• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind (3DS) Impressions Thread

nynt9

On that day, humanity received a (hopefully not grim) game...

attack_on_titan_the_last_wings_of_mankind_frontcover_large_2CXTc0VKwRoSrUm.jpg

My first OT attempt, be gentle please.

146570d1379521394-attack-on-titan-the-last-wings-of-mankind-1379518322-attack-on-titan-last-wings-mankind-3ds.jpg

Developed by Spike Chunsoft for Nintendo 3DS

Hype material

Official Trailer
Japanese Nintendo Direct Presentation about the game
Theme song: Linked Horizon - Guren no Yumiya

The first official game of the popular anime adaptation of Hajime Isayama's Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) developed by Spike Chunsoft (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity; Zero Escape 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors; Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc / Danganronpa 1-2 Reload). Right now the game is only releasing in Japan on the 3DS, with no worldwide release announced. Note that the 3DS is region locked.

The action game follows Eren Jaeger and the Survey Corps as they defeat Titans. The 3D Manuever Gear aims to replicate the freedom and high-speed movement shown in the anime. Getting eaten by a Titan will result in a mission failure, and if a companion is in trouble, you can save them by cutting of the Titan’s arm. In Story Mode, you can select to play as Eren Jaeger, Mikasa Ackerman, or Armin Arlert. There is also a multiplayer mode, where up to four players can play with customized characters.
- Gematsu

So, the game came out in Japan (it's the 5th of December there) and my copy has shipped and is on the way. In the meantime, GAFfers who live in Japan, have you played this? What are your thoughts?

My copy will arrive in a few days so I'll try to post videos and impressions when I get mine.

FRS-1304.jpg

As per the Gematsu description, the game features a story mode where you get to play as Eren, Armin or Mikasa. There's also a 4 player co-op mode where you can create and customize your own character. Here's a shot I nabbed from the Nintendo Direct showing the character creator:
oS7waEd.png

The game will also feature DLC that lets you play as Levi.
atta03.jpg

Reviews:

Famitsu 8/8/7/7 - 30/40

Fan-recorded Gameplay videos

Playlist of all game including Levi DLC

NOTE: The game will probably be based on the anime, so if you want to talk manga stuff please use the spoiler tag so the people who haven't read the manga don't get spoiled.

belushy

Banned
OH MY GOD, THIS LOOKS SO FUCKING COOL, HOLY SHIEEEEET!!!!!

Perfect first post.

My friend just introduced me to this comic a week or so ago, so I am interested to see if this is good!

If you're interested in it's anime, you can always watch it for free on Crunchyroll. It is pretty good. Only if you like reading subtitles though. I don't think a dub is coming until next year.

nick380

Neo Member
Wow. This is cool. The anime was already one of my favorites and now this? nice! Hoping for a North American release! Will be buying instantly! :)

Mrbob

I actually haven't watched anime in years, but off a recommendation I viewed Attack on Titan and loved it. The concept of maneuver gear seems awesome for a game. Hopefully this doesn't suck.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Please no Totobeni saying this is N64-like shit, I'd like to follow this thread

:p

Roland

I actually haven't watched anime in years, but off a recommendation I viewed Attack on Titan...

Me too, the concept sounds pretty interesting. Then I realized that even after a decade, these teenage anime characters are still the same. Maybe it's a Japanese thing, but it's repeatedly seeing the same character archetypes that really turned me off anime.

bonercop

They should have gone with some kind of cellshading. animu artstyles never look good in regular 3d

Me too, the concept sounds pretty interesting. Then I realized that even after a decade, these teenage anime characters are still the same. Maybe it's a Japanese thing, but it's repeatedly seeing the same character archetypes that really turned me off anime.

the characters in AoT are mostly there to get their faces eaten off, so it's all good.

Perhaps that's because you only see the most popular ones? Within the anime culture there are plenty of diverse and immensely creative anime works that outshine and outclass any other animation being presented at this point.

If you want some recommendations, send me a PM and I'll give you a list of them depending on your tastes.

Kenai

I'm not really sure this anime is a particularly good example of goofy anime teens in their high school golden years :p

Stop watching shounen then.

