• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Edge Ueda Interview on The Last Guardian

Dyno

Super awkward. The only reason he is on this earth right now is to talk about what the hell happened to TLG, at least so that future generations may learn. He can't or won't so we have the interviewer backing off and asking about his childhood. HA!

mattp

ICO moved from PS1 to PS2 and released the year after PS2 release, in 2001. Since the PS4 is out that would mean TLG has moved from PS3 to PS4 and will release in 2014, because full circle and shit. IT'S HAPPENING GUYS!

well, can't argue with this

Zen

Banned
It's not about the graphic style, both TI games have a distinct style that is true, but the beauty is in the game play, in the interaction.

Replication of a style is not that hard, wouldn't be that difficult to make a wind Walker styled game, but graphics is only a small part of a great game

I'm not just talking about graphics. If worst comes to worst, I'll take quality titles that have been inspired by his work over nothing for almost a decade.

Maybe some day TLG will come out, but the development of it has been beyond an embarrassment for all involved. We've long since passed the point of caring, for a lot of people. Myself included I think. Hopefully whatever comes out at the end of all this is at least a decent game. Yeah yeah 'art takes time' but that's not really an excuse after 7 years... I still believe in his vision as a creative, but that's kind of beside the point at this point.

Game needs more giant monsters

Oh don't worry, it made sure to lift from SotC as well!

http://youtu.be/UHgrSnEpwfY?t=1m1s

Dear Fumito...

eZGj508.jpg

jett

D-Member
What kind of director says shit like, "my creative work is done." You're not done until the game is released. Do you not own the overall product? What is "creative work" when you are a director?

He acts like he was done three years ago and Sony is mysteriously screwing him.

Screwing him out of reaching level 400 in Candy Crush Saga, certainly! Damn those Sony fuckers, actually wanting this example of incompetence to work. Indeed, how dare they.

I don't blame him, I don't know enough of the backstory of this game development to do so. I just feel that some of his comments are a bit strange, apologetic while throwing the blame to unnamed others.

Well, I think he has a right to be pissed off if he designed the game and they keep postponing the actual development of the game to do things like Rain or Puppeteer, no? :) Specially because people keep hating on him and blaming him for everything, in general.

Just look at this thread: "the game got delayed for 2 more years because he did this interview ehhehe" and other snarky comments like that. Only a few people here understand that the real problem is the management of Japan Studio, kinda like Square-Enix. Why focus on (good and pretty, sure) things like Rain, Puppeteer and Knack first if you know what people ACTUALLY want is TLG. Why do 3 Lightning games and 2-3 MMOs before actually creating FF V XIII/FF XV? *shrug* But let's not blame Nomura/Ueda for that.

kmax

The game has been in development for over six years, pushing seven. The management of this game has really been a trainwreck, to put it lightly. It feels like no one is driving this thing anymore. Even Ueda seems complacent with the status of the game. This Shikata ga nai attiutude from the game's director is.....not really making things better either.

Someone has to move this game from the shape that it's in. If it's unsalvageable and if the drive isn't there anymore from the team to start over development for the next generation, it's just better to call it a day and move on to something else.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
TLG treatment is nothing compared to what happened with FFvs13.
Its not like they lead us on for years. There was only one video for the game, nothing else.
Meanwhile, SE showed FFvs13 off for years, behind closed doors, for an entire generation. They then renamed it, and here we are again with no release date attached at all.
TLG was announced after FF13 and I honestly believe will release before FFvs13/XV.
At least Ueda feels genuine disappointment for not coming through, and I am sure Sony wants the thing out as soon as possible. I doubt the same can be said for SE.

PausoD

Neo Member
Well, I think he has a right to be pissed off if he designed the game and they keep postponing the actual development of the game to do things like Rain or Puppeteer, no? :) Specially because people keep hating on him and blaming him for everything, in general.

No comment

TLG treatment is nothing compared to what happened with FFvs13.
Its not like they lead us on for years. There was only one video for the game, nothing else.
Meanwhile, SE showed FFvs13 off for years, behind closed doors, for an entire generation. They then renamed it, and here we are again with no release date attached at all.
TLG was announced after FF13 and I honestly believe will release before FFvs13/XV.
At least Ueda feels genuine disappointment for not coming through, and I am sure Sony wants the thing out as soon as possible. I doubt the same can be said for SE.

