• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 runs 4xMSAA; 1920x800 vs 1920x1080 "not set in stone yet"

VanWinkle

Everything tech wise sounds so awesome in this game...but the actual screenshots leave something to be desired (some definitely look better than others, though). I'm hoping the actual footage will leave a bigger better impression on me than the screenshots we've got.

Like, this screen:

image_the_order_1886-23530-2752_0005.jpg

truly does not look good to me. But the trailer, which we know is real time, completely blew me away. Could be a case where the game's visuals don't translate as well to screenshots.

nelchaar

4X MSAA sounds pretty awesome.

Also, whatever AA is in the KZ:SF multiplayer should be avoided like wild fire.

In fact, it should be taken out back,shot and then burned with thermite.

Whatever AA is in the KZ:SF multiplayer should be avoided like wild fire.

In fact, it should be taken out back,shot and then burned with thermite.

FXAA + heavy, heavy motion blur

yea it looks terrible, but it's their way of trying to hide the wild framerate.

Falaut

Everything tech wise sounds so awesome in this game...but the actual screenshots leave something to be desired (some definitely look better than others, though). I'm hoping the actual footage will leave a bigger better impression on me than the screenshots we've got.

Like, this screen:

truly does not look good to me. But the trailer, which we know is real time, completely blew me away. Could be a case where the game's visuals don't translate as well to screenshots.

Is that a radioactive symbol on the stove front?! Fallout 5 confirmed! ;)

On Demand

Banned
Lemme ask you this. Is it the unused screen space that bothers you or is it that you feel the picture becomes too small?

With games it's just distracting to me seeing two black borders above and below the screen. Yes the image looks smaller too. It's weird cause with movies I like it when they're shot in 2.40:1 rather than 1.78:1 or 1.85:1. It feels more like a film.

For example, The 2D version of Titanic looks better than the 3D version as far as feeling more like a movie goes.

But when I'm playing games i need the screen to be filled to be fully immersed.

nampad

They should do what they think is right. Haven't played any letterboxed game as far as I know so I don't know if will bother me.

Just don't say the game is 1080p, full HD like in the Play3 interview when it is in fact not.

Guymelef

They should do what they think is right. Haven't played any letterboxed game as far as I know so I don't know if will bother me.

Just don't say the game is 1080p, full HD like in the Play3 interview when it is in fact not.

Say that to the Blu-ray Association.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Like, this screen:

I think that may be why we haven't seen the game yet. They probably wanted to polish it up. That screen is from summer when GI was writing the story so probably shortly after E3. I also think that the subtle physics of the clothes moving as well as the destructibility will add a lot of the next gen punch that doesn't translate to screens.

MilkBeard

Some high quality AA is preferable to resolution in my honest opinion.

I agree. It's still going to 'feel' like 1080. Even though 1080 would have been preferable, they are taking the effects route and I want to see how much this makes a difference. The game better be locked 30 though.

MilkBeard

As for the 'letterboxing,' I don't give two fucks. Dragon's Dogma has it and I barely even notice. Bring on your artistic vision, RAD.

This again? But IT IS 1080p.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As for the 'letterboxing,' I don't give two fucks. Dragon's Dogma has it and I barely even notice. Bring on your artistic vision, RAD.

I thought DD's was distracting in the demo but only because there was so much in the way of HUD. I literally never noticed it in Beyond. I have a feeling DD wasn't planned to be letterboxed and just did it for the performance benefits. I'm sure RAD is planning on compensating with the HUD.

It's also funny, I haven't seen many people complaining about Wolfenstien: The New Order or Evil Within being letterboxed and I've seen very few complaints about it with DD but 1886 seems to get everyone all riled up for some reason.

I'm just calling it anamorphic 2k. That acknowledges the IQ and lack of vertical res. They're going for the filmic look so I'll use the film term here.

sn00zer

In regards to the use of camera angles? Read my post again, breh. Add some sarcastic snark to it and you'll see that I'm with #TeamBlackBars and what it could bring to the game.

or more accurately #TeamLetRADDoWhateverTheHellTheyWantToWithTheirNewIP
End of story

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I thought MSAA didn't really work with deferred rendering?

They specifically went with a Forward Plus renderer so they could use deferred effects and MSAA. I really hope it catches on for PS4 exclusive games. Huge efficiency gains across the board and much better IQ.

That was the first of several tweets I made to clarify my disappointment. I was upset by he lack of MP, but OF COURSE the only tweet I made me sound rude is posted.

The way people were reacted in this thread I though posted several aggressive tweets. That one tweet wasn't rude at all. All you were doing was expressing disappointment, maybe in not the best way (assuming the length, etc.) but the pile on is ridiculous.

MilkBeard

I thought DD's was distracting in the demo but only because there was so much in the way of HUD. I literally never noticed it in Beyond. I have a feeling DD wasn't planned to be letterboxed and just did it for the performance benefits. I'm sure RAD is planning on compensating with the HUD.

