• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OXM: Why splitting Xbox One's OS RAM allocation is good for developers

Barzul

If MS stopped charging for XBOX Live it would be so gangster and a knife in Sony's side. They can afford to do it as they'd still make money on store purchases including games & media.
Not gonna happen, they make a killing from Xbl. But it would definitely make me say wow.

Finalizer

Readily admitting I've skimmed several posts, but some of the replies after cboat's note are driving me nuts with the lack of context application. How anyone can read cboat's posts, given the context of what he's talking about, and jump to "XBLG FREE! KINECT-LESS SKU!" is beyond me.

His original post replies to someone commenting "I really don't see the appeal of multitasking for a console when I have a mobile device that can do the same things but its much easier." His response is "[You're not the only 1 according to existing MS internal metrics. Xbox App eco system digitals incoming for mid September.]" Given than, it baffles me how anyone could draw this cancellation to "lol kinect" or "lol XBLIG" or some other ridiculous thing is beyond me. Especially when we already know Kinect is an integral part of the Xbone strategy. (as cboat himself restated in this thread) Given that he specifically mentions metrics pulled from 360 data, it further reinforces that whatever is being changed/cancelled is being done as a refocus based on data coming from 360 app usage. I'm guessing, as a few others pointed out, that apps will no longer be placed behind the XBLG paywall on the Xbone, and maybe even the 360, to make them more competitive with Playstation. I'd assume whatever metrics MS have show a downward trend of app usage on 360s, and MS is going to try to reverse that.

Wonder if all apps can get access to the game output video/audio or if Twitch is a special case.

If it's all apps, including store apps by 3rd parties (and I would bet It is, at least down the road), some of the apparent limitations like only 5 minutes of automatic recording could be dispelled really easily. Depending on how much memory goes into that might actually end up being a good choice.

And, all kinda of services could add support, like facebook, Skype, youtube, hangouts...

Readily admitting I've skimmed several posts, but some of the replies after cboat's note are driving me nuts with the lack of context application. How anyone can read cboat's posts, given the context of what he's talking about, and jump to "XBLG FREE! KINECT-LESS SKU!" is beyond me.

His original post replies to someone commenting "I really don't see the appeal of multitasking for a console when I have a mobile device that can do the same things but its much easier." His response is "[You're not the only 1 according to existing MS internal metrics. Xbox App eco system digitals incoming for mid September.]" Given than, it baffles me how anyone could draw this cancellation to "lol kinect" or "lol XBLIG" or some other ridiculous thing is beyond me. Especially when we already know Kinect is an integral part of the Xbone strategy. (as cboat himself restated in this thread) Given that he specifically mentions metrics pulled from 360 data, it further reinforces that whatever is being changed/cancelled is being done as a refocus based on data coming from 360 app usage. I'm guessing, as a few others pointed out, that apps will no longer be placed behind the XBLG paywall on the Xbone, and maybe even the 360, to make them more competitive with Playstation. I'd assume whatever metrics MS have show a downward trend of app usage on 360s, and MS is going to try to reverse that.
How does this amaze us?

I think it's App eco system details, not digitals. At least makes more sense to me :p

Edit: Yeah, I'm slow XD

This is where I feel it may ultimately end up. Wouldn't be a bad move. I'd be happy to pay for XBOX Live every year (like I have for the last 10) if dedicated servers were the norm!

Barzul

This makes sense, won't make me go wow though, might do so for some people though I guess.

Finalizer

How does this amaze us?

Folks are probably just putting way too much focus on the "you will say wow" tidbit. I think he meant it as more of a "wow, MS is really committed to changing the Xbox's brand image!" and less of a "wow, MS have gone completely insane!" kind of thing. That's how I'm interpreting it, anyway.

Barzul

Folks are probably just putting way too much focus on the "you will say wow" tidbit. I think he meant it as more of a "wow, MS is really committed to changing the Xbox's brand image!" and less of a "wow, MS have gone completely insane!" kind of thing. That's how I'm interpreting it, anyway.
You have a point, it's hard to not expect more negative news from MS, doing this will boost their PR image even more. It's hard to judge nuance in the way cboat writes. Must be killing some MS execs trying to find out who he/she is.

I don't think they are. 5 years from now we'll have lots of social media apps that's well use on our TV's.

I agree. This gen I wasn't sold on all the apps at first.. now that we're in 2013, I see that those types of things are coming to be what's wanted by majority.

