• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony X800D well - reviewed, 4k+HDR TV with low input lag

farisr

Anyone know where to get this for a good price in Canada (Toronto)?

Just moved to a smaller apartment downtown and I have no room for my 62'' 1080p bravia. this looks like a good replacement for the bedroom.
This one just seems to be always near retail price, 43 inch for $900-950, 49 inch for $1100-1150. Right now it's on a $50 off sale (So, $900 and 1100). I've been looking everywhere, they're pretty much the same across the board, with the occasional store being more expensive. If you want it for cheaper than that, gonna have to wait it out till Black Friday or Boxing Day, and even then it's not guaranteed as they keep selling out at their current pricepoint.

Vuze

There are no 1080p or higher monitors currently being sold that I have seen tested at less than 9ms.
I might interpret the chart or their definition of lag wrong but it says 3ms lag (signal processing + response time). http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm
Feel free to correct me.
There are TV's as low as 8ms and there are 4K ones with 19ms, so either way, this is not the 4K gaming TV we have all been waiting for.
No kidding. It's just a good value 4K HDR set which is also fine for gaming. I don't think anyone in this thread ever said this was the best 4K gaming TV lol

spwolf

I might interpret the chart or their definition of lag wrong but it says 3ms lag (signal processing + response time). http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm
Feel free to correct me.

No kidding. It's just a good value 4K HDR set which is also fine for gaming. I don't think anyone in this thread ever said this was the best 4K gaming TV lol

It actually has the lowest input lag at 4K HDR of any 2016 TV + very good motion low response times (no trails, etc).

Even better, it has only 50ms with with everything turned on, so picture might actually look quite better than Samsung's game mode. Someone needs to compare this.

I hope Eurogamer or someone similar will do a comparo when PS4 Pro comes out, and compare picture quality, input lag and HDR effect.

Osla

Neo Member
How would this 43" TV handle a regular PS4? Would it look okay or would it upscale weirdly or something?

Not convinced of the PS4 Pro yet, but I am looking to upgrade from my current 32" inch TV...

Tadie

It actually has the lowest input lag at 4K HDR of any 2016 TV + very good motion low response times (no trails, etc).

Even better, it has only 50ms with with everything turned on, so picture might actually look quite better than Samsung's game mode. Someone needs to compare this.

I hope Eurogamer or someone similar will do a comparo when PS4 Pro comes out, and compare picture quality, input lag and HDR effect.

50ms with motion settings on? This sounds quite good. So 30FPS could feel more fluid ;)

Based_legend24

Neo Member
I need at least 55.

Any opinions on the XBR55X930D?
Pretty great to be honest. I've owned it for about 3 weeks now and love it. Great uniform black levels and brightness is hard to beat. Input lag is supposedly high on the panel though. Whenever I play FIFA though I do not notice it so can't be that bad in real world play. Even when I played bf1 it wasn't feeling laggy or late in response to me. Best 55 inch other than an oled. 4K movies look amazing on it as well, have the one s. sicario looks absolutely stunning. I know it cost way more than most tvs people talk about here (vizio) but it's quality is second to none. Get it if you can. You won't regret it.

Based_legend24

Neo Member
Am way too tired to write much tonight, but I got my X800D in tonight and got it set up. Not someone who has really ever owned high end TVs so I am probably an easier mark for this, but I am pretty blown away and that is just from hooking up the PS4. I am going to wind up wasting my weekend just finding stuff to look at. Really surprised at how well it handles the 1080p PS4 source, Destiny and SFV looked amazing compared to the MX279H I had it hooked up to before. Have not so far been able to perceive the increased input lag whatsoever either, which I'm very happy with since the MX279H is one of the most responsive 1080p panels currently made.

If I had anything remotely critical to say after my brief spin tonight it is that the viewing angle is noticeably weaker than the IPS in my MX279H; pretty inconsequential for where I am using this set (it literally is serving one chair) but I can definitely tell the difference if I change angles off center. Those that are looking for a set to serve multiple seats may want to see this set in person before committing.
The power of up scaling. Welcome to the world of 4K. Wait till you see a 4K blu ray disk

Based_legend24

Neo Member
Man, I'm so double minded about what TV I'm going to pick up, even though claiming multiple times over the past couple of weeks that I've finally come to a decision. LOL.

And again, with this thread popping up and people being impressed... not to mention some other factors like pricing. Damn it...

