• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 3 vs Gran Turismo 5 Comparison Thread of John, Chapter 11, Verse 35

Interfectum said:
6e408l.jpg

Did che make it through the night? Post something brah.

I'm not sure why I entered this thread, since I don't really play racing games, but that gif is insane!! :D

Zaptruder

Banned
KHarvey16 said:
To suggest these games don't influence each other is pure fanboy delusion. I don't even know why someone wouldn't want this to be true, it means everyone gets better games.

It's one thing to say that they look at the competition and see what they're up to.

It's another to say that we wouldn't have xxxx and yyyy features if not for the presence and existence of a competing series.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Zaptruder said:
It's one thing to say that they look at the competition and see what they're up to.

It's another to say that we wouldn't have xxxx and yyyy features if not for the presence and existence of a competing series.
Exactly.

GT5 wouldn't have Porsche if it wasn't for Forza.

Zaptruder said:

But in the end we don't know either way.

What do you guys think of this: could GT5 in its current form have been made for the Xbox 360 if disk space wasn't an issue?

Whoops: and made exclusively for the Xbox 360.

PjotrStroganov said:
What do you guys think of this: could GT5 in its current form have been made for the Xbox 360 if disk space wasn't an issue?
I'd say it's possible but what would have to be adjusted? no idea.

Look at final fantasy 13, it had a drop in res and compressed video so it could fit into 3 or so dvd's and run on the system.

I don't think the 360 could match gt5 spot on imo.

Salacious Crumb

PjotrStroganov said:

All evidence points to it not being possible. The 360 has some seriously talented people making exclusives for it, and none of them have been able to touch the games Sony's first party put out.

I'm speaking specifically about graphics obviously, everything else the 360 could do, it just wouldn't look as nice.

Salacious Crumb said:
All evidence points to it not being possible. The 360 has some seriously talented people making exclusives for it, and none of them have been able to touch the games Sony's first party put out.

I'm speaking specifically about graphics obviously, everything else the 360 could do it just wouldn't look as nice.

But what game on the 360 has had such a long dev cycle though? Aren't a lack in funds and time the main limiting factors in this case?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PjotrStroganov said:
But what game on the 360 has had such a long dev cycle though? Aren't a lack in funds and time the main limiting factors in this case?
You could argue and bring up other games on 360 which have taken long and still not look quite as good. Not all 1st party games have been in development as long as GT5. BUT clearly that time has produced the amazing game we see before us.

PjotrStroganov said:

They wouldn't be able to do a proper 1:1 recreation on Xbox 360. Most likely, the game would have been tailor made to leverage the strength of Xbox 360 hardware. Look at the Ninja Gaiden 2 --> Sigma 2 transition. Sigma 2 had to drop transparency heavy effects and scenes, but got enhanced presentation aspects elsewhere.

Regarding the budgets, I really think people should drop this argument against Sony games. I have read a million times ludicrous analysis of Sony games and the relation between budget and graphics/sound presentation. In reality, we do not know how many of these games cost and after the shocking reveal that APB cost $100 million dollars we can only assume how much many other games cost.

eso76

Nobiru said:
Wasn't forza 1 the first game with the coloured driving lines? Or did something have it first?

F355 challenge was the first i think. IIRC Forza made them 'dynamic' as in they would change color according to your speed, but i might be wrong

Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, Infamous 2...sure I'm forgetting others. And I hope all these jokers notice the pattern in that each initial outing took longer to develop due to engine creation >_> Now compare that to the 360's top game. Halo. How long did it take for 720p? Please, go ahead and start with the bu bu forge, recording excuses. that's what they are right? Face it. Top games take time to establish a strong foundation and that's why they stand above the rest. Halo and GT are both great examples of that.

nib95 said:
I'd also throw Uncharted 2 in the works. A game that didn't actually cost much all things considered and only took 18 months to develop.
Edit: Beaten like an Asian kid who got an A-

PjotrStroganov said:

Whoops: and made exclusively for the Xbox 360.

The best looking exclusive games are all on the PS3.

Microsoft (and all of us) knew what level of visual quality Sony was aspiring to when the pre-rendered video for KZ2 came out all those years ago.

Microsoft have had very-talented developers working exclusively on the system. Now, after all these years, with the 360 console being in developers hands for longer and supposedly easier to work with we haven't seen a game that matches the visual quality of KZ2, Uncharted 2, GOW3, GT5 .... it is obvious the 360 can't be exploited in the same way as the PS3.

Xun

I think it's a bit unfair to compare the 2 systems, they're both very different internally.

Both can produce amazing visuals.

The reason U2 looked so fucking good and had such a short dev-time was because the engine was largely untouched from the previous game.

If the foundations of the engine are there, it's "easier" to tweak and work on it.

