• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

You can stand relatively close to the tv in Child of Eden, I'd try it without the zoom. I never had any issues with the cursor when I played and stood a lot closer than other games.

I would recommend trying the many demos and XBLA trials available, kinect games appreciation is very dependent on the user.
My own slightly updated recommendation list :

- Kinect sports 1 (don't know if there is a demo, but it's one of the most solid titles). Wasn't thrilled by KS2 sports and demo, though.
- Rhythm Party (XBLA, so you can try it before buying). Music selection is so-so, but the gameplay is great. Solo only, IIRC.
- Dance Masters / Dance Evolution : great dancing game to the usual Konami J-pop. There used to be a demo available, I think it's still out there. I like it better than Dance Central, both for music and gameplay.
- Diabolical Pitch, for something different and crazy. On XBLA too.

Dancing games aren't my bag, but the missus will likely want a try. I'll gladly have a go at the rest though :)

You can stand relatively close to the tv in Child of Eden, I'd try it without the zoom. I never had any issues with the cursor when I played and stood a lot closer than other games.

I'll try and describe the issue better:

I can use my right hand to move the curser around, and shoot, when shooting though the camera does a short sharp pan upwards slightly (most probably my fault/incompetance).
When I try and bring the left hand in for the alternate/rapid shot (the purple one, I can't remember the name) the camera spazzes out as if it thinks my right hand is teleporting around the place.

With the Zoom, I'm standing roughly 4-5ft away, without it it doesn't track me at any distance.

At 7-7.5ft you're hitting the sofa.

getting a new sofa delivered today that I think is a bit less deep than the current one by a few inches, and we'll be able to put it right against the wall (current one is about 6in away from the wall) so I may be able to gain roughly another foot of playspace.

Fingers crossed.

Fuck MS for thinking that everyone has 12ft of space between the TV and anything else. I'd love to know their rational on that line of thought.

Frankfurt

Banned
Child of Eden - fun, but awkward. All signs point to me standing in the right spot and all of me being detected, yet when playing the curser goes all over the place. It gets confused about which hand is which all the time.

The Gunstringer - Pretty damn awesome. Love the style, presentation, etc, but like CoE it seems to get confused easily. I have to hold my hands up pretty high (like, shoulder height) and moving the curser around to shoot gets awkward.

Blame the Zoom. I never had a single issue with either.

I have the Zoom but haven't used it yet. Download all the demos in the marketplace. Rise of Nightmares and Dance Central (and to a lesser degree, Kinect Sports) are the only "must-buy" titles that you haven't tried, IMO.

The only games that gave me any kind of trouble were Rise of Nightmares asking me to step back (i could still play it perfectly without stepping back, though), doing ground exercises in exercise games (since i only have 9 feet or so of space, i couldn't strecth my arm on the ground completelly) and Kinect Adventures having visible lag in the ball-bouncing game.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Tried playing Rhythm Party and my hands kept going off screen, got me so frustrated I went to order the Zoom on Amazon.

Those reviews are abysmal. I kinda don't want to get it just in fear of having to pay the return shipping if it doesn't work. :-/

shinnn

yup... the kinect tracking is tottaly fucked with him. Even the "telescope" movement is not working.

He needs to clean the space. There's mannequins right to him. wtf.

forgot this thread was still around...

there's actually a demo for Kinect Star Wars if anyone was curious. Obviously the game has some issues, but I figured someone wouldn't mind trying it out for free (especially since Kinect game playability can vary so much depending on the user's setup)

full disclosure, I worked on the game, so I'm always interested in hearing about people's experiences with it, good or bad :p

Alx

I'm not sure the mannequins are his main problem... most of the time when the tracking is lost the software finds arms around his neck, or near his knees. The silhouette seems ok when it is displayed by the game though. I still suspect the shirt folds, or maybe the dog tag he's wearing. It it catches bad reflections, it could randomly mess up the depth measurement. Just a random guess, though.

forgot this thread was still around...

there's actually a demo for Kinect Star Wars if anyone was curious. Obviously the game has some issues, but I figured someone wouldn't mind trying it out for free (especially since Kinect game playability can vary so much depending on the user's setup)

full disclosure, I worked on the game, so I'm always interested in hearing about people's experiences with it, good or bad :p

I'm afraid you won't hear many nice things about it... ;)
I did try the demo, and while I liked the general ideas (yes, even the dancing), there is one point that killed all enjoyment : the looooong loading times.
I don't remember having troubles with the controls though, except maybe for the jumping commands (but I live in an appartment on the 4th floor with a wooden floor, so I'm usually very careful with kinect games requiring to jump, what with the neighbours and all :p )
*edit : I found my impressions on the demo at the time : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37780750&postcount=610

I'm not sure the mannequins are his main problem... most of the time when the tracking is lost the software finds arms around his neck, or near his knees. The silhouette seems ok when it is displayed by the game though. I still suspect the shirt folds, or maybe the dog tag he's wearing. It it catches bad reflections, it could randomly mess up the depth measurement. Just a random guess, though.

