• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising PC release date Jan 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mononoke

Banned
Didn't really pay attention to the region lock fiasco. My brother recently moved to Japan but has a U.S. steam account/library. I bought him Metal Gear as a gift, and he accepted it and was able to pre-load it. But is he going to be locked out from playing it, since he's in Japan?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't really pay attention to the region lock fiasco. My brother recently moved to Japan but has a U.S. steam account/library. I bought him Metal Gear as a gift, and he accepted it and was able to pre-load it. But is he going to be locked out from playing it, since he's in Japan?

No, the game itself is region-free. AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries applies only to Steam store listings and retail key activations.

Mononoke

Banned
No, the game itself is region-free. AllowPurchaseFromRestrictedCountries applies only to Steam store listings and retail key activations.

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. Was kind of in panic mode. Really wanted him to be able to play this.

So the whole thing about people in South America not being able to gift the game to other regions was wrong ?

Did they change something with the pre-load? Saw earlier in the thread that people couldn't install to something else than C but I had the option to change my install drive.

And I embrace these download sizes if it means less shitty looking cut scenes (that's the reason to why it's so big right?).

nG03y3o.png

And I thought 2.5-3.0mb/s was good holy shit.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
pre-loading now, no problems with the steam code from US amazon so far in EU

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The 23GB pre-load, alongside knowing Black Flag and Ghosts are about the same size, have really put into light how craptacular the next generation is going to be for my Aussie internet. I'm on a 150GB monthly limit, and when one fucking game chews up 1/6th, total split between three people, one also a heavy internet user...

...yeeeaaah.

velociraptor

The 23GB pre-load, alongside knowing Black Flag and Ghosts are about the same size, have really put into light how craptacular the next generation is going to be for my Aussie internet. I'm on a 150GB monthly limit, and when one fucking game chews up 1/6th, total split between three people, one also a heavy internet user...

...yeeeaaah.
150GB monthly limit?

How do you even survive?

Does unlimited internet not exist in Australia?

Blablurn

...yeeeaaah.

Damn :(

Vitor711

Did they change something with the pre-load? Saw earlier in the thread that people couldn't install to something else than C but I had the option to change my install drive.

And I embrace these download sizes if it means less shitty looking cut scenes (that's the reason to why it's so big right?).

nG03y3o.png

I certainly hope so - I don't have space on my primary SSD so it would be great (and a really obvious change) if I could just select my secondary HDD. I've had this issue before though and, considering how long it take Steam to implement fixes for things like this usually, I wasn't expecting anything new soon.

I move around a lot and asked steam to permanently lock me to the UK store - they did that and now I never have any issues buying games when abroad. I just sent them an e-mail and they replied within a day or so.

JaseC

150GB monthly limit?

How do you even survive?

Does unlimited internet not exist in Australia?

It generally depends on where you live, what you're after, and how much you're willing to pay. Including mandatory line rental I pay $92pm for a 6.5~7Mbit/0.384Mbit ADSL connection without a download limit, but the ISP I'm with isn't exactly of the reputable type. I'd say the hierarchy is as follows (best to worst):

- NBN-enabled areas
- Estates not serviced by Telstra Velocity
- Areas connected to exchanges with third-party/non-Telstra hardware (depending on line quality/length -- 1.5Mbps down/256Kbps up is the minimum considered acceptable by Telstra)
- Areas connected to exchanges without third-party/non-Telstra hardware (depending on line quality/length -- 1.5Mbps down/256Kbps up is the minimum considered acceptable by Telstra)
- Areas serviced by Telstra/Optus HFC (this would be a rank higher but Optus' plans suck and there are serious contention issues with both)*
- Estates serviced by Telstra Velocity
- Areas serviced only by wireless and/or satellite

Telstra Velocity is fibre but the plans are awful.

* Well, these folks can choose to move to ADSL or even the NBN if they're particularly lucky ducks, contractual obligations permitting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Including line rental we pay AU$70 a month split between three, ~12+Mbps/0.48Mbps Optus cable, 150GB monthly limit.

I had no hand in setting it up, unfortunately. My housemate went forward with activated the internet based on her original plan before I could step in. Once the contract was signed we were locked in. Though I did up the monthly limit/fee.

do we know who is porting? like its completely done in house?

1080p isn't the problem here, i'm more scared about performance on mid/high end rigs.

LiK

...yeeeaaah.

Digital future!

Jockel

Aussies seem to get the short end if the stick, I pay 35€ for 45mbits down / 8mbits up.
No limits.
How they can rip off their customers so badly in down under is pretty baffling to me.

