• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

I hope Mark Cerny sucks this dudes dick and swallows his cum load. Even better feel good story.

andy2ktfom.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
How is he supposed to do this? by holding on to the receipt? What if he lost it or threw it out? Can he not mail the disc to MS and say "here, look is this genuine or not?"

Read the thread, they went through any possible way to prove it was a legit copy and the dude's story kept changing. I'm pretty sure that one ended badly for the OP. Frank looked into it, he does work for MS after all.

dc89

I bet the moment he turned it on and connected to Live a phone rang in MS HQ.

"Redmond. We have a problem."

You gotta admit though, your post reaked of the "well wait until Sony implements DRM too!" type of shit. Not every company is the same. Not every company would behave the same way.

My perspective was that a temporary ban due to street date being broken to control the message seems like a rational thing for any company to do. You're right, I was making stupid assumptions.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
If they do unban the console on the 22nd, then no big deal.
It would be fairly stupid if they don't.

tbm24

Even I'm strongly considering it... It seems so cold. This guy bought one legally, did he not? Didn't Target just mess up and send it to him early? Guy was nothing but an excited fan from the looks of it, practically loving the system that he bought and wanting to show it off to as many people as would pay attention.

He wasn't doing them any damage other than having fun. It just looks pretty bad, and makes it really hard to want to support the company after that.

It's one thing if he sat at home and just played his Xbox, it's another thing to go online and post just about everything you can, especially information that has an embargo on it. This is a violation of terms MS set regarding their console and information and are well within their rights to block the Xbox from their Xbox live service. It only looks bad if you're looking for something bad. MS isn't going to spend time preparing announcements and agreements with publications to have someone who got a console through an error spoil everything. No business is gonna sit there and throw their hands in the air.

SegaShack

I hope Mark Cerny sucks this dudes dick and swallows his cum load. Even better feel good story.

Best way to do it would be to have Kinect be recording it via Skype call to Kaz while HDMI-in PS4 running Knack is snapped to the side.

Banning someone with no warning who got his console early through no fault of his own.

stop being so purposefully fucking obtuse. You know what I meant.

I don't think it's the idea that he got the console early, it's the fact that he was revealing everything about an unreleased system over the internet that got him banned. If he just played it and maybe posted a few things he would be fine, but he was revealing everything.

I really appreciated the information, and it was fun, however I understand MS don't want eery aspect of their console OS torn apart 2 weeks before release. Servers for certain things might not be active yet. Any inactive server could lead to some bad PR like saying a certain app/feature is broken. The OS and update have to be final though, we are so close to launch.

Troll

Banned
And getting worked up with vitriol just because some fanboys came in and derailed the thread does not make you any better.

I didn't mean to take Cerny's name in vain and I'll be sure to do my Hail Kutaragis before I go to bed but I was just playing off of what the other poster said. It wasn't meant in the way you took it.

wizzbang

Banned
The guy got his console...updated it and can play COD all he wants offline. When the Live is officially up for the rest of the world, he'll probably be allowed back on with his console.

How fucking hard would it be for Microsoft to send the guy a message on Live
"Hi there, this is <X> from Microsoft customer support, sorry to do this to you but we can't have you using the service until launch, we hope you enjoy your Xbox One in single player mode for 13 days and congratulations on choosing Microsoft, sorry and see you soon :)"

That ONE fucking message would show that hey, actual human beings work at Microsoft and it's not all corporate suits and toolbags.
Instead now there's this real tension for this poor guy not knowing if his console is fucked over or not and god knows how many fucking phone calls / whining he'll have to do to get it unbanned, IF it'll be unbanned at all.
Maybe they take 4 fucking days AFTER launch to unban his console so he misses out on launch day?

Who knows - they fucked up though.

