• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Drawn to Life Thread of Already Underrated Gem Territory

Amir0x

Banned
banner_d2l.jpg

I'm not going to waste time writing huge elaborate things about it, so this will be a pretty mediocre official thread.

As a game from publisher THQ, and first-time Nintendo DS developer 5th Cell, you wouldn't be mistaken if you took a step back and was skeptical that the end product could be anything decent!

This is wrong!

This game is a standard platformer wrapped up in a unique "creation" twist: you draw your vehicles, your platforms, even your hero and his weapons. The platforming elements, while not exactly amazing, do the job well - there is a charming style to the proceedings, some surprisingly memorable music, and a decent array of jumping challenges. Most of them are pretty simple... this is clearly a game designed with the younger crowd in mind as far as difficulty goes... but being lighthearted and simple doesn't really distract in this case.

The core and focus is that you're creating parts of this world. You can choose to be as creative as you like, within the 'outlines' the game gives you, and this leads to all sorts of interesting things. As I had chosen a Earthbound theme, my Ness has a baseball bat gun, the platforming clouds look like those from Dalaam. It's pretty much just a joy to see these things come to life in such a fantastic way. If I had any complaint, it's that your drawings don't impact much from a gameplay perspective outside of their built-in functions. For example, if you draw a really shitty platform it's not going to make jumps harder to make. It's just 'filling in the blanks', in that way. I guess this makes things easier for the young'uns who pick up the game, but that's it!

In the end, you're creating these pieces of the world and when it all comes together it is really cool. It's also neat how when you get hit, you lose pieces of your clothing. Naked Ness *tee hee*

Also the game makes you feel bad 'cause whenever you close the game into sleep mode the creatures go "oh awwwwwwwww" and then when you open it you're greeted with a "yaaaaaaaay!" Why do they make me feel so guilty? :(

As an aside, this game should be rated M+ for MATURE THEMATIC ELEMENTS. These kids are gonna be taught some hard lessons about creationism and a dopey God who ignores his subjects, which might be a bit early if you're under 10!

ss_d2l03l.jpg
ss_d2l02l.jpg

I think the game is probably a 8/10, or a 4/5 or whatever the arbitrary rating scale is.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm probably going to have to pick this gem up. I enjoyed the few drawing games released on the PS2, such as Magical Pengal, etc.

Kyosuke

I'm sooo going to pick this up
when I find it for 30€ or less
. Character creation has always been one of my favourite features in games.

Teasel

truth is amir0x like this because he can play with earthbound characters again
never played this,just joking

Amir0x

Banned
Teasel said:
truth is amir0x like this because he can play with earthbound characters again
never played this,just joking

well yes this is part of it i said that in the other thread. But that's sorta like discrediting what the game can do... I mean, yeah, it's Ness... but it's my version of Ness that came to life. It's this aspect that makes it so joyful. Like one dude said in the other thread, people are sorta wrongly discrediting Drawn to Life 'cause it has only standard and unoriginal platforming, but it is fun enough it's just that the creation aspect makes everything a joy to travel through. What is the game gonna have me create next, exactly? It is this compelling idea that makes it rise above.

Pyramid Head saves the town!!

I'm enjoying myself.

The best thing about the way they implemented the drawing is that you can go back and redraw anything, with no penalty. You can even do it all from one central location instead of having to find it in the level again. If I don't feel like spending 20 minutes drawing a boat or whatever to get through a level, I can flood-fill it and go back later when I have a good idea.

the year 20XX said:
Pyramid Head saves the town!!

I'm enjoying myself.

The best thing about the way they implemented the drawing is that you can go back and redraw anything, with no penalty. You can even do it all from one central location instead of having to find it in the level again. If I don't feel like spending 20 minutes drawing a boat or whatever to get through a level, I can flood-fill it and go back later when I have a good idea.

Yeah, for me coloring vehicles isn't as much fun as drawing them, so I tend to skip through these portions.

Teasel

Amir0x said:
well yes this is part of it i said that in the other thread. But that's sorta like discrediting what the game can do... I mean, yeah, it's Ness... but it's my version of Ness that came to life. It's this aspect that makes it so joyful. Like one dude said in the other thread, people are sorta wrongly discrediting Drawn to Life 'cause it has only standard and unoriginal platforming, but it is fun enough it's just that the creation aspect makes everything a joy to travel through. What is the game gonna have me create next, exactly? It is this compelling idea that makes it rise above.
you should definitely try Graffiti Kingdom

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Blablurn said:
To me its a good 6/10.
NIce Ideas but average gameplay. Its fun, but its no 7 (Super Princess Peach is a 7 ;) )

I think if you keep playing you'll find that picks up. There are some great platforming mechanics in worlds 3 and 4, and some surprisingly poignant plot moments in the last half of the game.

Fighting enemies is also more enjoyable when you buy a few of the special moves.

OgnodoD

I'll be picking this up no matter what, but just how much control does one have in this game? Can I draw Scrooge McDuck (and his enemies) and recreate part of the city of Duckburg?

Amir0x

Banned
OgnodoD said:
I'll be picking this up no matter what, but just how much control does one have in this game? Can I draw Scrooge McDuck (and his enemies) and recreate part of the city of Duckburg?

haha no they don't quite go that far. The town is pretty much built already, although they allow you to create individualized pieces like Banya stalks and signs and the sun.

You can drawn Scrooge McDuck and such, along with a whole host of Scrooge McDuck related things as the game progresses, but they don't quite go to the "design every last aspect and bring it to life" level. That would be a lot of work too i bet

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amir0x said:
haha no they don't quite go that far. The town is pretty much built already, although they allow you to create individualized pieces like Banya stalks and signs and the sun.

You can drawn Scrooge McDuck and such, along with a whole host of Scrooge McDuck related things as the game progresses, but they don't quite go to the "design every last aspect and bring it to life" level. That would be a lot of work too i bet

You do actually get to draw a whole lot of town things as you go on the game. Village spoilers in rough order from beginning to end of village:

Sign for restaurant
Name village
Draw "banya stalk" crop and place on map
Sun
Raincloud
Stars (3 constellations worth)
Moon
Beach toys; colour in a parasol and draw a beach-ball-shaped thing
Coconut trees on the secret beach and coconuts to go on them
Colour in Observatory
Statue of yourself, drawn from scratch
"Magic berries"
Colour in Lighthouse

So really you have control over the appearance of two buildings. The
Lighthouse
is shaped so that you could probably do Scrooge McDuck's moneybank.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Drinky Crow said:
can i draw giant hopping spurting penises

Not spurting, but yes your character can be a walking cock and balls that fires round white blobs out of a cock gun while riding on a whale-shaped cock and bouncing on springy cocks. If you're in to that kind of thing.

Ponn

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
can i draw giant hopping spurting penises

You're too late, many many people did that in that PS2 game, or was it Gamecube, Pengel or something. I'm tired and just got beat up by a King Poo.

The M.O.B

I was really interested in this game ever since THQ stated they were publishing it, I gotta get around to picking this up. Gotta get some extra money though.

Stumpokapow said:
Not spurting, but yes your character can be a walking cock and balls that fires round white blobs out of a cock gun while riding on a whale-shaped cock and bouncing on springy cocks. If you're in to that kind of thing.

+

Oneself said:
This thread is useless without pics.

+ ????

= Profit?

Avrum

I will say only this:

The game hits complete awesome when you "create" a certain new mode of transportation as well as a new weapon.

For a game many reviews have stated is short I've been at it since the game came out putting in nearly an hour or more each sitting. But I guess a lot of the time goes towards customization and creation too.

Amir0x

Banned
Avrum said:
I will say only this:

The game hits complete awesome when you "create" a certain new mode of transportation as well as a new weapon.

For a game many reviews have stated is short I've been at it since the game came out putting in nearly an hour or more each sitting. But I guess a lot of the time goes towards customization and creation too.

