• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on the BG3 save issue on Xbox: "We’re doing everything we can to ensure this problem - which we understand is unique - is resolved asap"

We’re aware that there is a save issue on Xbox that continues to linger throughout the holidays. It occurs when exiting the game after saving. The game thinks the save was successful but due to a firmware issue, the save file is not fully committed to disk yet.

Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working on it but obviously during the holidays everyone is working at lower capacity so it may take a while before a proper fix becomes available.
For the time being we can offer a work-around via the Larian cross-save system.

1. Create a Larian account at https://larian.com/account.
2. Go to the options menu from the main menu. Under gameplay, activate cross-saves, linking your Larian and Xbox accounts.
3. From now on, your last 5 saves will automatically be uploaded to the larian servers. It is important that you do not exit the game before the upload is finished. The upload is finished when the message “Syncing cloud save” is no longer visible.
4. If the firmware bug occurs, you will need to re-activate the cross-save functionality in the options screen. This will give you access to the save games that were successfully uploaded.
We will make this process more fluid and extend the number of save games that get uploaded in the coming days.

We completely understand that losing progress is frustrating, and unacceptable. We’re doing everything we can to ensure this problem - which we understand is unique - is resolved as quickly as possible, and we’ll keep you up to date with progress.

35cent

Yeah I'm waiting for this to be fixed before I dive into it. I've got other stuff to play so they can take their time if they want.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Stephen A Smith Eye Roll GIF by ESPN

Larian lying through their teeth again. The obviously hate the Xbox platform. First, it was the bs technical issues on the S now it's this! Liras I say!

Chukhopops

So do other games do this? If not then it's a Larian issue.
The only other game to have save issues was The Lamplighters’ League but the entire game was broken as hell at launch, it was basically unfinishable on console.

I think the issue is that the Larian cross-save thing and the MS Cloud save thing work differently and create conflicts, you can see it if you play the game on multiple Xbox consoles as launching the game (without saving) will create a new local save that will then conflict with your existing cloud one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
If it was a firmware issue other games would be having this problem.

If it weren't a firmware problem, why is MS working on this issue?

ManaByte

Gold Member
The only other game to have save issues was The Lamplighters’ League but the entire game was broken as hell at launch, it was basically unfinishable on console.

I think the issue is that the Larian cross-save thing and the MS Cloud save thing work differently and create conflicts, you can see it if you play the game on multiple Xbox consoles as launching the game (without saving) will create a new local save that will then conflict with your existing cloud one.
All UbiSoft games do the exact same thing though without issues. Both AC Mirage and Avatar sync saves between Xbox, PS, and PC via the UbiSoft account AND there's no conflict with MS cloud saves.

It's obviously something with Larian and they're blaming firmware when no other games are having this problem. I've synced saves between Xbox and PS5 with AC Mirage without problems and didn't lose any progression on Xbox.

If they say it's a firmware issue it means they are using an XDK API the way it should be and it doesn't work somehow. Maybe others devs discovered this API bug and decided not to use this feature.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
If it weren't a firmware problem, why is MS working on this issue?
Probably because Larian opened a support ticket with Microsoft support. Microsoft has a developer technical support team that can be engaged when you can't resolve an issue on your own.

My guess is they will do what Microsoft technical support always does on the software side. Microsoft engineers will research it and come back and give the developer suggestions for how to change their software to make it work with the platform.

Top Bottom