Fletcher

"Hi there, this is <X> from Microsoft customer support, sorry to do this to you but we can't have you using the service until launch, we hope you enjoy your Xbox One in single player mode for 13 days and congratulations on choosing Microsoft, sorry and see you soon :)"

That ONE fucking message would show that hey, actual human beings work at Microsoft and it's not all corporate suits and toolbags.
Instead now there's this real tension for this poor guy not knowing if his console is fucked over or not and god knows how many fucking phone calls / whining he'll have to do to get it unbanned, IF it'll be unbanned at all.
Maybe they take 4 fucking days AFTER launch to unban his console so he misses out on launch day?

It's 1am on a Friday.

We have to stop using this, as far as I remember Frank from 343 contacted the dude and tried to work it out and the guy had no way to show he had a legit copy of the game, and his story spiraled out of control from there. It ended poorly for the OP.

i feel like something is fishy in that thread. supposedly the guy couldn't produce a receipt or produced an obviously photoshopped receipt? the thing that was weird to me is he just said "oh i got banned? well that sucks but i guess i'll go buy another xbox 360". you'd think someone would fight that hardcore.... or just provide proof of purchase as was asked for. i don't know all the details though so i might be wrong, that's just what i gathered from skimming the thread.

in this instance, i would hope they unban this guys xbone once 11/22 rolls around. at least he got the update so he can play some games before then!

Pretty much. All MS had to do was send him a message (tweet/xboxlive?) telling him its a tempt ban and I'm sure there'd be no outrage

Steel

Banned
It's one thing if he sat at home and just played his Xbox, it's another thing to go online and post just about everything you can, especially information that has an embargo on it. This is a violation of terms MS set regarding their console and information and are well within their rights to block the Xbox from their Xbox live service. It only looks bad if you're looking for something bad. MS isn't going to spend time preparing announcements and agreements with publications to have someone who got a console through an error spoil everything. No business is gonna sit there and throw their hands in the air.

I'm of the opinion that people need to breathe and tone down the reaction, but what you're saying about embargos is just wrong. There's probably a clause that allows the ban in the new XBL EULA or something, but the stuff about expecting the dude to follow an embargo he has no part in is silly.

tbm24

I'm of the opinion that people need to breathe and tone down the reaction, but what you're saying about embargos is just wrong. There's probably a clause that allows the ban in the new XBL EULA or something, but the stuff about expecting the dude to follow an embargo he has no part in is silly.
He doesn't have to follow it, which he clearly didn't. But MS is still well within their rights to cut him off their online service for leaking information from a retail unit before the street date. Simple as that. If the information has an embargo on it then MS wants it kept that, and they did the most sensible thing they could. At least the lucky guy can still play his games.

hawk2025

He doesn't have to follow it, which he clearly didn't. But MS is still well within their rights to cut him off their online service for leaking information from a retail unit before the street date. Simple as that. If the information has an embargo on it then MS wants it kept that, and they did the most sensible thing they could. At least the lucky guy can still play his games.

I don't think you understand what an embargo is.

Too many tweets in a time period.

Thanks! :)

Scooby

I don't think it's the idea that he got the console early, it's the fact that he was revealing everything about an unreleased system over the internet that got him banned. If he just played it and maybe posted a few things he would be fine, but he was revealing everything.

I really appreciated the information, and it was fun, however I understand MS don't want eery aspect of their console OS torn apart 2 weeks before release. Servers for certain things might not be active yet. Any inactive server could lead to some bad PR like saying a certain app/feature is broken. The OS and update have to be final though, we are so close to launch.

Best answer.

Streaks

Granted, they could've and maybe should've sent a message to him. You're assuming they aren't reaching out to him now or don't plan to at all. With the amount of lol's the was throwing out in his twitter I don't think he's too distraught over it. My problem is with people jumping and acting like this is the wild west and shit. He knew where he was going and people warned him of the threat and he laughed it off. He wanted his 15 seconds of fame and got it. People need to stop jumping to conclusions within 10 seconds of hearing half a story.

liquidtmd

Banned
Make the most of it? MS spotlight him to give impressions, send out good messages to the community, offer him the chance to test out the online services...

