• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASUS ROG ALLY | OT + Review Thread | Steam Deck but ROGher

Cyborg

I want to buy one and have some questions. Anyone care to help?

- can you run all the emulators (nes, snes, sega, ps1, ps2) on it? And is it easy?
- whats the quality of the emulators?
- can you hook it up to your monitor via HDMI?
- when its hooked to the monitor; can you use your controller? If so is that Xbox or PS controller?

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I want to buy one and have some questions. Anyone care to help?

1. - can you run all the emulators (nes, snes, sega, ps1, ps2) on it? And is it easy?
  2. - whats the quality of the emulators?
  3. - can you hook it up to your monitor via HDMI?
  4. - when its hooked to the monitor; can you use your controller? If so is that Xbox or PS controller?

1. Yes. And yes, it's running Windows.
  2. Amazing
  3. Yes.
  4. Yes. Both. It's a PC.

Mr Hyde

Created my first custom performance profiles during last week. One in handheld mode at 18 wattage and one in docked mode at 25 wattage. For the fan curves I chose the 3rd option and it makes the Ally reasonably quiet and cool (getting about 62-69 degrees). Especially 18 wattage seems to be the perfect sweetspot for performance and battery. Getting great results and decent battery life. Really recommend it instead of the fixed profiles Asus is providing.

I've also gotten back into GoG after a horrible first impression with games not working correctly. But I discovered they have excellent refund policy so if a game doesn't work for some reason (mostly it's controller input that is my main issue) GoG is refunding almost instantly after I put in a request. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me, especially coming from Sonys customer support where it takes 4 weeks to even get a reply. Another great thing about GoG is that I can play all games offline without the client, unlike Steam, making it perfect for the Ally when I'm outside. And a lot of games are cheap as hell too when on sale so I've been stacking up quite the collection. For instance, I grabbed the entire Arkham-trilogy plus Origins for 20 bucks. And they run at flawless 60 fps and looks fucking great on that 1080p screen. I also grabbed Rayman Origins for like 5 bucks, a favorite of mine during the PS3-era. Super fun game. Simply put, GoG is great 😃

Last edited:
I bought one on Thursday and returned it yesterday. It was actually a horrible experience but I'm sure I got a dud.

Out of the box I noticed that the left bumper was sort of sticky, but figured I needed to mess with it a bunch. I downloaded a bunch of games I commonly play on Steam like Battlefield 2042, Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 4 (I tried 5 the next time but I much prefer 4), Halo Infinite, and GTA IV for something older.

Battlefield 2042 ran like absolute trash and looked terrible. It was like 20-35fps at 720p lowest settings. Forza Horizon performed fine but it was stuttering pretty bad (I chalked it up to downloading in the background at first). Halo Infinite ran fine, and it was mostly 45-60fps at auto settings with 60fps minimum.

However I noticed in Halo that my gun would just start firing on its own and there was no way to stop it. Then with GTA IV the controller just completely stopped working entirely. I rebooted it twice and the issue persisted. None of the buttons would work at all in game and out of game. I even erased the device and nothing so I actually just put it back in the box. I later reinstalled and got the controller working with a full firmware install but it didn't sit right with me.

It also got FUCKING HOT at the top air vent. We use these things we call hot pockets at work to open devices and this felt almost as hot as the copper insides of those.

The screen looked great, but I also disliked the shape of the device and felt like the Steam Deck while I had it was much more comfortable.

I returned it and the girl at Best Buy mentioned they had 6 open box models already.

Last edited:
I bought one on Thursday and returned it yesterday. It was actually a horrible experience but I'm sure I got a dud.

Out of the box I noticed that the left bumper was sort of sticky, but figured I needed to mess with it a bunch. I downloaded a bunch of games I commonly play on Steam like Battlefield 2042, Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 4 (I tried 5 the next time but I much prefer 4), Halo Infinite, and GTA IV for something older.

Battlefield 2042 ran like absolute trash and looked terrible. It was like 20-35fps at 720p lowest settings. Forza Horizon performed fine but it was stuttering pretty bad (I chalked it up to downloading in the background at first). Halo Infinite ran fine, and it was mostly 45-60fps at auto settings with 60fps minimum.

However I noticed in Halo that my gun would just start firing on its own and there was no way to stop it. Then with GTA IV the controller just completely stopped working entirely. I rebooted it twice and the issue persisted. None of the buttons would work at all in game and out of game. I even erased the device and nothing so I actually just put it back in the box. I later reinstalled and got the controller working with a full firmware install but it didn't sit right with me.

