• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie Chief Technology Officer Leaves Company After 14 Years, Joins Sony as 'CTO for the Content Vertical' at PlayStation

bungie-cto-leaves-company-sony-playstation-1.webp

Luis Villegas, who has been with Bungie for fourteen years and served as the Chief Technology Officer since December 2020, has recently departed the company. He has now taken on the role of “CTO for the content vertical” at Sony PlayStation.

Villegas shared the news on his LinkedIn profile earlier today, announcing the new position at PlayStation. “I am super excited to announce that I have taken a role at PlayStation as the Head of Technology, Creative, and Services,” Villegas said in a post.
“In my new role I will be PlayStation’s CTO for the content vertical, and will support the amazing teams that make PlayStation games best in class. I feel incredibly lucky because as part of my new role I get to still work closely with my Bungie family.

“I wanted to thank all my Bungie friends and the leadership for supporting me as I embark in a new adventure and to the great people at PlayStation for the warm welcome over the last few weeks.”

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That engine sucks ass. Jason’s expose on it ten years ago was brutal and Bungie is still running into the same issues with their content creation.

So naturally the guy in charge gets promoted. You know instead of the CTOs who made Sony studios like Insomniac, GG, Sucker Punch, SSM and ND such a technical juggernaut.

I love how people fail upward in corporate America. Expect this dude to force every one of those studios to refocus their efforts on making recycled gaas content for $40 every six months. Can’t wait to play Horizon the taken king.

Why the guy behind fucking Tiger Engine is the new CTO when sony has incredible Engineers like Mark Cerny and other incredible people behind Decima Engine and any other people across PS Studios?

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Why the guy behind fucking Tiger Engine is the new CTO when sony has incredible Engineers like Mark Cerny and other incredible people behind Decima Engine and any other people across PS Studios?
Well, he's only CTO for "vertical content," which probably means he is overseeing the technical implementation of microtransactions and GASS content. I don't think he's over Cerny or the other incredible engineers at Playstation.

Del_X

Does the CTO actually have that much say over the engine? There's a lot of other infrastructure (networking, database stuff for gameplay stats, transaction processing for MTX) for which I would assume the CTO would be more directly responsible.

CamHostage

Does the CTO actually have that much say over the engine? There's a lot of other infrastructure (networking, database stuff for gameplay stats, transaction processing for MTX) for which I would assume the CTO would be more directly responsible.

Yes (albeit Sony has multiple CTOs and VP/Chiefs in different project spheres... heck, SIE currently has two CEOs,) but also, a CTO isn't chosen because he's the guy credited on the hottest graphics engine. Everything you're talking about can come into their purview, as well as their research, leadership, and crisis management background.

Too many of the responses are saying, "Yuck, I don't like Destiny, its got old graphics, this will be bad",) but arranging officers in a corporate structure is more complicated than what gamers see on the surface.

...Also, this isn't a real question, but just "best for me"-wise, would you rather have the most L33T engine master working on tech all day or in board rooms taking meetings?

Last edited:

CamHostage

Mark Cerny does not work at Sony.

Right, not at, albeit mostly for (if not exclusively? I'm not sure how many if any other clients "Cerny Games" has? )

His LinkedIn is pretty funny btw, it just lists one job. Mark Cerny, he started his own company and then, gee, who knows what happened after that, but he seems to have made a lot of friends...

Top Bottom