• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny: "PlayStation 4 won't require to be always connected"

Ploid 3.0

Wow microsoft really knows how to butter people up to accept things as a standard. It's like how people were expecting sony to start charging for PS3 online play, and put things like Netflix behind that pay wall. They ended up giving people the best subscription service for games from what I hear (Still not a PS+ member. I already have too many games).

Gestault

I'd be very surprised if they did. Not so surprised if Microsoft did though, you know, the company that had the audacity to charge people to play online, or charge horrendous amounts for things like a HDD (which was later required for games) or internet adaptors etc.

Honest question: Does it bother you that Sony restricts features like streamlined software and firmware updates behind the PS+ paywall, when its a known frustration for general users? Or that they're the only of the first-party companies to use online passes for their titles and charge for online in used first-party titles?

I understand the criticisms of other companies, but acting as though one company can always be trusted and the other is always untrustworthy is silly, especially considering the current policies of the company you've chosen to assume the best about.

Bgamer90

Banned
The company line out of Sony has been unbelievably consistent. Maybe - just maybe - there's a reason for that?

Could be multiple reasons for it.

With one of them being really good planning of how to respond to questions -- especially in comparison to MS this past week or so.

It really speaks more to just how badly Microsoft did their press conference, and how utterly indefensible the 24 hour check up on you is as if you were some sort of prisoner and the warden had to check your cell in case you stole extra toothpaste, that the hope is now that PS4 has it, there is no defending this, so lets just hope this other thing has it too, so it cancels each other out.
well put.
bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

tumblr_maxup5z3yC1rom0i2.gif

26_reach.gif

hook-rw-reaching-o.gif

THIS TIMES A BILLION. people fail to understand that unlike Microsoft, Sony is actually relevant outside the US/UK(which is the only two countries I see an always online console taking of).

Ha HA! oh wow!

Sony is making a big push in Latin America with the PS3/PS4(manufacturing PS3 in Brazil, launching PS4 the same day as the US/EU), how good is the internet in south America? Is it common enough?

ReaperXL7

That little bomb bishoptl dropped yesterday is making more and more sense.

Absolutely agree, some skeptisism is fine, but when I read some of the stuff in these threads since the reveal its hard not to believe that some people are getting a paycheck. I wish we could have gone through with that thread he was talking about.

Bgamer90

Banned
Absolutely agree, some skeptisism is fine, but when I read some of the stuff in these threads since the reveal its hard not to believe that some people are getting a paycheck. I wish we could have gone through with that thread he was talking about.

Not getting any paycheck. As I've said before, I felt the same as to some of the things MS said last week.

Guess I was getting a paycheck from Sony then -- still haven't received it yet though. Need to contact them.

ReaperXL7

Not getting any paycheck. As I've said before, I felt the same as to some of the things MS said last week.

Guess I was getting a paycheck from Sony then -- still haven't received it yet though. Need to contact them.

Where in what I said were you the topic of conversation? Bish seemed to believe that there were viral marketers making their way into GAF all im saying is that some of the posts I have seen from both sides makes it pretty easy to believe.

Had nothing to do with you buddy so slow down before you get defensive.

Nerokis

What Microsoft said pre-XBONE reveal:

"Durango [the codename for the next Xbox] is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet." It continues, "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

What Cerny said:

I don't know but the Microsoft's statement doesn't exactly read out like "Yeah your console is basically an ugly brick if you don't have access to the internet for 24h". Just like I wouldn't say Cerny's statement proves one thing or another. There are more than few simililarities with these statements.

There are far more differences.

Some seem to be interpreting Cerny as saying, "Well, it doesn't always have to be online..." as a way of dodging giving a concrete answer, when in actuality he was describing the way in which the PS4 is a permanent connection system: the overall experience is much better when you're connected, and when you are, a lot of stuff will be happening leveraging that.

That's completely different from Microsoft saying the Xbox One is "tolerant" of today's internet. That word takes the meaning of his statement in a completely different direction, whereas Cerny's didn't actually imply anything about the internet being a necessity.

(Got a phone call while finishing up this post - I expect it to be totally meaningless by now. :p)

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't remember Bgamer90 coming to assess the situation when MS's were and have been vague about both their online and DRM (something even Sony has been less than crystal clear on) components.