I do think Polyphony (if they were making GT5 for the 360) would be able to reach a very near graphical point to what we see with the PS3. A lot of the effects may be dumbed down in certain areas (and better in others due to the "better" GPU), but in general they'd look very similar I'm sure.

It's all about optimising and knowing your system. With the 360 most devs just use already existing engines (UE3) instead of pushing it as much as they probably can.

Edit: It also boils down to art, which makes games like GOW3/KZ2 look more impressive than they actually are. Not trying to say they're weak visually, since they're not, but art is incredibly important in making games look good.

travisbickle said:
The best looking exclusive games are all on the PS3.

Microsoft (and all of us) knew what level of visual quality Sony was aspiring to when the pre-rendered video for KZ2 came out all those years ago.

Microsoft have had very-talented developers working exclusively on the system. Now, after all these years, with the 360 console being in developers hands for longer and supposedly easier to work with we haven't seen a game that matches the visual quality of KZ2, Uncharted 2, GOW3, GT5 .... it is obvious the 360 can't be exploited in the same way as the PS3.

But isn't that just because of devs leaning too much on easy to use toolkits, and making use of easy to implement effects instead of thinking out of the box to get the same or better results? Looking at the tech analysis Reach by DF Bungy have only just started to use unorthodox techniques to get more out of the console.

Even in the PS2/Xbox era some PS2 games looked better than many Xbox counterparts. For instance, while Forza might done certain things better than GT4, it never looked as photorealistic as its competitor.

I just don't think the Xbox 360 has forced devs to really push themselves until recently while PS3 devs have been forced to do this from the beginning.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Salacious Crumb said:
To be fair they always played up the car makers wont let us ruin their cars excuse. It wasn't until forza that people knew it was bullshit.

Uhh, they still can't do a lot of stuff. Being able to scratch a car is not damage. :lol

When we get to Burnout/Dirt style destruction damage on retail cars, then come back and we can talk.

Senua

Gold Member
CrushDance said:
Uncharted 2, Killzone 3, Infamous 2...sure I'm forgetting others. And I hope all these jokers notice the pattern in that each initial outing took longer to develop due to engine creation >_> Now compare that to the 360's top game. Halo. How long did it take for 720p? Please, go ahead and start with the bu bu forge, recording excuses. that's what they are right? Face it. Top games take time to establish a strong foundation and that's why they stand above the rest. Halo and GT are both great examples of that.

Edit: Beaten like an Asian kid who got an A-
halo reach is not 720p

This is why this thread is stupid its system wars behind the facade of comparing two games. I love both franchises and the comments here are kind of ridiculous.

Wazzim

Banned
Fender_Uk said:
halo reach is not 720p
It has a 720 vertical resolution and that's the most important for the human eye but not real 720P yes.
I think the problem with 360 is the wide range of engines ported from Xbox1 and PC, some just get a "slider upgrade" and almost no one really looks in to the hardware to make a 360 optimized engine. Although Banjo Kazooie N&B looks very good on 360 even with a xbox engine so I really hate to see Rare not making another big 360 game.

It's just that if you want to make a great looking game on 360 (like Alan Wake) you have to lower the resolution to keep space in the edram for special effects. I bet the 360 could more easily match PStriple games with 5mb more on the edram.

PjotrStroganov said:
But isn't that just because of devs leaning too much on easy to use toolkits, and making use of easy to implement effects instead of thinking out of the box to get the same or better results? Looking at the tech analysis Reach by DF Bungy have only just started to use unorthodox techniques to get more out of the console.

Even in the PS2/Xbox era some PS2 games looked better than many Xbox counterparts. For instance, while Forza might done certain things better than GT4, it never looked as photorealistic as its competitor.

I just don't think the Xbox 360 has forced devs to really push themselves until recently while PS3 devs have been forced to do this from the beginning.

I just cannot agree with this.

Microsoft spend time, money and effort pointing out every area the 360 excels the PS3.

One thing Microsoft knew, even before the PS3s launch, was there was going to be a game that looks as good as KZ2, and you believe they didn't try to do anything to counter it...

Gears of war, Alan Wake, Mass Effect were the games to go up against the PS3s best but they (visually) don't compete... they are quality games and every owner should be ecstatic with them but from a purely visual standpoint they don't compare. They were made with the same care and attention to detail, quality exclusive titles, and they were all made to be visual feasts like their PS3 counterparts.

Also, the "unorthodox techniques" you talk about developers on the PS3 using, are basically techniques used because the PS3 has an extremely powerful cpu, the 360 doesn't.

Wazzim

Banned
travisbickle said:

Microsoft spend time, money and effort pointing out every area the 360 excels the PS3.

One thing Microsoft knew, even before the PS3s launch, was there was going to be a game that looks as good as KZ2, and you believe they didn't try to do anything to counter it...

