• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Noobcraft

WTF Driveclub in no change 3D models of cars between photo mode and ingame ...
I legit showed it in a video on this page lol. In time trials it doesn't because there is just 1 car on the track. If you are in a race with AI cars present, the model quality drops until photomode is opened. For the record, Forza does it too.

Sebmugi

I legit showed it in a video on this page lol. In time trials it doesn't because there is just 1 car on the track. If you are in a race with AI cars present, the model quality drops until photomode is opened.

I think not, with the hours I spent to take pictures in the game I never view it ?!? oO
in DC, there is a single 3D model car

dr guildo

I think not, with the hours I spent to take pictures in the game I never view it ?!? oO

It was debunked long time ago, DC does swap models when there is more than one car on the track. I experienced it myself at home to be sure, because it really seamingless to notice...

I never saw it either. I don't know how these guys where able to see it.

Again:

fNQhH0y.gif

The aero flaps are shaped differently and aren't flush in the gameplay model, that's the most noticeable difference. I don't know how you don't see it.

in DC, there is a single 3D model car

This is 100% untrue. Every game nowadays will have multiple LODs for any vehicle model. Do you really think that when a car is on the other side of a 2mi track that the game is still rendering it as its ~800,000 polygon model?

Noobcraft

Try it out. Pick a car like the Huayara in the gif, open a race with 12 AI cars, and alternate between gameplay and photomode. You can watch the models update.

Again:

fNQhH0y.gif

The aero flaps are shaped differently and aren't flush in the gameplay model, that's the most noticeable difference. I don't know how you don't see it.

This is 100% untrue. Every game nowadays will have multiple LODs for any vehicle model. Do you really think that when a car is on the other side of a 2mi track that the game is still rendering it as its ~800,000 polygon model?
You are missing my point. I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm saying I've been playing the game and have gotten 100% completion of the game and have taken multiple screenshots but never saw the model swap until now.

Sebmugi

Again:

fNQhH0y.gif

this picture shows what exactly?
it is the same car with or without photo function? or so with or without other competitors?
because we'll just say that the car loses the dust with own clean car option in photo mode ..

I'll go check it by myself and I make screens

it is the same car with or without photo function? or so with or without other competitors?
because we'll just say that the car loses the dust with own clean car option in photo mode ..

It's swapping between gameplay and photo mode. The one with the UI visible at the bottom and the higher detail model is photo mode. The model definitely is different, not just the dirt layer.

Synth

because we'll just say that the car loses the dust with own clean car option in photo mode

Just watch this.

If there are multiple cars on track, Driveclub swaps out car models in photomode. In 1 car time trials, the model is the same in gameplay and photomode.
https://youtu.be/pOG1lzbzjCg

I'm legitimately surprised that someone that otherwise seems to have such an eye for detail would be questioning this tbh.

Gestault

I hadn't realized the idea that a game uses multiple LODs depending on mode/load was contentious. That's normal and necessary from a design and tech point of view.

Sebmugi

ah ok, frankly I doubt but I'm going to screens that with and without competitors and with and without the post process the photo mode ;)

Synth

I hadn't realized the idea that a game uses multiple LODs depending on mode/load was contentious. That's normal and necessary from a design and tech point of view.

Well, I suppose you could argue that it's not necessary, because it could just use the lower quality assets all the time, hehe.

Gestault

ah ok, frankly I doubt but I'm going to screens that with and without competitors and with and without the post process the photo mode ;)

Lol, right? I've been pleased with the amount of effort you've already put in with trying to match lighting position/paint/etc.

Gestault

I'm raising an eyebrow at 800x450 screen-caps, especially when it's a half-attributed batch sent over from another message board. Looking at the source thread, image editing is welcome for those albums, which is part of why I'm a little wary.

dr guildo

I'm raising an eyebrow at 800x450 screen-caps, especially when it's a barely-attributed batch sent over from another message board.

