• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 3 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Damn. It seems like even when a decent horror movie does make it on Netflix, it wont last more than a few weeks so you have to watch it ASAP (e.g. The Descent, Insidious, Sinister).

Honestly, I beat this horse every time Netflix is brought up (even more so when the content is talked about), but invest in a Unblock (or a VPN). You will gain access to so many of the other Netflix Regions that do have those movies. Everything I have seen for this thread, has been in Netflix Canada.

At some point I hope to jump to Netflix Sweden to watch Descent 2. Netflix Brazil to watch Psycho. Netflix UK to watch Army of Darkness. Netflix Mexico for A Nightmare on Elm Street. List goes on and on.

yami4ct

October 8: Creepshow (Film 7)

215px-CreepshowPoster.jpg
If there's one thing I've figured out in my short time really getting into horror films, it's that I love anthology projects. The fact that this film existed and I had never seen it surprised me, so I was really excited to give it a go. Overall, it was alright. There's a couple amazing shorts, 1 bad one and a couple more that are just kind of boring/OK. The main problem with this film is its complete lack of subtlety. Every one of the shorts goes right for the most direct, unambiguous and straight forward story possible. They show the creatures when it would be scarier not to. There's a couple shorts where it would've been great to leave it open ended whether the events happened or a psychological invention of the characters in them, yet they go for the direct monster approach every time. It gets boring after a while.

Still, film has a cool style to it. I really enjoyed it, even if it really wasn't all that scary. I don't think the film pulled off a single one of its scares to me, mainly because it's so obvious they're coming. It's a worthwhile watch for the couple really good shorts, but overall doesn't match up to the newer, smarter anthology films we've seen lately.

The last thing I'll say is that I love the design of The Creep. He's got a great look and the puppet for him at the beginning was probably the scariest part of the whole film. It's a shame they didn't find more ways to use him.

7/10

WorldStar

Banned
might as well try to catch up my list a little...

Day 6 (Oct 6) - Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

1015-poster.jpg

I liked this one. A lot. This flick is made for horror movie geeks.

I was hooked within the first 5 minutes of the movie. Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon does a wonderful job of deconstructing modern horror (it even manages to throw in some pretty awesome cameos). It's also funny as hell, I was laughing for a good portion of the film.

I highly recommend this one. If you are a horror buff, this is a must watch.

8/10

White Man

Honestly, I beat this horse every time Netflix is brought up (even more so when the content is talked about), but invest in a Unblock (or a VPN). You will gain access to so many of the other Netflix Regions that do have those movies. Everything I have seen for this thread, has been in Netflix Canada.

At some point I hope to jump to Netflix Sweden to watch Descent 2. Netflix Brazil to watch Psycho. Netflix UK to watch Army of Darkness. Netflix Mexico for A Nightmare on Elm Street. List goes on and on.

You're tempting me. Do you know if there's a site or source that will give you an idea of what's in the library of different countries?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
You're tempting me. Do you know if there's a site or source that will give you an idea of what's in the library of different countries?

I use this site to search for movies/shows (for shows, switch the tabs). If it is available somewhere, they will tell you what region and I usually (try to) post when new (good/great) movies go up in the different regions in the Netflix thread.

Edit- This site for when stuff gets added. Different region links on the right side.

Edit 2- A word of caution though, when jumping to these other places, they have forced subtitles (English or otherwise) on. Doesn't bother me, but I know it does for some people. Go to Unblock.com and they have a free week trial.

Ridley327

They didn't have everything, but they did contribute a good amount of classics.

I think the only stuff that was missing was the stuff that Anchor Bay had at the time, which would have been the non-Animal Trilogy Argento stuff. I don't think they had everything all up at once at any given time, since I know the last blast of stuff they had on there were the giallo pictures like Don't Torture a Duckling, Short Night of the Glass Dolls, and whatnot, but the time they spent on Netflix was pretty well encompassing.

Surely, without them on Netflix, I would have never been introduced to Fulci.

7. House (1977)
house2z0r0v.gif

This Japanese film is great, a lot of genre clashing but otherwise I loved it. The main cast of school girls are Gorgeous, Fantasy, Prof, Melody, Kung Fu, Mac and Sweet. These are their (nick)names throughout the film and are all unique in character. Most of the film centers around Gorgeous, disappointed that her father plans to remarry, she invites herself and friends to her aunts house who's lives in a mansion all alone. Once they arrive her friends start to disappear one by one. One scene in particular
the piano scene,
was freaking amazing, the rest of the movie was great as well but that scene will stay with me for awhile. I highly recommend checking this film out.

I'm having a bit of a moral dilemma with my list. I just finished off Fulci's A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (full review coming tomorrow) and I'm torn if I should keep in in my list or not.

While it is a giallo, it doesn't follow the typical "masked murderer picking off a bunch of women" formula like the others I've watched. This is the case of a single murder and is much more of a typical mystery/thriller than a horror movie.

I checked IMDd's entry and sure enough, under genre it's not listed as horror. Same with What Have You Done to Solange? and Don't Torture a Duckling which I also plan to watch this week as I've devoted the whole week to gialli.

If I take them out and replace them with something else then that pretty much ruins my giallo week and I've lost today. Any opinions? Should I keep Lizard and watch Solange and Duckling?

3. Elvira Mistress of the Dark

Not necessarily scary but has horror elements, I gave this movie a try on a whim. It surprised me, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Found myself liking the combination of comedy and horror. Would recommend. 4/5

I love that movie. Part of it is nostalgia because I saw it a few times growing up and part of it is because Elvira is awesome and I love her in everything so I don't know if it'd say it's actually a good film (it probably isn't) but man, do I enjoy it. Might have to do a rewatch next year.

She did followup called Elvira's Haunted Hills but I haven't seen that. Might have to see if I can dig it up.

It´s weird that it took me so long to watch on of the Creepshows because I love horror anthologies. I was kind to start with the first one but it seems that it isn´t on Netflix.
The 3 stories were decent, "The Hitch-hiker" was the best but I was a bit disturbed by something on "The Raft".
Randy was supposed to be a decent guy but
he almost rapes Laverne while she is sleeping. She didn´t seem to have much interest in him and he just starts to undress her on the raft without any apparent reason. That scene was really weird.

I read the Stephen King's short story for the Raft when I was a kid and I had no idea it was made into a movie until a few years ago. I grabbed the DVD and man, while it was okay, it lost all the character detail the short story had. That's hardly surprising in an anthology movie but if you're interested in knowing why a character did what he did, you may want to check out the story. I can't really go into detail because it was so long ago and my memory is fuzzy, but I'm pretty sure your answer is there.

Thread needs more Thankskilling. Lol

I have that waiting to be watched too. Maybe next year I'll do a holiday themed week because I have ThanksKilling and the Silent Night, Deadly Night sequels to watch.

kaiju

Day 7: Critters 2: The Main Course (1988)

45804912.jpg

I enjoyed this sequel better than the first Critters movie. The special effects improved, and the Critters had more personality to them. I expected the Bounty Hunters to come in and just lay waste to the Critters, but this time around the Crites had some surprises in store. There was more than enough bad acting, belching hand-puppets and alien tits to keep me entertained throughout.

Ridley327

Damn, was there never a good cover or poster for this film, or something?

WEEK TWO - GROWING PAINS
October 8, part 1

A film not afraid to play with classic werewolf conventions, Ginger Snaps could have been successful based on that alone. Removing the werewolf from myth and placing it into the 21st century, where it's a sickness like any other with symptoms and cures, the film has a lot of fun coming up with ways of defying your expectations. But Ginger Snaps has a much better idea in its mind than just having one of the classic monsters wake up in today's world, as it filtered through the perspective of its main characters, two sisters who love each other so dearly that even a little lycanthropy-assisted turmoil can't make them forget how much they mean to each other.

Emily Perkins and Katherine Isabelle star as Brigitte and Ginger, two of the most morbidly-obsessed young women this side of Lyida Deetz. These are the kind of girls who, for fun, stage death photos and imagine which one would be the best way to go out, as they've sworn themselves to a suicide pact that might have been only half-joking. Even early on, the film effortlessly makes you believe that these two have 15 years of history with one another, as Perkins and Isabelle dive headfirst into the roles with great writing to help them out. As things take a turn for the unfortunate for Ginger, their relationship is put to the test. Unnatural changes coincide with ones far more natural to supercharge Ginger's hormones, and while hardly subtle about it, the movie does get a lot of mileage out of Ginger's onset of puberty, including one of the most disgusting and hilarious descriptions of menstruation that I know I've ever heard. Meanwhile, Brigitte immediately recognizes the danger that everyone is in, and does everything in her power to stop Ginger from herself. It's that kind of devotion, as rebuffed as it is by Ginger, struggling with what she is to become and what she is supposed to be, that really sets it apart from more traditional takes on the material. But if one convention of werewolf must remain, it is tragedy, and even without the looming threat of Ginger's transformation becoming permanent, the film offers up a painful, tender look at a sisterly relationship that was perhaps never meant to last, one way or the other, and that sense of melancholy is where the film's deepest strength lies.

Far less effective are, well, anything other than Brigitte and Ginger, including a somewhat tone-deaf attempt at broader humor in the role of the mother, played by Mimi Rogers, but the films spends more time with the sisters than it does not, meaning that such transgressions are easily forgettable. Subplots do drag the film's pacing a bit, but does little to dull the effectiveness of the core relationship. I could probably go on about stuff that should bring the film down, but I keep going back to what makes it work so well, which says a lot about how well it does it. If the film isn't an outright masterwork of the werewolf subgenre, it is one of its strongest entries, and it is certainly one of its most unique.

October 8, part 2

How does one make a sequel to film that ended so emotionally like Ginger Snaps? Story-wise, it's not hard, as there's plenty to spin into a new tale, but how does someone begin to tell another tale like it? It's impossible, for more reasons that the plainly obvious, to make a story just like Ginger Snaps, so the filmmakers decided to tell an entirely different one, one with plenty of ties to the original, but seeking out a far different, trickier approach that while it does not have the emotional payoff that the original has, manages to find its own surprising pleasures.

Emily Perkins returns as a more sullen, remote Brigitte, who has a lot on her mind, including the immediate concern that the werewolf antidote may in fact prolongs the inevitable, and circumstances place her in drug rehab, away from the one thing that's been preventing her from the same fate as her sister, Ginger (who does return, albeit in a different capacity; less effective than I was hoping, but Katherine Isabelle and Perkins still make a great team). At the clinic, she meets all sorts of new people; some, well-meaning; some, sleazy; but none quite as hard to get a handle on as Ghost (Tatiana Maslany). Her loopy, erratic behavior is equal parts off-putting and endearing, as Maslany takes a tricky part and makes it work, giving the film a fun, unpredictable element that never quite goes where you think it will. That unpredictability is what helps keep the film fresh, and it's pacing is surprisingly brisk as a result of it. However, as a result of the faster pacing, it has a bit of an issue of getting to the finish line a little too soon, and the last half hour of the film strains to justify the remaining runtime. And just like the original film, it offers up a large supporting cast that doesn't get a whole lot to do, but Brigitte and Ghost are no Brigitte and Ginger, and it sticks out just a little bit more that there's a lot of dead weight. If any aspect of the film is unquestionably bad, however, it's definitely the soundtrack, which often comes across as bad Akira Yamaoka outtakes.

The film is still a pleasant surprise, however: with most horror sequels content to being more of the same, the ballsy nature of the story of Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed ensures that, much like its predecessor, it has little to compare to, and the strong performances of its leads do a lot to help fill in the rest of the foundation. Unnecessary, perhaps, but it certainly made the most out of it.

October 9 preview: We turn away from sisters to brothers. Frailty finds two boys between a rock and a hard place: disobeying their father gets them punished, but obeying him may lead to far more troubling matters.

day 08. movie 07. the shrine
shrinewboh0.gif

with such a lean run-time of 80 minutes, this movie manages to feel very bloated. if you had told me this was a directorial debut for a film student fresh out of college, i'd believe you. crammed with shots of characters doing every. single. mundane. insignificant. task. that. arrest. the. action. like. a. bad. high school. stage. production, this film isn't slow burn nearly as much as "no-burn". editors have jobs for a reason.