I finally caved and ordered it - preload is humming away in the background. I've waited a long time to play this game, hope I don't have to drop my settings too low to maintain a steady 60.

...yeeeaaah.

Wait... there are countries with Internet data limit ? Is that even legal ?

Including line rental we pay AU$70 a month split between three, ~12+Mbps/0.48Mbps Optus cable, 150GB monthly limit.

I had no hand in setting it up, unfortunately. My housemate went forward with activated the internet based on her original plan before I could step in. Once the contract was signed we were locked in. Though I did up the monthly limit/fee.

how much does a business line cost from your provider?

Grief.exe

wtf mgr bought from amazon seems region locked...:(

Its a retail sub on the Steam registry, so keys bought from other sites would be region locked as well.

Valve looks the other way on VPN usage in this scenario. Activate VPN to a country that is allowed, likely its right next to you geographically anyway, and activate the key.

Liamario

Banned
I don't know why Ireland is on that list, it seems absolutely bizarre that we're not getting this game for some reason.
Makes very little sense. It almost seems like it's an error more than anything else. Why would they restrict in Ireland, when we get everything the UK gets?!

...yeeeaaah.

Install this filter and feel free to go nuts with Steam downloads!

Certain ISPs in Australia don't count Steam downloads against your quota as long as you connect to the Australian content servers. Unfortunately when you hit download Steam just picks a server that's available and starts downloading. This program forces Steam to only look for the local servers and it has worked 99% of the time for me. The only game I had to turn the filter off to download was Divinity 2 or something.

I hope it works for you because it's been an absolute lifesaver for me.

Everyone in the US that used Amazon, did you get your key? My game library page still isn't giving me my code and it says processing may take up to 4 hours. With a message of "Sorry, processing of this order is taking longer than expected"

JaseC

Install this filter and feel free to go nuts with Steam downloads!

Certain ISPs in Australia don't count Steam downloads against your quota as long as you connect to the Australian content servers. Unfortunately when you hit download Steam just picks a server that's available and starts downloading. This program forces Steam to only look for the local servers and it has worked 99% of the time for me. The only game I had to turn the filter off to download was Divinity 2 or something.

I hope it works for you because it's been an absolute lifesaver for me.

Optus shut down its gaming network years ago so the filter won't help. The only ISP that offers unmetered access to more than its own content servers is Internode (and perhaps also other ii-owned ISPs, but this wasn't the case last I checked).

nG03y3o.png

You got to choose your install directory? For me, the pre-load is just a big lump of data in a Temp file on my C drive, waiting to get installed

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
You got to choose your install directory? For me, the pre-load is just a big lump of data in a Temp file on my C drive, waiting to get installed

I had to delete a bunch of stuff, because my C disk is small compared to the other drives while preloading.

JaseC

Everyone in the US that used Amazon, did you get your key? My game library page still isn't giving me my code and it says processing may take up to 4 hours. With a message of "Sorry, processing of this order is taking longer than expected"

This happened to somebody on my friends list. He got his key by using Amazon's live support.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
It generally depends on where you live, what you're after, and how much you're willing to pay. Including mandatory line rental I pay $92pm for a 6.5~7Mbit/0.384Mbit ADSL connection without a download limit, but the ISP I'm with isn't exactly of the reputable type. I'd say the hierarchy is as follows (best to worst):

Jesus, I though I had it bad.
I pay more or less the same as EatChildren for the same speed, but no monthly cap.

JaseC

I had to delete a bunch of stuff, because my C disk is small compared to the other drives while preloading.

You can pre-load to another drive by:

- Installing Link Shell Extension
- Moving the depotcache folder (located in the root of the Steam folder) to your desired drive
- Right-clicking on said folder and selecting "Pick link source"
- Navigating to the root of your Steam folder, right-clicking somewhere within the empty space, hovering over "Drop link as" and finally selecting "Symbolic link"

Jesus, I though I had it bad.
I pay more or less the same as EatChildren for the same speed, but no monthly cap.

The most annoying thing is that my area was originally scheduled to receive fibre last November, but due to reasons I won't get into (the long and short of it is that the prime contractor never did any actual work in the area across the 13 months it was flagged as "work commenced" and NBN Co turned a blind eye to this the entire time) this didn't happen and now the matter is up in the air. One of my mates is going to buy a place within the next 3-6 months and I told him I'd move in with him if he bought in an NBN-enabled area (I'm that sick of my ADSL connection).

Levyne

Banned
Huh? I'm pretty sure I pre-loaded to my E: (HDD). I'll have to check if it's on C: since that's my SSD and it doesn't have a ton of space.

+: Nope. It's on my C: Oh well I can shuffle some stuff around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom