• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joystiq: PC versions of Dark Souls, Red Faction: Guerrilla and more removing GFWL

Dolor

As for Warhammer, while neither Sega nor Games Workshop commented on the matter of whether or not Sega inherited THQ's licence, the games are still up on Steam so evidently it was, and a Relic developer did say that there was a "strong possibility" of Dawn of War 3 coming to fruition.

You just made my day kind sir. Thank you.

Eusis

You won't be able to play them online and download their DLC.
And I expect at a minimum SOMETHING will be done for RE5. They care enough to port RE4 at this stage and it's one of their tent pole series (and the best selling entry) so they will probably decide it's worth it.

I have no idea why people keep making up comparisons like this, especially now that we don't even need to guess anymore, but we can explicitly measure it, with both the Batman Games gaining several frames per second since they made their transition from GFWL to Steamworks.

It happened constantly even with Origin ("it's lighter than Steam", even if you need just to check to realize that it isn't).

Well the Batman games dropped SecuROM at the same time, which has been known to cause performance loss in the past (The Witcher 2 for example). GFWL was probably not helping though, that is for sure.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

JaseC

And confirmed:

So I guess this confirms that a GFWL removal patch is coming for Ace Combat.

gUWtVWs.png

http://steamdb.info/app/228400/#section_depots

Am I late to this party?

Dark Souls receiving the same treatment is all but assured at this point.

Parsnip

Lets hope we'll hear something official from Bamco this week, since the cat is out the bag on Ace Combat.

I'm wondering though, who's doing the work? It seems like a strong possibility that they'd hire QLOC again since they did the original port. But what would that mean for Dark Souls, considering From did that in-house. Having never implemented G4WL nor Steamworks, I wonder how involved the process to move from one to another is. Obviously it's not just a search/replace, but how familiar one would have to be with the code in order to do it efficiently. Maybe QLOC should do Dark Souls as well, and add proper resolution options in there while they are at it. :p

For some reason I find it extremely amusing that they are calling the branch acah-2.0, bumping up the version number like that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ACE COMBAT™ ASSAULT HORIZON - removed
http://steamcommunity.com/app/228400/discussions/0/558748822549751871/

Dear Ace combat fans,
you can now update your Ace Combat Assault Horizon Enhanced Edition for PC game to replace the Games for Windows Live functionalities with Steamworks functionalities.
The update is available from today – February 24th and will let you keep both your saves and achievements.

C'mon Dark Souls...

JaseC

What are the chances of GTA4 removing GFWL?

Well, the GTA4 store page was supposedly recently updated with the following:

Access to special features may require internet connection, may not be available to all users, and may, upon 30 days’ notice, be terminated, modified, or offered under different terms.

I can't confirm this, though, since Steam's age gate trips up Archive.org's crawler, so it's impossible to see an older state of the page.

Unai

Great!

Now I'm wating:
- Dark Sourls;
- Resident Evil 5;
- Fallout 3 (because of the achievements, since GfWL is alread optional)

JaseC

Shameless cross-post:

Sega has recently begun work on beta and test branches for Dawn of War 2 and Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising.

They're GFWL games so I think we can safely assume just what it is the devs are up to.

Sure would be nice to see those previously GFWL marketplace titles appear on Steam.

I would love to play Gears or Viva Pinata on PC. The closure of their market prevents downloads for prior purchases, doesn't it? A shame if so.

Nobody will ever use a MS games service again after this.

Grief.exe

Sure would be nice to see those previously GFWL marketplace titles appear on Steam.

I would love to play Gears or Viva Pinata on PC. The closure of their market prevents downloads for prior purchases, doesn't it? A shame if so.

You can still download your GFWL purchases from the client.

Gear, VP, and Halo Trilogy would be a perfect fit for Steam.

JaseC

The Marketplace just closed off content to would-be purchasers; it's still available, for now, to existing owners.

Parsnip

I might play Viva Pinata again if they bring that over.
I bet they wouldn't make the GfWL keys redeemable though, but I still have mine stashed away, just in case, along with couple other codes as well.

