• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

Alx

Not bad at all (except for the pitching precision sometimes). I like all the cooperative moves (joined fireball, healing) and the scoring looks interesting, with the slot machine items to grab. I'm not sure about single player, but it could be really fun with a friend.

Very positive Kinect Sports 2 preview at Eurogamer. All 6 sports.

"The accuracy is so impressive that it feels very weird - almost as if there's an invisible dart flying from your hand and into the screen."

shinnn

Project Draco screens

draco_31z9c.jpg

draco_2kadh.jpg

draco_1w9gq.jpg

draco_41zds.jpg

edit:

Haunt

haunt_logoc9bf.jpg

screenshot01ez38.jpg

screenshot02qzp7.jpg

screenshot03jl1k.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Stormwatch said:
No, in the games I'm trying they show you a picture of yourself and I can clearly see my hand. It just seems like the Kinect is having a hard time tracking it once it starts moving. I was really hoping this would work. I'm going to have to start messing around with different lighting in my room to see if that has an affect.

I picked up the Zoom this evening and it is going back tomorrow. I spent over an hour trying to tweak it and it just doesn't work for me. I'm curious if it's due to light. I just have an extremely hard time believing that this could get such rave reviews and comments throughout the industry and it can't even let me sign in. Wouldn't recognize my hand well enough to even go the Kinect dashboard. I had to squat down and get 3 feet from the sensor for it to see me. Even though when I did all the calibrations it showed it as set up perfect with me standing about 6 feet away from it.

Seriously disappointed. Such a let down. If my gaming area only had one more foot of room I wouldn't have any issues too. So close.

Oh and not only did it have issues actually seeing my waving hand, it couldn't recognize me to sign me in and the little box on the bottom right of the screen that shows you what the sensor is seeing was hugely distorted.

I really do hope it's a lighting issue. My gaming area is not brightly lit and the light is pretty much directly above me when I'm playing. So there are quite a bit of shadows. The only thing is is that the Kinect sensor itself works amazingly in this light. Just needed a little extra space.

So buyer beware. Or at least keep your receipt.

Akim

Banned
Can anyone help me? My kinect isn't working properly. It gives me: a problem has occurred with your kinect sensor (C000009C). I can't find this error anywhere on the Microsoft support website. The kinect will start up, but then it just keeps telling me over and over that it needs to be restarted.

mujun

Truelize said:
I picked up the Zoom this evening and it is going back tomorrow. I spent over an hour trying to tweak it and it just doesn't work for me. I'm curious if it's due to light. I just have an extremely hard time believing that this could get such rave reviews and comments throughout the industry and it can't even let me sign in. Wouldn't recognize my hand well enough to even go the Kinect dashboard. I had to squat down and get 3 feet from the sensor for it to see me. Even though when I did all the calibrations it showed it as set up perfect with me standing about 6 feet away from it.

Seriously disappointed. Such a let down. If my gaming area only had one more foot of room I wouldn't have any issues too. So close.

Oh and not only did it have issues actually seeing my waving hand, it couldn't recognize me to sign me in and the little box on the bottom right of the screen that shows you what the sensor is seeing was hugely distorted.

I really do hope it's a lighting issue. My gaming area is not brightly lit and the light is pretty much directly above me when I'm playing. So there are quite a bit of shadows. The only thing is is that the Kinect sensor itself works amazingly in this light. Just needed a little extra space.

Similar thing happened to me. I'll give it another try but I'm not going to return it, can't be bothered, bought it from overseas.

Hawk269

Stormwatch said:
No, in the games I'm trying they show you a picture of yourself and I can clearly see my hand. It just seems like the Kinect is having a hard time tracking it once it starts moving. I was really hoping this would work. I'm going to have to start messing around with different lighting in my room to see if that has an affect.

It did not work for me as well. I tried it in the moring, afternoon and evening, blinds open, closed, partly open, lights on, lights off and it just had a hard time piccking me up. I noticed that it was making the image really fuzzy...normally when you are in the calibration screen it has a look near the edges of it's visio where it looks pixelated/blocky...with the zoom, it was pretty much everywhere.

I was very disapointed in the product and took it back already. Maybe I got a bad one, but based on my experience it was a waste of time, luckily I was able to get a refund for it at bb.

ektoll

With the exception of the last picture, these Draco screens seems to lack a little bit of polish. I'm waiting for a gameplay video, I loved Panzer Dragoon Orta :D

Alx said:
Not bad at all (except for the pitching precision sometimes). I like all the cooperative moves (joined fireball, healing) and the scoring looks interesting, with the slot machine items to grab. I'm not sure about single player, but it could be really fun with a friend.

Yeah, that's what I really liked about the game, very creative: the move that look like a DragonBall-Fusion Dance is a good idea but the assistance move when your teammate is injured is a GREAT idea! Think about it in GoW...

