• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which great, underperforming Square Enix game is better - Octopath 2 or FF7 Rebirth

Which do you like more?

• Octopath Traveler 2

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth

Votes: 64 67.4%

• Total voters

LakeOf9

Square Enix has put out two underrated masterpieces over the course of the last year or so - Octopath Traveler 2, the sequel to their turn based throwback game which ended up surprising everyone and becoming one of Square's best games in years. And Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, which feels like the first time since the PS1 era that it feels like an FF game actually delivers on the promise of the series from those days.

Both games are masterpieces, but which do you like more? Octopath 2 I think is more consistently excellent, but Rebirth has far higher highs (and those highs are absurd). I can't decide. Can you?

I hope with square Enix restructuring their games development, that genes like Octopath still exist.

Square has a tremendous opportunity with the HD2D titles. But the smaller experimental titles need to go away.

As for FF Rebirth, square and Sony are to blame. How many extra copies would it have sold if it launched on all playable and launched on all systems, pc, and Mac.

They could have made a bundle!

The console holders got this platform exclusivity idea wrong. They need to rethink this.

Bayonetta, is another example. Needed to launch on everything!

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Play Star Ocean 2R instead. Best game they released in a while. Much better than any AAA garbage they made in recent years.
It's £25 on Amazon UK on PS5 rn. BUY IT UK CUCKS.

I'll get to Octopath 2 after Eiyuden but FF VII Rebirth is far from a masterpiece. lmao

Haven't played Rebirth yet, but OT2 is a masterpiece. As far as under-performing goes, one is a niche sequel with much less recognition and the other used to be a house hold name and widely considered the pinnacle of jrpgs, so you tell me which one should have done better.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I adored Octopath 2, but Rebirth is honestly one of the best games I've played in a long time

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Rebirth has enormous brand recognition and big marketing behind it ... so is performing exactly as it should since its not a great game at all ... and please dont comeback with "scores" from outlets that 2 times a day are bashed in this forum for being "untrustworthy".

Remake sucked and Rebirth sux ... sorry.. is the truth... average bloated games with good graphics, stretched nonsensical storys and gameplay that cant decide what it wants to be.

SE has lost its way a long time ago. Hope they can find it again in the future. But This late FF (XV, XVI, remake , rebirth) arent it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Rebirth has enormous brand recognition and big marketing behind it ... so is performing exactly as it should since its not a great game at all ... and please dont comeback with "scores" from outlets that 2 times a day are bashed in this forum for being "untrustworthy".

Remake sucked and Rebirth sux ... sorry.. is the truth... average bloated games with good graphics, stretched nonsensical storys and gameplay that cant decide what it wants to be.

SE has lost its way a long time ago. Hope they can find it again in the future. But This late FF (XV, XVI, remake , rebirth) arent it.
816305.jpg

Neff

I bought Octopath 2 at release and haven't even opened it.

I've played through Rebirth almost twice now.

So Rebirth.

Three

I've only played Octopath Traveler 2, but it is fantastic. Where was it said that the game underperformed?
I'm guessing some nobody somewhere said it. Square Enix has never said either of these games have underperformed. They may well have too but it's never been said like they have said for other games.

proandrad

Stop playing rebirth after the golden saucer. I’ll get back to it, but just to finish the main story line. They went overboard with all the extra side quests/mini games. Just feels like they are trying to pad the game length at this point.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I'm guessing some nobody somewhere said it. Square Enix has never said either of these games have underperformed. They may well have too but it's never been said like they have said for other games.

I mean we know why this narrative is being pushed

S-E made sales announcements bragging about FF7 Remake, XVI, and even XV shortly after launch. They haven’t done the same for Rebirth.

Use your brain. Either S-E all of a sudden decided they’d keep this good news secret for no reason, or else the sales #s ain’t that great.

You can stop with the insinuations that it’s just some trolls/naysayers pulling some narrative out of their ass.

Topher

Gold Member

S-E made sales announcements bragging about FF7 Remake, XVI, and even XV shortly after launch. They haven’t done the same for Rebirth.

