• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Problems with XBL - WTF is this?

Quagm1r3

hgplayer1 said:
I keep getting disconnected when I go to play Metal Slug.

I had downloaded the trial version a couple days ago and played it that day and today and no problems. I decided to unlock the full version and when it was done i went to play the game again and it auto signed me out.

At first I thought maybe Live just went down so I went back to dash and it automatically signed me back in. I try Metal Slug again and it automatically signed me out again.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Yes, when the problems were first starting I would get this exact issue with not only arcade games but any game, single player or multiplayer. I think I wrote about this in my OP, if you didn't read it :D

My dashboard won't load up all games are fine though, the dashboard just has a small grey 360 with a grey ring of circles pulsating around it, never loads.

Again, already mentioned this in the OP. READ PEOPLE!

M3wThr33

Banned
I have a feeling this must be going in waves.

People get fed up and quit.
Then there's less people on, so it gets better.
People say it's working, so more people try to join.
Then it gets worse again.

I'd also imagine it wasn't just NEW signups that caused this, but imagine what % of 360s are online at any given time. I imagine the last 3 weeks were a LOT of people who haven't played lately getting gifts and showing it off to their family.

hgplayer1

Quagm1r3 said:
Yes, when the problems were first starting I would get this exact issue with not only arcade games but any game, single player or multiplayer. I think I wrote about this in my OP, if you didn't read it :D

Again, already mentioned this in the OP. READ PEOPLE!

to be fair I was actually looking for a possible fix for the problem or to determine if it was just related to all the other problems going on at the moment.

I did not remember reading that anyone had that exact problem and Ive been following this thread pretty closely.

my particular problem has only happened with metal slug and only after I unlocked the full version. The timing of it just seemed kind of odd.

Sullichin said:
Matchmaking in COD4 seems to be totally broken. I can't believe this is still going on.
Yup. It's been relatively fine for me the last few days, but an hour ago it suddenly became very difficult to find a session.

Domino Theory said:
WHAT? The first weekend that Halo 3 was out, there were 1.04 million people online at once playing Halo 3 online and there were no problems with LIVE.

:(
Uh, yes there were. Live was very slow for a few days and Xbox.com hardly worked during the same period.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Same thing for me regarding Metal Slug, I even posted about it in the MS3 thread. After purchasing MS3, anytime I fire it up it disconnects me from Live instantly. Upon quitting MS3, it reconnects to Live automatically. Attempting to connect to Live within MS3 results in an instant error (like it doesn't try to connect, it just instantly fails). This happens ONLY with MS3. Assuming I can get connected to Live in a normal fashion, which right now is only very late at night or early in the morning (otherwise I get the constantly-loading-blades problem), every other XBLA game works fine.

Just another in the long list of reasons why Microsoft is sucking right now.

hgplayer1

Big Nate said:
Same thing for me regarding Metal Slug, I even posted about it in the MS3 thread. After purchasing MS3, anytime I fire it up it disconnects me from Live instantly. Upon quitting MS3, it reconnects to Live automatically. Attempting to connect to Live within MS3 results in an instant error (like it doesn't try to connect, it just instantly fails). This happens ONLY with MS3. Assuming I can get connected to Live in a normal fashion, which right now is only very late at night or early in the morning (otherwise I get the constantly-loading-blades problem), every other XBLA game works fine.

Just another in the long list of reasons why Microsoft is sucking right now.

ah ok. so MS3 related no doubt. thanks for the info.

Sullichin

- Can't play COD4
- 360 freezing constantly whenever I do something Live related (for example sending a voice message while i'm playing HL2)
- Various blades not loading
- Can't play the arcade games I paid for, offline or not.

My 360 is nearly useless.

amrod

cod 4 still no work... it did yesterday night a bit but all day today, nothing :(

sorta sucks they haven't actually said officially what the problem is, or by when do they intend to fix it (makes me think they have no clue wtf is going wrong, it didn't even take World Of Warcraft this long to get its stuff together)

they sure as hell cant blame it on the xmas rush of people getting 360s and taking them online, they know how many consoles they made and should have been prepared

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
yep its still a colossal cluster fuck.
I'm so glad to read Major Nelson has head to CES to represent MS Xbox live:lol ..
hope some people call them out at CES for this horse shit

Quagm1r3

amrod said:
they sure as hell cant blame it on the xmas rush of people getting 360s and taking them online, they know how many consoles they made and should have been prepared

Actually how many consoles are shipped isn't directly related to how many consoles MS thinks they're going to sell.

1. Companies ship more consoles in order to please investors. The more investors are pleased, the more money they invest in Microsoft.

2. It isn't expected that everyone who purchases an Xbox 360 is going to purchase XBL. In fact, most XB360 users don't have XBL.

hgplayer1

I dont think MS is blaming the problems on user load at all. If you listened to Major Nelsons podcast they talk about how there were multiple failures in the system.

Theres also the story that its a result of a DOS attack. I guess nobody knows if its true yet but sounds more likely.

I still dont understand why they havent taken Live down completely yet. I would think to fix it properly they would have to take Live offline?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
hgplayer1 said:
I still dont understand why they havent taken Live down completely yet. I would think to fix it properly they would have to take Live offline?

Because they can't dude. Its not just software and servers.. it's alive

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
vumpler said:
Because they can't dude. Its not just software and servers.. it's alive

Holy shit, I never even entertained the thought that Live had gone self-aware. It all makes sense now. I assume Russian missiles have already been launched and are currently headed this way. Time to crawl under our desks everyone! Duck and cover! :D

amrod

I wonder why "the team" hasn't fixed it yet... because awhile ago major said no one is going home till it's fixed.. 2 weeks later are they all still there 24/7 ?

