• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinect Thread: YOU are the controller!

If anyone is looking at last minute gift ideas, Best Buy has buy 2 get 1 free on all Kinect games right now and the Microsoft published games are all $25 so you can get 3 for $50.

If anyone is looking at last minute gift ideas, Best Buy has buy 2 get 1 free on all Kinect games right now and the Microsoft published games are all $25 so you can get 3 for $50.

Does anyone know if both kinect sports games are worth getting. I wanted to get three of the $25 games and I was thinking kinect sports, kinect sports season 2, and disneyland adventures but I didn't know if there's something better.

Does anyone know if both kinect sports games are worth getting. I wanted to get three of the $25 games and I was thinking kinect sports, kinect sports season 2, and disneyland adventures but I didn't know if there's something better.

Even though Season 2 is a bit light on longevity compared to the first, I'd say it's totally worth going for through this deal. Of course, there is a monthly release of DLC for KS S2 to possibly offset the lean offering on disc.

Frankfurt

Banned
I'm amazed that we still don't have a real martial arts or boxing game. Not even announced!

Copy Dance Central, add punching. Kthxbai.

Just picked up Twisted Mania from Gamestation in the UK for £9.99 brand new. I'd definitely recommend it at that price as a fun party game for the holidays. It'd make a great Live Arcade title, but there certainly isn't enough content and variety to make it worthy of a full retail product, but at that price it's great. Presentation is fine, menus aren't a mess and the games work well. Easily the best "hole in the wall" implementation I've tried on Kinect yet.

Phreaker

Just joined the kinect ranks and curious to know what's worth investigating on arcade & funlabs.
Any suggestions?

Fruit Ninja Kinect. It was $5 yesterday. I think there are only 4 Kinect Arcade games, might as well try out all the demos since you got a new toy.

I just got Kinect for xmas and am really enjoying The Gunstringer. I love Panzer Dragon/Star Fox games so I would enjoy this even if it used regular controls. It also came with Kinect Adventures and Fruit Ninja. Adventures is alright, but Ninja feels like a tech demo. I really want to try out the two Kinect Sports titles now. Loved the demos.

I was in Fred Meyers(Kroger chain in the northwest) and they are advertising pre orders for the Kinect Star Wars bundle saying it's coming out on April 12(not positive on the date, might be a few days later)

I don't know how new this is as I just got back to Alaska but I couldn't find anything about this anywhere else on the net. Will grab one of those coupons tomorrow to get more info as I will likely be back(not a whole lot else to do in Fairbanks when it's 40 below.)

Edit-Went back and they said it's coming out on April 3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Alright, so I had completely forgotten about one of those "rewards" programs tied to a credit card of mine. I have a ton of points stored up and one of the items I could get with those points is Kinect. Worth picking up for free?

NavNucST3

Alright, so I had completely forgotten about one of those "rewards" programs tied to a credit card of mine. I have a ton of points stored up and one of the items I could get with those points is Kinect. Worth picking up for free?

Given your prior comments I would suggest that even at no cost you might be better off using your points on something else that you have an interest in.

Anyone thinking about getting disney land adventures should pick it up. Its actually really good and the amount of stuff to do and collect is pretty crazy. Plus the graphics and art style in some of the disney worlds are amazing.

Does anyone have any impressions of haunt, besides the demo.

PSGames

It's pretty cool for even non-gaming use like dashboard and netflix navigation.

It's pretty cool for even non-gaming use like dashboard and netflix navigation.

The motion navigation is pretty worthless since it takes forever to do anything with it. But the voice navigation is awesome. I love being able to do chores (especially stuff like dishes which results in wet hands) and still be able to control the xbox with my voice to pause Hulu and such.

Alx

I remember there was an official extension announced, that would plug into the dedicated kinect port of the new models, but it was rather expensive.
A regular USB extension should do the trick, provided you have a power source near the camera (assuming that the kinect would work on a new console even on a regular USB port, but I don't see why not).

NavNucST3

Hmm, some of those other uses could be fun.

Is there an extension cord available for the camera?

You want to use an active usb; do not buy the official extension as the price is absurd.

Check my earlier post. EDIT: For anyone that might want it and is in the US 48 contiguous I still have that 32' active usb unopened.

Alx

It's surprising to have so few augmented reality games using kinect, when it's one of the most obvious use of the device.
I tried the demo of Action Theater, and I thought it was ok. I didn't expect it to be a 9/10 game, but why not.

*edit : heh, I like the conclusion of the review a lot :
Kids are not dumb. They get this stuff far better than we do, as our creative arteries harden, choking on years of accumulated dogma about what games must be. We think we're gamers, but we've got nothing on kids. They understand. They know. It's what they do, all day, every day: make games in their head from the things around them.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
So I'm thinking of getting my wife a Kinect for her birthday (and hoping she doesn't read the forum like she did back in the day) since Best Buy has it for $100. I took some quick measurements of our living room because if it's going to involve moving the couch every time we use it, I'm not gonna bother.

Below is a highly detailed Microsoft Paint schematic of our living room. I always assumed the coffee table would need to move, and that's no issue. There's a couple of feet behind the couch to push it back, but I'd rather not bother with that if possible. If I put the Kinect sensor directly in front of the TV, that gives about me about 8 and a half feet of clearance between it and the couch. If I were mount it above the TV on the wall, I'd get 10. Really the width could be considered more than 10 feet, but that's if I evenly lop off the space to the right to keep the TV centered. I'm not sure how much height matters, but it's a 9 foot ceiling with a fan directly above-head. On the left side there's one good-sized window with blinds and curtains that can be pulled closed if necessary. Behind the couch is the dining area, and then another large window that lets in some light. Would this make for a remotely optimal Kinect setup?

kinect_layout1c2krz.jpg

Alx

Mounting the kinect on the wall would be optimal. You may have to move the coffee table to play though, at least for games tracking your feet (which is most of them).
The windows may be a problem if there is direct sunlight, but nothing that curtains cannot fix.

elcranky

Banned
So I'm thinking of getting my wife a Kinect for her birthday (and hoping she doesn't read the forum like she did back in the day) since Best Buy has it for $100. I took some quick measurements of our living room because if it's going to involve moving the couch every time we use it, I'm not gonna bother.