I think 2018 is going to be a very good year for both consoles.

NFL fantasy football only. Not ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, etc. How many people actually use the official NFL league for the fantasy football?

Not really any one in a serious league at least. It has me wondering if it is the NFL deal. NFL players are doing commercials promoting Yahoo fantasy for goodness sake. You would think MS would of not allowed that with the deal that was being done.

GamerTime

Banned
Game usage on 360 increased yoy too. Entertainment just increased more and surpassed.

That's only because sales increased as the years went by, yet you don't know if many of those 360 owners (Who use their 360 for other things instead of games) will buy a $500 console for other things if they no longer play games.

FINALBOSS

Banned
NFL fantasy football only. Not ESPN, CBS, Yahoo, etc. How many people actually use the official NFL league for the fantasy football?

Very very few people.

And not only that, but by the Xbone launches, it'll be mid-season.

Anyone serious about football won't bother with the Xbone shit this year.

Next year the package will be be better--even then, not sure how it'll ever be able to compete with DirecTV. Once again, if you're serious about football, you already own DirecTV package.

Very very few people.

And not only that, but by the Xbone launches, it'll be mid-season.

Anyone serious about football won't bother with the Xbone shit this year.

Next year the package will be be better--even then, not sure how it'll ever be able to compete with DirecTV. Once again, if you're serious about football, you already own DirecTV package.

This is what I was thinking too. I can't imagine that dropping this would amaze us much, though, unless it was directly tied to Xbox One's price in some way.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
the big cancellation is probably no more apps/netflix, F2P,etc. behind a paywall...
That would get an "about damn time" from most of us at best. They are greedy enough to charge for it while access to those services remain free pretty much everywhere else.
Regardless, I <3 you CBOAT, please be careful and don't ever stop dropping truthfact(s) on us.

Troll

Banned

That's a really good question. Can anyone provide a link to how many members each of the sites have each year for fantasy? I'd like to see exactly how popular each site is.

E: looking at the NBA demo the fantasy basketball score was ESPN, so it's pretty obvious to me that ESPN will be making fantasy apps for the XBOX.

I2amza

Once you put it like that, it makes a lot of sense.

Would not being behind a paywall be a wow? Hat should be standard. It has to be something other than Kinect that they've really hyped. No multitasking or DVR would be a wow because of that unveiling busllshit event they had.

BigDug13

Oh geez, I hadn't considered this part. That makes the NFL integration almost completely pointless! For some reason I had assumed it was just a sort of fantasy football player tracker where you plugged in the names of your fantasy team players and it would track their stats for the week as you watched the games. But if it was a direct interface into your fantasy football team but was limited to the NFL.com fantasy football only? Waste.

xaosslug

the word cancellation does not fit with that type of announcement. IMO

it all depends on your perspective. I mean from MS' perspective it's certainly something 'big' they would be 'cancelling', IMO.

That would get an "about damn time" from most of us at best. They are greedy enough to charge for it while access to those services remain free pretty much everywhere else.
Regardless, I <3 you CBOAT, please be careful and don't ever stop dropping truthfact(s) on us.

i don't think CBOAT was being literal w/ his use of terms... in this case 'wow' can mean 'about damn time' etc. to any number of folks.

That's only because sales increased as the years went by, yet you don't know if many of those 360 owners (Who use their 360 for other things instead of games) will buy a $500 console for other things if they no longer play games.

Average usage doesn't necessarily increase with sales. People are using 360 for more time now than the year before, be it to game or for entertainment.

Not that I disagree with you about people that bought 360 for Kinect or media are definitely not going to pick a xbone any time soon unless reveals some mindblowing experienced in the next fee months...

Troll

Banned
Oh geez, I hadn't considered this part. That makes the NFL integration almost completely pointless! For some reason I had assumed it was just a sort of fantasy football player tracker where you plugged in the names of your fantasy team players and it would track their stats for the week as you watched the games. But if it was a direct interface into your fantasy football team but was limited to the NFL.com fantasy football only? Waste.

ESPN was showing an NBA fantasy app. Why wouldn't they also be making one for the NFL?

If anything, this gen the PS3 was most people's extra machine. My PS3 was a glorified BluRay player for the longest time. This is evident by the 360s much higher attach rate.

BigDug13

ESPN was showing an NBA fantasy app. Why wouldn't they also be making one for the NFL?