I seriously get giddy every time a new clue pops up, saying another game is being patched and dropping it. C'mon Resident Evil 5...

Gangxxter

Well, the GTA4 store page was supposedly recently updated with the following:

I can't confirm this, though, since Steam's age gate trips up Archive.org's crawler, so it's impossible to see an older state of the page.
Oh, c'mon R*, just remove GfWL and abandon all its features (multiplayer, achievements etc.) I just want to play this game in singleplayer without this crap.

SparkTR

I own a significant number of games that aren't removing GFWL. That'll teach me to buy PC games. :(

It'll teach you for buying Microsoft supported products. Imagine the massacre that will be 360 Xbox Live in a few years. Regardless of the troubles it'll cause now, getting GFWL out of PC gaming is better for the whole platform.

How does red faction perform on the new hanswel processors? It is my game of the generation and i would love to play it at 60 fps locked!

Frame rate took big hits on my 1055t and 7970 rig

Thorgi

Like what?
Because in the end I don't expect more than a couple of them to be left unpatched.

Dark Void, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Dirt 2 (I think Dirt 3 might have it too?), Blacklight, both OpFlashpoints, SFxT, Fable III, and Bulletstorm, which will likely hurt the most out of all of them (love that fucking game so much). Sure, I still have loads of other games, but it burns to have anything I bought just up and stop working like that.

Sentenza

Dark Void, Lost Planet, Resident Evil 5, Dirt 2 (I think Dirt 3 might have it too?), Blacklight, both OpFlashpoints, SFxT, Fable III, and Bulletstorm, which will likely hurt the most out of all of them (love that fucking game so much). Sure, I still have loads of other games, but it burns to have anything I bought just up and stop working like that.
As I said, i don't expect more than a couple of them to be left unpatched on the long term.

Thorgi

It'll teach you for buying Microsoft supported products. Imagine the massacre that will be 360 Xbox Live in a few years. Regardless of the troubles it'll cause now, getting GFWL out of PC gaming is better for the whole platform.

Is Steamworks really a better solution, though? Sure, it doesn't have nearly the same number of problems, but if Steam ever goes out of business or gets shut down (it's possible, guys, nothing is bulletproof), there go my games. Even if Valve go through what they promised and remove the DRM if Steam goes away, will they modify every single Steamworks game to accept it?

As I said, i don't expect more than a couple of them to be left unpatched on the long term.
Here's hoping.

TaroYamada

Indeed it is. Didn't Relic remove GFWL from Company of Heroes ages ago? I wonder if THQ going under and them being sold to Sega is the issue here? Doesn't Relic or Sega still have the Warhammer 40k license as well though? I find it hard to believe they'd still keep selling the original DOW series and DOW2: Retribution while dropping DOW2 and Chaos Rising, in terms of the Blood Ravens story you lose quite a bit without those 2 games leading up to Retribution.

SEGA's press release after the purchase mentioned Dawn of War as part of their Relic purchase IIRC but not if they had a license for future games. We still don't know for certain but there's hints that DoW3 may happen.

That said, we'll likely see DoW 2/CR expansion get steamwork patches, especially with the latest steam registry updates we're seeing for them. If not, it's really not the biggest deal, they can be played offline and retribution is steamworks and would preserve the online multiplayer.

SparkTR

Is Steamworks really a better solution, though? Sure, it doesn't have nearly the same number of problems, but if Steam ever goes out of business or gets shut down (it's possible, guys, nothing is bulletproof), there go my games. Even if Valve go through what they promised and remove the DRM if Steam goes away, will they modify every single Steamworks game to accept it?

There's a whole lot of 'what if's' in this industry. What if Sony goes bankrupt? What if Elop dumps Xbox? What if Nintendo exits the industry? In the end the answer is who knows, but as of this point Valve have presented themselves as highly reliably and trustworthy, the most reliable of the platform holders when it comes to this kind of stuff. I don't doubt they'd do whatever they can. And besides, a ton of Steamworks games run on player-run servers, and they certainly won't be shut down.

Top Bottom