• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Will shut off to prevent overheating when high temperatures are detected.

Zabant

Lock if old.

ps4-rlod.jpg

Via Here

A photo has surfaced showing a demo PS4 console overheating and displaying what has been dubbed “the red line of death.” The picture was taken at a PS4 event in Spain and posted by Elotrolado member Homer J. Simpson in his report of the event. He says (translated from Spanish) “it had a red light (where the typical blue LED light) and had a message on the screen saying that the console had a very high temperature. The security case was opened and in two seconds the error message was removed and the light had returned to its normal color.

Thoughts?

I personally think a system that implements shut down when high temperatures are detected is a godsend and a great way to prevent an RROD situation.

Here's hoping it's not a common thing and these guys just fucked up leaving a demo PS4 running in an unventilated perspex box all day.

DBT85

As it should.

I hope that when it does shut down that it saves the game state before doing so though.

HariKari

That's a basic hardware feature, PCs does that too ...

Most every decent smartphone does it. No reason for Sony to skip it. MS should have it too. Part of the problem with the previous gen was people putting the boxes in enclosed spaces with poor circulation. Yeah, the hardware wasn't great, but a little common sense is required on the part of the user.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The security case was opened and in two seconds the error message was removed and the light had returned to its normal color.
Did it just boot back into the game? Because the screen up to tells me it did.

Better question is why are they still using those old heat-traps in the first place? It can't really be an surprise anymore when stuff overheat because of it.

markot

Banned
..... dont let it overheat to begin with?

Oh well, Sony and Msoft churn out shit with no quality control and people keep buying replacements.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Still a rumour for now since that isn't adequate proof of what actually happened. I guess the red LED is a cool touch.

I dunno about the problem stemming from ventilation, at least for people I know. All the guys that I know that had a RROD'd 360 had them in extremely well ventilated locations, aka front and both sides completely exposed with only the back side facing the rear wall of the entertainment center, but with full exposure on the other 3 sides. That's about as good as it gets ventilation wise unless you just sit it on top of a flat desktop or something. I had 3 RRODs even with extremely good ventilation setup. It was just piss-poor, shoddy manufacturing IMHO.

Zabant

Did it just boot back into the game? Because the screen up to tells me it did.

I should assume so since back at the unveling in febuary they were touting the feature of being able to resume your games without having to go through the whole boot process again.

Persona7

Banned
I am pretty sure the 360 had a temperature shut off. It displayed two red lights.

3 red lights was a general hardware error but it typically had to do with the board flexing slightly and the heatsink clamps popping off.

consoul

As someone who had their phat PS3's GPU literally melt down while playing Uncharted 2 in the heat of an Australian summer I welcome this feature.

zon

That it shuts off to prevent damage isn't a big deal. PCs has done that for over a decade now. What I want to know is; how often will this happen with the PS4?

Dinjooh

Oh well, Sony and Msoft churn out shit with no quality control and people keep buying replacements.

*Looks confused at my original PS1, PS2, PS3 and original Xbox still functioning perfectly.*

Oh well, It is pretty darn cold where I live.

Riky

$MSFT
I've invested in a new TV stand with plenty of room and an open back, I'm not worried yet but at least it shuts off to prevent perma damage.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
PS3 has overheating warning too.
Hell, any hardware does.
Original article is fishing for clicks.
Idiots.

SHADES

Care to explain your "Sony and Msoft churn out shit with no quality control and people keep buying replacements" comment"?

Marvel

could never
To be expected. Plus... it's sealed in a plastic box, in Spain.

lol.

That red LED reminds me of KIT from Knightrider.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Not really a new feature, I would expect it.

My PS3 did this the first day I used it.

(I had it rather stupidly placed near the exhaust of a projector)

Top Bottom