• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Sacrifice (Vita) Demo impressions

Maybe "explosion" is a bit of an over exaggeration but you don't see very many demos that have been rated more than 10K times.

Well 10k ratings is a huge number of ratings in a span of less than a month, as said before not many actual go through the trouble of going back onto the store to rate something.

Shikoro

The ratio is probably 10 or more. That would mean that at least every 10th Japanese Vita owner has tried the demo. That means a lot.

Which brings up another intriguing question should console games implement some sort of a not so frequent boot up prompt asking if you would like to rate the game? Give an option to rate later or never as well, just like mobile games.

Tks for this amazing thread! All the impressions, and analyzing have been a really great read for me at work! Hopefully the IT admins don't block me out'-)

One thing that kinda irks me about the game though is the grotesque nature of the monsters and abilities. It's a bit darker than Dark/Demon's Souls at times, but I understand the philosophy behind it and that these ugly monsters are tormented and not "evil" once you understand there story. Still, I think the grass could have been a little "greener" just to appeal to more people. I will get it in support of Vita (seriously the best handheld portable ever) because I honestly would be heartbroken if 3DS is the only platform left in 2014. So hopefully this thing does take off, but I'll likely enjoy Phantasy Star Online 2 more than this, my stomach is pretty weak'-)

See you guys online!

cyborg009

Banned
So this demo has exploded on the store.

It currently is rated 10,276 times with an average 4.76 out of 5.

So funny that it has the most ratings on the Vita store too.

Anyways here is my highest score.
uHdAM.jpg

And Today I found out about a pretty cool combo using the rock uppercut and lightning dash that wrecks the enemy.

So is there anymore insight on the sacrifice topic? Going from ENB's review, there doesn't seem to be that great a penalty, and in fact you get rewarded for being sacrificed. As he stated, playing 20 minutes with someone, and being sacrificed and not receiving any reward is pretty hardcore, especially with strangers, but I would think there would be more incentive to play really well, and to be rewarded for being the last man standing...

Perhaps there will be missions where sacrificed individuals don't level up as much, just not the majority. I think that would make sense actually.

cyborg009

Banned
So is there anymore insight on the sacrifice topic? Going from ENB's review, there doesn't seem to be that great a penalty, and in fact you get rewarded for being sacrificed. As he stated, playing 20 minutes with someone, and being sacrificed and not receiving any reward is pretty hardcore, especially with strangers, but I would think there would be more incentive to play really well, and to be rewarded for being the last man standing...

Perhaps there will be missions where sacrificed individuals don't level up as much, just not the majority. I think that would make sense actually.

I Personally wouldn't mind a penalty for being sacrificed but some people won't. In the game you do points for sacrificing and/or saving your friends.

Also I beat harpy in 1:18

From blog
1357783246506_SS_PCM_0110.jpg

crinale

There are some rewarding slots that only surviving players have right to receive, so there is a little reason to not to be sacrificed.

Anyway, Sony already said they'll re-balance scoring/rewards/sacrifices and so on.

Kyon

Banned
There are some rewarding slots that only surviving players have right to receive, so there is a little reason to not to be sacrificed.

Anyway, Sony already said they'll re-balance scoring/rewards/sacrifices and so on.

There are also Sacrifice Rewards FYI. A lot of the spell offerings you get are from Sacrafice Rewards

Jonnyram

How many ratings does P4G have? Journey isn't a great representation, since Vita fanboys are so ultra-keen to rate stuff in the store.

Redhood

I played the demo and multiplayer. The game is so much fun and it has excellent net code. No slow downs whatsoever! consider the game bought! A few screens

20121220141618.jpg

20121220141951.jpg

20121220142719.jpg

20121220142234.jpg

20121220143826.jpg

20121220144804.jpg

20121220150347.jpg

20121220150149.jpg

20121220150038.jpg

20121221102445.jpg

20121221095749.jpg

20121221094501.jpg

This guy was dammn hard.

Save or sacrifice.

20121220150111.jpg

20121221094713.jpg

I got sacrificed. after getting sacrificed u can still help other players as a ghost.