Konami announced Boom Boom Dance, debut trailer. This actually looks pretty interesting. I'd treat it more like an Elite Beat Agents rhythm game than a dancing game, and the constantly changing art should keep things fun and fresh.

InaudibleWhispa said:
Konami announced Boom Boom Dance, debut trailer. This actually looks pretty interesting. I'd treat it more like an Elite Beat Agents rhythm game than a dancing game, and the constantly changing art should keep things fun and fresh.
Okay, the astronaut suit sold me.

sangreal

Truelize said:

I was going to buy one until I read the Amazon reviews.

sangreal said:
I was going to buy one until I read the Amazon reviews.

Yeah, I was one of the unlucky ones that pre-ordered it and got it the day it came out. I only bought it based on all the reviews that websites such as IGN (Yeah, I know) posted. I guess Nyko must have set them up in special scenarios without needing to navigate menus. I could see how the Zoom would help in the middle of a game such as Dance Central. But, there's no way to actually start up the game if the hand tracking is garbage!

Raoh

I'm returning the nyko zoom not because it doesn't work but because i dont' have a real need for it right now.

It did seem to help recognize me better in a smaller space, that much is true.

But for those that find it not working i would try turning down the light. I noticed during my set up that there were a lot of glare areas coming up in my screen, once i turned off the ceiling light for a more moderate lamp illumination the tracking got better.

I dont' really play kinect games so i'm returning it for a refund and i'll just pick up a better model later when one comes out or get a used nyko one cheaper when better games or uses come out.

Frankfurt

Banned
Akim said:
Can anyone help me? My kinect isn't working properly. It gives me: a problem has occurred with your kinect sensor (C000009C). I can't find this error anywhere on the Microsoft support website. The kinect will start up, but then it just keeps telling me over and over that it needs to be restarted.

Google has a few results ("C000009C kinect"). One guy here says it only happens to him when he starts a game... before Kinect fully boots up???

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/11/p/72661/386754.aspx

Other than that, better return it or go to Microsoft about it.

NYCrooner

Picked up a Kinect about a week ago. What I've played thus far has been fun (Kinect Adventures and Kinect Sports) and pretty intense (UFC Trainer). I see the flaws that many of you point out but I really thing that point and click style games could really proposer on the Kinect. I'd love to see more titles where you navigate through rooms in first person and uncover clues or solve puzzles.

Downhome

I'm getting married on October 15th, and I will be moving into our new apartment next week to get it ready. I am only now able to really get a Kinect because of a lack of space up to this point. Anyway, I just bought a Kinect with the pack-in game and Kinectimals for under $90 on GoHastings. I have no clue if that's a great deal or not, but it is done. I can't wait to finally be able to try Kinect in my own home.

What are some Kinect titles I should zero in on to give a shot to start with? Have it be retail games, XBLA, or other little downloads to really experience it. Thanks!

bananas

Banned
Downhome said:
I'm getting married on October 15th, and I will be moving into our new apartment next week to get it ready. I am only now able to really get a Kinect because of a lack of space up to this point. Anyway, I just bought a Kinect with the pack-in game and Kinectimals for under $90 on GoHastings. I have no clue if that's a great deal or not, but it is done. I can't wait to finally be able to try Kinect in my own home.

What are some Kinect titles I should zero in on to give a shot to start with? Have it be retail games, XBLA, or other little downloads to really experience it. Thanks!

Kinects retail at $150 and the games are $50, so that's 55% off.

Doodis

Downhome said:

Best games thus far are, in my opinion:
Kinect Sports and Dance Central for parties or multiple people.
Child of Eden for single player.

EagleEyes

Downhome said:

Both Fruit Ninja Kinect and Leedmees are very fun downloadable titles to consider also.

Poker360

Downhome said:

Please buy gun stringer! It comes with fruit ninja kinect code as well, and it's only $39.99.

Frankfurt

Banned
Downhome said:

80% of Kinect games have demos. It'll make your choice pretty easy.

Downhome

Well, I got my "used" Kinect from GoHastings today, and I had to take a few pictures of it just to share. Not only did it show up fairly quickly, but it isn't in the least bit used. It's still brand spanking new just like it would be if I went to WalMart to buy it off the shelf right now...

photo1nl.jpg

photo2tk.jpg

photo3xh.jpg

photo4vv.jpg

photo5uz.jpg

photo6dl.jpg

So if you want a Kinet, and want to save around $75 or so, then give it a shot as well. Sometimes I get ticked off at GH, but when they do something right they really do something right!

Here is the exact link I used to buy from:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Kinect-Sensor/sku/282936743.uts

There is a $5 off code out there too for a game. I got the above with a used (truly used) Kinectimals but in great, complete, condition for a total of just under $90.

Best Buy has refurbished Kinects for $69.99 with Kinect Adventures.

Click here.