Feel bad for anyone who bought a PS3 for these games. :lol

Guys, guys, GAIZ. We've all been playing TLG this whole time. It's a meta game about waiting for his last game. And alcohol addiction. Lots of booze.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well....

I think this says enough.

I never understood how this worked until I spoke to one of the developers behind Rain. Apparently she also worked on TLG, and it kinda gave the impression that the effort was more collaborative than I initially thought.

Does he?
Yeah, he does. He's the director. It's his name in the credits that says this was his project.

I find his attitude to be disgusting and I am almost 100% sure he's been a huge diva on this project and the reason why Sony had to boot him.

sono

Everytime I see the gifs of this game with the boy and the creature. I know I still want this game and that desire does not diminish with time or generation.

Sakujou

Banned
i think that guy is heavily overrated.

his mentor kenji eno is much of a dude who influenced him heavily but no one is mentioning him.

unfortunately, eno did not have that much luck to release most of his games in the western hemisphere.

ueda doesnt get his shit done.

i respect him for ico and sotc, but really good games, but sotc was technically on the ps2 a mess. controls on the horse sucked, and the game struggled to hold onto those 30fps.

two games, and he is considered by some sonyfanboys as god who can compete with miyamoto... lol.

ueda has been working on TLG for at least... 7-8 years??? is he doing everything by himself?
this wont end well, unfortunately.

i was totally expecting this game to arrive at the end of the gen(by NOW AT MAXIMUM)

but its nearly alpha.

he will have the same problems as dennis dyack after this project.

i think that guy is heavily overrated.

his mentor kenji eno is much of a dude who influenced him heavily but no one is mentioning him.

unfortunately, eno did not have that much luck to release most of his games in the western hemisphere.

ueda doesnt get his shit done.

i respect him for ico and sotc, but really good games, but sotc was technically on the ps2 a mess. controls on the horse sucked, and the game struggled to hold onto those 30fps.

two games, and he is considered by some sonyfanboys as god who can compete with miyamoto... lol.

ueda has been working on TLG for at least... 7-8 years??? is he doing everything by himself?
this wont end well, unfortunately.

i was totally expecting this game to arrive at the end of the gen(by NOW AT MAXIMUM)

but its nearly alpha.

he will have the same problems as dennis dyack after this project.

I think he's fairly rated. People loved his games, and at two great games, he should've been considered a 'star' like Kojima et al, but isn't, precisely because of his inability to deliver on time.

And since I value narrative/thematically deep games over gameplay, I would place him in the stratosphere compared to Miyamoto. Ico has been out for more than 12 years, and there hasn't been a game like it from anybody. Nor Nico. On the other hand.... well... you get the idea.

That said, if Trico is dead, so's pretty much his career, I think.

Sakujou

Banned
I think he's fairly rated. People loved his games, and at two great games, he should've been considered a 'star' like Kojima et al, but isn't, precisely because of his inability to deliver on time.

And since I value narrative/thematically deep games over gameplay, I would place him in the stratosphere compared to Miyamoto. Ico has been out for more than 12 years, and there hasn't been a game like it from anybody. Nor Nico. On the other hand.... well... you get the idea.

That said, if Trico is dead, so's pretty much his career, I think.

dont get me wrong, the games were good, but did you play games like el shaddai?
its one of these games, which are forgotten, because some other games enjoyed more PR such as journey.

the gameplay sucked in el shaddai but the artstyle and the story... unbelievable awesome.

its a matter how people would like to see certain games published by certain companies.

ico and nico were really good games, but because sony pushed them to be so.

fumito ueda is something what sony does with the ps4= it rides on the negative waves caused by the xbone.

i seriously hope that TLG sees the day of light, because these are the games i love and i look forward too.

Tom_Cody

My take is that the world/story/etc are kind of long done, but they're still trying to get Toriko to actually work on the PS4 (it probably never did on the PS3).