My situation going from my current 1080p TV (which I've had for 8 years) looking to buy a 49 inch model:

X800D
-Will be a big step up in PQ, Colors etc from my current TV
-Appropriately priced in accordance with the exchange rate ($1100 CAD, ~$50 more than exchange rate value)
-Android OS that has better functions than Tizen, and likely to be a real asset if the TV is moved out of my room.
-Edge lit, no local dimming, worse black performance than KS8000, but still way better than what I have currently

KS8000-
-Massive step up in PQ, Colors etc from my current TV
-Overpriced. $2300 CAD
-Edge lit, with some local dimming, better black performance than X800D, way better than what I have currently.
-Will have to buy a third party base for the TV ($70-120 for a decent one) due to the one that comes with the tv not being doable with my setup (the edges of the TV are going to be hanging past the edges of the stand itself, and since this has the two feet that are close to each edge, just not doable.

Even during black friday, I think the price difference is going to remain similar,X800D maybe going down to 800, and the KS8000 at most going down to 1600 (which will become 1700 with the stand).

My mind at this point is going, get the 49x800d, because this is a TV for my bedroom, it's going to cost about half of what the KS8000 costs, and the KS8000 despite being better in dimming, having better blacks, and color, is still an edge lit TV. If the price difference was more similar to how it is in the US or if at this price difference that is currently happening in Canada, KS8000 was offering full array backlighting, I'd probably go for the KS8000.

At this point I'll intend to use the 49x800d for the next 4-5 years and by then backlighting tech should have improved greatly, and sets with great backlighting/dimming will be more affordable/standard. Of course, it'd be best if OLEDs picked up popularity/became more affordable, but for some reason I have a feeling that won't happen.

Edit: A week from now, you'll probably see me leaning towards the KS8000 again. LOL.
The ks8000 is a 120hz panel compared to the 800D which is a 60hz panel. Get ks8000. More expensive but better investment in the long run. Save up a bit more. Nothing wrong with saving to make sure you get exactly what you. Ks8000 will also get brighter which will give a more saturated look if that's how you like colors. Personally I find Sony to be the best manufacture of tvs. Their natural colors and utilization of hdr ( even tho the Samsung doesn't get brighter) blows me away. If you can do a 55 inch then the 850d would be the tv for you.

Based_legend24

Neo Member
How would this 43" TV handle a regular PS4? Would it look okay or would it upscale weirdly or something?

Not convinced of the PS4 Pro yet, but I am looking to upgrade from my current 32" inch TV...
It should upscale fine. Upscaling chips are very good now. Sony and Samsung have the best upscaling chips at the moment and do a great job

The ks8000 is a 120hz panel compared to the 800D which is a 60hz panel. Get ks8000. More expensive but better investment in the long run. Save up a bit more. Nothing wrong with saving to make sure you get exactly what you. Ks8000 will also get brighter which will give a more saturated look if that's how you like colors. Personally I find Sony to be the best manufacture of tvs. Their natural colors and utilization of hdr ( even tho the Samsung doesn't get brighter) blows me away. If you can do a 55 inch then the 850d would be the tv for you.

I don't really see the advantage of 120hz panels on a TV -- especially when the set doesn't even take a native 120hz on its input. Motion interpolation shouldn't be used for games due to the high input-lag it causes and the motion interpolation is kind of an ugly "enhancement" aka the Soap Opera Effect.

Also, after the firmware fixes in the pipeline, the Vizio P Series has a much better image quality than the KS8000. Samsung's edge-backlighting can't compete with full-array zones.

You really don't have to be that close. Like 5 feet away is fine. I don't consider that close. With a 55 inch I'm about 8 feet away and it looks amazing.

Yeah, this thing of 'you need to have a massive TV to notice 4K' needs to go away. I know that's not exactly what airjoca is saying but it reminded me how much it bugs me.

I could immediately tell the difference on my first crappy 4k set and I can definitely see an improvement again with this set.

ViciousDS

Banned
Am way too tired to write much tonight, but I got my X800D in tonight and got it set up. Not someone who has really ever owned high end TVs so I am probably an easier mark for this, but I am pretty blown away and that is just from hooking up the PS4. I am going to wind up wasting my weekend just finding stuff to look at. Really surprised at how well it handles the 1080p PS4 source, Destiny and SFV looked amazing compared to the MX279H I had it hooked up to before. Have not so far been able to perceive the increased input lag whatsoever either, which I'm very happy with since the MX279H is one of the most responsive 1080p panels currently made.