So if Fantasy Football app integration is handled by the individual websites, why was a huge payout to the NFL even needed? Are you sure they're allowed to do an ESPN NFL app just because they did an NBA one? Are you sure there aren't stipulations to the hundreds of millions spent towards the NFL by MS?

Troll

Banned
So if Fantasy Football app integration is handled by the individual websites, why was a huge payout to the NFL even needed? Are you sure they're allowed to do an ESPN NFL app just because they did an NBA one? Are you sure there aren't stipulations to the hundreds of millions spent towards the NFL by MS?

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't think that anyone does because the deal with the NFL isn't really "out there" right now. We know it's a five year deal that will pack the NFL with Microsoft branding. Including handing each sideline as many Surface tablets as they can carry to get rid of the black and white photographs they currently use among other things. The replay tents will have Microsoft branding, it's going to be crazy. That much we do know.

But now theres a chance of having a silky smooth OS experience at the expense of game preformance.

I really don't believe it will come at the expense of game performance, because I think 5GB is more than enough. If developers can't work wonders with 5GB of ram after showing us what they can do with less than 512MB, since neither the 360 or PS3 has access to a full 512MB of ram for games, then that's a bit ridiculous by any standard. The graphics performance capabilities of the Xbox One I think are largely underappreciated. From what I see it's a damn capable system, and another system with superior raw specifications doesn't change that. I'm sounding like a broken record at this point, but what's most important is that the Xbox One packs enough power to enable game developers to create amazing looking and playing next gen games.

Xbudz

the word cancellation does not fit with that type of announcement. IMO

The big cancellation would be the mass of users who were paying for Live to only access those services. There will be a wave of cancellations if that requirement is dropped.

The big cancellation would be the mass of users who were paying for Live to only access those services. There will be a wave of cancellations if that requirement is dropped.

I guess it all depends on how they incentivize Xbox Live Gold. If they remove the apps from the pay wall they'll need something besides multiplayer to keep people paying. If they go this route I bet something closer to PS+ happens (lots of free stuff).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Microsoft is aware that not everyone is interested in apps etc. More details of the apps and digital ecosystem will appear in September, but there could also be a potentially big cancellation of some kind, which if Cboat confirms, will surprise and amaze us.

pulling the HDMI passthrough. Remember the original PS3 having twin HDMI outputs and a gigabit ethernet switch built in?

they figured nobody will want to watch live TV through their console (especially without DVR support), so they cut it to save costs and people can still use it for watching netflix etc.

schuey7

I feel that maybe all the free apps such as netflix and f2p games may not require XBL gold going forward as the metrics of netflix usage on wii and ps3 prov.It would definitely be a good setp.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Big things related to OS functionality that could make us go wow...

1. No mandatory or included Kinect (Cboat has implied that this is unlikely previously).
2. No more DVR or TV functionality.
3. No more multi-tasking functionality.

Less wow.

3. Dropped NFL partnership.
4. Cancelled Halo TV series.
5. Cancelled game or title.

They paid something like $400 million for that NFL partnership didn't they? I'd consider that wow-worthy if that was dropped.

edit: yeah I bet it's the halo thing.

BibiMaghoo

Gold membership will be changed to be required only for:

Online Multiplayer.
Games for Gold (which will continue in an updated form next year)

This is how they will compete. By offering the same service as Sony to loyal Xbox customers. They will kill the PS4 advantage in free games and paywalled apps, by offering the same, just under slightly different terms.

This will make me say wow. I find it quite likely as well.

Chumpion

What's good for NSA is good for developers.

Now, CITIZEN... get down on all fours so senator Ballmer can see your asshole.

HyperV

Banned
Gold for online gaming???

LOL that will never be cancelled.

"MS won't drop DRM!" - They did.
"MS won't support Indies" - They will.

At this point, all bets are off (apart from Kinect - I'd be livid if that was dropped, I want more than a Xbox 360 V2.0).

They won't drop apps. That means dropping the Windows OS from the box and the potential that goes with sneaking Windows into people's living room.

NIGHT-

Gold membership will be changed to be required only for:

Online Multiplayer.
Games for Gold (which will continue in an updated form next year)

This is how they will compete. By offering the same service as Sony to loyal Xbox customers. They will kill the PS4 advantage in free games and paywalled apps, by offering the same, just under slightly different terms.

This will make me say wow. I find it quite likely as well.

I could see this happening

Top Bottom