Gears of war, Alan Wake, Mass Effect were the games to go up against the PS3s best but they (visually) don't compete... they are quality games and every owner should be ecstatic with them but from a purely visual standpoint they don't compare. They were made with the same care and attention to detail, quality exclusive titles, and they were all made to be visual feasts like their PS3 counterparts.

Also, the "unorthodox techniques" you talk about developers on the PS3 using, are basically techniques used because the PS3 has an extremely powerful cpu, the 360 doesn't.
:lol

They may not win but they surely compete with playstations best.

Vorg

Banned
Well TBQH, if games like Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2 and Rage didn't exist I'd be more inclined to believe the 360 couldn't do ps3 exclusive level stuff. As it stands, I just don't think Microsoft gives a crap about having to prove anything, unfortunately.

acidspunk said:
Well TBQH, if games like Resident Evil 5, Gears of War 2 and Rage didn't exist I'd be more inclined to believe the 360 couldn't do ps3 exclusive level stuff. As it stands, I just don't think Microsoft gives a crap about having to prove anything, unfortunately.

I agree with Rage, specially since its 60fps as well, but the other 2 oO and Resident Evil 5 of all games?

Resident Evil 5 is ur regular game with lots of bloom and a piss filter.

X26

Banned
Some of you people are giving T10 way too much credit, Forza has had as much influence on GT as the RIAA has had on illegal downloading

Vorg

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I agree with Rage, specially since its 60fps as well, but the other 2 oO and Resident Evil 5 of all games?

Resident Evil 5 is ur regular game with lots of bloom and a piss filter.

WTF! You're crazy! RE5 looks incredible. :p

agm2502

Dan Greenawalt
“We’ve got the best physics. We’ve got the best graphics. We’ve got the most cars. We’ve got the most tracks. We’ve got an online community that is unparalleled not just in racing but in gaming in general. Nobody does things with user-generated content the way we do.”

“I’ll stand behind this and say there is no racing game that’ll look better on any console.”

“We can rollover cars. No other racing game is going to rollover 400 cars I can guarantee you that. There’s a reason that we do that. We’ve got great relationships with manufacturers.”

I'd like to hear an interview with him now.

segarr

Wazzim said:
:lol

They may not win but they surely compete with playstations best.
Too true. They do look excellent. It's not a generation gap like some people act like. Sony just has extremely talented devs that share all their technology with each other.

travisbickle said:

I meant things like filters in KZ2 and dynamic resolution in Wipeout HD to keep performance up to scratch. They were necessary to reach the graphical fidelity because it couldn't be done via another route.

Firewire

Banned
So this is the Forza delusion now? "We had a hand in GT5's development, we influenced them!"

Forza fans must all be trained by Iknos or something.

Wazzim

Banned
segarr said:
Too true. They do look excellent. It's not a generation gap like some people act like. Sony just has extremely talented devs that share all their technology with each other.
Yup, I'm sure that it will be better for T10/343/Rare/Lionhead to exchange techs instead of improving the old tricks in your own engine.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Firewire said:
So this is the Forza delusion now? "We had a hand in GT5's development, we influenced them!"

Forza fans must all be trained by Iknos or something.
Well, Turn10 certainly didn't influence PD when it comes to creating hundreds of car models of equal quality.

cjelly said:
Well, Turn10 certainly didn't influence PD when it comes to creating hundreds of car models of equal quality.

Yeah... it was funny the first time. Second and third, not so much.

And btw, T10 reused models as well

Pallaris

Tough one. On the one hand, GT5's car models are unparalleled as far as videogames go. (talking about the premium models) but it looks like Polyphony might have gone a step too far with their assets/effects/number of cars, sacrificing a v-synced/locked a 60fps, which is something I never thought they'd do. It's possible some of the early decisions they made re engine etc stemmed from the 1080p hype.. which is something Wipeout HD fell for and was crippled by.

I'd still probably give the nod to Forza just because of framerate. To me that always takes priority, despite not looking as pretty.

I think PD are set up pretty good for next gen though which is very important in the grand scheme of things.

Amir0x

Banned
it's no longer a comparison thread anymore. Gran Turismo 5 in its current incarnation has swept all the competition away. it's really not even remotely close anymore.

The developers of Forza can hardly really be blamed for that, though. GT5 was in development for an infinity years and has the accumulated knowledge and support of over a decade of Gran Turismo goodness.

Forza is still a good series but you can't compete when Polyphony has a budget of a trillion dollars and as long a period of development as they like.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm just wondering if Forza 4 will try to compete with GT5 (meaning add a shitload of stuff) or will simply go on their own and improve upon FM3.

Amir0x

Banned
ULTROS! said:
I'm just wondering if Forza 4 will try to compete with GT5 (meaning add a shitload of stuff) or will simply go on their own and improve upon FM3.

I honestly don't think it'd be possible.

No way is anyone going to give the Forza guys enough money and development time to compete, either visually or content-wise.

Top Bottom