• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Xbox won't save to the cloud?

Elysium44

Banned
Since today I get this message when I start Resident Evil 4. The cloud save is 3 days old and it says the latest local save is from yesterday, although I have played the game today for a few hours as well, and it must have been saving somewhere because I can power the console off entirely and upon loading the game, after I 'cancel' the message, I can continue from where I left off earlier.

I am definitely connected to the Xbox network, I can access the store, friends list, achievements etc. and have unlocked achievements today which show up with today's date, so that's not the issue. Xbox's status page on the web says all is well with everything today except for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility.

The other thing I've noticed lately (which I googled and isn't uncommon apparently) is if you select to turn the console off by holding down the controller button and choosing shut down, when I turn it on later, it comes back within a couple of seconds - it wasn't actually shutting down - and yet it didn't download anything either. I can only shut it down fully by going into the power options menu.

aqhHdiI.jpg

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Since today I get this message when I start Resident Evil 4. The cloud save is 3 days old and it says the latest local save is from yesterday, although I have played the game today for a few hours as well, and it must have been saving somewhere because I can power the console off entirely and upon loading the game, after I 'cancel' the message, I can continue from where I left off earlier.

I am definitely connected to the Xbox network, I can access the store, friends list, achievements etc. and have unlocked achievements today which show up with today's date, so that's not the issue. Xbox's status page on the web says all is well with everything today except for Xbox 360 backwards compatibility.

The other thing I've noticed lately (which I googled and isn't uncommon apparently) is if you select to turn the console off by holding down the controller button and choosing shut down, when I turn it on later, it comes back within a couple of seconds - it wasn't actually shutting down - and yet it didn't download anything either. I can only shut it down fully by going into the power options menu.

aqhHdiI.jpg
Shutting down from the menus is normal. Well that's how you do a full shutdown whether it's normal or should be better is a diff discussion.

I used to get that message on playstation a lot. Never seen it on xbox. The upload is obviously failing. You can check if Cloud Sync is enabled for the game you're playing. To do this, go to "My games & apps" on your Xbox and select the game you're having issues with. Press the "Menu" button on your controller and select "Manage game & add-ons". From there, select "Saved data" and check if Cloud Sync is enabled for the game.

If Cloud Sync is enabled for the game, the next step would be to try manually syncing your game saves. To do this, go to "Settings" on your Xbox and select "System" > "Storage" > "Cloud saved games". From there, select the game you're having issues with and choose "Sync now".

If it still fails then od clear the cache on your xbox and try again:

Elysium44

Banned
Shutting down from the menus is normal. Well that's how you do a full shutdown whether it's normal or should be better is a diff discussion.
Thanks for the advice. The failure to shut down properly when selecting 'turn off console' is a new thing, for the rest of the year plus I've had the console it's shut down properly from there. It's no big deal except perhaps it indicates something is wrong somewhere.

I used to get that message on playstation a lot. Never seen it on xbox. The upload is obviously failing. You can check if Cloud Sync is enabled for the game you're playing. To do this, go to "My games & apps" on your Xbox and select the game you're having issues with. Press the "Menu" button on your controller and select "Manage game & add-ons". From there, select "Saved data" and check if Cloud Sync is enabled for the game.
When I do this and select 'Saved data' it shows one item and doesn't specify whether cloud sync is enabled for the game. Pressing the menu button while selecting the save only gives one option, to delete the save.

If Cloud Sync is enabled for the game, the next step would be to try manually syncing your game saves. To do this, go to "Settings" on your Xbox and select "System" > "Storage" > "Cloud saved games". From there, select the game you're having issues with and choose "Sync now".
When I go System - Storage devices, it makes no mention of cloud saved games. It just says change installation locations, clear local saved games and clear local Xbox 360 storage. When I select the game, there is no 'sync now' option.

I tried deleting the local save for another game and then started it, it downloaded the cloud save - so cloud save syncing is working, at least in that direction. I then tried RE4 again and it's still broken. When you 'cancel' it comes up with the syncing message for a second but can't be doing any syncing.

I daren't clear the cache because it will apparently involve wiping all my local saves which means I'll lose a lot of RE4 play time going back to the 3-day old cloud save.

Another strange thing I just noticed: earlier it said the Jan 17th save was 22.15MB, now after playing again briefly and saving again, it says the Jan 17th save is 22.23MB. So is it in fact saving locally but the Xbox is confused about the date? I mean the date in my time zone is the 18th so it makes no sense.

edit - now after more play and saves, it says the local save is 24.20MB, but the exact same time and date as before. This Xbox is very confused. I should point out also that I always shut the game down by quitting it, I don't use fast resume. Also I double checked my console's system time and date, and it is correct.

Last edited:
Top Bottom