(with the sole exception of aaron 'no not the one who played iceman' ashmore) characters act like stock extras from a Syfy show that's about 2 straight weeks of shit ratings away from cancellation. the lead female protagonist has about as much passion as a weekend telemarketer, and her sidekick/co-worker has the emotional range of a paper bag. nobody's decisions in this make any sense whatsoever up until, quite literally, the last 15 minutes. this is also not coincidentally, the only enjoyable part of the entire film. the production value about matches it's "made for TV" level of sophistication.

to me, the shrine is a perfect example of what i find so annoying about modern horror films. you spend anywhere from 50-75% of your film establishing characters, motive, the setting, and a "tone" for the film that you upend on it's ass for the last white-knuckled 30 minutes of what is supposed to be "the horror part" of your horror film. except that most horror filmmakers who adopt this approach aren't up to the task of creating characters you empathize or identify with, carefully sewing in foreshadowing (as opposed to beating you over the head with FORESHADOWING) to the unfolding narrative, populating their film with believable and intelligent people or you know, actually have something horrific in your horror film. typically it's 50 minutes of 20-somethings making painfully stupid decisions in a place nobody in their right mind would go, and predictably there's a lot of blood, yelling, and panicked running until the credits roll. it's only in this does the shrine have any success. the last 15 minutes really harkens back to classics like the exorcist and the evil dead. except that you have to sit through an hour of poorly edited NOTHING to get there.

you could have easily edited this film down a tightly written and taut (but still poorly acted) 20-minute entry in an anthology. as it is now, it's two good ideas spread across 20 bad ones and almost every other aspect of the film suffers for it. the mystery around what's going on in the backwoods Polish village (which by the way, really? are you under the impression Poland has remained the same since the Third Reich?) is marginally interesting, but i wouldn't trust the filmmakers with fleshing it out in a believable or compelling way anyhow, so it's completely vague nature was fine with me.

oh, and if you're going to have your film consist roughly of about 30% of polish dialogue, providing no subtitles is really a pain in the ass -- not immersive -- especially when you're filling your movie with long meaningful shots of characters delivering what is probably expository or plot-relevant dialogue.

i'm going to have to pull an emergency switch here and watch something like vacancy or black christmas soon. this string of half-assed no-scare films is really grinding my gears.

★☆☆☆☆
good for: a lesson in how NOT to edit a film (that is to say quite literally, no use of editing was seemingly applied to this film), the last 15 minutes
bad for: anything else.

GhaleonEB

I usually work until about 5:00 each week day, but worked straight through until, well, right now (midnight), which kinda makes it hard to watch a movie. I sandbagged by starting a couple days early, but I'll try to make up for it this weekend anyways.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
8. The Innkeepers

Ti West's follow up to The House of the Devil is handled with a more careful hand and a more interesting location, but ends up feeling less scary in the end. Speaking of the end, I found it somewhat confusing. The film tipped too far into mysteriousness to the detriment of being understandable. Still, I want more horror movies like this. The "nothing happening for most of the movie" doesn't bother me at all if it's done well, and Ti West knows how to handle it well.

OcShmsb.png

WorldStar

Banned
8. The Innkeepers

Ti West's follow up to The House of the Devil is handled with a more careful hand and a more interesting location, but ends up feeling less scary in the end. Speaking of the end, I found it somewhat confusing. The film tipped too far into mysteriousness to the detriment of being understandable. Still, I want more horror movies like this. The "nothing happening for most of the movie" doesn't bother me at all if it's done well, and Ti West knows how to handle it well.

Loved Sara Paxton in this movie.

Innkeepers_BD_still_1335390411.jpg

I've described it before as one of the cutest horror movies I've ever seen. Prior to watching The Innkeepers, I never imagined 'cute' was a word I'd end up using when describing a horror movie. Hope to see her in more horror in the future.