It probably got buried underneath the tons upon tons of statements/posts of people who felt the same way.

I mean, we can all confirm that more people were expecting this from MS than Sony right? I think that's at least one thing we could all agree on (haha).

Bgamer90

Banned
Some seem to be interpreting Cerny as saying, "Well, it doesn't always have to be online..." as a way of dodging giving a concrete answer, when in actuality he was describing the way in which the PS4 is a permanent connection system: the overall experience is much better when you're connected, and when you are, a lot of stuff will be happening leveraging that.

No, I definitely get that. It's pretty much what we've been hearing for the past 8 years or so when it comes to consoles that can connect to the internet -- which is why I'm still taking a wait and see approach.

Where in what I said were you the topic of conversation? Bish seemed to believe that there were viral marketers making their way into GAF all im saying is that some of the posts I have seen from both sides makes it pretty easy to believe.

Had nothing to do with you buddy so slow down before you get defensive.

Find it hard to believe that you weren't referring to me when I've been the main person in this thread with my opinion.

But if you weren't referring to me then my mistake.

Cerny's answer is still too vague for me. Stop fucking blabbing about how much richer the experience is and gimme a goddamn yes or no on whether or not I can plug the console in and play games forever without ever connecting to the goddamn internet.

romulus91

So like the Xbox One ?

They need to clarify on it, same with used games.

WHY ON EARTH dont they come out and publicly state it..... id imagine they would get a boost in preorders before all guns come out at E3- people being less likely to change their order afterwards

Cerny's answer is still too vague for me. Stop fucking blabbing about how much richer the experience is and gimme a goddamn yes or no on whether or not I can plug the console in and play games forever without ever connecting to the goddamn internet.

You can. Anything else you want to know?

Corto

Another interesting bit of the interview about the HDD and why it is important on a next-gen console:

But there is another reason, based on the feedback of several developers that want to create what they call "live software", in other words a game that every time you return, each day, each week, the world evolves and new game opportunities open up.

Living worlds... Man. This is what I want for next gen.

Seriously what did the guy say for people to make it look like Xbone's stupid restrictions??
It's so clear, you can go without internet, if you don't want social go with no social at all!!
Sony looks like a winner more and more in my eyes!

I can play offline? That could mean anything!

I don't see the problem with being sceptical with anything that comes out of a console rep's mouth at this point.

Edit:
Seriously what did the guy say for people to make it look like Xbone's stupid restrictions??
It's so clear, you can go without internet, if you don't want social go with no social at all!!
Sony looks like a winner more and more in my eyes!

"Is the PS4 console is designed to be connected in a 'permanent' way? What I'm asking is it will need to be connected all the time? And if so, how will this affect plans for PSN?"

"Cerny: PlayStation 4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense"

'Permanent' implies a 24-hour connection. 'In that sense' implies it's not necessary to be constantly connected 24-hours, leaving the possibility of an online 'check' system, similar to the bollocks Phil Harrison referred to for the X1. That's how I read it, hence my scepticism.

Eusis

I don't really see a downside of being skeptical for now. Only tears later~
Yeah, cautiously optimistic but who the fuck knows what they'll do, especially with Microsoft already doing what was once unthinkable (let you use your console offline only? Haha, maybe you should move out of the country!)

Yeah just wait until all is answered at E3...

hopefully.

But at this point its gonna take a video showing that it can play offline for some to believe.

Sony is making a big push in Latin America with the PS3/PS4(manufacturing PS3 in Brazil, launching PS4 the same day as the US/EU), how good is the internet in south America? Is it common enough?

Here in Brazil, most of the people I know have permanent internet at their homes, but with such poor connection speed compared to most developed countries. It's enough to play in online games, but we all know it could be better.

Orayn

Confirm no DRM and you get my fucking money day 1.

I don't think they can confirm a complete absence of DRM, since that will likely be in the publishers' hands like it is now. A lack of system-level Sony DRM is something they could confirm to put people at ease.

Sorry to nitpick if that's what you meant all along.