RMI

Banned

This is true of almost every television show, movie, book, game etc. since the beginning of time.

Screens look nice. Would be interested in the impressions. I love the show.

I actually haven't watched anime in years, but off a recommendation I viewed Attack on Titan and loved it. The concept of maneuver gear seems awesome for a game. Hopefully this doesn't suck.

Actually pulling it off in a game without using QTEs left and right is the hard part though.

Ogawa-san

I kinda liked the anime even though it's a stupid infinite pile of unsolved cliffhangers. But I don't think I can enjoy a game based on it.

I mean, the game will be about going around killing titans, but anyone that watched the anime would expect to kill one, maybe two, and then get eaten or end up smeared on a wall.

nynt9

Yea I have a Japanese 3DS, will wait to see if this is on rails(QTE fest) before making the purchase.

I am taking one for the team and we'll see how it goes.

subscribed to post. please stream or upload vids OP. so curious

I don't have one of those fancy 3DS's with capture abilities but I might try streaming with a camera.

Please no manga spoilers, I want to follow this thread

Updated OP with a request asking people to spoiler tag manga stuff.

DCharlie

Banned
GAFfers who live in Japan, have you played this? What are your thoughts?

will be getting it tomorrow morning - not seen the anime, but reading the manga - my wife really enjoyed the manga - i thought the last issue (12) is out on 9th dec? I assume it's not ending though given the popularity.

nynt9

will be getting it tomorrow morning - not seen the anime, but reading the manga - my wife really enjoyed the manga - i thought the last issue (12) is out on 9th dec? I assume it's not ending though given the popularity.

The series is very popular and about halfway through the plot with a definite ending as announced by the creator.

I wonder where the story will end? Will it go further than the anime?

It is traditional for games like this to end where the anime ends, perhaps with minor hints towards the next events in the manga.

Koppai

I have only watched the first episode of this anime and it was so gruesome, I guess I am just weak at gore stuff...even Blood C bothered me. However, the graphics for this game look really amazing and I have not imported a JP 3DS game since Taiko. Going to watch this to see what happens.

nynt9

Famitsu Score: Attack on Titan: The Last Wings of Mankind (3DS) – 8/8/7/7 [30/40]

Yeah it's a Famitsu score but it did have the lowest score last week.

http://gematsu.com/2013/11/famitsu-review-scores-issue-1304

Updated OP with Famitsu score, not that it means anything to me (I don't really trust review scores anymore, especially not Famitsu). Thanks.

Seen some footage on YT and it looks free running so far.

Can you link me so I can add to OP?

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep

You really should have just used the actual opening of the show. The full song is a little weird in comparison to the TV size version, and doesn't really carry the same amount of impact due to lack of associated imagery and the use of
some silly kind of organ
in the middle of the song. Also, the
guy speaking German throughout the song
is a little awkward to listen to.

And I don't know what happened here.
TcZGSde.png

weevles

This is pretty ambitious for a handheld title. Even though the initial previews looked promising some months ago, I was hoping this would get made for a console.

Too bad it's Japan only for now. As popular as it is, I dunno if there's still enough buzz in the West to warrant a port.

Cimarron

My post had nothing to do with console manufacturer and everything to do with computational power. Like I said it looks good. But a game based on the AOT world would benefit greatly from being a system that would be able to push a massive open world destructible environment. The best scenes in the show imo happened to be when they are zipping around square miles of area being mashed to bits by titans and the heroes using that environment as it gets smashed to bits!

I hope this game captures the feel of the show. But I can't but help feel disappointed by the hardware choice. Not the manufacturer choice.

Salex_

I forgot about this game, hopefully there's some gameplay videos out by tonight.
A pity. Looks good but it should have been Next-Gen.

Xbone, PS4, and PC. Not Wiiu

While this post is terrible for this thread, I really want to see how a big budget AAA AoT game could be like. Spider-Man 2 like controls and online co-op 32-64 players, tons of titans, big maps, etc.

Let me dream.

Noi

Eren seems to be actually be doing something in those screenshots, so I doubt this is based on the anime.

lol

Top Bottom