• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V PC Performance Thread

spuckthew

This game runs like an absolute dream on my GTX680. Everything cranked up, 1080p, and I'm basically getting a rock-solid 60fps. Couldn't have asked for anything better really. It technically does drop to low 50s once in a blue moon, but it's a mostly trivial issue. The game is smooth as fuck. Just praying that Phantom Pain turns out this good.

Mmmh... could it be that your CPU has too much dust ? Before I upgraded, my old GPU would go up to 100°c fast... it was dust in the cooler.

i got a core i5 2500 too, yeah it gets hot pretty qucik too, this games stess test my pc, it gets restarted after playing this game for long

Regardless the stock cooler shouldn't have any issues with non-OC'd CPUs.

I changed the thermal paste (twice, first time didn't work) and it seems to have fixed it. Played for half an hour and without using SpeedFan temps barely crossed 80c (while they used to reach 90c within 2 minutes before) and with SpeedFan making the fans run at full speed temps didn't cross 65c.

I checked the heatsink and it looked clean to me. I used an air pump on it and it only blew a small amount of dust.

I used really cheap thermal paste though and I probably didn't do the best application of it. It's my first time and I always have difficulties dealing with PC internals and get nervous doing it. I think it's fine for now, I'm happy with it. And it might get better once the pastes "cures" after a while.

I just finished playing through the first mission once and on top of really enjoying the game, I am very pleased with the performance. With everything on Extra High except for screen filtering and SSAO (both on high) it never dipped below 40 with my GTX 670 running at 1440p.

So, I'm going to play this game on my new laptop and since this is the first time I'm doing some serious gaming on it, I need a lot of help here. Basically, I want to play at 60fps locked.

Here are my laptop specs:

i7-4810MQ 2.80 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 970m 6gb DDR5

I'm gonna turn Screen Filtering off for now, but what settings would you recommend? Is there any way I can auto-detect recommended settings?

Oh, and I'm gonna play with a DS4 controller plugged in. I assume this is the program needed to make it fully compatible? http://ds4windows.com/

RK9039

So, I'm going to play this game on my new laptop and since this is the first time I'm doing some serious gaming on it, I need a lot of help here. Basically, I want to play at 60fps locked.

i7-4810MQ 2.80 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 970m 6gb DDR5

I'm gonna turn Screen Filtering off for now, but what settings would you recommend? Is there any way I can auto-detect recommended settings?

Oh, and I'm gonna play with a DS4 controller plugged in. I assume this is the program needed to make it fully compatible? http://ds4windows.com/

Try SSAO on high (or below), that's what I did.

jett

D-Member

i7-4810MQ 2.80 GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM
GTX 970m 6gb DDR5

Don't put screen filtering, SSAO, Lighting or Shadows on extra high. Those seem to cause the biggest framerate drops. Try setting everything on high at first, and go from there.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I'll try this out. Thank you.

My laptop is a couple of notches below yours and I can run it with everything on high and SSAO off.

I can run it at 60 fps, but I think there is a mem leak when running above 30fps that eventually it causes my computer to bluescreen, alternatively it could be over heating but for now I have the game locked for 30fps even though it handles 60 fps just fine.

I even run it on my second display at 1680x1050

It looks pretty.

iPLl7064mC38h.jpg

My laptop is a couple of notches below yours and I can run it with everything on high and SSAO off.

I can run it at 60 fps, but I think there is a mem leak when running above 30fps that eventually it causes my computer to bluescreen, alternatively it could be over heating but for now I have the game locked for 30fps even though it handles 60 fps just fine.

Thanks. And yikes! Bluescreen is the last thing I'd want so I'll be careful.

I even run it on my second display at 1680x1050

It looks pretty.

Nice, the screen looks great! I'm gonna be using 1920x1080 resolution..

Murtrod

Anyone else experiencing serious FPS drops mid game? I'm on an SLI 680 rig and my frames are much lower than I anticipated. Only things I have turned down are texture settings because I have low VRAM. Frames drop randomly to about thirty FPS and will return to normal seconds later.

Minamu

Eh in fact, I doubt it is. It's worth a try though. But I think that the game wont even launch because of being DX11 only.
Yeah no, I don't think I'll go with this sale, 33% off ain't that good when I already own it on ps4 :) Thanks though, time for a new pc soon. My wallet am cry!

Nocturn

Neo Member
With a FX8320 @ 4.2 and a GTX 970 I can only get rock solid 60fps @1080p if I lower shadows from extra high to high with everything else maxed. Game is gorgeous.

Yeah no, I don't think I'll go with this sale, 33% off ain't that good when I already own it on ps4 :) Thanks though, time for a new pc soon. My wallet am cry!

Eh, I know that ! I had basically the same config before upgrading in summer. Core 2 Duo, 4GB of ram and HD4870. Was good before current gen happened :p

After installing the game-ready Nvidia driver for this game, does Geforce Experience need to always be on when I'm playing?

Also, any tips on how I can get the most out of my graphics card? Will it waste resources if I have some settings on through Nvidia Control Panel and also in the game's graphics settings?

Here are my current settings in-game:

Now, here are my Nvidia Control Panel settings:

Can anyone offer advice on things I should change, especially anything that's redundant, and any other things?

Why so many settings low and medium? If your 970M can't do 1080p60 and high, just play at 900p in high settings, and you have much better shading, shadows, textures and geometry. With these settings you basically play the PS3 version in 1080p60. Your 970M should have no stress to play the game at 1080p60 and high.

FYI, there's a bug that prevent the game running in true fullscreen mode on some Maxwell Notebook cards (800m and 900m) so if you can't do 1080p60 and high that may be the cause.

Here are my current settings in-game:

Now, here are my Nvidia Control Panel settings:

Can anyone offer advice on things I should change, especially anything that's redundant, and any other things?
What card are you running ? Why the super low settings?

EDIT: Scrolled up. Your specs are good enouguh for extra high @ 60fps 1080p.

Recorded with Nvidia Shadow Play at 1920x1080 Max Settings with my new GTX 980.

http://youtu.be/iBfL8LL2QLk

Specs:

COOLER MASTER HAF X Blue Edition
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Intel Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
EVGA 04G-2983-KR GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 ACX 2.0 PCI Express 3.0
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77
G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" ASUS Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thanks for the upload. I guess i didn't realise what i was missing untill i saw this video. I mostly play indies, but i guess this will have to be my AAA-purchase of 2015 next to GTA V. It looks amazing, and the gameplay seems really appealing.

Why so many settings low and medium? If your 970M can't do 1080p60 and high, just play at 900p in high settings, and you have much better shading, shadows, textures and geometry. With these settings you basically play the PS3 version in 1080p60. Your 970M should have no stress to play the game at 1080p60 and high.

FYI, there's a bug that prevent the game running in true fullscreen mode on some Maxwell Notebook cards (800m and 900m) so if you can't do 1080p60 and high that may be the cause.

I see. With many high settings, it runs at around 50fps. Is there anything else I can do? If I have v-sync on in the Control Panel, do I need to have it in the game settings too? Is this why it may be using more resources than necessary?

I may try 900p as a last resort.

What card are you running ? Why the super low settings?

EDIT: Scrolled up. Your specs are good enouguh for extra high @ 60fps 1080p.

I thought so too. I had some slightly higher settings, but when I ran FRAPS, it showed around 50 or 55fps, if not lower.

I was wondering if it's because I had some incorrect or redundant settings on Nvidia Control Panel or somewhere else. It's my first time doing some heavy gaming on PC, so I must be doing something wrong here.

sfried

Did performance improve with AMD cards with the latest patch? I'm now able to play at everything MAX settings (Ultra High to where applicable) without a horrendous drop in framerate. I even did the "crawl under one of the buildings" test to see if the frame would jutter and drop like it would before, and to my surprise that issue is now gone!

jett

D-Member
Did performance improve with AMD cards with the latest patch? I'm now able to play at everything MAX settings (Ultra High to where applicable) without a horrendous drop in framerate. I even did the "crawl under one of the buildings" test to see if the frame would jutter and drop like it would before, and to my surprise that issue is now gone!

It's running better on my 280X for sure. With everything maxxed out the framerate would go to shit outside the admin building, it doesn't anymore. I still can't reach 60fps with screen space reflections turned on (screen filtering@extra high), but it's more manageable, runs at around 55. Putting shadows on extra high sets the framerate below 50 though, but it's a definite improvement I think.

I get 60fps on the following settings. There are occasional dips to 54fps or 50fps but that's rare:

I have the following questions (all questions except 1) are related to the Nvidia Control Panel settings) - would appreciate the help here:

1) In my case, what are the advantages of disadvantages of Fullscreen and Borderless Fullscreen modes?

2) AA FXAA is 'on' - is this beneficial or just a waste of performance?

3) Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration is set to 'Single display performance mode' - is this the correct setting since I play on only 1 screen?

4) Should I turn Triple Buffering 'on'?

5) AA - Transparency is set to 'Multisample' - there's also something like '2x sample' and '4x sample'. What's the best setting here?

6) PhysX processor - should this be set to 'Auto-select', 'Geforce 970m' or 'CPU'?

UnrealEck

I have the following questions (all questions except 1) are related to the Nvidia Control Panel settings) - would appreciate the help here:

1. Fullscreen might run a little better. Borderless will reduce or eliminate screen tearing without setting vsync (a good thing)
2. FXAA is a cheap solution to reducing jaggies. Disabling it won't give much better performance.
3. Single display is fine, yes.
4. I think triple buffering is good to enable if you use vsync. It improves performance in this case, but might give you lower responsiveness in your controls.
5. The higher the sampling, the better the quality on things like plants (I think) but the more performance cost.
6. Leave PhysX running on your 970m (the GPU). Running it on the CPU is really slow.

I have an i7 4770k and a gtx760 (asus gc of), it says I should be able to set everything on extra high if I read it right, but all I can do is one or two settings on extra high otherwise I get dips into the 40s and if all at extra high I get in the constant 30s.

I can live with all high for 60 for constant, but is anyone else having an experience like this?

1. Fullscreen might run a little better. Borderless will reduce or eliminate screen tearing without setting vsync (a good thing)
2. FXAA is a cheap solution to reducing jaggies. Disabling it won't give much better performance.
3. Single display is fine, yes.
4. I think triple buffering is good to enable if you use vsync. It improves performance in this case, but might give you lower responsiveness in your controls.
5. The higher the sampling, the better the quality on things like plants (I think) but the more performance cost.
6. Leave PhysX running on your 970m (the GPU). Running it on the CPU is really slow.

Sorry for the late reply but thanks. I set everything like this in the control panel and things are fine.

The1Ski

GameGPU article

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_1920.jpg
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_2560.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Metal_Gear_Solid_V_Ground_Zeroes_-test-mgs_proz.jpg

Performance seems great, especially considering the significant improvements over the console version. Of course, it's a 60 FPS title on consoles, so it's not too surprising it runs well.

Edit: looking at the higher res GPU benchmarks, AMD performance seems lower than you'd expect. Perhaps a new driver release will improve on that.

Am I losing it
or an idiot
or is the GTX 960 not listed here? Is there a reason it wouldn't be?

I would imagine that it performs just below the GTX 970 and a bit higher than the 700 series cards.

The1Ski

The 960 did not exist at the time of release so second option. It should perform equally to a 680.

Gotcha, makes sense. I'm on the fence about getting Ground Zeroes to see how the 960 runs it. I was hoping to get it for free as the pre-order bonus but I got MGSV as a redemption code for purchasing the 960. There must be some kind of stipulation that you have to pre-order through steam to Ground Zeroes? I wish there was a sale going on because $20 is a little high for me.

laxu

Anyone having issues with aiming in this game? It was fine when I was on Windows 7 but in Windows 10 every time I aim (doesn't matter if first or third person) the view jumps to some odd position (often either behind you or straight down or up, doesn't seem to have a clear pattern) and then you can aim as long as you hold the right mouse. It works otherwise fine, just aiming (even in a car) jumps.

robotrock

Banned
Did they ever fix the cursor thing? Is there a way I can fix the cursor thing?

I don't want the cursor thing happening with MGSV next month.

You mean the loading cursor thing? Do you play with mouse or with a controller?

You can always turn on mouse movement trails in the windows mouse settings and your mouse will never show up in any game.

Roni

Gold Member

Don't know if it will be fixed for a fact, but I'm pretty sure a Konami rep said they were addressing it for TPP on the Steam forums. In fact, they aim to improve on pretty much everything Ground Zeroes was for PC.

Elsolar

I get 60fps on the following settings. There are occasional dips to 54fps or 50fps but that's rare:

1) In my case, what are the advantages of disadvantages of Fullscreen and Borderless Fullscreen modes?

2) AA FXAA is 'on' - is this beneficial or just a waste of performance?

3) Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration is set to 'Single display performance mode' - is this the correct setting since I play on only 1 screen?

4) Should I turn Triple Buffering 'on'?

5) AA - Transparency is set to 'Multisample' - there's also something like '2x sample' and '4x sample'. What's the best setting here?

6) PhysX processor - should this be set to 'Auto-select', 'Geforce 970m' or 'CPU'?

Fullscreen mode allows Windows to disable certain services tied to the DWM, which can boost performance in cases where the application is regularly fully utilizing your CPU on all cores. Otherwise any performance difference is going to be negligible.

Windowed mode (and by extension Borderless Fullscreen mode), on the other hand, confer one important advantage of keeping the DWM running during gameplay: triple buffering. Even if you disable V-sync, a game in Windowed mode will never tear, because Windows is silently running a 3-buffer swap chain in the background. This can be useful to exploit when a game doesn't support triple buffering natively. In this situations you just diable the in-game v-sync, turn on Windowed (or Borderless Fullscreen) mode, and use RTSS (or Nvidia Inspector) to cap the framerate to your refresh rate (60 on most monitors). I find that it's usually better to use in-game triple buffering when available, as games tend to have frame pacing issues when their internal V-sync is disabled, but your mileage may vary. You're encouraged to experiment.

This setting enables FXAA, a filter used over the final image after it's been rendered to eliminate aliasing, a form of visual artifacting found in 3D rendering. In your case, this setting will be ignored by the application because MGSV:GZ already has FXAA built in to the engine, and Nvidia is smart enough not to let you enable the same effect twice.

This setting will be ignored by the application until you plug in a second display.

This setting only supports games made using OpenGL. MGSV:GZ was developed using Direct3D, so it ignores this setting.

This setting is only used when "Antialiasing - Mode" is set to "Enhance the Application Setting" or "Override the Application Setting." Transparency antialiasing is designed to eliminate aliasing that traditional multi-sample antialiasing (MSAA) can't detect, like in the links of a chain-link fence or a field of grass and foliage. It's used in combination with MSAA, and is only supported by games that have MSAA support. MGSV:GZ has no MSAA support, so this option will be ignored.

This setting will be only be used applications that support Nvidia PhysX, and should usually be set to "Auto." It can be used to allow non-SLI'd Nvidia cards to split up the work of rendering a frame by using one card as a dedicated PhysX processor. MGSV:GZ does not support PhysX.

Top Bottom