It really speaks more to just how badly Microsoft did their press conference, and how utterly indefensible the 24 hour check up on you is as if you were some sort of prisoner and the warden had to check your cell in case you stole extra toothpaste, that the hope is now that PS4 has it, there is no defending this, so lets just hope this other thing has it too, so it cancels each other out.

Seriously! The M$ apologists are just downright pathetic wishing that Sony will implement this too, just so they can feel better about being screwed with their purchase.

You'd swear with some of these people, they would willingly fork over money if M$ dictated that the Xbone required a fee every time you turned it on.

I can just see the excuses now "Well ...... they need that money ...... ummmm .... for the might Cloud!!!!! I am sure Sony will implement this soon too!".

Just sad really. I mean, you want to try and defend this crap be my guest, but actively wishing to see on the competition? Sad!

Nerokis

No, I definitely get that. It's pretty much what we've been hearing for the past 8 years or so when it comes to consoles that can connect to the internet -- which is why I'm still taking a wait and see approach.

That's reasonable. It's still possible that the "connectedness" of the PS4, whatever that ends up entailing, will result in various annoyances, as there's much we don't know. People pretending like it's already certain it'll be totally in the clear from any Xbox One-esque issues are definitely jumping the gun.

I was mainly commenting on the way some were comparing Cerny's "PS4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense" line to what Microsoft people have said in the past. There are some overlapping words there, but Cerny was saying something pretty different: "no, it's not always online in the sense that you must be connected, but when you are it'll definitely be leveraging the internet" vs "well, yeah, the internet is necessary but not all the time."

Yea, that's what it has turned into it seems. People want the PS4 to have DRM just because they already know their Xbox1 will. Can't wait for E3 when all these people start to come to terms.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's reasonable. It's still possible that the "connectedness" of the PS4, whatever that ends up entailing, will result in various annoyances, as there's much we don't know. People pretending like it's already certain it'll be totally in the clear from any Xbox One-esque issues are definitely jumping the gun.

Definitely. 100% agree.

I was mainly commenting on the way some were comparing Cerny's "PS4 is not a permanent connection system in that sense" line to what Microsoft people have said in the past. There are some overlapping words there, but Cerny was saying something pretty different: "no, it's not always online in the sense that you must be connected, but when you are it'll definitely be leveraging the internet" vs "well, yeah, the internet is necessary but not all the time."

Yeah, I don't see that as being exactly the same.

I DO however see the possibility of the bold statement fitting into the underlined statement since both statements would still be true if that was the case.

Microsoft said that "it wasn't always on but it requires a connection".

Sony said "That is doesn't require a connection at ALL" and has said as much from jump. They even went as far as to mention other countries that arent well off, they mentioned anti-social gamers, they mentioned playing it old school and not to mention the fact that Sony doesn't have the tools like MS..and so on and so on.

Sony was vauge about the used games thing for sure...but the connection requirements is one thing I think they explained quite well and clear.

They can easily go back on this for sure but the statements are not the same and you have to do some crazy mental gynastics to get it to be the same or close.

Microsoft almost always prefaced any statement about always on with "but it does require a connection" that is the main difference.

Or maybe I am just stupidly optimistic about this aspect of it. I'd like to think that all the evidence that points to them not doing it is good enough. The leaks prior to the XBone reveal pretty much were legit...so why don't we believe Sony's were too?

I can't wait for this to be over so we can focus back on what really matters...the games.

PR must be working at MS if people are skeptical of Sony answers that are crystal clear.

I mean, Major Nelson responded to the whole 'anti used game' claims by saying "No we aren't! You can take a disc to a friend's house, sign in, and still use it!" pretending that none of us would be smart enough to see a crucial step there that doesn't need to fucking exist.

Sony said "That is doesn't require a connection at ALL" and has said as much from jump. They even went as far as to mention other countries that arent well off, they mentioned anti-social gamers, they mentioned playing it old school and not to mention the fact that Sony doesn't have the tools like MS..and so on and so on.

Sony was vauge about the used games thing for sure...but the connection requirements is one thing I think they explained quite well and clear.

They can easily go back on this for sure but the statements are not the same and you have to do some crazy mental gynastics to get it to be the same or close.

