• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Humble Bundle launches multi-platform publishing and funding program

Ibuki

Banned
http://www.pcgamer.com/humble-bundle-launches-multi-platform-publishing-and-funding-program/

Humble Bundle has announced plans to move into the game publishing business with the launch of a new multi-platform publishing and funding initiative. The company described the program as "a multi-million-dollar investment for games large and small," and said it will begin with seven games "across a range of genres and styles, for PC, console, and mobile platforms."

Humble's debut publishing lineup will include:

A Hat in Time

Release date: 2017
Release platforms: Windows and Mac OSX

HackyZack

Release date: Spring 2017
Release platforms: Windows, Mac, & Linux on initial release. Xbox One post-launch.

Ikenfell

Release date: Summer 2018
Release platforms: Windows & Mac OSX

Keyboard Sports

Release date: Autumn 2017
Release platforms: Windows, Mac, Linux

No Truce with the Furies

Release date: Fall 2017
Release platform: Windows

Scorn

Release date: Q4 2017

Staxel

Release date: Late Q3 2017

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Man I love Humble Bundle and I love seeing new initiatives like this, but at the same time a part of me is like...I feel like we're near or past the point of indie game saturation. I'm not actually sure if what the market needs right now is more games, full stop

MoeDabs

Man I love Humble Bundle and I love seeing new initiatives like this, but at the same time a part of me is like...I feel like we're near or past the point of indie game saturation. I'm not actually sure if what the market needs right now is more games, full stop

Good thing you don't decide what the market "needs".

kadotsu

Banned

I agree to a certain extend. For me Humble Bundle's biggest strength is stringent curation on the bundle side. I'm not against them funding development, though. I just feel they should take on less quantity and focus on higher budgets to create products that stand out.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Lord save this poor soul from imaginative games that aren't part of multi million franchises.

jrDev

What?

The Technomancer

Good thing you don't decide what the market "needs".

I just...I'm curious how well this is actually going to work out. How much promotion from Humble publishing will be able to overcome the sheer statistical problem of games selling 2500 copies because only 0.25% of anything can get seen

Razlo

People who decide worth based on if something is indie or not are REAL interesting people...

Me? I'll be happy to see another way for good games to be released, regardless of whether that game was developed in a garage or a giant office building.

DocSeuss

Our indie saturation issue has more to do with curation than anything right now, and that's not a solved problem. Having a publisher promote visibility (and those are some GOOD games to promote! Scorn and No Truce With the Furies? Wow!) is one of the ways to help with the curation problem.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Thats likely the reason why this is happening - Humble Bundle will showcase and push these titles so they dont go under in a crowded indie space. Especially if they can streamline the process to get some of these projects on console as well.

Seems like a win/win to me if bother partys have reasonable expectations.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

giphy.gif

Razlo

I just...I'm curious how well this is actually going to work out. How much promotion from Humble publishing will be able to overcome the sheer statistical problem of games selling 2500 copies because only 0.25% of anything can get seen

Humble Bundle has a huge audience, so you're kinda arguing FOR them to promote and publish games.

The Technomancer

Lord save this poor soul from imaginative games that aren't part of multi million franchises.
I basically only play indie games these days. My point is that my Steam wishlist currently contains 400 items because I keep clicking through the suggested queue and seeing lots of games that "look neat", with decent production values and interesting hooks, that I don't end up buying and that no-one else is buying either according to Steamspy because right now I think more games are getting made than people actually want to buy.

I like Humble and I hope this works out, but I hope that their promotional efforts actually work. What's giving me pause is the fairly tepid reaction to their original stuff they've been including with the Monthlys

Granjinha

that's a fantastic line-up right off the gate

I basically only play indie games these days. My point is that my Steam wishlist currently contains 400 items because I keep clicking through the suggested queue and seeing lots of games that "look neat", with decent production values and interesting hooks, that I don't end up buying and that no-one else is buying either according to Steamspy because right now I think more games are getting made than people actually want to buy.

I like Humble and I hope this works out, but I hope that their promotional efforts actually work. What's giving me pause is the fairly tepid reaction to their original stuff they've been including with the Monthlys

the originals in the monthly bundles clearly aren't full fledged products so i don't really see a valid comparison here

G0523

That is amazing news! I realize that most of the games they're publishing at the moment are PC/Mac exclusive, but it would be great to see some games on consoles too. (Looking at you, A Hat in Time.)

No Truce with the Furies

Release date: Fall 2017

I read this as 'No Truce with the Furries,' which I think is a more interesting concept.

This is good news, I don't buy too much from them anymore but I like what Humble have been doing, and smaller indie publishers like Devolver and Adult Swim have been putting out some really interesting stuff.

Nzyme32

I'm happy to let "the market" consumer base as a whole decide that rather than spectators.

I'd say now more than ever before, I've been far more experimental with the games I play and ultimately, "indies" are now the brunt of the games I will buy ranging from simple small endeavours to much larger. The sheer variety and high quality available is fantastic, and that has led to all manner of niches being discovered for me. While I think I have peaked in turns of how much I will buy due to time constraints, the types of games I buy is in a state of constant flux precisely because of the increases in experimentation and niches available that provide really exciting games more than ever. At some point developers / publishers will see if there is truly over saturation and change.

These were coming out regardless correct? This is just a platform to give them a spotlight when they release so the devs don't have to deal with self publishing. Seems like a solid idea for the humble co.

zulux21

a hat in time is one i have been watching forever.
glad to see it's releasing int 2017.

I wonder if it will be in the humble monthly :p

How could you see Scorn and say this

Chris1

Because Humble is largely a PC centric platform.

I think he said that because one of them is going to Xbox.

That might be because it's could be on Win10 store/UWP aswell so might aswell just put it on Xbox too since 99% of the work is done, kinda like how Fallout Shelter made it to Xbox but not PS4. Dunno though, it's weird that only one is going on xbox too

I think he said that because one of them is going to Xbox.

That might be because it's gonna be on Win10 store/UWP aswell so might aswell just put it on Xbox too since 99% of the work is done, kinda like how Fallout Shelter made it to Xbox but not PS4.

I understood why he said it but that's only... One.

zulux21

This seems like a good way to start losing money....

quite possible, but unlike a lot of companies humble isn't always about the bottom line. they often taken on experimental things such as pushing games for linux in order to better the indie community.

though admittedly it's been a while since they took on a large scale project for such a thing, and they likely hope to make money from this.

Durante

That's a pretty damn good list of games to start with.

I guess I'll buy at least one humble-published game at launch.

What?

We always need more good games, who cares if you see them as indie or not. This will hopefully help smaller developers to reach their full potential.

keraj37

More games means more to choose from, means more quality (thanks to bigger competition) - it is all good for gamers. Not good for developers.

Top Bottom