It also got FUCKING HOT at the top air vent. We use these things we call hot pockets at work to open devices and this felt almost as hot as the copper insides of those.

The screen looked great, but I also disliked the shape of the device and felt like the Steam Deck while I had it was much more comfortable.

I returned it and the girl at Best Buy mentioned they had 6 open box models already.
1. For halo and other games you have to tap the screen for it to stop auto firing if you slightly touch it will continuously fire I’m sure there’s a way to take it off in settings just forgot how to as I don’t touch the screen much

2. You can control your vents in armory crate your device doesn’t have to get super hot

3. Some games you’ll need to optimize in your settings I can run battlefield 2042 with 40 or more fps I used the 900p trick

4. This device won’t be for everyone if you want ease of use I recommended the steam deck or switch now if you don’t mind tinkering for an hour or two and don’t mind windows and take the precautions for ease of use like a power bank etc then you’ll be satisfy in the end with the ally

1. For halo and other games you have to tap the screen for it to stop auto firing if you slightly touch it will continuously fire I’m sure there’s a way to take it off in settings just forgot how to as I don’t touch the screen much

2. You can control your vents in armory crate your device doesn’t have to get super hot

3. Some games you’ll need to optimize in your settings I can run battlefield 2042 with 40 or more fps I used the 900p trick

4. This device won’t be for everyone if you want ease of use I recommended the steam deck or switch now if you don’t mind tinkering for an hour or two and don’t mind windows and take the precautions for ease of use like a power bank etc then you’ll be satisfy in the end with the ally
Yeah. It’s not for me which is why I returned it so quick. If I enjoyed it more I would have put more effort into it but it wasn’t important enough for me to try it.

I saw people running battlefield at decent frames but even at 720p it looks and ran like garbage.

Yeah. It’s not for me which is why I returned it so quick. If I enjoyed it more I would have put more effort into it but it wasn’t important enough for me to try it.

I saw people running battlefield at decent frames but even at 720p it looks and ran like garbage.
Agreed the 720p is trash lol i agree most people who want ease of use will return it, I personally think ASUS was not ready for this I think they deff said whatever let’s get this out and see what happens and got caught on their face when demand for device started time will tell what happens but if they keep giving support to it it’ll be amazing down the line.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I downloaded a bunch of games I commonly play on Steam like Battlefield 2042, Battlefield 1, Forza Horizon 4 (I tried 5 the next time but I much prefer 4), Halo Infinite, and GTA IV for something older.
GTA IV with gyroscope aiming would be perfect for this device but the shitass rockstar games launcher means you gotta downgrade the game in order to make it playable on the go. :(

TwinB242

BF2042 looked great and ran pretty well when I tested it, but its just not a good game to play on this kind of system. The distance at which battles take place is too long for such a small screen. You just can't make anything out and as a result are at a significant disadvantage.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

ETA Prime tries Starfield on the Ally. If you're planning on playing it and have the game crash, you might have to update AMD graphics driver. This update is not apparently on the Armory Crate, you have to download it from Asus homepage.

EDIT: He just set it to private. Strange.

Last edited:
Is someone know if the screen is flicker free ? Real question because im sensible to it, can't use the steam deck because the screen is terrible and flicker a lot...

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

ETA Prime tries Starfield on the Ally. If you're planning on playing it and have the game crash, you might have to update AMD graphics driver. This update is not apparently on the Armory Crate, you have to download it from Asus homepage.

Oh Eta Prime....benchmarking games at 50W TDP with the SoC burning up to 95 degrees Celsius. I really, really doubt a handheld is supposed to endure that kind of heat from the SoC for an extended period of time. Rog Ally has already issues with its heat distribution. I can't recommend anyone going up to 50W TDP. 30W is the absolute maximum for me, I'd personally be really wary of temps going above 80C on a handheld. Also pretty sure on the 7840U, you hit some massive diminishing returns after 28-30W TDP anyways.

Edit: 720p, 50% resolution scale, 50W TDP, 90 degree Celsius, just to still be sub 60 fps. This video is borderline satire. There is no way anyone should be playing Starfield on Ally like that. That's pretty much the worst possible configuration you could go for.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Computers are designed to throttle if heat becomes an issue. If they fail to do so, they were broken to begin with.

Mr Hyde

Oh Eta Prime....benchmarking games at 50W TDP with the SoC burning up to 95 degrees Celsius. I really, really doubt a handheld is supposed to endure that kind of heat from the SoC for an extended period of time. Rog Ally has already issues with its heat distribution. I can't recommend anyone going up to 50W TDP. 30W is the absolute maximum for me, I'd personally be really wary of temps going above 80C on a handheld. Also pretty sure on the 7840U, you hit some massive diminishing returns after 28-30W TDP anyways.

Edit: 720p, 50% resolution scale, 50W TDP, 90 degree Celsius, just to still be sub 60 fps. This video is borderline satire. There is no way anyone should be playing Starfield on Ally like that. That's pretty much the worst possible configuration you could go for.

Yeah, I kinda laughed when he cranked it up to 50W. I don't think you can play games for an extended period of time like that. I run games at 18W in handheld mode with temps at 69-72, nice and cool. But 80-90? No wonder SD cards are being fried 😆

Klosshufvud

Yeah, I kinda laughed when he cranked it up to 50W. I don't think you can play games for an extended period of time like that. I run games at 18W in handheld mode with temps at 69-72, nice and cool. But 80-90? No wonder SD cards are being fried 😆
Yeah that shit will just damage your handheld no doubt. Handhelds are way more sensitive to thermal expansion than say consoles/PCs and you have a buttload of other components in there besides the SoC that may be very sensitive to that frying hot heat. I feel bad for anyone watching the video and thinking 50W is how you should set the device when docked.

Klosshufvud

This video Phawx made kinda does tell that you hit diminishing returns fast with Starfield on these RDNA3 handhelds and you're better off just saving yourself the battery life from the get go. It's poorly optimized for sure.

Sleepwalker

Yeah that shit will just damage your handheld no doubt. Handhelds are way more sensitive to thermal expansion than say consoles/PCs and you have a buttload of other components in there besides the SoC that may be very sensitive to that frying hot heat. I feel bad for anyone watching the video and thinking 50W is how you should set the device when docked.

All of that to play at 1080p on low too.

Mr Hyde

This video Phawx made kinda does tell that you hit diminishing returns fast with Starfield on these RDNA3 handhelds and you're better off just saving yourself the battery life from the get go. It's poorly optimized for sure.

GPD Win mini looks so fucking cool. Love that clamshell design and small form factor. Feels like an actual portable.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

How do you download it from the Asus site? I just use armoury crate, seems weird it's not in there

Checked the video :) hopefully it's on armoury crate soon. I'd happily play at 720p and 30fps on the Ally.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

How do you download it from the Asus site? I just use armoury crate, seems weird it's not in there

Yeah, it's pretty weird. But Asus might push it on to Armory Crate for the official release on the 6th. The update is as fresh as you can get.

This link takes you to Asus download center. Register your model with either serial number or model (your ROG Ally model should be named RC71L) and then look up AMD graphics driver update. There should be a notice that it's been updated for Starfield specifically.

Hayabusa83

Banned
I am thinking about updating my internal memory. I was playing all of my emulators from a micro SD and it literally almost burnt it to a crisp.

Klosshufvud

GPD Win mini looks so fucking cool. Love that clamshell design and small form factor. Feels like an actual portable.
Yeah the form factor looks so damn comfy. I would have loved for someone like Valve take a crack at it. Maybe instead of keyboard, pimp it out with big tactile trackpads and big sticks with lots of space. I love the idea that you basically have the grip of a normal controller. Traditional handheld design tends to lose some of that grip control due to the width of the devices. I'll keep an eye out on the Mini on IndieGoGo.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Software support for this device has been terrible. First person shooters are still unplayable because of the deadzones, which they only fixed in desktop mode. SD cards are still getting ruined, and the problem was never resolved by Asus. But they did ramp up the fan curves and ruined the near dead silent operation (which also didn't fix the SD card problem). I returned my Ally, and is now waiting for the Legion Go instead. Valve never released the Steam Deck in Norway. Other than that low TDP has terrible performance compared to the Deck, and battery life is terrible compared to the old Switch. Not expecting battery or low TDP to be better on the Legion Go.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Software support for this device has been terrible. First person shooters are still unplayable because of the deadzones, which they only fixed in desktop mode. SD cards are still getting ruined, and the problem was never resolved by Asus. But they did ramp up the fan curves and ruined the near dead silent operation (which also didn't fix the SD card problem). I returned my Ally, and is now waiting for the Legion Go instead. Valve never released the Steam Deck in Norway. Other than that low TDP has terrible performance compared to the Deck, and battery life is terrible compared to the old Switch. Not expecting battery or low TDP to be better on the Legion Go.
Shame they never released SD in Norway. Can't you buy second hand from Sweden? I see a ton being sold. Other than that, if you want good performance and quiet and cool fans, your best bet are the niche Windows handhelds. But of course you'll lose out on good support/warranty services.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Shame they never released SD in Norway. Can't you buy second hand from Sweden? I see a ton being sold. Other than that, if you want good performance and quiet and cool fans, your best bet are the niche Windows handhelds. But of course you'll lose out on good support/warranty services.

I can, but I won't be getting any warranty, which is 5 years by law here. So imagine everything is working as it should, is it easy to repair if I order parts?

Sleepwalker

I can, but I won't be getting any warranty, which is 5 years by law here. So imagine everything is working as it should, is it easy to repair if I order parts?
The SD is super repairable, from the stick modules all the way to replacing the screen. Short of a dead motherboard youll be able to repair everything

Kenpachii

I would play the ally at 50w docked. Performance is king.

If the thing burns up, not my problem warranty will cover that.

Dorfdad

Gold Member

Man I think you had the wrong impression of what a handheld is capable of right now. The ROG ally isn’t a desktop replacement unless you buy the external egpu which I have and while it’s loud it’s a full inbox replacement and you can play those games you listed at good frame rates.

There is also a learning curve with regards to power settings and video configurations you will need to learn. Sounds like you expected instant play and go which doesn’t really work good IMHO. Definitely the best handheld out there warts aside.

Totally agree with them needed better QA and sticks however

Last edited:
Man I think you had the wrong impression of what a handheld is capable of right now. The ROG ally isn’t a desktop replacement unless you buy the external egpu which I have and while it’s loud it’s a full inbox replacement and you can play those games you listed at good frame rates.

There is also a learning curve with regards to power settings and video configurations you will need to learn. Sounds like you expected instant play and go which doesn’t really work good IMHO. Definitely the best handheld out there warts aside.

Totally agree with them needed better QA and sticks however
Oh I knew what to mostly expect, I just wanted to test some of my most played current titles on it to see what it's capable of. I've gamed on PC for like 2 decades and know the woes of PC more then I wish I did. I messed with it more then what I originally put in my post because I didn't want to write a blog lol

My only real problems were with the quality of the product itself. That being said everything outside of the sticks (holy shit why are they so bad?) was probably just me getting a inferior example. That and Windows being a shit operating system and even worse on small touch displays.

Mr Hyde

Since my egpu solution went to shit and Asus won't let me return it, I've decided to keep my Ally always docked. It performs great when paired to the XG Mobile so I'm just gonna use it for PC games at high settings. It's not worth the hassle to keep unplugging it to play some games portable, only to get screwed over when I plug it back in. It feels like it could brick my Ally. The only downside with this, is that I actually want a PC handheld, to play games on the go, so that leaves me with a choice to get myself a new one. First I thought about the A1 pro, but now I've been eyeing the GPD Win mini. Its clamshell design and small form factor feels like a design that fits the bill for what I'm after right now. It comes with a better battery, larger storage and hall effect sticks, making drift a non issue. I signed up for a notice on indiegogo. Hopefully you can order one next week.

Sleepwalker

Since my egpu solution went to shit and Asus won't let me return it, I've decided to keep my Ally always docked. It performs great when paired to the XG Mobile so I'm just gonna use it for PC games at high settings. It's not worth the hassle to keep unplugging it to play some games portable, only to get screwed over when I plug it back in. It feels like it could brick my Ally. The only downside with this, is that I actually want a PC handheld, to play games on the go, so that leaves me with a choice to get myself a new one. First I thought about the A1 pro, but now I've been eyeing the GPD Win mini. Its clamshell design and small form factor feels like a design that fits the bill for what I'm after right now. It comes with a better battery, larger storage and hall effect sticks, making drift a non issue. I signed up for a notice on indiegogo. Hopefully you can order one next week.
What happened to your egpu? Why did asus not help?

Klosshufvud

lol we really are of the same taste here. I've been eyeing the Win Mini aswell. Unfortunately GPD's shipping times are veeery long. I may down the line get one used. That form factor seems really neat.

Mr Hyde

What happened to your egpu? Why did asus not help?

The XG Mobile is very buggy, and every time I plug it in or out to the Ally, something bad happens, like the device freezing up or some other shenanigans and I have to reboot it. It just behaves very strangely and I'm afraid the XG Mobile is gonna brick my Ally so that's why I'm choosing to keep it always docked. At least then I can use it as a desktop PC. I was in contact with Asus customer support and they say that I can't return it after 14 days of use, however I can return it for repair. But since it's not technically broken, just buggy and unreliable, I don't see a point sending it back. It's too much hassle.