If I had anything remotely critical to say after my brief spin tonight it is that the viewing angle is noticeably weaker than the IPS in my MX279H; pretty inconsequential for where I am using this set (it literally is serving one chair) but I can definitely tell the difference if I change angles off center. Those that are looking for a set to serve multiple seats may want to see this set in person before committing.

Ddduuuudddeeeee I'm a mx279h owner as well and did the exact same thing. About to hook my shit up tonight, HDR test will be tomorrow when the HDMI cables come in for the spec.

But overall last night just TV alone. I love the android OS and it's pretty snappy. Also love the fact that it has native DS4 support. This TV is fucking badass for the $520 I payed open box for it at Best Buy. Can't wait to side load somethings or some old school ems that should be able to run with the onboard processor.

Why isn't PlayStation Vue built into the TV though? Seems kind of a missed opportunity with it.

Also HDR if Dolby wants to make there Dolby Vision support as bright as they are saying they do.

Dear god it's going to be like staring into the sun wth a TV shits going to burn retinas. I can't imagine what 1k peak brightness looks like on the KS8000. Probably would hurt my eyes.

Also......each app has its own video settings so I had to turn off that shitty motion crap in Hulu and Netflix. Screw the soap opera effect......drives me nuts

With a 43" TV you need to be REALLY CLOSE to it to notice a difference between 4K and 1080p

834410819.gif

Ragona

ordered this Tv in 55' and it should arrive on thursday, hyped as shit.
Would anybody be so kind as to share their screen settings?:) I suck at setting it up.

Jockel

So can somebody with the EU version confirm that it displays 60hz content correctly, with every frame intact? I don't really know if the 50hz spec in the panel is just meant for "yes, it's compatible with the PAL TV broadcasting standard" or actually limits the internal refresh rate.

Vuze

So can somebody with the EU version confirm that it displays 60hz content correctly, with every frame intact? I don't really know if the 50hz spec in the panel is just meant for "yes, it's compatible with the PAL TV broadcasting standard" or actually limits the internal refresh rate.
Uh well, I can't confirm this on a technical basis but games cap out at 60fps with vsync on and I don't notice any weird behaviour so I assume it's perfectly fine. Also the spec sheet of the EU model said it supports 2160p60 so there's that.

Jockel

Uh well, I can't confirm this on a technical basis but games cap out at 60fps with vsync on and I don't notice any weird behaviour so I assume it's perfectly fine. Also the spec sheet of the EU model said it supports 2160p60 so there's that.
That sounds very reassuring. Now the big question if to wait for a sale or take the plunge BECAUSE I NEED IT IN MY LIFE.

spwolf

So this and the KS7000 (8000 in the US) are about the same price (depending on store, there's as little as a 50€ difference) yet i see this reported as the more budget conscious choice, compared to the Samsung (?).
what gives? Or are they in the same category?

This just came out in EU, so no discounts yet... Samsung has microdimming so better HDR effect. But that also means blooming so better check it yourself. Samsung has rave reviews but user reviews are not so good.

Hopefully Sony gets cheaper in Eu too. There is 20% difference here in eastern Europe right now.

ViciousDS

Banned
So this and the KS7000 (8000 in the US) are about the same price (depending on store, there's as little as a 50€ difference) yet i see this reported as the more budget conscious choice, compared to the Samsung (?).
what gives? Or are they in the same category?

I think it's a country thing.

A 49inch KS8000 is $1100.......my X800D cost me under $550 for 43 inches and the 49 is still much cheaper

Whats the deal with the XD83 series(Europe)? Looks like it may be a step up from the XD80 with it using a 100HZ panel with Motion Flow XR800 for not much more. Cant see any reviews for it though.

Rbk_3

That doesn't get near bright enough to do true HDR, only 375 nits max.

Not to mention what looks like some pretty bad backlight bleed, no thanks.

I am impressed with the X800D. Sony's interpolation algorithm a.k.a MotionFlow on this model is heads and shoulders above the competition in terms of processing speed (49ms input lag compared to Samsung's abhorrent 120ms which is unplayable).

I'm currently enjoying 30 fps games on the PS4 and Wii U with interpolation turned on. Ratchet & Clank looks glorious on "60fps". And so does Windwaker HD. NBA 2K17 is unbelievable.

MazeHaze

Banned
I am impressed with the X800D. Sony's interpolation algorithm a.k.a MotionFlow on this model is heads and shoulders above the competition in terms of processing speed (49ms input lag compared to Samsung's abhorrent 120ms which is unplayable).

I'm currently enjoying 30 fps games on the PS4 and Wii U with interpolation turned on. Ratchet & Clank looks glorious on "60fps". And so does Windwaker HD. NBA 2K17 is unbelievable.
To each their own, but I think motion interpolation on 30 fps games look terrible.

Also If you want a 55 inch, don't get the 850d. I feel obligated to warn everyone about that thing. Awful, awful black levels and contrast. Inexcusable for a TV that costs more than 1000 dollars. I was completely unsatisfied with that display.

sikkinixx

Man, I'm so double minded about what TV I'm going to pick up, even though claiming multiple times over the past couple of weeks that I've finally come to a decision. LOL.

And again, with this thread popping up and people being impressed... not to mention some other factors like pricing. Damn it...

My situation going from my current 1080p TV (which I've had for 8 years) looking to buy a 49 inch model:

X800D
-Will be a big step up in PQ, Colors etc from my current TV
-Appropriately priced in accordance with the exchange rate ($1100 CAD, ~$50 more than exchange rate value)
-Android OS that has better functions than Tizen, and likely to be a real asset if the TV is moved out of my room.
-Edge lit, no local dimming, worse black performance than KS8000, but still way better than what I have currently

KS8000-
-Massive step up in PQ, Colors etc from my current TV
-Overpriced. $2300 CAD
-Edge lit, with some local dimming, better black performance than X800D, way better than what I have currently.
-Will have to buy a third party base for the TV ($70-120 for a decent one) due to the one that comes with the tv not being doable with my setup (the edges of the TV are going to be hanging past the edges of the stand itself, and since this has the two feet that are close to each edge, just not doable.

Even during black friday, I think the price difference is going to remain similar,X800D maybe going down to 800, and the KS8000 at most going down to 1600 (which will become 1700 with the stand).

My mind at this point is going, get the 49x800d, because this is a TV for my bedroom, it's going to cost about half of what the KS8000 costs, and the KS8000 despite being better in dimming, having better blacks, and color, is still an edge lit TV. If the price difference was more similar to how it is in the US or if at this price difference that is currently happening in Canada, KS8000 was offering full array backlighting, I'd probably go for the KS8000.

At this point I'll intend to use the 49x800d for the next 4-5 years and by then backlighting tech should have improved greatly, and sets with great backlighting/dimming will be more affordable/standard. Of course, it'd be best if OLEDs picked up popularity/became more affordable, but for some reason I have a feeling that won't happen.

Edit: A week from now, you'll probably see me leaning towards the KS8000 again. LOL.

I'm totally in the same boat. If we were in the US it would be easier since tv prices seem so much better there. But man that KS8000 is legit double the price. I could go buy a new gaming rig for the difference. Or a PS4 Pro and some games. Or a holiday. It's why I'll probably go with the X800.

To each their own, but I think motion interpolation on 30 fps games look terrible.

Also If you want a 55 inch, don't get the 850d. I feel obligated to warn everyone about that thing. Awful, awful black levels and contrast. Inexcusable for a TV that costs more than 1000 dollars. I was completely unsatisfied with that display.

30 fps is TERRIBLE. But with interpolation, it becomes a smoother experience. Interpolation has had some bad press because of the input lag it adds, but as I've said, Sony's current interpolation algorithm keeps the lag to an acceptable 49ms.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

BTW, I am playing on the X800D outside of game mode and there's very little lag. This model trumps everything out there with many effects turned ON.

Gitaroo

you can see how PSVR break up box probably share a lot of tech with their TV motionflow in terms of frame rate upscaling.

PQ is great, input lag is horrible, 110ms. If you are planning on getting it, wait until Oct and see if they Android 6 update improves it or not.

I probably won't buy until next year's models are out anyway, but I thought I'd keep an eye out in case of a good sale or something. But yeah if the gaming lag is that poor that'd be out of the question.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

It's a point worth considering when looking to buy a new TV - just because one model in a range reviews well doesn't mean they will all perform similarly. Different size screens will often perform very differently if they are sourced from different manufacturers. I think sometimes they can even be different panel types across different sizes in the same model.

Just in case you though buying a TV wasn't complicated enough ;)

It'll be fine. TVs in Europe have supported 60Hz for many years now. 50 is just for TV broadcasts

In the UK, what's the difference between the Sony Bravia KD49XD8077, Sony Bravia KD49XD8088 and the Sony Bravia KD49XD8099. They all look the same and I want to make sure I get the one with the 10 bit panel.

Top Bottom