I do agree that the ending sucked. I've seen the movie multiple times and I can assure you that you that the confusion is no fault of your own. The last ~20 minutes or so of the film are just retarded. I've actually read some interpretations of the ending online that are pretty out there, but I honestly think they give the film too much credit. It was just a poorly written ending.

So my Dream Home DVD was fucked for some reason, I quickly popped in one I had on the backlist for years, John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness. This movie had a lot of potential, I love when science clashes with age old mysticism, great soundtrack too... but the incredibly weak and forgetteable characters really drag the movie down.

I did have a super cool poster!

JEhG1oE.jpg

Still not sure what I'm going to select for tonight. I'm thinking something non-English. Maybe Maléfique, anyone seen that? I also have some Tomie movies lying around (only ever saw the first).

qFYb9cP.jpg

I liked it. It felt a little like a throwback to the original until they brought it full circle and tied it in with the previous films. Every character was awful so I was rooting for Chucky to kill them all. Not sure why this didn't get a theatrical release and there's definitely more Chucky on the way.

7/10.

forrest

formerly nacire
After watching Juon The Grudge, I'm convinced I need to make my wife watch it, then secretly change her ringtone to that throaty sound effect!

Eklipsis

This is the End

this-is-the-end-too_zps74431dcc.jpg

Went with a horror/comedy which was more comedy than anything else. Absolutely loved this movie. This one I rented but intend on buying..highly recommend.

Red State

redstate_zpse319bf45.jpg

Not at all what I was expecting. Just when I thought this movie was going to turn into a horror flick it came to an end....they could have skipped a lot of the beginning and went another way towards the end and made it into a real "horror" film. I'd watch again but its not really a horror film imo

MattyH

Day 9 - The Exorcist (the version you've never seen) i would be watching the original cut but ive misplaced the dvd so im watching the "spider walk" version
the-exorcist-2000-movie-poster.jpg

poster_severance.jpg

8. Severance (Netflix Instant)

I had thought that this was a horror comedy, probably because of statements like the pull quote from Total Film that compared Severance to Shaun of the Dead. It's a good enough horror comedy, but it doesn't reach the heights of Shaun of the Dead. It has its funny moments; some seem like it's trying too hard to be funny, like when one of the characters gets high from ingesting mushrooms or when one of them triggers a smoke alarm on a chartered bus because he lit a joint, but others work, like the quip that closes the film. But that line only works because we've spent time with the characters and seen their trials. The laugh is as cathartic as it is funny. The examples that don't work are hampered by the fact that they also serve as characterization, which paints the characters with pretty cliched brushes.

I haven't read much about the film, but I would be surprised if no one else noted how unsubtle the film's commentary on the special relationship between the United Kingdom and the United States, particularly in the War on Terror, is. We have British merchants selling American weapons throughout the world, specifically in this film Eastern Europe. The antagonists are
crazy Eastern Europeans looking for vengeance
against the protagonists, who are a collection of Canadians and Brits. The president of the munitions company, Palisade Defence, is named George, and he's a loud, hard-partying American who
packs a missile launcher to a corporate retreat
. Not surprisingly, George the American president
inflicts a lot of collateral damage he tries to use said missile launcher against the antagonists who have terrorized the protagonists throughout the film
. And as if there weren't signs, the film ends with a cover of
"We'll Meet Again,"
which played during the ending of Dr. Strangelove.

Weapon dealers getting their comeuppance reminded me of Iron Man, while the image of a bunch of people who have no choice but to be stuck with each other for hours at a time being transported to their doom reminded me of Battle Royale.

The film is mixed on how it wants to deal with sexual and power dynamics. You can argue that the male middle manager, Richard, dooms the group because he insists that the lodge that they found, where the attacks on his employees started, was the actual lodge owned by their company. Both female characters point out that this lodge cannot be the correct lodge, but he shuts down any dissent by threatening to fire anyone who tries to leave. Later, one of the antagonists threatens to rape the female protagonist. We already know that these guys are evil; they've systematically and viciously killed the other protagonists over the course of the film. Implying that they're capable and willing of rape doesn't enhance the danger that they pose to the protagonists at all, especially since they didn't threaten to rape the other female characters that they had captured. I can guess that they had to position the protagonist and antagonist in such a way to allow the protagonist to fight back, but then the use of the threat of rape is even more lazy and unnecessary.

The film's pace of escalation is pretty steep. For almost half the film, it's a pretty limp office comedy. And then the violence explodes out of nowhere. The poster's misleading; it makes the film seem bloodier than it actually is. The goriest scene doesn't feature the antagonists at all, but it's a remarkably uncomfortable scene to experience.

#7 [REC] (2007) Oct 7

First film this week that instilled any semblance of fear, even though not for long. Kinda feels like a racist flick closer to the middle and the build up is rather long overall. Totally lost immersion
when little girl started chewing mother's face
- just looked ridiculous.

lFNMA3J.jpg

This is up on Netflix and this seems to be a lot of lists this year so I decided to give it a go. I thought the film was ok. A lot of hit or miss in some of the storylines and the last one was the weakest IMO. The first story with Lily was pretty intense and the "reality" gimmick worked well to some degree. Little long though.

Is the sequel better?

5/10

haikira

Just gave my collection a bump, as I'm mostly trying to stick to only stuff I've never seen. Except for Day of the Dead (one of my favourites), I haven't see any of these films, to my disgrace.

Think I'm going to watch one of the Asian films tonight.
God help me!

img_2394-copyc3umz.jpg

Loved Dale and Tucker vs. Evil- the positive feedback here got me to watch it on Netflix yesterday. The gore was well done and the movie was pretty damn funny. 8/10 for me.

Reeks

*Title* = First time watching
20137ms7g.jpg

01 American Mary 3/5
02 Evil Dead (2013) 3/5
03 Session 9 4/5
04 V/H/S 3/5
05 Hellbound: Hellraiser II 4/5

06 Mama 4/5
Solid horror with good and well paced scares, good performances and it has heart. It's a little by the numbers and the effects are hit and miss on a technical level. Not perfect, but I definitely enjoyed it.

I kinf of liked American Mary, too. It was uneven and felt kind of like a lifetime movie... but there was something about her performance that really kept me invested.

Oh I hated Mama. Director forgot to leave a little to the imagination - they showed her WAY to much.. and other things were completely pointless...
why the cherries?

I think I'm the only person I know who did not like Ginger Snaps at all.

You need to watch:

SuspiriaItaly.jpg

So I am going to see this in 11 days with Goblin playing live.... eat your heart out, fellow Argento fan

Jal

Just gave my collection a bump, as I'm mostly trying to stick to only stuff I've never seen. Except for Day of the Dead (one of my favourites), I haven't see any of these films, to my disgrace.

Think I'm going to watch one of the Asian films tonight.
God help me!

img_2394-copyc3umz.jpg

Make sure to turn the sound up when watching The Eye, the score is excellent.

haikira

Oh I hated Mama. Director forgot to leave a little to the imagination - they showed her WAY to much.. and other things were completely pointless...
why the cherries?

Yeah. I think in retrospect, because it was a pleasant surprise, I was maybe a little over generous. I definitely agree they left too little to the imagination and I also don't think the budget was up to it also. Still thought it was worth watching though.

5. Don't be Afraid of the Dark (2010)

MV5BMTYwMDk4ODU0OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDY2NDE0Ng@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

A disappointing Del Toro penned film, it's a fantasy horror with some very typical scare scenes and contains very unlikable characters. Guy Pearce in particular. The scare factor is lost quite early on once you see glimpses of the creatures, its not because they look very goofy looking (reminded me of Gremlins/Critters) but because the suspense wasn't built up long enough and creature reveal was too soon.
Could have been very good what with the premise and the screenplay by Del Toro but ultimately disappointing.

Overall: 5/10

I am not having much luck with my movie selection this year!

Linkhero1

I have a question I've probably asked before but I just would like some reassurance. Is [REC] 2 worth watching if I enjoyed [REC]?