20121221093532.jpg

Sacrificing other player rather than saving him :p

Duffyside

Banned
How many ratings does P4G have? Journey isn't a great representation, since Vita fanboys are so ultra-keen to rate stuff in the store.

A fair question, though I don't know why Journey's number of ratings correspond to Vita fanboy nature. But yeah, let's see what other Vita games look like. Keep in mind though that I don't have a Japanese account, and that these are US numbers, and I have no way to check the Japanese ones (though I expect there are more US Vitas at this point than Japan).

Persona 4 Golden: 1,173 ratings
Mutant Blobs: ~ 4,000 ratings
Super Stardust: ~6,000 ratings
Uncharted: GA: ~8,000 ratings *
Gravity Rush: ~11,000 ratings *

* These last two are definitely inflated due to being free on Plus.

So, yeah, I'd say 10,000 ratings for the Soul Sacrifice demo is pretty darn impressive.

cyborg009

Banned
Highest score fighting Jack o Lantern

3dVSi.jpg

And I got this too

Dvv3K.jpg

The game is pretty good my only major concern is the exploration since its looking extremely limited.

Musai

Banned
To be fair, exploration isn't the exactly the strong point of the Monster Hunter series, so I was never expecting that.

Anyway, I hope this moves some systems. :/

Cha

And I got this too

Dvv3K.jpg

The game is pretty good my only major concern is the exploration since its looking extremely limited.

I really like the way they've designed the elemental defense armor. I especially like the Ice one.

jdOG1Y7T04mjS.jpg

Everything in this game is top class! Hope we get an English demo soon.

cyborg009

Banned
Could anyone check some of the amount of ratings for some other popular games on the Japan store?

Umm just so you know US number you posted combines with those bought off PSN and Demos.

To be fair, exploration isn't the exactly the strong point of the Monster Hunter series, so I was never expecting that.

Anyway, I hope this moves some systems. :/

Well the areas are really small

I really like the way they've designed the elemental defense armor. I especially like the Ice one.

http://i.minus.com/jdOG1Y7T04mjS.jpg[IMG]

Everything in this game is top class! Hope we get an English demo soon.[/QUOTE]

I never notice that on the ice armor, really impressive. But my favorite is the poison

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/K4xyJ.jpg

Doombear

Good job GAF. This topic finally broke me down. Barring the hiccup of stupid, where I didn't deactivate my account before formatting the system (had to call Sony to deactivate it for me) it was pretty straightforward. That was my own fault.

The demo is just gorgeous. Sound and music as well, just outstanding. Grabbed Ys Celceta as well but good lord is that a short (but pretty) demo.

Carl

Good job GAF. This topic finally broke me down. Barring the hiccup of stupid, where I didn't deactivate my account before formatting the system (had to call Sony to deactivate it for me) it was pretty straightforward. That was my own fault.

The demo is just gorgeous. Sound and music as well, just outstanding. Grabbed Ys Celceta as well but good lord is that a short (but pretty) demo.

The whole account switching thing is completely crap. Worth it for this demo though. Only time i'll ever do it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
According to the SS community site:
1) Up to 10 magicks of the same type will transfer from the demo to the retail version. Different star variations are being counted separately.
2) Game will receive free DLC(s?) with new monsters after the release.

jdOG1Y7T04mjS.jpg

Everything in this game is top class! Hope we get an English demo soon.

Love the last one. I haven't followed this too much in the last month; can you wear that armor all the time? It looks like mushrooms sprouted all over your character.

LMN

If I remember correctly, The protagonist is nameless right? Then I wouldn't be surprise if he/she is Arthur.

famfrit

Lovecraft + Demon Souls... Epic Win !!!!!!!! Now i want a Vita, but i need to buy a 3ds because of Pokemon + Fire Emblem.

Carl

Demo releasing in Europe/US today (or whenever). Probably easier to use this thread for impressions if everyone's okay with that?

PaulLFC

The EU demo is available through the web store now, but not the Vita store yet.

Go here, checkout the demo and then go to Download List on your Vita to start downloading it.

Works fine, I've just started playing it now :)

Number45

I've played a small part. Not enough to comment on the game yet, just enough to say that I WILL be activating the Japanese voices.

Top Bottom