I imagine if you put no effort at all into the creations, you'd beat the game in no time at all. But I have spent nearly an hour on a single creation before!

Avrum

Amir0x said:
I imagine if you put no effort at all into the creations, you'd beat the game in no time at all. But I have spent nearly an hour on a single creation before!

True. I tend to spend time with my creations throughout the game which definitely pads how long I'm involved with each world or event. I think I spent half an hour trying to make my first weapon look like the Klobb from Goldeneye. :lol

ITA84

I got some strong "Actraiser" vibes from this game (the creator who helps villagers and influences town growth, the increasing population, the side-scrolling levels); it would have been nice if they had given the player a bit more freedom in some ways, but I understand that the game is meant for everyone to enjoy. Still, I think they should have canned all those messages telling you what to do, and maybe refined some parts (like how some of the townsfolk have nothing to say at times).

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Jackson, let me ask you something.

Did you make the snowball gun knowing that the brevy of us immature idiots would draw a penis gun? Cuz I'm splitting my sides every time i shoot killer splooge at the baddies. I can't see how that would not be on purpose.

I'd post a picture of my cock monster "WangKing" but I don't have a camera at the moment.

Amir0x

Banned
This game has so many opportunities to totally just pour on the illicit dick and shit jokes. If you're so inclined, I'm taking my first run through a little "serious" in terms of trying to make shit up creatively with Earthbound.

I named the cooking place "Poo's Party Palace". *tee hee*

Jackson

Amir0x said:
i have a camera, but it takes really shitty pictures of the DS screen

I wanna see anyway :) I love Earthbound, friend and I bought it the day it came out back in Jr High, and played it through... was awesome...

So show me the ness!

Amir0x

Banned
Jackson said:
I wanna see anyway :) I love Earthbound, friend and I bought it the day it came out back in Jr High, and played it through... was awesome...

So show me the ness!

Alright, I promise to take some pictures of it.

By the way, I just wrote a pretty glowing review of Drawn to Life for the website I write for, so I'll send you a link when it's up. You might like to see it :)

Rlan

I saw this when I went bargain hunting. They give them out for free at the Salvos. It's filled with "god loves you" things, which was weird considering it's about Creation :lol

But hey, you got the front cover!

Jackson

Amir0x said:
By the way, I just wrote a pretty glowing review of Drawn to Life for the website I write for, so I'll send you a link when it's up. You might like to see it :)

Can't wait to see it man :D

Rlan said:
I saw this when I went bargain hunting. They give them out for free at the Salvos. It's filled with "god loves you" things, which was weird considering it's about Creation :lol

But hey, you got the front cover!

lol that's pretty awesome... I know THQ AU is really big on our game, so we're hyped...

0OoO0

Jackson, who is responsible for the text? I notice some spelling mistakes such as 'recieve' and 'heros' :lol

Jackson

0OoO0 said:
Jackson, who is responsible for the text? I notice some spelling mistakes such as 'recieve' and 'heros' :lol

:lol you! the player, for noticing... it's like a bazllion lines of text or something and 5 languages... stuff slips thru the cracks... :lol tons of people qa and review it, but it still happens

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I bought it the other day for my brother but now I'm starting to get that itch... I wanna play it myself :)

I think I'll hit Play Asia (many thanks to RIan for the heads up) for a copy of my own...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Picked this up from TRU as one of my B2G1F freebies. It came with an 'exclusive code to unlock new alien templates'.

In case it hasn't yet been posted, the code is:
Hold the L button while in Draw Mode and press X, Y, B, A, A.

Cheers.

Couldn't find anywhere that actually had any idea of the bonus stuff THQ AU were supposed to include with the game, not even Target, who were the ones that originally advertised it. Oh well, I still bought the game anyway. :] Bloody fantastic so far, I've created Captain Falcon as my character. He looks so hilariously awesome. I don't know if my dodgy camera would be able to pick up the DS screen, but I might try take a photo later!

I'd totally get this game if I could draw even halfway decently. I wouldn't even be able to recognize the character I made.

Top Bottom