• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Atruvius

I just strated playing this again. One thing is bugging me. The game shows miles and yards instead of kilometers and meters. How do I change this?

vid

Nevermind a price drop, I'd be happy if the DLC for the PC version were available at all.

Why can't I buy my DeLorean knock-off, EA? WHY WON'T YOU TAKE MY MONEY?!

ace3skoot

So with my free month of PS+ i have just downloaded this game. and am installing the 1.9 patch, only taken like a year! anyways so i loved burnout 2 & 3 on me old gamecube ans figuired id give it ago, how drastically different is this game to the old ones? anything i need to know before jumping in :)

Baron

ace3skoot said:
So with my free month of PS+ i have just downloaded this game. and am installing the 1.9 patch, only taken like a year! anyways so i loved burnout 2 & 3 on me old gamecube ans figuired id give it ago, how drastically different is this game to the old ones? anything i need to know before jumping in :)

I never played any other Burnouts before playing Paradise, but I can tell you I've spent like 125 hours in the game and it's the most fun I've had playing anything in the last 5 years. Fave game of the generation for me, right here. I want to double dip and buy the PSN version but I am loathe to start all over with my save progress. I may just do it anyways and have fun with it.

Be sure to buy the Island expansion - it's totally worth it. And add me if you'd like someone to play with, I'll hop on sometime this week. PSN is indigentia. That goes for anyone interested in Burnout play online!

Agent X

Gold Member
Square Triangle said:
So..the full game plus all of the DLC is only $7.99 on the PSN store? Bought.

Here's the description from today's update on PlayStation.Blog

Burnout Paradise – Full Game Plus Bundle ($7.99)
Take off into the world of Paradise City at ludicrous speed. This bundle contains the full digital version of Burnout paradise with all cars and bikes unlocked so that you can jump right into your favorite ride. The bundle also includes the Boost Specials cars, the Hawker Mech and Carson Extreme hot Rod, so you’ll be leading the pack in no time!
File size: 3.45 GB

Judging from that, I'd guess that it's not the game with all the DLC, but rather the game with the Boost Specials pack. It's still a great deal.

Also, most of the other DLC packs are on sale right now for $1.99, except for Big Surf Island which is $2.99.

Agent X

Gold Member
After reading the description from PlayStation.Blog again, I noticed that it mentions "all the cars and bikes unlocked", so I think it might include the Time Savers pack as well. Perhaps someone who bought the game from PSN during the sale could confirm this.

Amagon

Agent X said:
After reading the description from PlayStation.Blog again, I noticed that it mentions "all the cars and bikes unlocked", so I think it might include the Time Savers pack as well. Perhaps someone who bought the game from PSN during the sale could confirm this.
Yes it does include the Time Savers pack!!!

SykoTech

Enjoying it, but I like just driving around and exploring more than the racing. I always end up going off the path late in the event, costing me the entire race.

Ok, so I just started playing the game. Is there anyway to simply go to an event and play it through the menu or do I have to drive to back to it every single time? Having to drive to the events is the most annoying thing ever.

DonMigs85

FindMyFarms said:
Ok, so I just started playing the game. Is there anyway to simply go to an event and play it through the menu or do I have to drive to back to it every single time? Having to drive to the events is the most annoying thing ever.
Press right on the d-pad and you can choose to restart the last event.

Cornbread78

I got this for the sale price and have been playing it all week and I'm surprised how fun this game is. Is anyone still playing it online? I'd like to get some of those online trophies!

Getting back into this game thanks to the cheap dlc. I'd love to knock out some online freeburn challenges with some fellow gafers. PSN= TheBrain76

sigh…my save file got corrupted and I lost ALL my progress. Was almost done with those 10 timed challenges too :( So hard to get everyone to co-operate in this game!

What do you know. My first time using a game company's customer service ever, and it was excellent.

Guy said that there was some server issues going on and the team was handling it, but there was a trick that might work in the meantime. Cleared the cache, reset the Xbox's clock to release day, booted it back up and BOOM. Back online. :)

... I am sad that a year of non-activity in the game has dropped me from ranked 150th or so in the world to UNRANKED though. :(

Ah well.

Bought this a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $8. Worth every penny. What an utterly wonderful game. I've played a total of probably 3 or 4 hours now, and I have yet to even play a single "mission". Given my attention span and patience for games these days, that alone speaks volumes. This game delivers everything for me that GTA never has, starting with sweet, smooth controls and working on down from there.

androvsky

Pissed. My wife's save got corrupted, lost all her progress... right after she beat the road rule times for every road. She didn't have her burnout license yet, so we've got to go through it again to get that trophy. Another annoying aspect of it is the Burnout Paradise PS3 save analyser website can read it just fine. :/

She had played multiplayer a little bit before she shut down for the night, and I'm seeing other people are reporting getting their saves ruined after playing online (one person narrowed it down to corrupted profiles with too many rivals infecting other players).

So, since the game only has one save slot, apparently shared between the auto-save and the manual save (argh), back up to a USB drive on a regular basis.

My score so far:
I start game on UK PS Plus thanks to the Welcome Back package (got my Burnout license and most of the trophies).
I buy US version, have to restart from scratch (now well into the Burnout license, only missing the 8 players in Wildcats stadium for the platinum).
My wife starts getting into it, so I help her with a bunch of early races.
Her save gets corrupted, so now I'm helping again.
ffffffuuuuuu.....

On a side note, it is nice to know the save analyser site is still up, totally worth adding a line to your hosts file if you're just missing a few gates or jumps.
213.171.218.114 www.burnoutteamrocks.com
213.171.218.114 burnoutteamrocks.com
Just putting the ip address in the browser doesn't work for me, but adding that to the hosts file did.

androvsky

Sorry for the double post, but does anyone else need the 8 players in Wildcat Stadium trophy? My wife and I both need it (it's all I need for platinum, she only has a couple others), so we just need six more people.

Just make sure you back up your save to a USB drive or cloud before you go online, just in case. :)

BPK

The difference between this game and Criterion's other effort, Need for Speed, is striking. The handling in the latter is just terrible. I know they were going for more realism in NFS, but when I popped Burnout in the other night the fun factor was through the roof. Where NFS frustrates the hell out of me because I never feel like I'm able to go exactly where I want to, Burnout is pure bliss to control.

Strike

I'm going to get back into this soon to get the platinum trophy before EA eventually shuts the servers down. I'm actually surprised they're still up.

Still not the best Burnout.

Fun though :)
This. If they ever do go back to the franchise, I hope they just go back to closed courses. Keep the open world stuff as a separate mode.

The difference between this game and Criterion's other effort, Need for Speed, is striking. The handling in the latter is just terrible. I know they were going for more realism in NFS, but when I popped Burnout in the other night the fun factor was through the roof. Where NFS frustrates the hell out of me because I never feel like I'm able to go exactly where I want to, Burnout is pure bliss to control.

I disagree. Hot Pursuit is different but incredibly tight and precise in it's control.

I love the both game but I prefer Burnout for it's take on the open world and all the fun things to do especially with others player.

Agent X

Gold Member
I'm going to get back into this soon to get the platinum trophy before EA eventually shuts the servers down. I'm actually surprised they're still up.

Good idea. It's been over four years, and online play (whenever I try it) still seems pretty healthy all things considered, but it is in a slow decline. At some point, they'll probably make the (sad) decision to shut it down.

I'd like to try to complete as many online challenges as possible before the inevitable shutdown. I'm at 359/500 and still don't have two complete sets of freeburn challenges that are needed to unlock the Carbon Uberschall 8. I've got all the 2-player challenges done, but the others are trickier because you really have to play with a group of players who are both skilled and determined enough to stick around for the long haul. The P12 Diamond (awarded for getting 500/500 challenges) could be very difficult to attain.

BPK

I disagree. Hot Pursuit is different but incredibly tight and precise in it's control.

I love the both game but I prefer Burnout for it's take on the open world and all the fun things to do especially with others player.

I can't stand how NFS controls. I think the difference may be that with licensed cars they had to go a more realistic route, and so they have greater weight. To me they just feel clunky. Burnout's cars, on the other hand, control like an arcade racer should.

Definitely agree with you on the open world though.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

I disagree but agree. I find both to be somewhat easy to control. The problem with paradise was that the city wasn't well designed. Going around corners was a pain in the ass because you could never tell where the corner started and ended. BP is just a terrible arcade racer where as NFSHP was actually pretty darn good once you got out of the shitty cars.

I've been playing BO3 on pcsx2 over the past few days, That game still blows both BP and HFSHP out of the water.

Chris R

So I wanted to play this again after playing the latest NFS for a bit... didn't see a way to restart with all secrets/races incomplete so I deleted my save. Strange that the challenges came over but my best times on each street didn't. Also, I can't seem to set a best time on any street for some reason, is that something that is unlocked later in the game or is there a setting I have to switch to get the times to show up on the street signs?

Baron

I can't seem to set a best time on any street for some reason, is that something that is unlocked later in the game or is there a setting I have to switch to get the times to show up on the street signs?

I've never had an issue with this. Maybe it has something to do with net connection. Are you connected to the internet while playing?

Also, I need to finish up the last 3 or 4 Cops & Robbers trophies to turn my 98% into 100% on this game. It deserves it. Hopefully the servers won't be taken down soon, though I kind of feel like 2013 will be it for Paradise.

edit:
also, how about a new subtitle for the thread? Restarting events was way long ago. How about "The Victory Lap" or something to imply its days are numbered?

Agent X

Gold Member
Yeah, it's time for a new subtitle. My suggestion would be "Take Me Down".

I also fear for the day that the online servers get the axe. So far, the game's been up for nearly five years, and as far as I know they haven't announced any plans for a shutdown (this would be the place where such an announcement would be made).

I haven't played Burnout Paradise online at all since writing this post over 8 months ago. The only online trophy I'm still missing is one of the Cops and Robbers trophies, "Win a game driving the Watson R-turbo Roadster". That probably shouldn't be too tricky. A much tougher task would be to mop up some of the 141 online challenges and get the Carbon Uberschall 8, or to get all of them and get the P12 Diamond.

If I can tear myself away from Need for Speed: Most Wanted (a worthy spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise, in my book) for a little while, perhaps I'll give it a go! :)

Baron

If I can tear myself away from Need for Speed: Most Wanted (a worthy spiritual successor to Burnout Paradise, in my book) for a little while, perhaps I'll give it a go! :)

I was thinking of picking up Most Wanted...that good, eh? I only just recently dove into Split Second, and am having fun with it.

If anyone is up to trying to get their last needed trophies for Paradise, look me up on PSN - ID is in my profile. I have to juggle a 3-year old at night, so it may take a few tries.

so this is probably my favourite racing game in a long while, not played it for a while.
just downloaded and clean installed the psn version updated to 1.90
and have no sound... :(
everything else has sound no problem, I know its a common problem from googling it, but I cannot find a solution apart from redownloading and reinstalling which seems silly and just a cop out answer.
checked the sound settings on my ps3, everything is going through hdmi to the tv, no other hardware is involved...
any ideas?

Top Bottom