I've got HR screenshots from years ago that show various locations in the world and all of them are pretty damn polished. I find it very difficult to believe that anything else other than Toriko's AI is holding up the show.
I am very confused by this post. What does HR refer to?

I really hope Sony's Japanese development wing starts pumping out quality titles for the PS4. Their lack of production really hamstrung Sony. They are the only first party japanese studios with any shot at big time software sales but that is only becuse the PS4 user base will be huge soon. I wish we would hear about some japanese dev poaching like we have been hearing for Naughty Dog. I would love to see Japan Studio get some new programming talent.

I really hope Sony's Japanese development wing starts pumping out quality titles for the PS4. Their lack of production really hamstrung Sony. They are the only first party japanese studios with any shot at big time software sales but that is only becuse the PS4 user base will be huge soon. I wish we would hear about some japanese dev poaching like we have been hearing for Naughty Dog. I would love to see Japan Studio get some new programming talent.

I believe they will.

Japan Studio absolutely rocked in the PS2 days, but something went horribly wrong in the PS3 gen (likely piss-poor R&D and production management). From everything we've heard, that ship has been righted thanks to the direction of Allan Becker- but we haven't really seen much regarding the fruits of that labor.

Gravity Rush, The Puppeteer, Tokyo Jungle, Rain, and Knack are a decent start, but two of those are small projects, one is a portable on a struggling handheld, one was mistakenly released right around the time of a brand new console launch, and the other one was a launch game that probably could have used a few more months of polish.
With dev assistance on Deep Down, rumors of a new Demon's Souls (or, at least, a new Miyazaki DeS/DaS-inspired game), Toyama hinting at wanting to make a new horror game, a rumored new big-budget JRPG, and the worst-kept secret in gaming, aka TLG on PS4, the next two years could be the best from Japan Studio in almost a decade.

The key is to get the Japanese market interested in console gaming again. PS4 launch in February will be very telling. I believe if PS4 makes a big impact on Japan we will see a big boost in hiring & production within Japan Studio this gen.
Hell, depending on how massive PS4's install base is worldwide this gen (and I think it'll be massive), we might see this happen regardless.

All that said- where the hell is Clap Hanz & a PS4 Hot Shots/Everybody's Golf, Sony? :p

dont get me wrong, the games were good, but did you play games like el shaddai?
its one of these games, which are forgotten, because some other games enjoyed more PR such as journey.

the gameplay sucked in el shaddai but the artstyle and the story... unbelievable awesome.

its a matter how people would like to see certain games published by certain companies.

fumito ueda is something what sony does with the ps4= it rides on the negative waves caused by the xbone.

i seriously hope that TLG sees the day of light, because these are the games i love and i look forward too.

Dunno, El shaddai looked like a more artsy DMC to me, so I didn't pay much attention. Also, reviews didn't help.

What could have happened to Team Ico when they didnt put one out single game on PS3?

there must have been some crazy shit going down there.

PausoD

Neo Member
He's obviously not gonna talk about this stuff (why development has been stopped so many times giving other titles priority) out of respect/discretion.
Then I'm sure other projects were stopped for him at some point.
He's a director saying that the delay in getting it out is not his responsibility because he's done his part. Why even say anything or do this interview in the first place? So much for respect.

its one of these games, which are forgotten, because some other games enjoyed more PR such as journey

This is revisionist history. Ico sold really poorly in the US due to poor promotion from Sony, to the extent that it was a rarity until the HD collection replaced it. I found out about it by word of mouth from my friends that I should play it.

SotC on the other hand got solid promotion from Sony and resulted in respectable sales.

Sakujou

Banned
This is revisionist history. Ico sold really poorly in the US due to poor promotion from Sony, to the extent that it was a rarity until the HD collection replaced it. I found out about it by word of mouth from my friends that I should play it.

SotC on the other hand got solid promotion from Sony and resulted in respectable sales.

wrong, the demand for ico was huge. it had a reprint before sotc hit the shelves, at least in UK and germany, and still prices for it on ebay went around 100euros.

it didnt sell poorly, sony in the first place never printed enought copies.

Top Bottom