Below is a highly detailed Microsoft Paint schematic of our living room. I always assumed the coffee table would need to move, and that's no issue. There's a couple of feet behind the couch to push it back, but I'd rather not bother with that if possible. If I put the Kinect sensor directly in front of the TV, that gives about me about 8 and a half feet of clearance between it and the couch. If I were mount it above the TV on the wall, I'd get 10. Really the width could be considered more than 10 feet, but that's if I evenly lop off the space to the right to keep the TV centered. I'm not sure how much height matters, but it's a 9 foot ceiling with a fan directly above-head. On the left side there's one good-sized window with blinds and curtains that can be pulled closed if necessary. Behind the couch is the dining area, and then another large window that lets in some light. Would this make for a remotely optimal Kinect setup?

kinect_layout1c2krz.jpg

Either on top of the TV or on the wall would be fine. Ideal Height is about 6' or 2'. Mounting would give you more leeway for optimal distance. Many games include a semi-calibration step where it lets you know if you have optimal space.

Unless you are very tall, 6-8 should be plenty. That said, if you tend to move alot having the extra space is probably a good thing.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Appreciate it guys. Looks like I'm going by Best Buy after work. Chances are I'll go the lazy route initially and put it in front of the TV and inevitably wall mount it above it later on. Thanks.

Mounting above the TV would be optimal, but your set-up seems like it should be fine. 6 feet is recommended for single player, 8 feet for multiplayer. An extra foot or two helps for perfect positioning, and if a game requires you to step back, for example, which is why putting it above your TV would be preferable as it'll give you more space to move. But in a worst case situation it'll still be playable. Anything that requires only your arms like The Gunstringer and Child of Eden you'll even be able to play sitting down without moving the coffee table.

Microsoft unveiled a new XBLA game today called Wreckateer that looks really nice. it's pretty much Kinects answer to Angry Birds -- pull back a catapult, control the projectile and destroy as much of a castle as possible.

Also Kinect Sports Season 2 is getting basketball in April. The second free pack of mini games was released last week.

derFeef

That's cool:

Microsoft picks 11 startups to build apps for Kinect in Microsoft’s Kinect Accelerator program

Here’s a list of what the finalists are working on:

Freak’n Genius lets anyone animate using Kinect.
GestSure Technologies brings gestural, touchless interaces into the operating room.
Ikkos uses algorithms to teach movements so that anyone can move like an Olympian.
Jintronix uses Kinect and 3D gaming to improve rehabilitative therapies.
Kimetric is in stealth mode.
Manctl made a cheap 3D scanner using Kinect.
Nconnex is using the Kinect to rethink healthcare, e-commerce, and education. One of the products lets you try furniture before you buy it.
Styku wants to reinvent how you shop online by giving you an avatar that lets you “try on” clothes before you buy it.
Ubi can turn any display into a 3D touch-screen.
Voxon wants to democratize 3D tech by letting artists, filmmakers, and game designers dabble in 3D more freely.
Zebare is in stealth mode.

I can finally use my Kinect as more than just a voice input device!!!

My buddy bought one of those Nyko Zoom thingies that I hear are really terribad, but his setup is similar to mine (similar furniture positioning, room dimensions, etc) and he said it worked great for him so he brought it round and we tried it out, and it was ok. Would still need to move the sofa for some stuff (when calibrating the Avatar Kinect thing I couldn't move any further back than the middle set of squares unless I move the sofa).

So I saw they had them on Play for £14.99 rather than £24.99 and snapped one up, and it's finally arrived.

Tried a few things so far:

Child of Eden - fun, but awkward. All signs point to me standing in the right spot and all of me being detected, yet when playing the curser goes all over the place. It gets confused about which hand is which all the time.

Fruit Ninja Kinect - Never played before and was pleasantly surpised with how much fun I had with it. I'm out of shape though and found it quite tiring after a while. Thinking about grabbing the DLC for it, unless rationality snaps me out of it.

The Gunstringer - Pretty damn awesome. Love the style, presentation, etc, but like CoE it seems to get confused easily. I have to hold my hands up pretty high (like, shoulder height) and moving the curser around to shoot gets awkward.

Maybe it's just me.

Still, awesome stuff.

Been downloading Fun Labs crap as the majority are free, and the ones you pay for eventually become free. Is there a list anywhere?

Is there anything else "must have" that I should look out for? We have Kinect Adventures and the GF has Just Dance 3 (although she's not touched it yet).

Alx

I would recommend trying the many demos and XBLA trials available, kinect games appreciation is very dependent on the user.
My own slightly updated recommendation list :

- Kinect sports 1 (don't know if there is a demo, but it's one of the most solid titles). Wasn't thrilled by KS2 sports and demo, though.
- Rhythm Party (XBLA, so you can try it before buying). Music selection is so-so, but the gameplay is great. Solo only, IIRC.
- Dance Masters / Dance Evolution : great dancing game to the usual Konami J-pop. There used to be a demo available, I think it's still out there. I like it better than Dance Central, both for music and gameplay.
- Diabolical Pitch, for something different and crazy. On XBLA too.

Top Bottom