Yeah, no doubt they did it for that reason. Dragon's Dogma already has some serious dips in framerate, I can only imagine what it would be like if they had tried to do the full screen. As for The Order, it seems like they are considering it from the angle of visual style, and also what benefits can be opened up because of it (like adding extra AA) instead of tacking it on merely to help performance.

I feel like...years from now...we will still be arguing about black bars and resolution for this game lol

RE4 had black bars, Dragon's Dogma had black bars, Beyond had black bars, Evil Within has black bars (and i'm probably missing a few more)...and I haven't seen as much debate for those games as much as the order is getting over such a silly thing.

VanWinkle

The way people were reacted in this thread I though posted several aggressive tweets. That one tweet wasn't rude at all. All you were doing was expressing disappointment, maybe in not the best way (assuming the length, etc.) but the pile on is ridiculous.

Thanks. Yeah, I was surprised by how people completely jumped on me for that one thing. I don't know why it was posted anyway in this thread about AA and resolution.

When they said they were using MSAA, I figured it would be 2x MSAA with post process AA on top. 4x MSAA is really unexpected and awesome. I would fucking love it if more PS4 games used Forward Plus rendering and MSAA.

I agree and would love that too.

Hardware based anti aliasing is so much better than those shitty post process solutions like FXAA, TXAA... .It makes a huge difference.

You get very sharp and smooth picture quality without any blur. I really hate those software based vaseline filter.

Saying it's the same as normal 1080p is disingenuous and you (and everyone making that argument) cannot be so blind as not to recognise that.

1920x800 is less than 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is "1080p". This game is letterboxed 1080p and that's different than just saying "1080p." Saying 1080p means a very specific thing, 1920x1080.

I'm not sure why there's so many posters trying to downplay that difference and going "NO FOR THE LAST TIME IT IS 1080p!" It's not the same.

if the black bars don't bother you that's totally fine (and great for you!) but the lost screen space does annoy a lot of people, especially those with smaller televisions.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Saying it's the same as normal 1080p is disingenuous and you (and everyone making that argument) cannot be so blind as not to recognise that.

1920x800 is less than 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is "1080p". This game is letterboxed 1080p and that's a different than just saying "1080p."

I'm not sure why there's so many posters trying to downplay that difference and going "NO FOR THE LAST TIME IT IS 1080p!" It's not the same.

Saying it isn't 1080p content being displayed gives the impression that the content will be scaled.

Because it's basically 1920x1080 but in a 21:9 AR, so 1920x810, there won't be any scaling done to the image, so 1:1 pixel mapping.

I feel like "it's 1080p with black bars" is a more appropriate description of it than "it's 810p" or "it's not 1080p."

The important part about 1080p content on 1080p displays isn't that it's 1920x1080 on a 1920x1080 screen, it's that the image isn't being scaled and as a result, isn't being distorted.

1920x810 isn't being scaled and thus, not distorted.

Piggus

1920x800 is less than 1920x1080. 1920x1080 is "1080p". This game is letterboxed 1080p and that's a different than just saying "1080p."

if the black bars don't bother you that's totally fine (and great for you!) but the lost screen space does annoy a lot of people, especially those with smaller televisions.

True, but it's important to note that it's not running at a non-native resolution and then stretched. So in terms of clearity it's the same as a native 1080p image.

it is 1080p. the same thing dragon's dogma and beyond two souls were letterboxed games and were considered 720p games.

people are so hung up on labelling it's ridiculous.

Saying it isn't 1080p content being displayed gives the impression that the content will be scaled.

Because it's basically 1920x1080 but in a 21:9 AR, so 1920x810, there won't be any scaling done to the image, so 1:1 pixel mapping.

I feel like "it's 1080p with black bars" is a more appropriate description of it than "it's 810p" or "it's not 1080p."

The important part about 1080p content on 1080p displays isn't that it's 1920x1080 on a 1920x1080 screen, it's that the image isn't being scaled and as a result, isn't being distorted.

1920x810 isn't being scaled and thus, not distorted.

I agree, that's why I called it "letterboxed 1080p" instead of 800p. 800p is not the accurate term either.

True, but it's important to note that it's not running at a non-native resolution and then stretched. So in terms of clearity it's the same as a native 1080p image.

I agree.

it is 1080p. the same thing dragon's dogma and beyond two souls were letterboxed games and were considered 720p games.

people are so hung up on labelling it's ridiculous.

They are different so they do deserve different terms. Simple as that.

They are different so they do deserve different terms. Simple as that.

too bad for you no one is going to use the term "letterboxed 1080p" just as no one used "letterboxed 720p" for beyond two souls and dragon's dogma, or "letterboxed 480p" for resident evil 4.

Top Bottom