beginning of a level? can i turn off the ds mid-level or at certain specific points and what progress is saved when i do that?

sorry for all the questions. but a lot of stuff just isn't explained in the game or in the manual.

Amir0x

Banned
jarosh said:
i'm still confused as to when the game saves, what i can re-draw and where i can restart after turning off the ds... the manual isn't very helpful either.

ok, so there was a random sign that would have let me re-draw the first platform. will there be more signs like that (for other stuff too)? can i come back to this level at any time if i want to re-draw this platform? is there another way to re-draw stuff i've already drawn (somewhere in the town maybe)? when does the game save? can i only ever restart at the beginning of a level? can i turn off the ds mid-level or at certain specific points and what progress is saved when i do that?

sorry for all the questions. but a lot of stuff just isn't explained in the game or in the manual.

i would just assume it happens when you complete a level, saving. That's what I did anyway. In town there is that creation building where you can re-draw things.

jarosh

oh! that's cool! thanks. good to know. so i can finish levels without having to draw things permanently...

can you re-draw everything? does it cost something or do you have to unlock it somehow?

jarosh

so i was kinda frustrated at first how you're pretty restricted with a lot of stuff... like with the flame pedestal thingy:

dtl-pedestal.jpg

what am i supposed to do with this? color it? you can't even delete the shitty black outline...

but then i had an idea:

dtl-metroid.jpg

heh. turned out surprisingly well. i managed to work around the stupid borders they set.

dtl-metroid2.jpg

dtl-metroid3.jpg

looks like a dead, burning metroid with its head cover shield thingy broken.

oh and my moving platform (cause i haven't posted it in this thread yet):

dtl-platform.jpg

so anyone else wanna share their creations? i'm really curious.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
that poor giant burning metroid!
i also love that samus gets her daily workout in by stationary jogging on her kitchen table. this is all the "behind the scenes" stuff

Amir0x

Banned
that is fucking amazing, jarosh. jesus christ that's amazing. the limitations of some of the outlines was my second biggest criticism of the game

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Wow Jarosh, that's effin' marvellous. Do you do that for a living then?

(...I still need to buy this game by the way. :( )

jarosh

heh, thanks guys.

SovanJedi said:
Do you do that for a living then?
haha, no way. this is my first attempt at doing pixel art. i have zero experience with this. but i am having tons of fun.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
that is fucking amazing, jarosh. jesus christ that's amazing. the limitations of some of the outlines was my second biggest criticism of the game
QFT

goddamnit jarosh! I hate talented people.
emot-argh.gif

That's brilliant.

Drakken

Man, jarosh's creations are awesome. I imagine it would be way more fun playing through the game with detailed works like that all around. :)

Finished the game today. It was enjoyable (especially the music), though I have to disagree with what some other people said - I didn't find anything particularly novel about the platforming. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the game more if I had any artistic talent and spent the time to make interesting creations (doesn't help that my DS's screen is a bit messed up due to lots of use over time).

Has anyone here unlocked the
secret village
? I haven't, but I've read some threads about it on the GameFAQs DtL board. Apparently you get it by
putting 10,000 coins into the well. Then it's like a Chrono Trigger developers' ending where you can walk around the village and talk to a bunch of NPCs that represent the people who worked on the game. One of them (representing Jeremiah, the lead game designer aka Jackson from this board) says something along the lines of "Did you find the flower to save the mayor's life? Or is there one at all?" Then another NPC says not to listen to Jeremiah.

No one's figured it out yet. I wonder if there really is a secret or if it's just a tease.

Oh! After I found all the secrets in the levels, I still had three songs to unlock (iirc). I got one from putting some coins into the well. Anyone know how to get the last two?

nli10

This will be a present for my Cousin (aged 8 I think) for Xmas. He loves just colouring stuff in on Wario DS so this will be ideal.

If I had more time to game I'd be on this too - it looks like a fantastic idea. So hopefully I can nab a go on his :D

M3wThr33

Banned
Drakken said:
Man, jarosh's creations are awesome. I imagine it would be way more fun playing through the game with detailed works like that all around. :)

Finished the game today. It was enjoyable (especially the music), though I have to disagree with what some other people said - I didn't find anything particularly novel about the platforming. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the game more if I had any artistic talent and spent the time to make interesting creations (doesn't help that my DS's screen is a bit messed up due to lots of use over time).

secret village
? I haven't, but I've read some threads about it on the GameFAQs DtL board. Apparently you get it by
putting 10,000 coins into the well. Then it's like a Chrono Trigger developers' ending where you can walk around the village and talk to a bunch of NPCs that represent the people who worked on the game. One of them (representing Jeremiah, the lead game designer aka Jackson from this board) says something along the lines of "Did you find the flower to save the mayor's life? Or is there one at all?" Then another NPC says not to listen to Jeremiah.

No one's figured it out yet. I wonder if there really is a secret or if it's just a tease.

Oh! After I found all the secrets in the levels, I still had three songs to unlock (iirc). I got one from putting some coins into the well. Anyone know how to get the last two?

The face the ending resembles
Chrono Trigger
is NOT surprising AT ALL.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
Not spurting, but yes your character can be a walking cock and balls that fires round white blobs out of a cock gun while riding on a whale-shaped cock and bouncing on springy cocks. If you're in to that kind of thing.

And now I have to buy this game.

Missed this thread when it first popped up, but after reading about this game in Nintendo Power, not to mention the above post which had me spitting coke onto my keyboard, I'm gonna pick it up when next at the gamesto'.

Jackson

Drakken said:
secret village

You can totally get the
flower
, or can you? Who knows! :lol

And ya Jarosh great stuff :D

jarosh said:
so i was kinda frustrated at first how you're pretty restricted with a lot of stuff... like with the flame pedestal thingy:

dtl-pedestal.jpg

what am i supposed to do with this? color it? you can't even delete the shitty black outline...

but then i had an idea:

dtl-metroid.jpg

heh. turned out surprisingly well. i managed to work around the stupid borders they set.

dtl-metroid2.jpg

dtl-metroid3.jpg

looks like a dead, burning metroid with its head cover shield thingy broken.

oh and my moving platform (cause i haven't posted it in this thread yet):

dtl-platform.jpg

so anyone else wanna share their creations? i'm really curious.

Just stumbled upon this thread. Absolutely brilliant work.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Picked up this game a few days ago. It's pretty fun to draw your own characters and worlds. I do hope they embelish the platforming aspects for the inevitable sequel though

Top Bottom