• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny - Jason Jones interview

Morgadeth

"Before Destiny, your team had been working on Halo for a long time. What prompted the move?

You already answered your own question."

lol

Screen on second page looks like a Quarian.

flame610.jpg

Sdoots

I love Bungie interviews for stuff like that. The team over there all seem to have a pretty good sense of humor about them.

E92 M3

“Yeah, if you show up at this door, and you don’t have five friends, you’re not going to be able to succeed,”

I don't like that there will be parts of the game requiring multiplayer :( As I get older, my tendencies stray from multiplayer -- I just want to enjoy the world in peace. I will play MP games, but only when the mood strikes - and that's competitive only; co-op tends to ruin the immersion for me.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really liked his answer about trying to make a sci-fi shooter have a fantasy feel to it. At this point it's just talk, but if it's executed well it could be an awesome fun time

“Yeah, if you show up at this door, and you don’t have five friends, you’re not going to be able to succeed,”

I don't like that there will be parts of the game requiring multiplayer :( As I get older, my tendencies stray from multiplayer -- I just want to enjoy the world in peace. I will play MP games, but only when the mood strikes - and that's competitive only; co-op tends to ruin the immersion for me.

I agree completely.

If there's not a single player story to play through my interest will be much lower.

I agree in some cases. AI has a long way to go and seems to be one of the most overlooked things in games.

Orca

"Before Destiny, your team had been working on Halo for a long time. What prompted the move?

You already answered your own question."

lol

If they were really that tired of Halo, why didn't they do something that was remarkably different?

If they were really that tired of Halo, why didn't they do something that was remarkably different?

Because they didn't want to be trapped in set gameplay, story and character conventions of the halo universe? Also probably didn't want to be a slave to MS's delivery cycle demands/expectations. Destiny will be their first game in 4 years.

E92 M3

I agree completely.

If there's not a single player story to play through my interest will be much lower.

Exactly -- it's always why I never jump on Borderlands right away. The game was designed for MP and that is off putting to me. I'm guessing my roots shaped me to not enjoy co-op as much as competitive.

I believe in a strong divide between single player experiences and multiplayer mode. Hell, I barely enjoyed Halo in co-op and would never play co-op on my first experience through. Co-op gaming is one of thing I am not that happy with (I know many here love it) and it makes me sad that game like State of Decay or Skyrim (strictly single player) are a dying breed. Call me archaic if you wish.

I agree in some cases. AI has a long way to go and seems to be one of the most overlooked things in games.

It's because no matter how much they say the game will be good in single player, at the end of the day it's designed to be a multiplayer/social experience.

Because they didn't want to be trapped in set gameplay, story and character conventions of the halo universe? Also probably didn't want to be a slave to MS's delivery cycle demands/expectations. Destiny will be their first game in 4 years.

And every year for a decade they will have to deliver a new Destiny game starting next year.

Havok

Jason Jones always gives such fascinating interviews...well, once every ten years, at least. I trust that guy pretty much implicitly to make something cool.

I agree completely.

What he's referencing there is the end-game content, almost certainly not the mainline story. Destiny has raids, which are likely for groups of people who want an intense challenge (you can't really recreate that experience solo), and Strikes which sound like your core MMO dungeon, but we don't know whether that's a feasible thing to do solo just yet. Looking at that image, these are entirely separate from your potential solo experience.

Mdot

Jason Jones always gives such fascinating interviews...well, once every ten years, at least. I trust that guy pretty much implicitly to make something cool.

His parts on the H2 Limited Edition making-of DVD are some of the most interesting to watch. Definitely enjoy listening to what he has to say.

Skeff

This game looks to be more content driven. It doesn't smell like a yearly release to me.

From the leaked contract the idea was a Game and an expansion releasing yearly, so:

2014 - Destiny
2015 - Comet #1
2016 - Destiny 2
2017 - Comet #2

I imagine the Comet is more new raids and maps and collectibles and mainline releases will be story expansions.

Wasn't the original deal for 3 games plus significant DLC between major releases? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Contract said Destiny 2 and so on every other year, with Comet expansions in between the major sequels. But if the Comet releases also get a box, then we're looking at a yearly Destiny box for the next ten years.

Mdot

Contract said Destiny 2 and so on every other year, with Comet expansions in between the major sequels. But if the Comet releases also get a box, then we're looking at a yearly Destiny box for the next ten years.

Right. I can easily see "Destiny - GOTY Edition w/ X Expansion" or whatever.

todd360

You need to get some more immersive friends brah

Well, it would make sense to package the expansion into a "GOTY" edition to have a new SKU on the shelves each holiday. Release game for 60, then game + expansion(s) next year for 60 again.

Well, it would make sense to package the expansion into a "GOTY" edition to have a new SKU on the shelves each holiday. Release game for 60, then game + expansion(s) next year for 60 again.

Yup. It would be foolish not to do it. The question of whether they will brand it as expansion first or just GOTY style package.

And if Blizzard can sell a retail expansion, Bungie could surely do the same.

Scrabble

His parts on the H2 Limited Edition making-of DVD are some of the most interesting to watch. Definitely enjoy listening to what he has to say.

That documentary should be required viewing for anyone who wants to make games. One of the few behind the scenes pieces that doesn't just feel like an advertisement for the game. It's a very honest, no bullshit look at game development.

Mdot

That documentary should be required viewing for anyone who wants to make games. One of the few behind the scenes pieces that doesn't just feel like an advertisement for the game. It's a very honest, no bullshit look at game development.

Absolutely. I still throw it on once in a while.

Have there been other docs done since then in a similar vein? I'd love to see one done for Destiny from inception to release.

E92 M3

What he's referencing there is the end-game content, almost certainly not the mainline story. Destiny has raids, which are likely for groups of people who want an intense challenge (you can't really recreate that experience solo), and Strikes which sound like your core MMO dungeon, but we don't know whether that's a feasible thing to do solo just yet. Looking at that image, these are entirely separate from your potential solo experience.

End-game content is best-game content, normally. Regardless, I will be standing by to see how this pans out.

You need to get some more immersive friends brah

Yeah, I only have one friend who plays video games anymore - and he's way into the fighting game scene and strictly competitive shooters.

Top Bottom