• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Oboro Muramasa pics! 2D awesomeness! :o

Mamesj

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Okay, so, I know that no game has the right to become a hit, but come ON. They made it objectively gorgeous. They put it on the Wii. They utilized the Wii's stuff capably. The music's brilliant. The concept is easily understandable. They're fricking accomodating EVERY type of gamer, even though they don't have to do so. The level and enemy/boss design appear to be well-done.

For God's sake, Vanillaware deserves a smash.

I'm fully expecting another Okami (PS2 or Wii version, take your pic), but I'll be there day 1 for this.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
TheKingsCrown said:
Do want that game. Is there even a 1% chance this is coming to the U.S. though?

Already confirmed for NA and EU release. Don't know if there is a date yet.

ReiGun

neo2046 said:
2gsjq7p.gif

Looks simply stunning. I cant wait for this.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mamesj said:
I'm fully expecting another Okami (PS2 or Wii version, take your pic), but I'll be there day 1 for this.

It will be lucky to do that well IMO.

kinggroin

Banned
schuelma said:
It will be lucky to do that well IMO.

Sad to agree (even though the game has lost it's appeal to me personally). A lot of effort put into this, and it'll most likely be for naught.

Should've been an original wiiware or Live Arcade game.

ultim8p00

Banned
kinggroin said:
Sad to agree (even though the game has lost it's appeal to me personally). A lot of effort put into this, and it'll most likely be for naught.

Oh man imagine the numbers this would do as an XBLA game.

kinggroin said:

with the level of artistic detail there's no way it could fit the size limits either for wiiware or xbla

GhaleonQ said:
Okay, so, I know that no game has the right to become a hit, but come ON. They made it objectively gorgeous. They put it on the Wii. They utilized the Wii's stuff capably. The music's brilliant. The concept is easily understandable. They're fricking accomodating EVERY type of gamer, even though they don't have to do so. The level and enemy/boss design appear to be well-done.

For God's sake, Vanillaware deserves a smash.

Odin Sphere sold better then any other JRPG to come to America in the past 2 years besides TWEWY and Lost Odyessy if that makes you feel better. It's even a "Greatest Hits" title. Then again that's only 150,000 units. (Source is that LTD list posted in the NPD thread). Then again it probably sold more then double that world-wide.

kinggroin said:

Why Odin Sphere sold over a quarter million copies which is as much as the best selling console downloadable title of all-time. Being on Wiiware, PSN, and XBLA would no doubt have the game sell far less then it would being on retail. And this game is just going to expand on that. It should be fine. The only thing that slightly disturbs me is that XSeed and Marvelous are handling the title and not Atlus.

P.S. I still have dibs on the "Official Thread" when it comes out to North America right?

neoism

ReiGun said:
2gsjq7p.gif

Looks simply stunning. I cant wait for this.
I love that gif:lol :lol :lol
Trailer looks fucking awesome! I can't wait for this, this and Cave Story(IF they would ever release it) is the only thing for the Wii I'm interested in!
Hoping for at least a summer release like OS!

Wait, that release date on Gametrailers... is that the US release date or has it been push back in Japan? If it's out next week one of our brethren in Nippon should have had an OT up for it already.

I wanted to import it but I still don't know a lick of Japanese and it looks like there a fair bit more to the game than I expected :(

xero273

Saint Gregory said:
Wait, that release date on Gametrailers... is that the US release date or has it been push back in Japan? If it's out next week one of our brethren in Nippon should have had an OT up for it already.

I wanted to import it but I still don't know a lick of Japanese and it looks like there a fair bit more to the game than I expected :(

That's the japanese date.

Saint Gregory said:

Hey I already called to make the Official Thread. :p

But anyway I'm going to do one with the North America release.

neoism

I've had it reserved for about 7 months on amazon:lol, its date is July 31st!
Not real I assume! Hope it comes out sooner!

Hiltz

Yes, Muramasa: The Demon Blade has already been announced for North America and Europe. As for North America, its scheduled to come out later in 2009 but some retailers apparently expect it to come out in July. Europe will have to wait until Spring 2010.

I guess no one posted the Famitsu review of the game, at least not in this thread. It received a 9/9/8/8 which gives it a 34/40. To compare, OdinSphere received a score of 32/40.

- Single player mode 10 - 12 hours
- Two players about 30 hours (I assume this refers to finishing it with both characters)

Pros:

- graphics, art style, & animation
- combat
- music
- full voice acting
- dialogue
- well-balanced difficulty
- gameplay length
- replay value
- short loading times
- collect swords (108 altogether)

Cons:

- repetitive gameplay/ straight forward level design
- no real story climax
- not much difference in the controls of both playble characters
- death counts as a small penalty

Famitsu Reviewer Comments:

"The smooth animation, vibrant colors, and high-quality dialogue is enough to take anyone aback, and the feeling of speed matches the music well."

"It's like you can feel yourself melt into the intricately-drawn and beautiful characters and demons."

"The fighting system, which has you switching between three swords, is clear and easy, absorbing you into play."

"There is character raising and other RPG elements, but largely it's a traditional 2D action game."

"The two heroes control pretty much the same way."

"you're still driven on by things like sword collecting and the visuals of every stage, and "it's been set up to be as fast-paced as possible, down to the incredibly quick load times, so you wind up playing for hours despite yourself."

"The game's a process of repeatedly reaching the finish line and defeating a boss, making me think the game was a little plain."

"You never run into anything particularly tricky during normal play, so the game itself can feel a bit monotonous."

"There is only a small penalty for death, undeniably making the game not that intense an experience."

^^^So it's essentially Odin Sphere with the technical problems fixed (slowdown and loading), shorter length, and more intuitive attack actions...YAY! :D

Damn that's a good review from Famitsu :D Some of the comments at the end are a little troubling but hopefully they're just nit-picking to make sure the review is balanced. I had no idea it was on track for release so soon, I can hardly wait!!!
Flying_Phoenix said:
^^^So it's essentially Odin Sphere with the technical problems fixed (slowdown and loading), shorter length, and more intuitive attack actions...YAY! :D
Also note that while they did complain about some repetitiveness in the gameplay there's no complaints about repetitive backgrounds, a huge complaint about OS.

Hiltz

Given the nature of the hack and slash gameplay and how linear the level design is, I suppose that's why Famitsu felt it was repetitive. On the bright side, they liked the fast-paced combat so I'm sure most of us won't have much of an issue with the gameplay.

Looking at the game's website, I'm impressed by all of the creative and different types of enemies. So awesome.

Famitsu didn't mention any technical issues like with the frame rate so hopefully there isn't any problem there especially given the detailed graphics, fluid animation and fast-paced combat.

Saint Gregory said:
Also note that while they did complain about some repetitiveness in the gameplay there's no complaints about repetitive backgrounds, a huge complaint about OS.

Good. The constant backgrounds were my biggest problem with the game. I wouldn't have a problem if it was like say Devi May Cry 4 or The World Ends With You in that regard, but instead of being a 12 hour game it was a 30 to 40 hour game and seeing the same backgrounds constantly was an annoyance. Not to mention unneeded. I mean it's not like backgrounds are sprites, they really aren't that hard to produce. But what's even more ridiculous is that you consistently went to the same backgrounds in every character switch
yet in the final boss battles every background was different. They could afford their time and resources to make every final boss battle have a different background but not put in 3 or 4 extra backgrounds in the main game?

Hiltz said:
the fast-paced combat so I'm sure most of us won't have much of an issue with the gameplay.

Odin Sphere's gameplay was fast paced and people complained. Well unless they meant facepaced attacks then yeah I could imagine less people complaining.

Who cares about Famitsu? They make more money from ads than from subscriptions and are sell-outs i.e. will always give big-budget game high score cause of all the advert money. How is Death penalty a con? Omfg, actually a Wii game that doesn't hold your hand?!?

Joule

Castor Krieg said:
Who cares about Famitsu? They make more money from ads than from subscriptions and are sell-outs i.e. will always give big-budget game high score cause of all the advert money. How is Death penalty a con? Omfg, actually a Wii game that doesn't hold your hand?!?
Uh, I wouldn't think that Muramasa is a game with that big of a budget. They actually say that because the death penalty is minor, it detracts from the intensity of the experience.

Joule said:
Uh, I wouldn't think that Muramasa is a game with that big of a budget. They actually say that because the death penalty is minor, it detracts from the intensity of the experience.
Thx for clarifying that, was under the impression that penalty on death was somehow a negative thing.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Odin Sphere sold better then any other JRPG to come to America in the past 2 years besides TWEWY and Lost Odyessy if that makes you feel better. It's even a "Greatest Hits" title. Then again that's only 150,000 units. (Source is that LTD list posted in the NPD thread). Then again it probably sold more then double that world-wide.

Why Odin Sphere sold over a quarter million copies which is as much as the best selling console downloadable title of all-time. Being on Wiiware, PSN, and XBLA would no doubt have the game sell far less then it would being on retail. And this game is just going to expand on that. It should be fine. The only thing that slightly disturbs me is that XSeed and Marvelous are handling the title and not Atlus.

P.S. I still have dibs on the "Official Thread" when it comes out to North America right?
I call BS on SSFIIHD REMIX being the highest selling downloadable.. more than hexic and uno?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Review sounds exactly like what was said about Odin Sphere. I loved Odin Sphere, therefore I will love this, but many will be disappointed.

The S-Word said:
I call BS on SSFIIHD REMIX being the highest selling downloadable.. more than hexic and uno?

Console downloadable titles.

K.Jack said:
Review sounds exactly like what was said about Odin Sphere. I loved Odin Sphere, therefore I will love this, but many will be disappointed.

Those many should play a different game instead of complaining about one that doesn't suit their tastes.

Volcynika

kenji said:
uhm.. i've heard it comes out in US in june.. is it true? o.o

Comes out I think this month in Japan, so unless they've been localizing it during the game's actual development, I doubt it. Bug XSeed! :p

I bet on Fall at the earliest, though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Volcynika said:
Comes out I think this month in Japan, so unless they've been localizing it during the game's actual development, I doubt it. Bug XSeed! :p

I bet on Fall at the earliest, though.

Next week in Japan

Cedille

I wasn't really hyped up for this game, as Odin Sphere was good but too flawed and I don't have an Wii to begin with, but what I have been watching via peercast is terrific. It reminds me that Odin Sphere had a relatively simple gameplay due to Atlus' request.

I am also impressed by music. It's not as bland as much of Odin Sphere, and far much more memorable than Okami.

Top Bottom