NO, BANNED! LOLZ TERMS OF SERVICE VIOLIATION. For what, buying the console early??? Idiots.

B-b-b-but we didn't get chance to have a conversation with our public!

Most of you guys loling at Microsoft don't realize that there might be some things they don't want to be shown to the public yet. It's pretty logical that they would cut off his access if you ask me

A few months early and I'd agree but this thing launches in days

MilkBeard

Got banned? Well, I guess it was a matter of time. This guy was a boon for them but I guess they have their reasons.

Most of you guys loling at Microsoft don't realize that there might be some things they don't want to be shown to the public yet. It's pretty logical that they would cut off his access if you ask me. One of the other guys who got one early said there were unannounced games on there, but he might have been pulling chains on that one.

Either way, everyone got the preview they wanted. I do hope this guy isn't permabanned from the net though.

wizzbang

Banned
It's 1am on a Friday.

That doesn't mean they can't send a simple, polite message with a dash of humour to difuse the situation, instead they completely poured gasoline on the problem.

If someone can make the executive decision to ban, they can make the decision to say "sorry dude, we'll fix you soon though!! :)" SOLVED.

twl

Banned
It's 1am on a Friday.

So? A billion+ dollar company, 2 weeks close to launch of their nextgen console? Why wouldn't someone be available to handle this? This would be worthy of waking someone up or handle with silk-gloves, they know they had a ton of bad press, why ask for more.

Now they have a guy with the first banned xbone on their hand, PR shitstorm incoming regardless of it was the right thing to do or not.

tbm24

I don't think you understand what an embargo is.

Thanks! :)
I have a pretty good idea and I know this guy is not part of that agreement. I'm simply saying if the info has an embargo on it then there's a reason and MS wants to keep as much of that tucked away until they decide when to let that information go. So that's what they did with this guy, cut him ff xbl. I don't see it as unreasonable or a dick thing to do.

iBuzz7S

Banned
Oh yeah, Microsoft are assholes for banning the console. Assholes for protecting years of work from getting out weeks before they want everyone to experience it.

Were you clutching on to pre-order of GTA V when Rockstar were punishing those for releasing pre-release footage?

Blackage

"Positive is relative."
Oh well, kind of a shitty move for Microsoft. I was in the bunch that got the Vita sent 2 weeks prior to launch. The guys at gamestop (Vita came without games or memory cards) were all like "How did you get that?! Can I try it? Man you should not plug it on the internet or Sony might ban you!"
They did not. I posted some pictures about it on some forums, but since other people were making videos on it, I didnt feel the need to do some.

Meh, I don't know how the rest of the forum felt about it, but my reaction to this thread, and this guy going through his new system, enthusiastically exploring every little thing, and genuinely happy he had his system early in all of it's glory was pretty positive.

I was a little jealous he had his console early, and I was smiling for a while knowing this guy got his Next-Gen console and he was happy. Then Microsoft banned his console, and all those warm feelings I had towards the Xbone 180'd faster then they did after E3.

There was NO reason for them to ban this guy from online play. I don't give a shit if their server's aren't 100% ready yet. He bought his console, fair and square from a retailer, it was shipped to his house, he owns it, he broke no rules. He did not sign any NDA, he's not a member of the press, he's just an ordinary person like you or me.

He has every right to jump straight into his system the moment he got it, and experience every aspect of it, not get banned from online by the company he bought it from because a retailer fucked up and the company doesn't feel like it's ready yet.

For fucks sake if it's not ready yet, take the fucking servers down, don't ban the people who are on it, the people on it are your fucking customers. What is WRONG with you Microsoft.

xkramz

The whole Day One and Standard thing is confusing. He gets it weeks before launch and it's not even a day one edition?
Day one console were while supplies last. So first come first serve on pre-orders...when all pre orders have been fulfilled, the standard Xbox one pre orders were up.

Top Bottom