I'm afraid you won't hear many nice things about it... ;)
I did try the demo, and while I liked the general ideas (yes, even the dancing), there is one point that killed all enjoyment : the looooong loading times.
I don't remember having troubles with the controls though, except maybe for the jumping commands (but I live in an appartment on the 4th floor with a wooden floor, so I'm usually very careful with kinect games requiring to jump, what with the neighbours and all :p )
*edit : I found my impressions on the demo at the time : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37780750&postcount=610

heh, yeah, that was the last place I posted it. Figured I'd bring it over to the general Kinect thread once I saw that it was bumped. Thanks for the impressions though.

jmdajr

Ill never mock Kinect voice commands. They've been so useful with my almost two month old. Watch Netflix with ease!

Dabanton

Ill never mock Kinect voice commands. They've been so useful with my almost two month old. Watch Netflix with ease!

Revelation isn't it?

It's become something that I don't think of now I just do naturally.

So much quicker than turning the controller back on.

Alx

I couldn't find an official topic, so I'm raising this thread from its (shallow) grave, but I just wanted to mention that I tried the Just Dance 4 demo yesterday and was surprised at how much fun I had. I always thought the serie had the best music selection among music games, but the gameplay was just uninspiring and you didn't feel like you were rewarded for your moves.
While it looks like it's still true somewhat, and that you wouldn't know how to do most of the moves from the icons alone, the choreography is so crazy that it makes up for it (the three songs of the demo are "What makes you beautiful", "So What" and "the Final Countdown". I skipped the first three JD, but I'm tempted to buy that game. ^^

I also played a bit of Wreckateer, it's ok-ish (especially for a game I got for free). The controls are good, but I can't see myself playing it frequently. I never was into Angry Birds and the likes, anyway.

While this is bumped just to let anyone know who doesn't, Kinect Party the Double Fine sequel to Happy Action Theater will be available free from December 18th - 31st.

onQ123

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/19/us-military-exploring-kinect-based-physical-therapy/

kinect-physical-therapy-1355973555.jpg

Hex

Banned
Ok I never expected to say this, but Kinect is pretty fun and pretty great.
Had some experiences way back, and it was terrible but was at Best Buy ast week and they had a demo and we had fun.
Sooo....I bought it tonight, also grabbed Nike + for my gf and I to play with and Brain Training and it came with Kinect Adventures.
Going to grab Disney Adventures tomorrow since Target gas it for 19.99 (at least they did tonight).
Also the Nyko adapter for smaller areas is great and works perfectly.

So....suggestions, reccomendations?

Alx

I had a few problems with Dance Central 3 while using the Nyko, you may want to try the demo first. As a general advice, you should try all the kinect demos available (there are many of them), depending on the user some games will klick and others won't (and some are to be avoided at all costs).

My personal suggestions :
- Kinect Sports 1 (must have... I think there is a pack including KS1 and KS2)
- Dance Masters
- Rhythm Party
- Just Dance 4 (yes that's a lot of dancing games... I'm not too fond of Dance Central though)
- Mini Ninja Adventures (childish but well done and rather fun)
- Child of Eden
- Fruit Ninja

Other frequent suggestions are the Gunstringer, Diabolical Pitch, Happy Action Theater (for parties), and for kids the Disney or Sesame Street games.

Surfheart

I just got a new slim to replace my recently deceased Elite and was thinking about grabbing a local kinect deal.

I'm worried about my setup tho, I measured diagonally from the top of my tv to the edge of my couch and it's just under 6 feet.. do you think kinect will work for me?

Edit: I'm not much into dancing, but will be looking at Adventures (of course), Gunstringer, fruit ninja and Disney, sesame street for my son.

Slermy

I've found Fruit Ninja Kinect to work pretty well, even if you're fairly close (also seems to be the only game that will actually calibrate the angle of the sensor). Most other games need the space though.

At the very least you'd still be able to use all of the voice stuff, and really, that and Fruit Ninja are the biggest reasons to own a Kinect for me.

Surfheart

Thanks for the replies.

If I wall mount the Kinect behind my TV I can get about 7 1/2 feet distance to my couch.
Will the kinect being behind the TV by a foot or so cause me issues?

Surfheart

Well I got my kinect and it's working well. Ended up moving my crappy old couch out and replacing it with a couple of single seaters that I can easily move out of the way for Kinect sessions. I actually have enough space now for more than one player.

This thing is kinda fun, really gets you moving. I tried a few games that I thought would work sitting down but had issues with them; Fruit ninja and Gunstringer. Is it possible to play Child of Eden sitting down?

I seem to remember testing playing Child of Eden sitting down and it worked, though I mostly played standing up. The Gunstringer worked sitting for me too though. You have to sit at the edge of the seat, if you lie back Kinect will sometimes confuse you with the back of the seat (unless it's a small seat like a computer or dining chair which shouldn't be a problem).

Your son (and you) should love Kinect Party/Happy Action Theater. Check it out!

Surfheart

I seem to remember testing playing Child of Eden sitting down and it worked, though I mostly played standing up. The Gunstringer worked sitting for me too though. You have to sit at the edge of the seat, if you lie back Kinect will sometimes confuse you with the back of the seat (unless it's a small seat like a computer or dining chair which shouldn't be a problem).

Your son (and you) should love Kinect Party/Happy Action Theater. Check it out!

Thanks I've been keen to check those out. They are XBLA games?

Top Bottom