Use your brain. Either S-E all of a sudden decided they’d keep this good news secret for no reason, or else the sales #s ain’t that great.

You can stop with the insinuations that it’s just some trolls/naysayers pulling some narrative out of their ass.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

Three

SE also announce in their financials when games underperform. They didn't do the same here. Does the same logic apply there? I even said it may well have but there is nothing official. Ahmed saying it sold less than FF7Remake also doesn't mean it underperformed. It all depends on what SE were expecting and they've officially said nothing on it yet.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Where did i miss that SE said FFVII Rebirth was under-performing? Or are we basing that off the soyboys at IGN?

It's my GOTY so far for 2024, love every minute!

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Haven't played any so I won't vote, but out of those two and based on what I've seen of them, Octopath is much more appealing to me.

Three

I suppose if you count Forspoken as a "western game" even though it was their Japanese studios. Wouldn't FF be a western game also then?

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
SE also announce in their financials when games underperform. They didn't do the same here. Does the same logic apply there? I even said it may well have but there is nothing official. Ahmed saying it sold less than FF7Remake also doesn't mean it underperformed. It all depends on what SE were expecting and they've officially said nothing on it yet.
Fair enough, I guess we’ll see. The one thing we know for sure is that S-E decided the sales #s aren’t worth bragging about.

I think probably best case scenario is that the sales #s don’t sound impressive compared to XVI and Remake but that’s what S-E expected.

RavageX

I don't know about underperforming....but personally I can say that if Octo 2 is anything like the first then it sucks for me. I own both, forced myself to finish the first and I think I'll just sell the second rather than waste my time. I like an interesting story, and the game didn't have it. Poor party interaction. Not once did it feel like the characters REALLY shared a common goal, or anything together. They are just there with you. A lot of the quests were pretty lame as well. You have an overall story that's there but I lost interest and didn't even care to truly finish the game.

I wasn't bothered by the retro graphics, but that was lame as well (IMO). If the graphics aren't going to be amazing, the story and characters better be and they weren't.

Final Fantasy, I am enjoying the remakes but I am taking my time with them. I do a few side things here and there. I find Chadley and that girl annoying, very annoying. The main characters are fine! I have no issues with them, and its cool seeing them interacting like people that care about each other.
I am not amazed by the world graphics, but it does have its pretty epic moments...especially when remembering stuff from the original game. I don't really enjoy the world traversal. The quest styling IS better and makes more sense since you are a "merc" but the mini quests themselves are pretty eh.
I don't care for the item creation either.

I'm interested in seeing where the story goes.

I can possibly see where someone who did not play the original game WHEN it originally came out might not care one way or another, but I feel that most who experienced the original back in the day will feel some type of way of seeing some elements brought into current day tech.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Octopath Traveler is the only SE game that I've actually enjoyed since Nier: Automata.
Could agree with you if it weren't for Stranger of Paradise but yeah, I understand the feel.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone else think a major problem for SE these days is that they don't seem to advertise their stuff close to as well as they used to?

These days I always find their trailers really sloppily cut together for example.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Octopath 2 is probably better. But I played and enjoyed FF7 more. Absolute Nostalgia trip for me. I love the characters from FF7.

TexMex

Octopath 2

For me, Rebirth, just like Remake, has some very high highs but the down time and busy work and side content can be such a slog. I’m sure I’ll finish it over the course a year just like I did for Remake, I just have no desire to power through.

It's time to accept that SE and their output isn't as "great" as some people say. I miss old based squaresoft.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Play Star Ocean 2R instead. Best game they released in a while. Much better than any AAA garbage they made in recent years.

I liked what i played for dozens of hours until i started getting inexplicably 1-2 shot deaths of my entire party by random enemy encounters and nothing i could see for a reason why other than terrible game balance.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
FFVII R and it is not even a fucking contest.
Octopath 2 has a better OST and doesn't have performance issues and an original story. Tressa from Octopath 1 still the best.

I concur with those recommending SO2R. Amazing complete game with great characters, combat and story and is a remake done right.

Top Bottom