Last nights film was Nightmare on Elm Street 2. I haven't seen a Freddy movie for a while but I could have sworn they were more enjoyable than this. I was bored throughout the entire movie due to how easy it was to figure out what was going to happen next. I hope the other Freddy movies aren't like this because I'm disappointed so far.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
REC 2 is definitely worth watching. It continues immediately where REC 1 finished and although it may not satisfy as deeply, it has some good moments. REC 3 is completely different, with a touch of comedy so it doesn't fit the tone of the first two. However if you take it as it's own movie it's quite enjoyable. Think Evil Dead 2 to Evil Dead 1.

I really need to contribute. I'll just blog last night's and tonights movies and pop back in.

Jal

9. Monster In The Closet (1986)

CFkqFiD.jpg

Troma movie in the style of 50s/60s monster movies, not sure how to rate this, it does it's job well as a B movie i guess.

B/10

10. Lets Scare Jesica To Death (1971)

QKNJtKm.jpg

This tries really hard to be un-settling and eerie but i just found most of it annoying, the acting isn't great (the lead actress i didn't like at all), the script seems non-existent in some scenes and the score made we want to turn off.

3/10

Linkhero1

I may be viewing it with others who haven't seen the first [REC]. Since it continues after the first movie, is it necessary to have watched the first movie prior? I might have to rewatch so that the others aren't lost during the movie.

Moofers

I started up V/H/S 2 today. I'll be watching it over my lunch breaks at work the next day or two. This movie and its predecessor are a handful of short stories strung together to make a movie. I thought the first one wasn't bad for its shortcomings and had some really cool ideas.

What a piece of shit this one has been so far. I'm 2 stories in and its been terrible. The acting and writing are so bad it boggles the mind how anyone would think this was any good. I love tits, okay? Like, A LOT. But the way they forced a pair of tits into the first story was pretty laughably bad. It was seriously like "Hey! I'm completely out of nowhere but here are my tits!"

Acting is just sooooo bad. I'm going to continue with the rest of the stories, but what I've seen so far seems like the first attempt by an aspiring writer/director who just got a Mac and a YouTube account.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I think all of the Nightmare movies have their own distinct charm and I can watch any of them and enjoy it. I think New Nightmare is the best "film" of the group, though. It really depends on the day which one I like the most. I love 2 and 5. I think I watched 3 too many times. I really like 4, but the scene where Rick is in the elevator ALWAYS feels like I've never seen it, even though I have many times and have the same thought every time I've seen. It's the weirdest thing.

I don't really enjoy Freddy's Dead or the remake on any level, but yeah.

Linkhero1

It does a tiny recap, but I'd treat your friends to the first film before plunging into the second.

Will do.

@Moofers Yeah the acting is pretty horrendous but I thought it was quite enjoyable for what it was. The third short story is probably my favorite one. Aside from some minor issues it was pretty good.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Aye the third short makes V/H/S 2 worth it. The rest are pretty poor, or I should say had good ideas but bad execution.

Gameboy415

10/01 - 1. The Relic (Blu-Ray)
10/02 - 2. Ghoulies (Netflix)
10/03 - 3. Nightmares (1983) (YouTube)
10/04 - 4. The Amityville Horror (2005) (DVD)
10/05 - 5. Battledogs (Netflix)
10/06 - 6. Scream 4 (Netflix)
10/07 - 7. Satan's Little Helper (Netflix)

10/08 - 8. Tales From the Crypt Presents: Demon Knight (Netflix)
-I'm a huge fan of the series and holy hell this movie did not disappoint - I loved it! :D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My mom wrote a letter to King (mostly about my dad's ghost story) not long before The Raft was written and got a two-page handwritten response. (That I have at my place.)
He quoted and paraphrased her letter several times in that story and only in that story.

strobogo

Banned
I don't really enjoy Freddy's Dead or the remake on any level, but yeah.

The remake is just so...boring. Just completely uninteresting and had gags that looked worse than a low budget movie from 1984. Of all the horror remakes in the last decade, it was my least favorite. Even less than Zombie's Halloween. At least it tried to do something original at some points. I think it sucked and added a completely missed the point of what made the original interesting, but at least it wasn't dreadfully boring like the Nightmare remake. I didn't see Halloween II, though.