Hence the link in my posts.
What do you mean by half attributed batch since I name my source ?
And the thread is about showcasing scenery, a kind of tribute to Evo's attention to the detail as explained here :

These photos can include cars, but the main focus should be on the extra details that the developers at Evolution have painstakingly added into this game.

But I understand that DC is sometimes unbelievably mimicking reality by its lighting and its unprecedented level of details in every departement.

Gestault

Hence the link in my posts.
What do you mean by half attributed batch since I name my source ?

I mean those are shots from individual posters, and there's a lot of pride in their photography. Saying they came from [x website] isn't proper attribution. There's the additional concern that the board allows post-editing to optimize their shots (and I think that might be the source of the odd resolution, though I'm not positive about that.)

dr guildo

I mean those are shots from individual posters, and there's a lot of pride in their photography

Sorry, but you are exagerating, since the moment I name where those shots came from, nobody can think they are mine, so please, stop with that shit.
And I know very well how someone can feel when one of his screenshots is exposed somewhere else, many sites stole some of my pics without naming they were mine, and you know what, I was very proud that they appreciated my talent despite of this missing mention, this is internet.

Gestault

Sorry, but you are exagerating, since the moment I name where those shots came from, nobody can think they are mine, so please, stop with that shit.

Please attribute other people's work. I'd rather not have a COM 101 discussion on why we attribute individual artists. If their shots are worth sharing, they're worth attributing.

dr guildo

Please attribute other people's work. I'd rather not have a COM 101 discussion on why we attribute individual artists. If their shots are worth sharing, they're worth attributing.

I think you now know you came too far, and now you want to play a kind of morality in a thread of videogame, where naming source has already been done. You sound ridiculous now !

And as I told you, I know how it works, my work already get stolen many times, and you know what ? I didn't care, all I cared about was people loving my works, not my name, there is no author rights for screenshots from ps4. You are funny...

shandy706

in gif mode

one car

Go to the tail-lights, headlights, and exhaust. That's the best way to tell.

I noticed that Horizon 3 has higher poly-count cars than Driveclub when taking pictures too. You can see it with the Atom (fore example) in the headlights.

Also, you should be able to do at least 720p size gifs to show if there are poly switches.

while we're looking at Huayra shots here, I see that Driveclub has modeled the carbon symmetry right: Pagani works it so it mirrors left to right and a V-pattern emerges.
4023420564_7dc216968a_z.jpg

Pretty sure that Forza used to get that wrong. I knew that DC did it right, but not sure about Project CARS, Gran Turismo or Assetto Corsa.

Gestault

while we're looking at Huayra shots here, I see that Driveclub has modeled the carbon symmetry right: Pagani works it so it mirrors left to right and a V-pattern emerges.

Pretty sure that Forza used to get that wrong. I knew that DC did it right, but not sure about Project CARS, Gran Turismo or Assetto Corsa.

That's such an awesome touch. Good eye, too.

Can't speak for the older titles because I can't be bothered to boot an Xbox up, but Horizon 3 gets it right at least.

That's the back sort of "spine" of the Huayra, you can see the start of the exhaust gap at the bottom.

Here's a detail that amazed me.

mQRmyLx.png

This is from a gameplay shot. 4K image, cropped to this square, resized 200% just to make it clearer. The fact that each little indent on each light (so on this car it's basically this whole image x6) has its own reflection, and that each is upside down due to the concave shape, and that it's all being rendered while you're in *gameplay* is crazy.

Most beautiful sky ever :

http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2015/25/1434609774-driveclub-tm-20150618072600.jpg

Better res version.

Can't say I'm a fan of the particle dust though, It ruins the image. In some cases where you want to make the image look dirtier it can look good especially on the Scottish tracks with an overcast dawn but in that pic it is way too heavy and looks pretty nasty. The clouds and use of blue further away from the camera (which so many games miss) look great though.

DD

I just found these non photomode shots of Driveclub in my HDD. These are from that camera moving around before the races, and the last three are from replays. Sorry about the JPG compression. They're old shots. =/

These first two are interesting, because they show the same place under heavy rain, but the lightining conditions and cloud formations are different.

Top Bottom