Microsoft almost always prefaced any statement about always on with "but it does require a connection" that is the main difference.

Or maybe I am just stupidly optimistic about this aspect of it. I'd like to think that all the evidence that points to them not doing it is good enough. The leaks prior to the XBone reveal pretty much were legit...so why don't we believe Sony's were too?

I can't wait for this to be over so we can focus back on what really matters...the games.
The focus will never be on the games. Once both systems are out, it will go back to pixel counting multiplatforms and arguing about whether Halo has a higher polygon count than Killzone. This is just what fanboys do, they are obsessed with "proving" that their system is better than the other in any way possible. This time it will be worse than ever, as Sony and Microsoft are preaching the power of the cloud, so people will be counting pixels in cloud vs. non-cloud versions, and blahblahblah.

nib95

Banned
Honest question: Does it bother you that Sony restricts features like streamlined software and firmware updates behind the PS+ paywall, when its a known frustration for general users? Or that they're the only of the first-party companies to use online passes for their titles and charge for online in used first-party titles?

I understand the criticisms of other companies, but acting as though one company can always be trusted and the other is always untrustworthy is silly, especially considering the current policies of the company you've chosen to assume the best about.

I don't understand this post. Since when were updates etc behind a pay wall or anything to do with PSN+? And yes I was and am vehemently against online passes, but luckily it was only limited to online modes.

The focus will never be on the games. Once both systems are out, it will go back to pixel counting multiplatforms and arguing about whether Halo has a higher polygon count than Killzone. This is just what fanboys do, they are obsessed with "proving" that their system is better than the other in any way possible. This time it will be worse than ever, as Sony and Microsoft are preaching the power of the cloud, so people will be counting pixels in cloud vs. non-cloud versions, and blahblahblah.

and it's only going to get shittier as E3 gets here.

letting a bunch of new posters in too?

awww shit son.

let the bodies hit the floor.

This is going to be horrible. I can see it now....

Abylim

Honest question: does it bother you that MS restricts features like online multiplayer, that the developers worked on, and is included when you purchase the game, behind a paywall via Xbox Gold, when its a known frustration, and rip off, of general users? Or that they are the only console manufacturer that do this?

On topic: the situation is not similar. Show me where multiple higher ups confirmed Xbox one to not require internet at all, and I'll agree. We have Yoshida out right saying it doesnt require it, and that it wasnt even considered. He then says that most countries cant do online always.
Ms has one official sort of denying it, pre conference. Where is this confusion coming from?

Bgamer90

Banned
In terms of gaming, yes. But it terms of the console as a whole? It doesn't depending on what you care about. That's the "twist".

Sony said "That is doesn't require a connection at ALL" and has said as much from jump.

As I've said before a person CAN enjoy the Xbox One without being connected to the internet at all but it's within precise examples/situations (outside of gaming).

This is how many companies make public statements -- Many tell the truth but it isn't the full truth.

This in itself is why I choose to wait for more details. If you are different then that's fine but I don't get why I was criticized so heavily (haha). I don't see any of the big major gaming sites using this news as an "100% confirmation".

They even went as far as to mention other countries that arent well off...

One wouldn't need a robust/fast internet connection for a simple "Is this person connected to the internet?" check up.

they mentioned anti-social gamers,

"Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.""

He mentioned anti-social gamers in terms of not connecting to anyone else. You can still use online features while being anti-social at the same time.

they mentioned playing it old school

The statement said "enjoyed old school" not "played old school". One could make the assumption that he's taking about playing games and that would be perfectly understandable but that's not what he directly said which is why I'm personally not going to use it as a "100% confirmation".

Or maybe I am just stupidly optimistic about this aspect of it. I'd like to think that all the evidence that points to them not doing it is good enough.

No, I wouldn't say you you are being stupidly optimistic -- you just view the statements in a different way than I do. I'm not going to criticize you for doing that.

All I've done in this thread was explain the reason why I wasn't going to take the statement(s) as an "100% confirmation" and will continue on waiting for info that I would find to be more precise.

As I've said previously, I can understand how some may think that I'm nitpicking but I'm just looking at everything as a person who has seen many times how companies made statements that weren't the whole truth.

Agreed.

Top Bottom