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
amrod said:
I wonder why "the team" hasn't fixed it yet... because awhile ago major said no one is going home till it's fixed.. 2 weeks later are they all still there 24/7 ?

:lol At some point (almost immediately) it obviously became counter productive, yet they still have the doors barricaded from the outside.

lockdown.JPG

Well Live is still down for me as usual. I haven't been able to connect for over 2 weeks now. At this point, both Major Nelson and E can blow me.

GhaleonEB

The Faceless Master said:
so from CES, they're now at 10 million users, up from 8 million in mid november...

you mean they can't handle a 25% increase?
In June of 2007 year, they forecast hitting 10m members by June of 2008. I think the Live issues are just poor planning.

sinnergy

The Faceless Master said:
so from CES, they're now at 10 million users, up from 8 million in mid november...

you mean they can't handle a 25% increase?
25% is and that only from November. So it's not weird that there are problems for now.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Quagm1r3 said:
Actually how many consoles are shipped isn't directly related to how many consoles MS thinks they're going to sell.

1. Companies ship more consoles in order to please investors. The more investors are pleased, the more money they invest in Microsoft.

2. It isn't expected that everyone who purchases an Xbox 360 is going to purchase XBL. In fact, most XB360 users don't have XBL.

Is it not true that you get 30days free gold with new registered account and xbox360? so therefore they know theres a damn good chance all those christmas folks will be using live?
I mean come the fuck on MS!..seriously

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Dammit, for the last time quit your fucking whining about LIVE not functioning properly. When you all lose EVERY gamesave you have from launch to 2 weeks ago because of the LIVE problems, then you can bitch.

I'm not sure I have it in me to start over in Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata again, but I've already plowed some time back into Mass Effect.

Anyway, continue on with your petty complaints, but I'm watching you assholes :lol .

P.S. Try playing something else other than COD4, I think it's totally borked, but other games have been playing fine online for me.

Big Nate said:
Holy shit, I never even entertained the thought that Live had gone self-aware. It all makes sense now. I assume Russian missiles have already been launched and are currently headed this way. Time to crawl under our desks everyone! Duck and cover! :D

<sigh> I've been preparing for the zombie apocalypse for months, and now that it's beginning, I bet you're all going to come running to me for help. Fat chance! I've already smashed my 360 to save myself, and my canned foods and water jugs are for me and my womenfolk.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Anyone had problems with Halo 3 last night? For a good while matchmaking was really slow for me and it kept restarting search and showing the 'network difficulties' sign. I could only get 2 matches in before I decided to call it quits

game phan

When you all lose EVERY gamesave you have from launch to 2 weeks ago because of the LIVE problems

sorry i don't understand how did live being messed up cause you to lose your game saves on your hard drive...want to make sure i NEVER do what you did or least try to limit it from happening

XGuNn3rX said:
My 360 keeps freezing/acting slow and the dashboard wont load.

Anyone else having similar problems today?

YESSSSSS..... I've been having the same problem for going on a month. Christ-on-a-stick, come on MS, fix this!!!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Every time any game I play is booting up an first logging on to Live (even for single player) there is a long delay that borders on freezing. I can't activate my dashboard, navigate menus, or cancel the action. Nada. Zip. And then, it unfreezes and all seems to be fine. Unless, of course, I try to play COD4. This game has frozen my X360, given me server error messages, random log-offs, random drops, etc.

Is there any news on what the hell is going on and if there is an end in sight to these problems?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DenogginizerOS said:
Every time any game I play is booting up an first logging on to Live (even for single player) there is a long delay that borders on freezing. I can't activate my dashboard, navigate menus, or cancel the action. Nada. Zip. And then, it unfreezes and all seems to be fine. Unless, of course, I try to play COD4. This game has frozen my X360, given me server error messages, random log-offs, random drops, etc.

Is there any news on what the hell is going on and if there is an end in sight to these problems?

The team was working on it but because they weren't allowed to leave the office before it was solved, they starved to death around day 14 and now no one is going to fix it :(

Sirolf

Zack-Morris said:
YESSSSSS..... I've been having the same problem for going on a month. Christ-on-a-stick, come on MS, fix this!!!

Well i'm relieved,i'm not the only one affected by this :(

Cheech

game phan said:
sorry i don't understand how did live being messed up cause you to lose your game saves on your hard drive...want to make sure i NEVER do what you did or least try to limit it from happening

Never recover your gamertag. That's what killed all my saves.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
game phan said:

Apparently, there's a glitch in the gamertag recovery system. Even if you don't delete your profile, OR if you do and choose only profile (not items), if your GT doesn't recover completely, it will delete ALL SAVES without asking, and try again the next time you have a go at it.

For those that got a corrupted profile or just thought about deleting their profile, it doesn't matter which option you choose, it deletes all the saves anyway. Some major fuckup in code writing there.

So what's the word today? Has anyone that has had problems connecting to Live been able to get on today? I'm stuck at work until late, and I don't want to get my hopes up again.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Zack-Morris said:
So what's the word today? Has anyone that has had problems connecting to Live been able to get on today? I'm stuck at work until late, and I don't want to get my hopes up again.

Don't get your hopes up by default. Their status page is a complete lie too. Up and running my ass. It's said that for days now.

probune

I wanted to see if there was anything on video marketplace and I'm getting errors over and over again. This is madness.

eznark

Banned
Are you kidding me? It is STILL fucked up? I honestly can't believe this is simply overload from Christmas.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
gah, just played cod4 for an hour and a half with no issues, my buddy signs on to play with me, and it all goes to hell. no active internet connection errors. boo!

wtf has happened to live? the service has been around for years with almost no issues but since christmas its been entirely hit and miss. did i miss some (non)official reason/excuse?

Top Bottom