Mr Hyde

So I guess it's official, my XG Mobile has stopped working. My ROG Ally doesn't detect it no matter how much I try to activate and deactivate. Tried updating the drivers, even roll back to previous but it's no good. It's just an expensive charger right now. My ROG Ally is busted too it seems, can't put it in sleep mode or wake it up, I just get a black screen. Had to turn it off completely and then boot it up to get it to work. I'm having trouble launching some games too, especially from Armory Crate. I guess it was just a matter of time since I've had nothing but trouble since day 1 with the XG Mobile. What a miserable (and expensive) experience this was. A massive L. It's a shame because I really loved the PC platform, despite only getting to play with it for a couple of months.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

So I guess it's official, my XG Mobile has stopped working. My ROG Ally doesn't detect it no matter how much I try to activate and deactivate. Tried updating the drivers, even roll back to previous but it's no good. It's just an expensive charger right now. My ROG Ally is busted too it seems, can't put it in sleep mode or wake it up, I just get a black screen. Had to turn it off completely and then boot it up to get it to work. I'm having trouble launching some games too, especially from Armory Crate. I guess it was just a matter of time since I've had nothing but trouble since day 1 with the XG Mobile. What a miserable (and expensive) experience this was. A massive L. It's a shame because I really loved the PC platform, despite only getting to play with it for a couple of months.
What a bummer. Do you think you can return the products within warranty? Unfortunately some of this jank is not uncommon for PC. I guess not having much experience from desktop PCs can make the handheld PCs torture too. Maybe it's worth doing a fresh install from scratch?

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
I'm waiting for more alternatives. Asus messed up with the Ally.

GHG

A massive L. It's a shame because I really loved the PC platform, despite only getting to play with it for a couple of months.

What you ended up going with isn't "the PC platform".

You would have been better off getting a desktop + a steam deck, or even just a decent gaming laptop for similar money overall.

I hope you can get your money back somehow so that you can start again.

Last edited:

FingerBang

That really sucks. I wonder if there's a way to hard reset the device. You should be able do it for the bios and the reinstall Windows, but of course that means wiping your drives.

I love the Ally but it is still a buggy device. Had a number of issues, even though most of them are caused by putting the device in sleep mode

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Hope you get thos sorted soon. Surely they will look after you under warranty?

I would advise getting yourself a nice gaming PC and have your ally as a companion device if possible.

Sounds shit about the xg mobile though.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I got fairly decent deal on a relatively pristine second-hand Ally, and wanted to set it all up from scratch. Once my WD 2TB SN740 arrives, I'm planning to follow the Asus guide to get it up and running:

I'm assuming the Windows image will have all the necessary drivers and apps to get going?

Is there anything else you guys recommend that I install and setup?

Local Best Buy has a Rog Ally Extreme,open box for $550. Thinking about giving it a try. How are folks who bought one feeling generally about it, aside from SD card reader issues?
I love mine. Best handheld since the vita for me. I pimped mine up with a rokid max, awesome upgrade.

Topher

Gold Member
So far so good. Ran the Cyberpunk 2077 on low settings. 1080p frame rate was in the 30s. 720p in the 50s. Definitely prefer the higher frame rate. On this screen cannot tell the difference in resolution. Will play around with it some more tomorrow.

Oh.....and the speakers are excellent.

Check out emudeck for windows for it. Not sure if it's still behind a patreon pay wall but it will likely be free soon if it is. This thing is a beast for retro as well.

StereoVsn

So far so good. Ran the Cyberpunk 2077 on low settings. 1080p frame rate was in the 30s. 720p in the 50s. Definitely prefer the higher frame rate. On this screen cannot tell the difference in resolution. Will play around with it some more tomorrow.

Oh.....and the speakers are excellent.
Nice! Definitely get a bigger drive though. Prices have fallen and 1tb/2tb are much more reasonable now. Plus big Amazon sale is next week and BF is around the corner.

With the SD shenanigans I just grabbed a 2TB on sale and it worked out really well. Imagining a new drive is a breeze as well through ASUS software.

Topher

Gold Member
Nice! Definitely get a bigger drive though. Prices have fallen and 1tb/2tb are much more reasonable now. Plus big Amazon sale is next week and BF is around the corner.

With the SD shenanigans I just grabbed a 2TB on sale and it worked out really well. Imagining a new drive is a breeze as well through ASUS software.

Read my mind bro. I was just checking out 2230 prices on Amazon. I'll definitely wait for the sales, but yeah, the prices are not bad at all. Seen them as low as $73. Got some MS Rewards points I can convert to Amazon gift cards as well. Might be able to snag a 2TB.

Check out emudeck for windows for it. Not sure if it's still behind a patreon pay wall but it will likely be free soon if it is. This thing is a beast for retro as well.

Thanks. I'll do that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom