• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox says its consoles will remain the ‘flagship’ experience and the only place for Game Pass

Draugoth

Gold Member
xbox-series-consoles-1440x810.jpg

Xbox has pledged that its consoles will continue to be the best way to play its games, and that access to those games will not be removed in the near future.

As part of its statement on the future of the Xbox business, an article on the Xbox blog states that Xbox consoles “will continue to provide a flagship experience for players”.

It also notes that Game Pass “will continue to be only available on Xbox platforms”, essentially shooting down suggestions that it may come to PlayStation or Nintendo systems in the future.

The statement also appears to dismiss concerns that players’ Xbox libraries will be shut down in the future, saying the company’s “commitment to game preservation is unwavering”.

“Xbox players should have confidence in building your digital library in the Xbox ecosystem,”

it says.

“We will continue to reward that with the most robust, player-friendly experiences, including backwards compatibility, cross-play, cross-save progression, convenient cloud gaming, and more.”

It also makes the following promises for Xbox players:

• “The biggest games in the world will be on Xbox. ”
  • “Our games will come to Game Pass day one.”
  • “A robust and innovative multi-year hardware roadmap.”
  • “Compatibility with your library is a priority, inclusive of cross-play, cross-save, and robust cloud features.”
  • “Xbox will continue to help game creators find the biggest audience possible.”
Source

Saber

Gold Member
I wouldn't expect any different, unless they were creating consoles for nothing. I presume thats the supposed new strategy, games everywhere but GP only on Xbox.

Elios83

Please be confident in building your Xbox digital library :messenger_tears_of_joy: :pie_roffles:

LOL can't believe the PR team felt it was needed even to damage control that.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Sarah bond also said they they will share the next gen roadmap this holiday and want to make it the largest technical leap in any generation

It’s weird that they waited for all of this when they could’ve just tweeted it out the moment rumor started circulating.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The real superior experience is on PC for anything coming to consoles.

This bad PR facade is one of the many blunders of the Xbox operation throughout the years.

They handled this even more poorly than I could have imagined.

skyfinch

Awesome news! And with Sony talking about multiplatforms, Xbox will soon get God or War, Gran Turisom Sport, Foamstars, PS+ and possibly psvr2 in the future.
I love being a gamer!!

C2brixx

That's really all I needed to hear. Gamepass on Xbox/PC then that's where I'll be. The value is just too good. Now if Gamepass was go to other platforms that would be a more decision for me. Everything thing else is just noise. Playstation/Nintendo gamer can pay $70 for Sea of Theives. I couldn't care less.

They just trying to do what Sony are doing on pc . Betting Xbox fans will stay. But there is big difference in jumping to pc then jumping to another console like PlayStation.

DJ12

Phil paints the negative (Sony and Ninentdo telling him to get fucked) as a positive.

But I'll take the confirmation that gamepass will not be coming to switch or PlayStation as a great bit of news. If they are expecting PlayStation and switch owners to buy their games, they will hopefully improve the Q & A process.

It will remain the only place for Game Pass because the other platform holders won't allow the service on their platforms. Xbox will remain the "flagship" experience because giving in and shutting down is Microsoft throwing in the towel.

This entire decision by Microsoft is their only move, because of exactly what Phil has said on that infamous podcast where he explained that Starfield could be an 11/10 game and still not sell Xboxes. He is correct. Even a game as big now as Halo was in 2001 can NOT legitimize the platform. Need proof? How many of you would actually buy an Xbox for a game like Halo? Very few.

This is NOT to say exclusives don't matter. It's just having a small platform is absolutely going to kill the ROI on the huge publishers they paid for. Microsoft needs more players to be fans of the games they make. The long game of this is having leverage over Sony and Nintendo. Because if you have a multiplatform game that is huge, and one day you decide to make it a Game Pass exclusive, you can either rake in the dough and capitalize on your own platform - OR you can use that as leverage on a competitor's platform.

This is Microsoft's end game. I don't really see the Xbox platform surviving long term, and it's pretty clear Microsoft doesn't really care. They'll put some money toward it because they can, but really they are going to be making money either way.

Gambit2483

So basically this wasn't the deathkneel many were predicting?

I still say 2024 will be a make or break year for Xbox. If their 2nd half is as promising as it should be then they will very much remain a major player in this industry.

Killjoy-NL

Ofcourse GP wouldn't come to PS and Nintendo.

Apart from it never happening as long as MS is still a platform-holder in the console-space, they would suffer major losses to get 3rd party onto GP on competing platforms.
And nobody is going to pay a sub fee for just Xbox games.

Last edited:
Top Bottom