• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did the Nintendo 64 have a single 2D Sprite based game?

Who

Banned
I can't think of one. I can think of tons for the PS1 though... Was there a particular reason that sprite based games didn't work on it?

MAtgS

Mischief_Makers.jpg

Mischief makers for one, bangi-o for two and many many more. The main reason for the lack of 2d games was probably memory size on the carts and at the time 2d wasn't in vogue especially on the all powerful n64.

Gamers fucking hated 2D games in the N64 era. Read the Nintendo Power hate letters to the editor from when Mischief Makers released.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't think Mischief Makers was sprite-based. Wasn't it 2.5D?

Edit: yup, it wasn't sprite-based, but using models and pre-rendered backgrounds. It's a 2D game using 3D technology, not sprites. Not sure about Bangai-O, never played it.

Zee-Row

Banned
Gamers fucking hated 2D games in the N64 era. Read the Nintendo Power hate letters to the editor from when Mischief Makers released.

Its funny because I still loved 2D games during that time and was scared those games would go away forever. Fast forward to today and 2D games are still alive and better than ever.

Phediuk

Mischief Makers
Bangai-O
Killer Instinct Gold
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Yoshi's Story
Ogre Battle 64
Pokemon Puzzle League
Magical Tetris Challenge
The New Tetris
Dr. Mario 64
Starcraft 64

I think that might literally be it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Its funny because I still loved 2D games during that time and was scared those games would go away forever. Fast forward to today and 2D games are still alive and better than ever.
I remember thinking gamers who were in love with 2D back then were weird.

Which seems crazy now. Because I'm a 2D fetishist with a huge appreciation for retro and modern sprite games.

And a ton of them still do.

Same. Can't stop us now.

Edit: yup, it wasn't sprite-based, but using models and pre-rendered backgrounds. It's a 2D game using 3D technology, not sprites.

Yeah, most stuff went for the plastic SGI look, bcuz DKC and Killer Instinct I guess. I love Mischeif Makers to death, but it's a pretty ugly game imo. They made it work, though.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
ITT people don't know what "sprite-based" means...

These gamers were fucking dumb, really. I remember clinging to 2D since forever, and that's why I greatly preferred the Saturn over the N64. And of course games like Symphony of the Night being among the finest on the PSX, or even ever.

Glad to be vindicated decades later with the resurgence of glorious 2D, I suppose. :p

Syril

Edit: yup, it wasn't sprite-based, but using models and pre-rendered backgrounds. It's a 2D game using 3D technology, not sprites. Not sure about Bangai-O, never played it.
I don't know Mischief Makers looks a lot like pre-rendered sprites to me.

Yoshi's Story and Mischief Makers were not sprite based, both relied almost entirely on pre-rendered visuals. It was a weird time when new 2D games had to be justified by the moronic "2.5D" marketing tag line thanks to a handful of idiots the execs were apparently scared of who expected that every side scroller had to either ape DKC's visual style or use polygons in order to be considered legit. I was in high school at the time and the "2.5D" buzzword was very annoying, honestly, it felt like an apology every time I'd hear it or see it used in an article.

Also, Mischief Makers was my first Treasure game and I still adore it. I was totally sold on it after seeing clips of it in one of Nintendo Power's Fall '97 preview N64 VHS tapes they would send in the mail and also reading the review for it in Gamefan. I then waited about five months for Yoshi's Story expecting that to be the better game only to be gravely disappointed, Mischief Makers had so much more depth, variety and challenge. Funny how an independent small skeleton crew of ex-Konami guys ended up besting NCL. The Yoshi series wouldn't be fully redeemed for 18 years until Woolly World thanks to Good Feel who I sincerely hope gets to do every Yoshi game from now on.

Of course there were other good 2D games on the N64 like Goemon's Great Adventure and Kirby Crystal Shards but yeah, it was very sparse.

Edit: Yeah, pretty sure Bangaioh and that Puyo Puyo 64 game someone posted were the only games to use hand drawn 2D sprites, everything else was either pre-rendered or used polygons like Kirby 64.

ReyVGM

Mischief Makers is a sprite based game, it uses pre-rendered sprites but it is still sprites.

Now if the OP is asking about hand-drawn sprites like NES/SNES stuff, then no, there were only a handful. Bangai-o is one of those.

Paper Mario uses polygons, but the textures are made to look like sprites. Did you know what other game uses polygons but it looks like a "sprite" game? Symphony of the Night.

Sad that 2d games were so hated in the early 3d era, because the 16 bit era still holds up a lot better in terms of presentation than most of the stuff we got in those years. Not to say there weren't a few 3d gems of course.

I don't know Mischief Makers looks a lot like pre-rendered sprites to me.

Yeah it was pre rendered sprites similar to Killer Instinct Gold. Not sure if that counts or not. In any case, it proves that the system was capable of doing 2D well enough, I guess.

impact

Banned
Yoshi's Story graphics blew my mind back then. I remember loving the game just because of how good it looked. Graphics whore from the start :p

Wonder Project J2.

People saying Yoshi's Story, Mischief Makers, Paper Mario etc. have their terminology messed up. The OP is obviously referring to sprite art as in in the style of hand-drawn pixel-accurate 2D images like you'd get on the CPS2, Neo Geo, or CPS3 arcade boards. Which going by that qualification, kind of even disqualifies my suggestion xD.

Those above-mentioned three games use prerendered 3D models flattened into 2D sprites. It's not quite the same thing and shouldn't be treated as such.

Kathian

Banned
People looked down on 2D so much. It was good for the industry as it drove the 3D drive. But its even better now its back in strong form.

Top Bottom