Full disclosure, that link should have the affiliate data for my wife's website. I tried looking up how to use NeoGaf's affiliate link, but I didn't see the info for that in the FAQ, isn't that where it used to be?

Anyway, I decided to pick one up for this price. Mainly for the kids, since Once Upon a Monster comes out next week, but I'm kinda anxious to try out Fruit Ninja Kinect for myself too.

Alx

I had forgotten I downloaded that Sesame Street game demo for kinect... just tried it, it's cute and funny. Very childish of course, I suppose it's aimed for children, but it does it quite well. I was feeling both ridiculous and delighted mimicking a "sneaky monster" or doing the Thriller pose in the dance section.
Too bad I don't have kids. :p

JTran2003

Thinking about buying a kinect. Do you guys think there will be a price drop this holiday season or should I just buy now? Easy to wait since I dont have the space (my living room is well under the 6ft needed to play it properly...).

Downhome said:
Well, I got my "used" Kinect from GoHastings today, and I had to take a few pictures of it just to share. Not only did it show up fairly quickly, but it isn't in the least bit used. It's still brand spanking new just like it would be if I went to WalMart to buy it off the shelf right now...

photo1nl.jpg

photo2tk.jpg

photo3xh.jpg

photo4vv.jpg

photo5uz.jpg

photo6dl.jpg

So if you want a Kinet, and want to save around $75 or so, then give it a shot as well. Sometimes I get ticked off at GH, but when they do something right they really do something right!

Here is the exact link I used to buy from:

http://www.gohastings.com/product/GAME/Kinect-Sensor/sku/282936743.uts

There is a $5 off code out there too for a game. I got the above with a used (truly used) Kinectimals but in great, complete, condition for a total of just under $90.

I was thinking about buying from them. How has it been working for you?

Alx

JTran2003 said:
Thinking about buying a kinect. Do you guys think there will be a price drop this holiday season or should I just buy now? Easy to wait since I dont have the space (my living room is well under the 6ft needed to play it properly...).

I'm not sure about a price drop, but there are chances that there will be one or more pack-ins with one of the big kinect games of Fall (Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports 2, or maybe those Disney or Sesame Street games). I think there's already one for Rise of Nightmares, too.
So I'd rather look/wait for one of those if I were you, it should be equivalent to a new kinect and one free (big) game. (Kinect Adventure is ok as a glorified demo, but most other games offer a meatier experience).

JTran2003

Alx said:
I'm not sure about a price drop, but there are chances that there will be one or more pack-ins with one of the big kinect games of Fall (Dance Central 2, Kinect Sports 2, or maybe those Disney or Sesame Street games). I think there's already one for Rise of Nightmares, too.
So I'd rather look/wait for one of those if I were you, it should be equivalent to a new kinect and one free (big) game. (Kinect Adventure is ok as a glorified demo, but most other games offer a meatier experience).

I was planning on getting this deal from walmart, adding kinect sports bringing the total to around 170 and comes with child of eden game token... Think I might wait and see my holiday options since I wont be able to play it at optimal setting (living room space is pretty small from tv, not 6ft). Thanks.

Kinect must buy games what are they.

£89.99 on shopto with free child of eden, i want fruit ninja aswell. GF is looking to get a just dance 3.

hows gunstringer?

S1kkZ

StalkerUKCG said:

£89.99 on shopto with free child of eden, i want fruit ninja aswell. GF is looking to get a just dance 3.

hows gunstringer?
dont buy just dance, get dance central and dance central 2 when it comes out. gunstringer is pretty cool and you get fruit ninja for free. you can find demos for fruit ninja, gunstringer and dc1 on xbl.

StalkerUKCG said:

hows gunstringer?
The Gunstringer is good, and you get Fruit Ninja free with it so it kills two birds with one stone. Kinect Sports is great. A lot of content, online multiplayer and heaps of support for local party play. Kinect Sports 2 is out next week too and the advances in tracking and voice support look pretty impressive. Forza support is decent, Kinectimals and Sesame Street are great for kids and Leemees is a solid Live Arcade title. Your Shape is generally the most popular fitness game (though UFC Personal Trainer was rated well too) and a sequel to that is due soon too.

I'd recommend that your girlfriend get Dance Central 2 rather than Just Dance 3. Just Dance may state 4 player dancing, but I don't believe for a second that it is really tracking 4 people with any degree of accuracy (especially since the routines involve standing in front of one another and swapping positions; something that can confuse Kinect with two people). The Dance Central tracking is superior, has better feedback and (in my opinion) a better tracklist (with regular DLC) and choreography. Just Dance 3 seems like it'd be just as fun as Dance Central at a party from my limited experience with it, but I find it a bit too simple and cheesy and overall a little bit janky (menu navigation, tracking etc) and inconsistent. I'm sure she'd have fun with either though.

Top Bottom