The Curse of Frankenstein:
I liked this more than Horror of Dracula. Cushing is awesome as Frankenstein and I thought the monster's make up was really cool looking. The reveal was awesome. What was most awesome was the lab. It was so colorful and looked like a crazy dude made it himself. I can't say I like it more than Universal's version. My ranking of those two are a lot closer than the Draculas, though.

The Revenge of Frankenstein:
I think this was better than the first, mostly because it was a little more original. But mostly because Frankenstein comes back without changing his appearance at all and goes by Dr. Stein. Then he comes back again at the end with a mustache and as Dr. Frank. The fire scene showcasing how the brain works was pretty cool.

I've really fallen behind. Life just keeps getting in the way.

T3qVtFn.jpg

#3. The Devil Rides Out (October 4)
“I'd rather see you dead than meddling with black magic.”
Christopher Lee does battle with a cult of devil worshipers in this prime slab of Hammer Horror. Directed by Terrence Fisher, and scripted by Richard Matheson, The Devil Rides Out is a breathlessly paced flick filled with wonderful action set-pieces and imbued with a real air of authenticity. While the goat legged antics may be hokum, they feel like they are the product of legitimate research into the black arts. This sense of realism is greatly aided by a rare heroic turn by Christopher Lee. His portrayal of the grim-faced Duc du Richleau commands the screen, never once wavering in his righteousness of his cause. While age hasn't been kind to the film's “special effects”, Fisher's assured direction, and the outstanding supporting cast, more than makes up for the film's short-comings. Years ago, Lee made some noise about remaking this film. The material seems ripe for a modern day special effects extravaganza, but I doubt a modern filmmaker would bring the same type of sophistication and class to their version. The Devil Rides Out is a high water mark for Hammer Films and an absolute treat for Christopher Lee fans.

TAJ

The remake is just so...boring. Just completely uninteresting and had gags that looked worse than a low budget movie from 1984. Of all the horror remakes in the last decade, it was my least favorite. Even less than Zombie's Halloween. At least it tried to do something original at some points. I think it sucked and added a completely missed the point of what made the original interesting, but at least it wasn't dreadfully boring like the Nightmare remake. I didn't see Halloween II, though.

Zombie went full retard on the sequel. It makes the first one (which I sorta liked) look like a shot-for-shot remake by comparison.

8. Cronos (1993)
chronoaqom9.gif

This was an interesting take on the Vampire genre. Guillermo del Toro's first feature film showed a lot of competence in his film making. It didn't feel too much like a horror film, it just had horror elements like the protagonist transformation and some gore, the protagonist was too likable and it never felt like he was any danger. Great film, a must watch for del Toro fans.

October 9th

Film number 19: V/H/S
Tagline: This collection is killer

Opening thoughts: Not generally a big fan of anthologies but this is on Netflix UK so I’ll give it a go.

Closing thoughts: Well this is the first film I’ve watched this month that has genuinely put the shits up me. I haven’t actually finished watching it, and I’m typing this as displacement activity because I don’t want to go back to the Halloween party with the guy dressed up as a nannycam. I have no idea why it’s freaking me out as much as it is. Maybe because it’s gone midnight and everyone else has gone to bed and it’s creepy down here on my own. Right, got to man up and watch the last ten minutes...

dZPpFSo.png

Ok, so that was pretty bloody awesome. Much better than I was expecting. There was a whole bunch of stuff wrong with it of course, but I just found it really enjoyable. Apart from that bloody freaky Halloween party...

Score 8.5 out of 10. I like you.

Watched so far:
October 1 - Wreckage (1/10) Storage (6/10)
October 2 - Absentia (9/10) Uninhabited (3/10)
October 3 - The Fallow Field (7/10)
October 4 - Insidious (6/10) The Devil's Rock (8/10)
October 5 - Seconds Apart (6/10) The Awakening (8/10) When The Lights Went Out (8/10)
October 6 - Lake Mungo (6/10) Cherry Tree Lane (8/10) The Seasoning House (9/10)
October 7 - Bruiser (2/10) Devoured (9.5/10)
October 8 - The Devil's Business (4/10) Session 9 (4/10) Needle (6.5/10)

Top Bottom